GT6 What happened?

United States
United States
It pains me to say I have never regretted buying a Gran Turismo game in my life until now. I just beat story mode after picking the game up yesterday. The performance points are crazy, I feel like someone pulled a number out of a hat and said "lets use this number for this car". For example the over weight, under powered 2000 Lamborghini Diablo shares the EXACT same PP as the 08 Lambo Revention, 09 Murcielago LP 670 SuperVeloce etc., 2006 & 2005 Ford GT have the EXACT same numbers for everything however the 06 gets 567pp an the older 2005 is rated higher at 571pp. Same story with the BMW M5 (08 513pp & 2005 BMW M5 gets 521PP.) The driving line is 100% useless for braking. You can find the Gen II Vipers with SRT instead of Dodge. This game feels like a rough draft that someone just said "ok good enough" without even a proof read. Its basically GT5 with harder to control cars and a different main screen. Standard models are still here. I do not drag race online, but you would think since every other online room is a drag room they would include a drag track like in GT4.

It pains me to say I have never regretted buying a Gran Turismo game in my life until now. I just beat story mode after picking the game up yesterday. The performance points are crazy, I feel like someone pulled a number out of a hat and said "lets use this number for this car". For example the over weight, under powered 2000 Lamborghini Diablo shares the EXACT same PP as the 08 Lambo Revention, 09 Murcielago LP 670 SuperVeloce etc., 2006 & 2005 Ford GT have the EXACT same numbers for everything however the 06 gets 567pp an the older 2005 is rated higher at 571pp. Same story with the BMW M5 (08 513pp & 2005 BMW M5 gets 521PP.) The driving line is 100% useless for braking. You can find the Gen II Vipers with SRT instead of Dodge. This game feels like a rough draft that someone just said "ok good enough" without even a proof read. Its basically GT5 with harder to control cars and a different main screen. Standard models are still here. I do not drag race online, but you would think since every other online room is a drag room they would include a drag track like in GT4.

Well I couldn't disagree more. I think it is much more realistic. Looks and feels much better than any driving game I've ever played.

Each to their own

I have been a Gran Turismo enthusiast ever since GT1. One of the things that always made Gran Turismo stand out was the attention to detail, the realism and effort that have gone into the games. GT6 feels like something the interns put together in their spare time using GT5 as a base
I've also been playing GT games since GT1, and in my honest opinion even if GT6 is short on content, the main part of the game (that's driving the cars) is the best it's ever been. Thought that's what should be the most important thing in a driving game...

Its because you are actually appreciating the game for what it is. he probably expected NFS and there to be a crap load of practically the same race and just rushed through it

Come on. Your answer to the game being short is play slower. That's not right.

It's not about expecting NFS. Did you play GT4? You're aware of what a Gran Turismo career mode entailed at it's peak, right?

It's not about expecting NFS. Did you play GT4? You're aware of what a Gran Turismo career mode entailed at it's peak, right?
Yeah GT4 had a crap tonne of races, but the quality of the game was just not the same. i completely agree with you, if GT6 had as many races as GT4, i might just die of happiness, but i still love GT6 for what it is now and for the quality of the vehicles.

I totally agree the game is shorter. but one thing GT6 has is a sheer phenomenal amount of is variety. I was shocked. :lol:

I've been replaying GT5 recently, I use the cars with the least PP and work my way up. I enter career mode races with factory spec cars and hotlap every car around the 'ring and TGTT. So far I've probably been playing 10-15 hours and I still haven't won the Sunday cup yet. Gran Turismo is what you make it, I laugh at those that complete the game in a heartbeat, you are doing it all wrong.

Yeah I don't think they're saying "play the game slower". I'm pretty sure they mean try to mix it up a bit and add some variety. Don't just breeze through the whole thing with the fastest car: try different (lower PP) cars, combinations, etc. I could be wrong but that was just my interpretation.

Also I'm someone who has never really played GT for the career mode. Yeah past games careers were a little longer, but you could still beat every single race first try without breaking a sweat. To me it's about enjoying the driving: the vast amount of cars, not quite so vast amount of tracks but still excellent variety...in GT5 I literally spent ALL my time in practice mode enjoying how all the different cars drive and sound and feel, perfecting my technique, always trying to improve...and would occasionally go online to get my "racing" fix. I imagine it will be much the same for me in GT6, just with pretty constellations to look at and another planetary surface to drive on :P

In short, I agree, GT is what you make it, but if you buy and play these games solely for the career mode I can understand you being disappointed I guess. So I'm sorry. But seriously try just enjoying what the game DOES have to offer. You might be surprised. Every time I would get bored with 5 I would find something new and out of my comfort zone and immediately be in love with the game again. Give it a chance

I am baffaled at how people managed to beat the game in a day or two. Are they only getting the minmum amount of stars required to move on or something? I had all day to myself to play GT6 yesterday and I'm still on National B. GT6's career mode is not as short as I originally expected. Not to mention, I've been trying to gold everything.

This reminds me of Forza Horizon when it first came out. People complained about that game being too short and said it can be beat within a weak. I had that game since launch and to this day, I still haven't beaten it yet, because I enjoy the open world driving in that game. While I do think a long and good carrer mode is important, your playing style and pace play a big role as well when it comes to how long you will enjoy a game.

Is this what GT has become, physics are great and everything else doesn't matter?
I'm just making a guess here, but I think they may have cut out some things in the game to make room on the disk. The PS3 will read dual layer BluRay. Anyone know if it will read the three or four layer ones? With some improvements, they may have run out of room for other stuff.

Again, just a guess.

I feel the same way I'm happy for the improvements but it did not "WOW" me at all. If I would have play the game before buying I most likely would have not bought it and waited for the PS4 version

You complain about the driving line and some Dodges being moved to the SRT showroom? This is just ridiculous.

I'm just making a guess here, but I think they may have cut out some things in the game to make room on the disk. The PS3 will read dual layer BluRay. Anyone know if it will read the three or four layer ones? With some improvements, they may have run out of room for other stuff.

Again, just a guess.

Not a chance.

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-6-now-available-as-digital-download-on-psn/

15GB download, 30GB install size.

So presumably the disc version isn't compressed at all, they've got ~20GB spare on a double layer disc.

Size wasn't an issue in GT5, it's not an issue now. Even if it was, they could just make the additional content available via download immediately if they wished.

only way to have this game beat in a day or two is running the minimal amount required of stars to move on to next level, and your cheating yourself if your only running a few races getting the stars you need and not driving the rest of the races in that level.

I've also been playing GT games since GT1, and in my honest opinion even if GT6 is short on content, the main part of the game (that's driving the cars) is the best it's ever been. Thought that's what should be the most important thing in a driving game...
Funny that since the days of pole position on atari, our genre is know as "racing games", but all of a sudden the GT fanboys start talking about "driving games" now... must be because the racing sucks? :dopey:

only way to have this game beat in a day or two is running the minimal amount required of stars to move on to next level, and your cheating yourself if your only running a few races getting the stars you need and not driving the rest of the races in that level.

I have been driving this non stop since friday running everything in the level before moving on and im just now in the 4th level or International B level. there is alot of racing in each level to enjoy. why would you skip thru it only running 15% of the game

You complain about the driving line and some Dodges being moved to the SRT showroom? This is just ridiculous.

If he made a thread only to talk about those two things (rather than those two things as part of a greater whole of continuously odd decisions, many of them carried over directly from GT5 despite all of the "feedback responding" they got around to doing, but some of them completely new), it certainly would be.

Back