GT6 Sales Discussion

About Japan... PD received a double prize for GT6 had sold over 500k in Japan in December 2014.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/12/03/gran-turismo-7-for-ps4-might-debut-at-playstation-experience/

"Today Gran Turismo 6 won a Gold Prize at the PlayStation Awards for selling more than 500,000 copies in Japan"

The Lead Engineer Shuichi Takano received the award for PD.
really sold or shipped + sold?

"Gold Prize: Software titles (DL) with an accumulated shipment quantity (including download quantity) of
over 500,000 copies"
http://asia.playstation.com/ps-awards/en/about/index.html

Last edited:
So VGChartz is always inaccurate but you can still make accurate sales estimates from their inaccuracy. Makes perfect sense. :dunce:
I've always seen that it was undercooked for GT5. It was undertracked by precisely a million sales for a while until PD updated their site. Then it went back to being undertracked of course. It was back when the game was selling 15k a week on average. It would fluctuate to upwards of 30k at times when it was behind by a million.

"Gold Prize: Software titles (DL) with an accumulated shipment quantity (including download quantity) of
over 500,000 copies"

With confirmed sales of 282,686 in December 2013 going up to 367,267 in the first 6 months of 2014 and a possible 9,195 digital sales adding up to 376,462.

It would have to sell 123,538 in the second half of 2014 verses 84,581 in the first 6 months of that year. So I'd say it would have to be shipped.

over 500,000 copies"
Looks like shipped + digital.

Anyway the sold number could be close for Dec 2014 and right now it can be at 500k or more.
Seems like Japan didn't have a big drop like others countries... GT5 shipped 780k.

About Japan... PD received a double prize for GT6 had sold over 500k in Japan in December 2014.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/12/03/gran-turismo-7-for-ps4-might-debut-at-playstation-experience/

"Today Gran Turismo 6 won a Gold Prize at the PlayStation Awards for selling more than 500,000 copies in Japan"

The Lead Engineer Shuichi Takano received the award for PD.
It's Asia + Japan:

The >500k from http://www.4gamer.net/games/222/G022294/20141203080/ are Asia incl. Japan and retail + downloads.

So they've sold 5 million more copies... presumably that's mostly of GT6, though there's bound to be some more GT5 sales in there too.

That puts it around Prologue, and slightly past PSP. Still a huge decline compared to other full titles in the series, though they likely planned for that at least somewhat.

So they've sold 5 million more copies... presumably that's mostly of GT6, though there's bound to be some more GT5 sales in there too.

That puts it around Prologue, and slightly past PSP. Still a huge decline compared to other full titles in the series, though they likely planned for that at least somewhat.

I this won't come as a surprise to you, but I hope the fact they sold about 50% of what they normally do with full fledged titles motivates them for the better.

They still have a ton of fans out there, but it's time to give us the Gran Turismo that most of us will happy with.

Well, that answers that. 4.7 million copies sold would be a nice milestone for just about every other racing game out there, but for PDI and Gran Turismo, it's not.

Here is to hoping they just don't attribute the lower sales to the PS4 craze and realize that GT needs to be more of a complete game.

Last edited:
Even if GT5 dissapoined many but my god what a beast, 12 million copies is insane.

GT6's aren't bad but they're on the mediocre but reasonable sales considering the circumstances.

Given the fact that they weren't even aiming for high numbers and the game launched severely incomplete, 4.71Mill is amazing. This isnt even Mediocre sales numbers. Most AAA devs/publishers hope to achieve those sales numbers and sadly most of them don't make it.

Well, that answers that. 4.7 million copies sold would be a nice milestone for just about every other racing game out there, but for PDI and Gran Turismo, it's not.
Indeed, GT has a very strong brand name though, gathered since people got to know Playstation 1 so they will never have to worry about sales. Bit like Call of Duty; it's far from the best shooter around but it will always outsell anything else on the market just because it's popular with the masses.

Last I remember, GT5 was around about 10.5 million when GT6 was released?

Does anyone else think it's slightly odd that the older version of the game, without any online servers available, sold a third as much as the newer game? Wtf is even going on there? That seems ridiculously high to me.

Pure numbers of GT6 notwithstanding, I think that there's something wrong when your old game continues to sell that well alongside a newer version.

Given the fact that they weren't even aiming for high numbers...

Really? I don't recall them saying that.

Most AAA devs/publishers hope to achieve those sales numbers and sadly most of them don't make it.

Most don't have budgets on the scale of Gran Turismo either.

Does anyone else think it's slightly odd that the older version of the game, without any online servers available, sold a third as much as the newer game? Wtf is even going on there? That seems ridiculously high to me.

Pure numbers of GT6 notwithstanding, I think that there's something wrong when your old game continues to sell that well alongside a newer version.

Really? I don't recall them saying that.

Most don't have budgets on the scale of Gran Turismo either.
bruh you're making it sound like im trying to defend them. All im saying is 4.71Mill is a good number. That's well over 200+Mill in the bank. And I highly doubt sony/PD spent over TWO HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS making GT5.2 -_-

Not that odd. I sometimes buy games when they're nearly for free, just to try them out and see if they were any good.

All im saying is 4.71Mill is a good number.

Depending on how much it cost them to make, it may be. At least, it's probably fine in the sense that they came out positive.

That's well over 200+Mill in the bank.

No, it's not. Think about all the things that are involved in getting a game to the consumer and all the people that want a slice, not to mention the very early price drop.

There's no way Polyphony/Sony make $200 million gross on that game.

bruh you're making it sound like im trying to defend them. All im saying is 4.71Mill is a good number. That's well over 200+Mill in the bank. And I highly doubt sony/PD spent over TWO HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS making GT5.2 -_-

I doubt it. Remember GT6 was discounted very quickly, it wasn't a full price title for very long at all. I mean they probably still broke even at least but it wouldn't have been a money machine when it was $20-$40 most of it's life.

I doubt it. Remember GT6 was discounted very quickly, it wasn't a full price title for very long at all. I mean they probably still broke even at least but it wouldn't have been a money machine when it was $20-$40 most of it's life.

But most copies are usually sold early on, so even though it's been cheap for most it's life, most copies were probably sold at a higher price.

Yep, there's simply too many variables and unknowns for us to be able to determine things like profit. GT6 probably had a smaller budget than GT5, especially as it only had 3 years in development versus 5, but nobody outside of Sony and PD know what their sales target or break-even point was.

As mentioned in the blog article, it's unlikely GT6 will sell enough to overtake Prologue. It'd need to do over 13% of its current tally to do it, and for a two year old game on a last-gen system, that's a tall order. One important thing to note is the Course Creator came out right around the cut-off for these sales number.

There's two other things worth noting, though. One, this number isn't representative of the number of players, it's simply units shipped to retailers. Places like EB/GameStop could have a sizable stock that doesn't really move. Or they could be out. We're not sure.

Secondly, much as we don't know the targets Sony and PD were aiming for, it's the same case for the competition. That GT sells massively more than other racing games will always be impressive, but I'd be very surprised if any of the other games were aiming for those levels. Their break evens are likely lower.

Back