GT6 Mt Panorama demo at EB Expo, Sydney

• Thread starter Flunkus
  • 323 comments
Just letting you guys know that the download link for the original file has exceeded its traffic limit and is now unavailable. If people are still interested in attaining the original file, I'll look into hosting alternatives. Thanks so much for watching, and again I apologise for the poor quality and speaking through it! (:

Thanks for all of your really nice 'welcome's as well!

You have no need to thank us, we should be the ones thanking you!

Where did anyone say otherwise? I accept the track was laser scanned if Kaz said it was, we were simply curious why PD don't promote that if they do it for all tracks in recent years. "Not many people would know what they're talking about" is not really a valid reason, the previously mentioned adaptive tessellation being proof of that.

The hell are you talking about? :lol: Random reply or you just looking for someone to disagree with? You say he doesn't promote it, yet you heard about it from the press. Is not the press used to promote a product?

Last edited:
It's the only known way of having pixel perfect tracks. There's not a single GT5 track that is and from what we know it goes up to Silverstone, included.

If anything laser scanning is the biggest reason why iRacing is praised by real life racing drivers, because it's the actual thing, with the perfect layout, with all the elevation changes made properly, all bumps are there, holes and imperfections and the curbs are of the right height. Actually for players -not drivers- it is quite comforting knowing for sure that they are experiencing the real thing.

That means the tracks made so far aren't future proof. When the standard of the industry increases to everyone using laser scanning then PD will have to make all the real life circuits...again.

edit: And lets be honest, in TG Clarkson himself said the Laguna Seca available in GT5 (who knows if in GT6) is wrong to the point there's a missing corner.

That was GT4. It is not a missing corner. He was referring to the corner after the start before the hairpin. In GT4 it's flat, in the real car it caught him by surprise.

By the way, laser scanning doesn't future proof the track. The Iracing team themselves said that they have to go back to tracks to rescan them because the weather/seasons change the tarmac.

Where did anyone say otherwise? I accept the track was laser scanned if Kaz said it was, we were simply curious why PD don't promote that if they do it for all tracks in recent years. "Not many people would know what they're talking about" is not really a valid reason, the previously mentioned adaptive tessellation being proof of that.

How many of the 10 million people who bought GT5 knows what laser scanning is? It is funny though that they talked about adaptive tessellation as if we all knew what it was!

How many of the 10 million people who bought GT5 knows what laser scanning is? It is funny though that they talked about adaptive tessellation as if we all knew what it was!

Laser scanning is fairly self-explanatory, it's just scanning with a laser. You can have never heard of it before, and you've got a reasonable explanation right there in the title.

Adaptive tessellation on the other hand, I reckon most of the general public had to look up the word tessellation the first time they saw that. And then look up how having such a thing be adaptive was actually helpful.

PD tracks are very accurate and can be used by to know braking points and corner exit speed. They are pretty good in it. So that is of least worries IMO.

The hell are you talking about? :lol: Random reply or you just looking for someone to disagree with? You say he doesn't promote it, yet you heard about it from the press. Is not the press used to promote a product?

I was referring to big scale promotion, ie in promotional videos and on their website, where most people would see it. Not in one random interview. Look at all the technical things they promote in the first video and on the website, that's what I mean.

Laser scanning is fairly self-explanatory, it's just scanning with a laser. You can have never heard of it before, and you've got a reasonable explanation right there in the title.

Adaptive tessellation on the other hand, I reckon most of the general public had to look up the word tessellation the first time they saw that. And then look up how having such a thing be adaptive was actually helpful.

That's not the point is it? Scanning with a laser does not really say why that is beneficial compared to using, let's say, a blow dryer.

Isnt gt6 the only current gen game using adaptive tesselation? They're probably boasting about it because of how difficult it was to achieve on the ps3, when its really technology that is only thought of to be achievable with next gen platforms. You don't see PD boasting about laser scanned cars on their website either, or used as a huge PR point, we only know because it's mentioned in interviews.

I was referring to big scale promotion, ie in promotional videos and on their website, where most people would see it. Not in one random interview. Look at all the technical things they promote in the first video and on the website, that's what I mean.
:lol: random interview? THE NEW YORK TIMES speaking with Kaz is no random interview.
That's not the point is it? Scanning with a laser does not really say why that is beneficial compared to using, let's say, a blow dryer.

Right. Thats why they can say something like "accurately modeled tracks" and people will recognize that. "Laser scanned tracks" is a technical term not many would say is the best track modelling. Even if it is, like you said, how many of GT's customers understand what that even means?

Well the blow dryer is obviously a better method, they get the engine sounds too.

Well the blow dryer is obviously a better method, they get the engine sounds too.

Everyone says this, but my g.f uses a blow dryer everyday and nothing on GT5 sounds like it. More like too much high pitch whine that sounds closer to transmission noise.

Right. Thats why they can say something like "accurately modeled tracks" and people will recognize that. "Laser scanned tracks" is a technical term not many would say is the best track modelling. Even if it is, like you said, how many of GT's customers understand what that even means?

I think you'd would be hard pressed to find someone over the age of 8 who wouldn't understand what the term "laser scanned tracks" means. Even if you've never heard of the term, it's not hard to figure out intuitively.

:lol: random interview? THE NEW YORK TIMES speaking with Kaz is no random interview.

Ok take out the word random if you like. Now what is your reply?

You seem to keep dodging the fact they have this on their website:

Adaptive Tessellation
Adaptive tessellation is next generation technology in terms of 3D model rendering. Tessellation involves dividing a polygon into multiple geometric tiles, and in adaptive tessellation, the polygons will automatically divide and become finer according to the viewing distance and position. This makes it possible to maintain the quality of the renders very high whether you are close or far from your viewing object.

If they could explain that there is no reason they couldn't explain the benefits of laser scanning. That's all we're saying, I don't know why you felt the need to turn it into a huge discussion.

Ok take out the word random if you like. Now what is your reply?

You have no point.

You seem to keep dodging the fact they have this on their website:

If they could explain that there is no reason they couldn't explain the benefits of laser scanning. That's all we're saying, I don't know why you felt the need to turn it into a huge discussion.

I wasn't aware GT6 was released for you to make your claims of laser scanning being left out of selling points. And me 'dodging' things is ludicrous. I don't spend my days on gtplanet looking for or picking apart posts trying to find fault in someone's opinions. You don't know what PD wants to highlight. Plus theres no indication every track is laser scanned. Adaptive Tessalation is an aspect used throughout gameplay. Nothing has shown laser scanned tracks are of the same relevance. Keep searching though. One day you'll find your pen pal that likes to have these 'discussions' you say.

And as for your comment johnny, not many 8 year olds know what laser scanning even is. Kids at that age think lasers are on their buzz lightyear toys. :dopey:

And as for your comment johnny, not many 8 year olds know what laser scanning even is. Kids at that age think lasers are on their buzz lightyear toys. :dopey:

And no 8 year olds will have any idea what adaptive tesselation is, or advanced tyre/suspension/aero models.

Of all the things in GT6, laser scanning is probably the most self-explanatory and the easiest to explain to someone. "Lasers measure things very accurately, so we get very accurate measurements of the track dimensions."

It's also a shockingly big deal for physical realism, at least if you're scanning to a resolution that allows you to pick up the bumps on the surface of the track. I'd say +/- 1cm probably allows for that, at least to the extent that would transmit through the tyres.

People don't need to know the different techniques for you to sell the best one to them as something positive. I'm pretty sure most people don't have a clue what adaptive tessellation is but PD still sold it to people as being something good.

Adaptive tessellation is basically real time LOD, instead of having tne LOD the car morphs its polygons up or down... 👍 meaning we can have the photo mode detail in game , at least we see it that way when we get closer ;)

Guys GT6 Demo, is at Harvey Norman Bathurst they are using it in a race against some drivers I will try and get some footage.

Also apparently they have a copy of GT6 to give away a physical game disc or the gt6 Bathurst demo disc lol

Last edited by a moderator:
TG Clarkson himself said the Laguna Seca available in GT5 (who knows if in GT6) is wrong to the point there's a missing corner.

Someone already said it, but that was GT4. I suspect you may know that and you're pretending the Laguna Seca in GT4 is "available in GT5," but you're wrong, it's a different track. That first bend is actually a corner in GT5. The whole track received a rework since GT4. Even with that inaccurate section it's a new track from the ground up, as was specifically said by Kaz. If you don't want to believe it, fine.

Maybe a bit late, but thanks for the video, always nice to see some new gameplay. The straight at the end looks fun.

Guys GT6 Demo, is at Harvey Norman Bathurst they are using it in a race against some drivers I will try and get some footage.

Also apparently they have a copy of GT6 to give away a physical game disc or the gt6 Bathurst demo disc lol

Hey glad to see someone on here was there!
I work there, I ended up having about a 20min go. Looks & feels really good!
Track doesn't feel tight while racing but we were only doing time trials without any other cars.
The sony rep who brought it was taking it back after close & said he didn't know if there was any stall for it up at the mountain this weekend.
No one got a copy of it, The winner of the comp is getting a copy of GT6...when it gets released. I took a couple of videos of the guys racing & will try & upload them in the next few days!

My nephew got good air and rolled it was a pisser.

I hit the curbs too hard a few times & rolled aswell.
The brakes felt a lot different to GT5 & even the GT academy demo, all aids were off except abs on 1 & felt like it was locking the rears on hard braking. Felt very different but a big improvement I think.

Back