GT6 Mt Panorama demo at EB Expo, Sydney

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 6' started by Flunkus, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Mini Stiggy

Mini Stiggy Premium

You have no need to thank us, we should be the ones thanking you!

2. trustjab

trustjab

The hell are you talking about? :lol: Random reply or you just looking for someone to disagree with? You say he doesn't promote it, yet you heard about it from the press. Is not the press used to promote a product?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

That was GT4. It is not a missing corner. He was referring to the corner after the start before the hairpin. In GT4 it's flat, in the real car it caught him by surprise.

By the way, laser scanning doesn't future proof the track. The Iracing team themselves said that they have to go back to tracks to rescan them because the weather/seasons change the tarmac.

How many of the 10 million people who bought GT5 knows what laser scanning is? It is funny though that they talked about adaptive tessellation as if we all knew what it was!

4. Imari

Imari

Laser scanning is fairly self-explanatory, it's just scanning with a laser. You can have never heard of it before, and you've got a reasonable explanation right there in the title.

Adaptive tessellation on the other hand, I reckon most of the general public had to look up the word tessellation the first time they saw that. And then look up how having such a thing be adaptive was actually helpful.

5. gtracedriver1

gtracedriver1

PD tracks are very accurate and can be used by to know braking points and corner exit speed. They are pretty good in it. So that is of least worries IMO.

6. Samus

Samus

I was referring to big scale promotion, ie in promotional videos and on their website, where most people would see it. Not in one random interview. Look at all the technical things they promote in the first video and on the website, that's what I mean.

7. Nielsen

Nielsen

That's not the point is it? Scanning with a laser does not really say why that is beneficial compared to using, let's say, a blow dryer.

8. Vspectra

Vspectra

Isnt gt6 the only current gen game using adaptive tesselation? They're probably boasting about it because of how difficult it was to achieve on the ps3, when its really technology that is only thought of to be achievable with next gen platforms. You don't see PD boasting about laser scanned cars on their website either, or used as a huge PR point, we only know because it's mentioned in interviews.

9. trustjab

trustjab

:lol: random interview? THE NEW YORK TIMES speaking with Kaz is no random interview.
    Right. Thats why they can say something like "accurately modeled tracks" and people will recognize that. "Laser scanned tracks" is a technical term not many would say is the best track modelling. Even if it is, like you said, how many of GT's customers understand what that even means?

10. Spagetti69

Spagetti69 Premium

Well the blow dryer is obviously a better method, they get the engine sounds too.

11. trustjab

trustjab

Everyone says this, but my g.f uses a blow dryer everyday and nothing on GT5 sounds like it. More like too much high pitch whine that sounds closer to transmission noise.

12. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Premium

I think you'd would be hard pressed to find someone over the age of 8 who wouldn't understand what the term "laser scanned tracks" means. Even if you've never heard of the term, it's not hard to figure out intuitively.

13. Samus

Samus

Ok take out the word random if you like. Now what is your reply?

You seem to keep dodging the fact they have this on their website:

If they could explain that there is no reason they couldn't explain the benefits of laser scanning. That's all we're saying, I don't know why you felt the need to turn it into a huge discussion.

14. Inferno251

Inferno251

This pretty much is what this thread has become...

15. HoneyBadger

HoneyBadger

+1:tup:

16. trustjab

trustjab

You have no point.

I wasn't aware GT6 was released for you to make your claims of laser scanning being left out of selling points. And me 'dodging' things is ludicrous. I don't spend my days on gtplanet looking for or picking apart posts trying to find fault in someone's opinions. You don't know what PD wants to highlight. Plus theres no indication every track is laser scanned. Adaptive Tessalation is an aspect used throughout gameplay. Nothing has shown laser scanned tracks are of the same relevance. Keep searching though. One day you'll find your pen pal that likes to have these 'discussions' you say.

And as for your comment johnny, not many 8 year olds know what laser scanning even is. Kids at that age think lasers are on their buzz lightyear toys. :dopey:

17. Imari

Imari

And no 8 year olds will have any idea what adaptive tesselation is, or advanced tyre/suspension/aero models.

Of all the things in GT6, laser scanning is probably the most self-explanatory and the easiest to explain to someone. "Lasers measure things very accurately, so we get very accurate measurements of the track dimensions."

It's also a shockingly big deal for physical realism, at least if you're scanning to a resolution that allows you to pick up the bumps on the surface of the track. I'd say +/- 1cm probably allows for that, at least to the extent that would transmit through the tyres.

18. TheeFrogmanlego

TheeFrogmanlego (Banned)

Adaptive tessellation is basically real time LOD, instead of having tne LOD the car morphs its polygons up or down... :tup: meaning we can have the photo mode detail in game , at least we see it that way when we get closer ;)

19. eran0004

eran0004 Premium

:tup:

20. Froudeybrand

Froudeybrand

Guys GT6 Demo, is at Harvey Norman Bathurst they are using it in a race against some drivers I will try and get some footage.

Also apparently they have a copy of GT6 to give away a physical game disc or the gt6 Bathurst demo disc lol

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013
  21. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Staff Emeritus

Cue epic amounts of scrambling for said disc.

Interesting!

22. TokoTurismo

TokoTurismo

Imagine a physical copy, lucky. o.o

23. Conquerer

Conquerer

Someone already said it, but that was GT4. I suspect you may know that and you're pretending the Laguna Seca in GT4 is "available in GT5," but you're wrong, it's a different track. That first bend is actually a corner in GT5. The whole track received a rework since GT4. Even with that inaccurate section it's a new track from the ground up, as was specifically said by Kaz. If you don't want to believe it, fine.

24. Froudeybrand

Froudeybrand

They loaded a demo in the disc and it said gt6 prototype I am video random things and will post up later tonight.

25. T_Exige

T_Exige Premium

Maybe a bit late, but thanks for the video, always nice to see some new gameplay. The straight at the end looks fun.

26. fastboysmith

fastboysmith

The guys that played it had a far go. One guy got his car well up on 2 wheels going threw turn one

27. Froudeybrand

Froudeybrand

My nephew got good air and rolled it was a pisser.

28. 05XR8

05XR8

What track is this?

29. chippy60

chippy60

Hey glad to see someone on here was there!
    I work there, I ended up having about a 20min go. Looks & feels really good!
    Track doesn't feel tight while racing but we were only doing time trials without any other cars.
    The sony rep who brought it was taking it back after close & said he didn't know if there was any stall for it up at the mountain this weekend.
    No one got a copy of it, The winner of the comp is getting a copy of GT6...when it gets released. I took a couple of videos of the guys racing & will try & upload them in the next few days!

30. chippy60

chippy60

I hit the curbs too hard a few times & rolled aswell.
    The brakes felt a lot different to GT5 & even the GT academy demo, all aids were off except abs on 1 & felt like it was locking the rears on hard braking. Felt very different but a big improvement I think.