[GT6][Endurance] 2017 Mid-Field Sportscar Trophy @ Mid-Field RacewayFinished 

Denmark
Upside-down in the final corner
rallymorten
Mid-Field Sportscar Trophy
2017 Edition

Date and time:

March 4, 2017, 20:00 CET
(click to see a countdown. Work out what that means in your own time from there, or find a list of time zones)

When Gran Turismo 2 was released in 1999/2000, it was clear right from the start that this would be bigger and better than the original, with many more cars to take for a spin around many more circuits.

One of the circuits that first appeared in Gran Turismo 2 was a figure-eight track by the name of Mid-Field Raceway. It consisted mainly of medium- and high speed corners, with a single hairpin following a trickly left-right corner combo marking the slowest point of a lap.

Quickly earning its reputation as a fan favorite circuit, it would go on to feature in both major PlayStation 2 releases, Gran Turismo 3 and 4, although it received a redesigned first corner, essentially turning it into a double-apex, somewhat similar to Turn 8 at Istanbul Park.

It, along with Apricot Hill, disappeared from the track roster for Gran Turismo 5. At first, it was believed this meant the end for what was recognised as one of the 14 best tracks in Gran Turismo history. It might only be a tied 10th, but never mind about that.

Fast forward to February, 2015. Polyphony Digital themselves announce the return of Mid-Field Raceway, recreated in full then-current-gen glory - reworked scenery (featuring an interesting spectator area in the final tunnel), time- and weather changeability (although, unfortunately, racing at midnight is impossible - why can we not have 24 Hours of Mid-Field), but most importantly - the track itself was basically unchanged.

After that, it was only a matter of moments for a logical "welcome back"-event to be staged, in much the same fashion as Polyphony usually greeted original tracks new to the series - a 2-hour endurance race, which was called Mid-Field Sportscar Trophy and featured three classes that in hindsight appears quite similar to what we can expect of Gr. 1, Gr. 3 and Gr. 4 in GT Sport, set for release later in 2017.

This event is run to the GTPlanet OnLine Racing Rules & Guidelines.

In the inevitable event that a car of a faster class needs to lap a car of a slower class, it is adviced that the slower car continues to race as they normally would, i.e. stick to the racing line in the corners and leave the job of overtaking them to the faster car.

Deliberately attempting to ruin the other drivers' race (beyond what should be expected, i.e. deliberately ramming into another car or zig-zagging down a straight (only o-ne change of line is allowed)), in any situation similar to this or during the race in general will not be tolerated and should be avoided.

Race type: Endurance Race (timed)
Qualifying: Yes (in GT6 Community Club)
Start Time: 10:00
Weather settings: TBA

Race quality: standard
Voice quality: standard*

Boost: none
Penalty: none
Tire wear/fuel consumption: Normal
Grip reduction: Real
Visible damage: On
Mechanical damage: Heavy
Slipstream strength: Real
Banned assists: Skid Recovery Force, Active Steering, Active Stability Management

*Preferably, voice chat can be moved to a third-party service (i.e. Skype, Discord etc.) to relieve some stress from the game. Should this be impossible, Voice quality will be set to normal.

latest

Mid-Field Raceway is a high speed circuit with only a few really slow bits to connect them.

The first corner used to be one long, flowing corner, but was changed in Gran Turismo 4 to a two-part corner almost similar to Turn 8 at Istanbul Park, requiring a double-apex approach - enter the first section from the left, clip the apex and swing out left again before repeating the procedure for the final half. Be careful, though - the road is quite narrow.

Following this is the very fast right-left of turns 3 and 4, which can be negotiated flat out in most vehicles. The straights surrounding these corners can be used for negotiating slower traffic, which may be a risky maneuver in the corners.

Turns 5 and 6 are basically a mirrored version of the first two, requiring a largely similar approach, with Turn 6 feeding you into the 180-and-a-bit degree Turn 7. Focus your driving line on getting a good exit, as the following straight can provide a good overtaking chance, but be wary of other drivers noticing you leave a huge gap on your inside.

The combination of turns 8, 9 and 10 are the trickiest corners on the track. You'll want to keep as much speed as possible through 8 and 9, but don't wait too long before slowing down, or you run the risk of locking your brakes and losing control. Remember, braking is done most easily and efficiently when in a straight line. Again, focus should be more on how you get out of the hairpin, as there are no more slow-down-zones on the lap and most cars will be flat out from now on.

The final two corners appear simple on the map, but the crest near the end of Turn 12 may upset the balance of your car and cost you a good run down the straight, making you vulnerable for a good ten seconds or so, depending on class.

Cars participating in this event will race in one of three classes, based on vehicle type and their Performance Point rating. These classes are the same as the ones first used in the original Mid-Field Sportscar Trophy and most recently used in the 2016 Trial Mountain 2 Hours.

Please note that all-wheel drive is only allowed in the 500PP Modified Production class, and that cars "powered or aided by magic or other non-traditional sources", including, but not exclusively, cars such as the Chaparral 2J Fan Car, Red Bull X201x-series vehicles and Chaparral 2X laser powered cars are subject to further PP-restrictions or outright ban.

Click a spoiler tag for more information on each individual class.

Trial Mountain Circuit_36.jpg

The 500PP category may be the slowest class in the event, but history suggests this will also feature the most varied car list.

The car must be based on a production model, i.e. a vehicle that is/was commercially available from its original manufacturer. You are allowed to make modifications to it, such as apply a rear wing, upgrade the engine etc.

Generally, a production car can be described as anything built for the road. Track cars, such as the LCC Rocket featured in the image above, fall in a grey zone, but are generally allowed. Concept cars and cars upgraded by a designated tuning company are not allowed.

All in all, this results in a class that appears very similar to a hybrid of what we know of GT Sports Gr.4 and Gr.N.
Trial Mountain Circuit_37.jpg

The 600PP class is about mid-field in terms of performance, and usually consist of GT and high level Touring race cars that must be bought as a race-ready model.

The class appears similar to GT Sports Gr.3.
Trial Mountain Circuit_38.jpg

The 680PP class is for the fastest cars and the class which will likely take overall victory. The relatively high PP limit aims this class squarely at Le Mans Prototypes and other high-end racing models.

The class appears similar to GT Sports Gr.1.

Last edited:
Definitely interested in the 680 PP class! I'll pass this along in case anyone else is interested!

I'll also make my car choice when I get the chance :)

Is there any cars that are banned in the 680 pp class or?

I'm definetly interested in this however my birthday is on February 19th so we will see if I'm free the day before my birthday

Is there any cars that are banned in the 680 pp class or?

I'm definetly interested in this however my birthday is on February 19th so we will see if I'm free the day before my birthday

I think I'll keep it as simple as possible for this one and only exclude cars with more than two wheel drive. I will give the creativity award for anyone not taking the Hybride, though :)

Well, well, talk about timing. That's gotta be extra motivation, right? *nudge*

I'm currently debating whether or not to bring The Mighty V12 back too. Admittedly, it was terrible on a track like Trial Mountain, but it might just be better on a slightly faster track.

I should perhaps clarify - the voice chat thing is only in case I decide to do another live stream. The only way we can have everybody's voice on it is if we run it through, for instance, Skype, which has been proven to work. If I'm not streaming, we'll likely just stick to the in-game one.

Change of plans @rallymorten, I want to do a road car, but saw I can only go as high as 600 PP. My Saturday's should be work-free now, so I could sign up and be sure to make it. Car yet to be announced.

Two more clarifications:

1. @RoadRageDudez, I have currently moved you from the 600PP class to the 500PP class, partly because your car is based on a production model, partly to protect what little balance there is in these classes (I have a slight suspicion the dedicated race cars, with their huge aero advantage, will straight up murder you. That tends to happen.) If you do not wish this, I can make an exception, but you have been warned.
  2. Speaking of interesting cars trying to make their way into the race and likely break the balance, someone (who's apparently banned but has "informants") has entered a 2J for Group 1. Due to the nature of this car, I will either impose a restriction (will likely restrict the Hybride as well in that case) or ban it outright. I should probably add that, as with Trial Mountain 2 Hours, cars "powered or aided by magic or other non-traditional sources" will be subject to the above.

Last edited:
Two more clarifications:

1. @RoadRageDudez, I have currently moved you from the 600PP class to the 500PP class, partly because your car is based on a production model, partly to protect what little balance there is in these classes (I have a slight suspicion the dedicated race cars, with their huge aero advantage, will straight up murder you. That tends to happen.) If you do not wish this, I can make an exception, but you have been warned.
  2. Speaking of interesting cars trying to make their way into the race and likely break the balance, someone (who's apparently banned but has "informants") has entered a 2J for Group 1. Due to the nature of this car, I will either impose a restriction (will likely restrict the Hybride as well in that case) or ban it outright. I should probably add that, as with Trial Mountain 2 Hours, cars "powered or aided by magic or other non-traditional sources" will be subject to the above.

My car is on the entry list now, I was gonna do a tune based on the Viper GT3-R. With the right tune, the car will have intense straightline speed. I'd still like to enter in the 600PP class if possible, because I'm used to driving the car reliably and consistently, I'd feel that the V10 beast would stand a fair chance against GT3 Machinery ;)

..I mean, if you feel like you're up to it, I can make an exception, put you in 600PP, allow you to see how well it fares compared to bespoke racing material and make your decision from there.

..I mean, if you feel like you're up to it, I can make an exception, put you in 600PP, allow you to see how well it fares compared to bespoke racing material and make your decision from there.

I'm still interested, but I'm not going to confirm anything yet. Plus, I have other plans in terms of drivers, however I'll disclose these at a later date.

We don't play with teams.

Not officially, no, but..

..if they do work together, they do have the advantage of having a car they can use as a guinea pig for when it's time to switch to dry/wet tyres (and yes, I want rain on this one, for reasons of it not being a thing in GTS).

I was about to ask just how many you were planning to enter. That's literally half the 500PP field right now.

@Richie massie I will need you to fill in the form found in the first post, under "Important links".

I was about to ask just how many you were planning to enter. That's literally half the 500PP field right now.

@Richie massie I will need you to fill in the form found in the first post, under "Important links".
Done :)

Which Tyres are allowed ?? And also, I'm guessing Nos is banned right ??

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm also interested to join with this race, most likely in the 600pp class so i'll have to test with wich GT car i'll go.

Tyres are unrestricted, and nitrous counts as a "non-traditional source" and is thus banned.

Right, time for some more considerations in terms of car choice because I'm impatient like that.

I've built one car that I figured would be good. Managed a low 1:15, comfortably around mid 1:15s, possibly able to break into the 1:14s on a perfect lap. Then took out The Mighty V12. Immediately 1.5 seconds faster. Gets quite twitchy in the rain, though.

Back