GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 34,714 comments
A question for the forum scientists again:
Before even trying to get back into daily racing on my main accounts, I just noticed that the SR progress bars on my first and second accounts are empty. I'm SR S on both, and I'm quite sure (or am I?) that both bars were somewhere around "half full" when I decided to take a break from online racing. So, does that happen when you don't race on your account for a longer period of time?

Seems like I'm bound to fall back into SR A in the first race I'll dare to participate...😬
An empty SR S means it's full SR.. unless it's empty that is. Lazy UI design. You're fine.

It’s my 3rd weekly race of racing live bodies. I prefer the longer races because I have more time to recover from my mistakes. I was racing vs AI and I was at the pro level, what a joke, vs live racing I can barely get out of my own way in a D lobby.

Question: (that I really don’t know the answer to)… are there times when you need to short-shift when you need torque i.e. an uphill grade and high RPM into max HP for lower loads I.e. flats and down hill?
I feel your pain...when I first stepped into the ring with GTSport I thought I was bad-ass. Cleared that right outta my head first turn, first race. I was so bad I immediately logged-off and went looking for the cheat-codes everyone else HAD to be using. So clueless.🤣🤣🤣

As to the short-shifting, that's more car specific than it is situational. The Veyron is a great example since it's one of the go-to's this week. Because it makes diesel-like torque, it's best to shift in the 60%-ish zone on the tach bar. There are other cars that benefit similarly (650s, maybe?) but others will have to chime in on those.

:cheers:

As to the short-shifting, that's more car specific than it is situational. The Veyron is a great example since it's one of the go-to's this week. Because it makes diesel-like torque, it's best to shift in the 60%-ish zone on the tach bar. There are other cars that benefit similarly (650s, maybe?) but others will have to chime in on those.
In Gr.4, McLaren is probably the most-used car that benefits from short shifting. Other less-used ones in Gr.4 that come to mind are the BMW M4 and Suzuki Swift Sport.

In Gr.4, McLaren is probably the most-used car that benefits from short shifting. Other less-used ones in Gr.4 that come to mind are the BMW M4 and Suzuki Swift Sport.
You called out Gr.4 specifically, which made me wonder...are there ANY Gr.3 cars that should be shorted?? I can't think of any but have only been driving the 911. The only benefit to short shifting a 911 is more time to enjoy the scenery.

You called out Gr.4 specifically, which made me wonder...are there ANY Gr.3 cars that should be shorted?? I can't think of any but have only been driving the 911. The only benefit to short shifting a 911 is more time to enjoy the scenery.
In GR3 the supra is a 90% short shift there are a couple of others as well.

Yeah in the 911 wind that allllll the way out.

In GR3 the supra is a 90% short shift there are a couple of others as well.

Yeah in the 911 wind that allllll the way out.
Pretty much the only shifting trick with that one is figuring out what 1 rpm away from the rev-limiter sounds like.🤣

I think therein lies one of my problems with consistency, listening for my entry speeds versus watching the speedo. For instance, I have no clue how fast I'm entering any given turn from the numbers. I know what it looks like, I know what gear I am supposed to be in and I know what the motor SHOULD sound like to make my apex/max my exit. Just watching for a number has got to be easier, yet I can't bring myself to do it.🙃

Regarding short shifting, you don't actually short shift any cars per se except in certain situations. I was in a lobby with some friends and one asked me if I was short shifting. I answered no, I shift right around the redline. Then it hit me, I was using the in-car tach. You see I race in VR. I couldn't tell them where to shift on the rev bar except for an RPM number. I know this is nit picking with the term, but just thought I'd throw this out there. So, if you're ever curious as to wear to shift a car just go into cockpit view and see where this corresponds with the onscreen rev bar. BTW, it's really cool experiencing all the different tachs in the cars. VR > flatscreen. :D

Last edited:
Regarding short shifting, you don't actually short shift any cars per se except in certain situations. I was in a lobby with some friends and one asked me if I was short shifting. I answered no, I shift right around the redline. Then it hit me, I was using the in-car tach. You see I race in VR. I couldn't tell them where to shift on the rev bar except for an RPM number. I know this is nit picking with the term, but just thought I'd throw this out there. So, if you're ever curious as to wear to shift a car just go into cockpit view and see where this corresponds with the onscreen rev bar. BTW, it's really cool experiencing all the different tachs in the cars. VR > flatscreen. :D

But even then when I drive cockpit cam, I short shift in cars that have better/smoother torque curves the same as I do in bumper cam.

I think the difference and in all sincerity is that short shifting doesn't effect most people lap times regardless of VR, Controller, wheel and probably complicates what should be quite simple. Look ahead, brake and accelerate.

Now if you are chasing the last couple of tenths then things like short shifting or car position and coast speed start to make a lot of sense.

But short shifting is kinda skipping over the over shifting for cars, technically is short shifting but smashing down to first to force the car to turn in then exiting in 3rd for cleaner traction is funny sometimes and again not control type dependent, just a weird way to drive a car. Its their game so whatever but it's a really odd thing

Edit:

There will never be things I understand about this game.

In two evenings I've gone from A/S to B/B and a lot of people won't know me but that's a major swing for the way I drive and my general attitude to racing.

Yet in the time trial this week I'm sub 800, I just don't understand it. It's worse than Monday at Laguna or RBR 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
But even then when I drive cockpit cam, I short shift in cars that have better/smoother torque curves the same as I do in bumper cam.

I think the difference and in all sincerity is that short shifting doesn't effect most people lap times regardless of VR, Controller, wheel and probably complicates what should be quite simple. Look ahead, brake and accelerate.

Now if you are chasing the last couple of tenths then things like short shifting or car position and coast speed start to make a lot of sense.

But short shifting is kinda skipping over the over shifting for cars, technically is short shifting but smashing down to first to force the car to turn in then exiting in 3rd for cleaner traction is funny sometimes and again not control type dependent, just a weird way to drive a car. Its their game so whatever but it's a really odd thing

Edit:

There will never be things I understand about this game.

In two evenings I've gone from A/S to B/B and a lot of people won't know me but that's a major swing for the way I drive and my general attitude to racing.

Yet in the time trial this week I'm sub 800, I just don't understand it. It's worse than Monday at Laguna or RBR 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️
I agree with all you're saying. As I mentioned there are certain times when short shifting is more effective. I was just bringing this up because a lot of people rely on visual cues (i.e. the rev bar). I used to race in chase cam and used the bar and also speed as a reference for shifting. However, I will say that VR has been a bigger factor in making me a faster driver.

@Leon Kowalski Good to see you back man. I don't know how many in this thread have heard, but we lost Cranwick (@Cherryturbo ) to cancer. We are having a memorial race for him tomorrow using the RA272. You or anyone else are welcome to join. Just reply in the thread here.

Forgot to save the confetti screen, but I just went pole-to-pole with a CRB and FL. Yay me.

1712866278510.png

It's interesting when you're pole because a lot of times I see the people behind me make the same mistakes I make when I screw something up, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who messes up that part of the track.

In two evenings I've gone from A/S to B/B and a lot of people won't know me but that's a major swing for the way I drive and my general attitude to racing
So you're back to DR B? Do I even need to say anything? :lol: At least you're not DR B at 59%!

1712866758034.png

EDIT (I forgot to add this):

@Tidgney - I was wondering if you might consider making a video showing how people manage to chat while driving a race? Or maybe you already have? Or someone else? It's an incredible mystery to me. I mean, I get how they do it from a technical standpoint, but how do they do it and not lose position(s)? Or don't they? As you can see, I'm pretty confused, which is not an unusual state for me. :dopey:

Last edited:
I assume you're mightypeanut? You've just discovered a quirk of the matching alogirthm that means players close to progressing to the next DR get mixed in with low SR ranked players from the higher DR rank. Think of it as a right of passage you have to go through to get to the next level, we've all been there. Once you reach C then it will all calm down and you'll be back with SR:S players like yourself. Just be ready for it happen again when it's time for you to move from DR:C to to

I assume you're mightypeanut? You've just discovered a quirk of the matching alogirthm that means players close to progressing to the next DR get mixed in with low SR ranked players from the higher DR rank. Think of it as a right of passage you have to go through to get to the next level, we've all been there. Once you reach C then it will all calm down and you'll be back with SR:S players like yourself. Just be ready for it happen again when it's time for you to move from DR:C to to DR:B
Yeah, I been in c earlier in the games life, drifted away this past 6 months playing various other games. Came back missing the glory days of gt7. Just pointing out that every single one of them was a maniac, it's a grit your teeth and get through it few races in store for me🤣

Late to the party this week. I hammered Tsubuka in the Mazda roadster last week, it was awesome, but you know age is creeping in when you pull a chest muscle dragging a mazda through that final drifty bend..

Anyhoo... tried two races at deep forest tonight and no thanks. I read enough here to know not to bother but had two awful races with clownery as expected. Awful combo with the current state of driving standards.

Tried Fuji and thats more like it. Idiots there also, but did you know they cant grasp tire wear and hammer ever lap like its TT? My cool story of the week... hope everyone is having a good one.

Late to the party this week. I hammered Tsubuka in the Mazda roadster last week, it was awesome, but you know age is creeping in when you pull a chest muscle dragging a mazda through that final drifty bend..

Anyhoo... tried two races at deep forest tonight and no thanks. I read enough here to know not to bother but had two awful races with clownery as expected. Awful combo with the current state of driving standards.

Tried Fuji and thats more like it. Idiots there also, but did you know they cant grasp tire wear and hammer ever lap like its TT? My cool story of the week... hope everyone is having a good one.
Welcome back, did you take a small break cause I haven't seen you post in a while. My internet was out for 6 hours yesterday. I couldn't believe it. The tech guy fixed it yesterday afternoon so I was relieved.

@Leon Kowalski Good to see you back man. I don't know how many in this thread have heard, but we lost Cranwick (@Cherryturbo ) to cancer. We are having a memorial race for him tomorrow using the RA272. You or anyone else are welcome to join. Just reply in the thread here.

Thanks for the welcome. So sad to hear about @Cherryturbo / Cranwick. Met him in a couple races and remember some good conversations. 🥺

I'll gladly join the memorial race if I can make it possible.

Oh my, he died due to severe cancer. May he RIP. Yeah my aunt Peggy died in 2020 with stage 4 cancer. She lost her voice and they had to give her a voicebox. It was really bad.

Last edited:
Forgot to save the confetti screen, but I just went pole-to-pole with a CRB and FL. Yay me.
If you ever forget to take a screenshot and remember later, you can always save the last X mins of video thru the PS5. Like, say you remember two mins after the race, save the last five mins of game play. Then, play that back and find what you wanted to screenshot, get it, and delete the video. Boom.

I've had to do that before.

Last edited:
If you ever forget to take a screenshot and remember later, you can always save the last X mins of video thru the PS5. Like, say you remember two mins after the race, save the last five mins of game play. Then, play that back and find what you wanted to screenshot, get it, and delete the video. Boom.
Thanks. I actually knew that, and I did in fact go back and save the recording, but unfortunately I "X"ed out too quickly. There were 5 frames that showed that screen fading in, and this was the last one:

1712885498625.png

but it didn't have the results. I tried, though! :)

I've had relatively good luck in the B/S lobbies, although people are still pretty "elbowy". Nothing overtly awful, though.

1712885941568.png

I used Sturk's method and got a 4'25.607 on my SSRX run into this morning. This might be my limit, I hope to get a huge reward for all the hard work.

Hello fellow racers
Long time reader, new time poster. Playing out of Australia.
Low A high B rating. Really enjoy online racing.
Anyway, jumped into Deep Forest in the Veyron for some qualy before hitting the race up. Man, what a struggle, I was 3 seconds off my friend list pace. Perseverance I thought, that is the key. 45mins later I’ve got the gap down to 1.5secs. Hitting brake markers etc just wresting the car round. After all that, I AM AN IDIOT. Realised I had inters fitted the whole time. lol. Fitted the hards and now had to unlearn all the brake markers and acceleration points etc. oh well, got a half decent 1:33.3 after a few more laps, using the lancer though, although I’m finding the WRX to be a solid choice in the race.

Back