GT6 Mt Panorama demo at EB Expo, Sydney

• Thread starter Flunkus
  • 323 comments
What's wrong then?

Looks pretty good to me.

Really not sure why people keep complaining about this track. The only single difference I notice at all (and I didn't until I saw people whining about it) is on the left bend before the Corkscrew, there's a barrier on the inside beside the road. But in real life it hasn't been that way since 2003 or 2004. Instead, there's some gravel/sand there and the wall is further to the left.

I think this is why people are saying Laguna Seca is not up to date and is a 2003 or w/e model, but I really fail to see anything else. I think LS looks quite nice and I'm happy the way it is. Definitely up to GT5 standard IMO unlike people are saying -- although yes, I would prefer that one section reflect how it currently is. But hardly anything to have a fit about as some people around here have been doing.

Maybe that's the impression that you get because all is seen at a far distance and you see more but really the track becomes narrower.

fov2cxqtz.gif

Anyway that is aproximate, your photos were not taken at the same angle, but you can get the idea.

That illustrates it well, thanks:tup:👍

This.

PD seems to shout about their links to manufacturers, how GTA turns gamers into racing drivers. But this only gets a mention in a blog, be it a large one, but not at E3, TGS or anywhere else including their own site?

Something doesn't add up, and the guys interviews are known for translation errors, so excuse people if they still seem skeptical.

I personally think they don't advertise it much because either A) They don't realize that its a selling point, much like how 6 man-months for a car and 1 man year for a track isn't a selling point to the fans, or B) Since all tracks aren't laser scanned or up to the standard of the new tracks, and since all cars aren't premium they can't really advertise laser scanned cars and tracks.

I personally think they don't advertise it much because either A) They don't realize that its a selling point, much like how 6 man-months for a car and 1 man year for a track isn't a selling point to the fans, or B) Since all tracks aren't laser scanned or up to the standard of the new tracks, and since all cars aren't premium they can't really advertise laser scanned cars and tracks.
Or C) they don't.

Maybe that's the impression that you get because all is seen at a far distance and you see more but really the track becomes narrower.

Anyway that is aproximate, your photos were not taken at the same angle, but you can get the idea.

I'm gonna do a new comparison with the exact same angle. I'm gonna use a tripod :)

How many of the millions that buy Gran Turismo even know the difference of track rendering techniques?

No one has that answer. Do you have a specific number in mind before you would allow us to discuss this topic on GTP?

No one has that answer. Do you have a specific number in mind before you would allow us to discuss this topic on GTP?

Is the concept of an open ended question new to you? Assuming things is a sign you don't understand what the point is.

People don't need to know the different techniques for you to sell the best one to them as something positive. I'm pretty sure most people don't have a clue what adaptive tessellation is but PD still sold it to people as being something good.

People are happy its included. The accuracy of "down to 1 cm" (if applied to this track) imo is an added plus.

Where did anyone say otherwise? I accept the track was laser scanned if Kaz said it was, we were simply curious why PD don't promote that if they do it for all tracks in recent years. "Not many people would know what they're talking about" is not really a valid reason, the previously mentioned adaptive tessellation being proof of that.

Where did anyone say otherwise? I accept the track was laser scanned if Kaz said it was, we were simply curious why PD don't promote that if they do it for all tracks in recent years. "Not many people would know what they're talking about" is not really a valid reason, the previously mentioned adaptive tessellation being proof of that.
They never promoted the laser scan in cars, why the tracks should be different? they just expect that the results speaks for itself, not the technique.

No laser scan promotion can compete with this simple to understand concept:

My guess is not many tracks are laser scanned and maybe they are afraid that by pointing out the few that are, they will highlight the fact that most aren't. But your guess is as good as mind, hard to figure out where PD is on a lot of things. :dopey:

They never promoted the laser scan in cars, why the tracks should be different? they just expect that the results speaks for itself, not the technique.

No laser scan promotion can compete with this simple to understand concept:

It's the only known way of having pixel perfect tracks. There's not a single GT5 track that is and from what we know it goes up to Silverstone, included.

If anything laser scanning is the biggest reason why iRacing is praised by real life racing drivers, because it's the actual thing, with the perfect layout, with all the elevation changes made properly, all bumps are there, holes and imperfections and the curbs are of the right height. Actually for players -not drivers- it is quite comforting knowing for sure that they are experiencing the real thing.

That means the tracks made so far aren't future proof. When the standard of the industry increases to everyone using laser scanning then PD will have to make all the real life circuits...again.

edit: And lets be honest, in TG Clarkson himself said the Laguna Seca available in GT5 (who knows if in GT6) is wrong to the point there's a missing corner.

Last edited:
PD do laser scan their tracks, check out the latest GTP new article.

"While speaking with the New York Times, Kazunori also hinted at Polyphony Digital’s process of digitizing a track, which involves laser scans and over 100,000 images taken from helicopters, satellites, and workers on the ground."

My guess is not many tracks are laser scanned and maybe they are afraid that by pointing out the few that are, they will highlight the fact that most aren't. But your guess is as good as mind, hard to figure out where PD is on a lot of things. :dopey:

When I was watching the Bathurst gameplay video, I thought that I saw the car bouncing around a lot on the track going down the two long straights. There were also sealed cracks on the surface of the track. I am assuming that they laser scanned Bathurst.

PD do laser scan their tracks, check out the latest GTP new article.

"While speaking with the New York Times, Kazunori also hinted at Polyphony Digital’s process of digitizing a track, which involves laser scans and over 100,000 images taken from helicopters, satellites, and workers on the ground."

Yes but there is no indication when that started. Until that interview they've always spoke of using GPS data and pictures, not laser scanning.

Laser scanning doesn't necessarily mean pixel perfect data levels either. Most likely data is pruned to a manageable level, otherwise you'd have massive polygon counts and GB worth of mesh detail!

So it could be used just to get the correct relations of the major points on the track, rather than 1mm worth of difference that you would never feel

Laser scanning doesn't necessarily mean pixel perfect data levels either. Most likely data is pruned to a manageable level, otherwise you'd have massive polygon counts and GB worth of mesh detail! So it could be used just to get the correct relations of the major points on the track, rather than 1mm worth of difference that you would never feel

Yeah, the level of the scanning isn't exactly the same as how iRacing scans their tracks.

Yeah, the level of the scanning isn't exactly the same as how iRacing scans their tracks.

We don't know really, but the truck that was scanning Bathurst was seen going around a lot, ie more than once, so it's not just truck with cameras onboard....

later in the vid at 2:15

Yes but there is no indication when that started. Until that interview they've always spoke of using GPS data and pictures, not laser scanning.

Probably for GT4, all tracks in the game since GT4 have been very accurate.

Last edited:
We don't know really, but the truck that was scanning Bathurst was seen going around a lot, ie more than once, so it's not just truck with cameras onboard.... later in the vid at 2:15 <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYwbJp_w4KU">YouTube Link</a>

True, we don't really know how much level that they put into the scanning.

When I was watching the Bathurst gameplay video, I thought that I saw the car bouncing around a lot on the track going down the two long straights. There were also sealed cracks on the surface of the track. I am assuming that they laser scanned Bathurst.

Maybe Bathurst is the turning point towards more and more accuracy in track mapping. Hope so:tup:

Laser scanning doesn't necessarily mean pixel perfect data levels either. Most likely data is pruned to a manageable level, otherwise you'd have massive polygon counts and GB worth of mesh detail!

So it could be used just to get the correct relations of the major points on the track, rather than 1mm worth of difference that you would never feel

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/gt6-how-video-games-can-influence-sports-car-design/?_r=1

1 cm actually which seems pretty good to me.

“For a single track, we take over 100,000 photos and laser scan the track surface, and we also use images captured from helicopters and satellites,” Mr. Yamauchi said. “The discrepancy of track accuracy is down to plus or minus one centimeter. We do the same for cars; we take several hundred photos for each car, laser scan the surface, the exterior, the interior, the instrument panels.”

Just letting you guys know that the download link for the original file has exceeded its traffic limit and is now unavailable. If people are still interested in attaining the original file, I'll look into hosting alternatives. Thanks so much for watching, and again I apologise for the poor quality and speaking through it! (:

Thanks for all of your really nice 'welcome's as well!

Back