GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,442 comments
Oh hands down the 911 turns in better than either of those cars but with AT, D-pad and X button i value a secure rear end above all else.

To get AT cars to change down, it's a weird style. I sort of DIVE hard into corner with high entry speed and high exit speed but I am slow mid corner. The "dive" is to force the AT to change down.
I do too, which is why the 911 is my go to! I can hammer the throttle and unless I've upset the car mid corner it just grips up and goes. I'll try your diving trick and see how that works out for me, thanks!

EDIT:
sturk0167 I think that was everyone elses fault but yours lolol

Last edited:
Good evening hive mind,
I "think" I "should" know this, but after crashing yet again in lap 1 or 2 in Race C Sardgena at turn 10 (fast sweeping left with cushions on the right side). Is the game sophisticated to increase the weight of the car with a full tank of fuel? In qualifying I can hold my line on this turn, but in the race the car seems to want to drift or push more to the outside.
Thanks for your input.
a
Yeah, very much so. This game simulates a lot more than people think. Not sure why it's such a common belief that it doesn't.

Tyre temperature, fuel loads, track temperature, wind - all effect how your car drives and how fast you can lap.

Qualifying gives you an essentially empty quali tank (whereas the race is a full tank) - not sure about tyre temps but I imagine you start the flying lap at optimal temps.

Last edited:
Kudos to you mutants that can get in the 1:35s. Try as I might I cannot get under 1:37.5. Have done it in the Mustang and the RX. I just dont understand the gearing in the game. I see guys shifting to 2nd to turn then to 3rd for traction and acceleration but every time I do this I lose time vs my ghost that stays in 2nd.

But honestly, watching the alien replays, I see them doing things that - not even considering my inferior skill level - feel like physically impossible to do, even using the same car. How can they brake 25 meters later without overshooting the turn? Cutting over the biggest curbs without the car jumping even a little bit?
Literally what I wanted to say. When I watch the replays and "track guides" I try to follow all the instructions, brake here, turn here, full throttle here, but it's impossible, if I brake THERE, I fly off the track, not a chance in hell to make that turn. What's the catch? Does my brake pedal on T300RS have less force that the one on the DD Pro with the load cell? I don't think so. Frustrating :D

Literally what I wanted to say. When I watch the replays and "track guides" I try to follow all the instructions, brake here, turn here, full throttle here, but it's impossible, if I brake THERE, I fly off the track, not a chance in hell to make that turn. What's the catch? Does my brake pedal on T300RS have less force that the one on the DD Pro with the load cell? I don't think so. Frustrating :D
Mostly it's because they are trailbraking into the corner. If you're only braking in a straight line, then yes, you have to brake earlier. It's really hard to trailbrake without a proper loadcell though. I've done it on my G29 and it sucked to get it right. Doing it on a load cell however is much more consistent, which allows for later braking.

Mostly it's because they are trailbraking into the corner. If you're only braking in a straight line, then yes, you have to brake earlier. It's really hard to trailbrake without a proper loadcell though. I've done it on my G29 and it sucked to get it right. Doing it on a load cell however is much more consistent, which allows for later braking.
Yes, regarding trailbraking I totally understand, that's why my next purchase will be T-LCM for sure :)

I totally get your point here. Been there myself several times before. But wait, I'm sure next weeks races will be better in that regard. For example the one with Gr4 at....

...Yamagiwa. Oh ****. 🤣
Ouch! Thanks a lot, Leon!
Good evening hive mind,
I "think" I "should" know this, but after crashing yet again in lap 1 or 2 in Race C Sardgena at turn 10 (fast sweeping left with cushions on the right side). Is the game sophisticated to increase the weight of the car with a full tank of fuel? In qualifying I can hold my line on this turn, but in the race the car seems to want to drift or push more to the outside.
Thanks for your input.
a
Yes indeed. The race weight and balance is much different. Many people don’t realize this, which partly accounts for all the bad first lap antics in the lower lobbies. I always try to do a practice lap when the race lobby is filled and people are chatting. It’s only for a few seconds, but I swerve around and get a feel for the car under full load.
Seriously, PD? You can't ghost a car that hits a wall?

It happened too quickly. I think ghosting takes a little longer to kick in. I hate those moments, too, especially at the CoD. The chain reaction of carnage is massive!

By the way, is anyone else getting an overly aggressive helicopter screwing with them over the CoD? I swear it was so low that I thought it was going to land on the track, which was so distracting that I hit the wall three times! I guess they got the crash footage they were looking for! 🙄

Last edited:
I guess they got the crash footage they were looking for! 🙄
Well.... Look at the photographer here.....
184f3a0888277-3f026FE9664245D953F.7A4E923B513F64D0_message_427656507419872_1670533232108.jpg

I was watching Tidgney's track guide. I noticed that on certain turns (like T2 at Alsace - the fall away turn) he turns in before braking. I started mimicking the sequence and found time, then noticed during a race that by doing so, I carried more speed through the turn and a better exit speed.

When I first went to a load cell, I lost time. I had to make a few adjustments to make me faster (and probably still don't have it optimized) but I definitely feel like I can finesse the brakes much more.

Yes indeed. The race weight and balance is much different. Many people don’t realize this, which partly accounts for all the bad first lap antics in the lower lobbies. I always try to do a practice lap when the race lobby is filled and people are chatting. It’s only for a few seconds, but I swerve around and get a feel for the car under full load.
Thanks, good tip on the warm up.

Yeah, very much so. This game simulates a lot more than people think. Not sure why it's such a common belief that it doesn't.

Tyre temperature, fuel loads, track temperature, wind - all effect how your car drives and how fast you can lap.

Qualifying gives you an essentially empty quali tank (whereas the race is a full tank) - not sure about tyre temps but I imagine you start the flying lap at optimal temps.
Thanks. It's only been in the past few weeks that I have started figuring this out. SMH.

Good evening hive mind,
Thanks for your input.
a
Yes. As Bull already stated. There are three things you are dealing with on lap one of the race that you don't during qualifying:

1) Full fuel load, aka heavier car.
2) Cold tires.
3) Slip stream from other cars, specifically as soon as the race starts as all the cars are close and in-line.

Thus, if you brake at the 150 mark in quali, you will definitely need to brake sooner on lap one.

Think the first chicane at Monza. What I like to do is, say the braking point is at the 150, when I see the 200 I left off the gas, then shortly thereafter start applying the brake at 90%. While the people in front are waiting until the last second and use 100% of their brakes, I make a gap then use 90% giving me 10% more should I need it. Awesome part is, I end up right back on their tails by the time we reach the turn. Only issue with this is you have to trust the people behind you, which is hard to do sometimes. This is a pretty common tactic though so if you're in a more experienced lobby then others will be doing the same thing.

Yes. As Bull already stated. There are three things you are dealing with on lap one of the race that you don't during qualifying:

1) Full fuel load, aka heavier car.
2) Cold tires.
3) Slip stream from other cars, specifically as soon as the race starts as all the cars are close and in-line.

Thus, if you brake at the 150 mark in quali, you will definitely need to brake sooner on lap one.

Think the first chicane at Monza. What I like to do is, say the braking point is at the 150, when I see the 200 I left off the gas, then shortly thereafter start applying the brake at 90%. While the people in front are waiting until the last second and use 100% of their brakes, I make a gap then use 90% giving me 10% more should I need it. Awesome part is, I end up right back on their tails by the time we reach the turn. Only issue with this is you have to trust the people behind you, which is hard to do sometimes. This is a pretty common tactic though so if you're in a more experienced lobby then others will be doing the same thing.
I was aware of #2 and #3, but I guess I missed class when #1 was discussed. I'm still a D/C driver, so I don't trust those behind me. Heck, not sure I can trust myself :).

I do too, which is why the 911 is my go to! I can hammer the throttle and unless I've upset the car mid corner it just grips up and goes. I'll try your diving trick and see how that works out for me, thanks!
Yeah youre right the 911 is good on the gas but on entry it gets unsettled the way I drive. On some tracks it is my fastest car but I can unsettle it easier than the Supra.

After a week of being punted into T2/3 and collecting the COD at Seaside, I started last night by being punted into T2/3 and collecting the COD :grumpy: Thankfully, finished the week with two blinders.

1st race I was.... yep, punted into T2/3 but somehow recovered to 5th including a last gasp pass on the final corner.....

184f707d64076-screenshotUrl.jpg

Then my last race, qualified 4th, 2nd and 3rd took each other out and it was bedlam behind so myself and P1 a good 4 seconds clear of the pack. We circulate for three and a half laps where the gap would creep between 0.9 of a second and 1.2 seconds, we were clearly both pushing like absolute mad, hard as we could drive. Final lap approaching the COD I decide to play it safe as I knew I couldn't catch him, i enter it really slowly annnnnnnnnnnd he bins it. So finally got my win, almost felt sorry for him after driving at 10/10ths all race.

EDIT I actually finished 4th as per the video, forgot about the penalty ahead.

Last edited:
Yes, regarding trailbraking I totally understand, that's why my next purchase will be T-LCM for sure :)
Youre right. I bought t-lcm for my t300 and difference in braking is BIG... More consistent, and easier to do, just slightly lift brake pedal...

That's clearly staged in a Lobby, because in full online that GT-R would have been trying to put you into the pit wall.
Ha! He actually cost himself the space. Exiting the COD he lost the rear a bit and I was able to pass on the inside into the final corner. I then probably gave him a bit too much room and he got a better exit than me, but then chose to run left of the kerb on the left kink, i mean i tis a shorter distance but the car got the wobbles over the uneven surface allowing me to pip him.

Has anyone tried the Suzuki VGT for Race B at all?
I have and while it's fun, there's now way I can be competitive in it.
So glad you posted this question!
I have a loadcell, and I've heard this, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to try to do. Are you just saying it's easier to brake less hard?
By the way, is anyone else getting an overly aggressive helicopter screwing with them over the CoD? I swear it was so low that I thought it was going to land on the track, which was so distracting that I hit the wall three times! I guess they got the crash footage they were looking for! 🙄
I HATE that helicopter! I swear it's going to land right in front of me, and by the time I look back at the track, smash! "Don't look at it" you'd say. But I'm like a dog when he sees a squirrel.
I was watching Tidgney's track guide. I noticed that on certain turns (like T2 at Alsace - the fall away turn) he turns in before braking. I started mimicking the sequence and found time, then noticed during a race that by doing so, I carried more speed through the turn and a better exit speed.
Great tip! Thanks.
When I first went to a load cell, I lost time. I had to make a few adjustments to make me faster (and probably still don't have it optimized) but I definitely feel like I can finesse the brakes much more.
What did you have to adjust? Softer or harder, or something else?

Can’t believe I managed to hit a 47 in the race! After a couple nights of racing I got my race pace and consistency pretty much dialed in and hit this lap in between two 48.1’s on partially worn tires. I don’t expect that I’ll put up any laps better than this one, but it’s definitely possible. If I hadn’t hit the grass and wall in the 2nd sector it might’ve been a 47.6 or .7, so maybe I’ll try again tonight and see if I can replicate it without the mistakes.

Last edited:
I have a loadcell, and I've heard this, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to try to do. Are you just saying it's easier to brake less hard?

I HATE that helicopter! I swear it's going to land right in front of me, and by the time I look back at the track, smash! "Don't look at it" you'd say. But I'm like a dog when he sees a squirrel.

What did you have to adjust? Softer or harder, or something else?
Are you asking how to trail brake? I don’t want to assume, but it sounds like it. If you’re not familiar with it, it means to brake a little later and then continue braking into the turn while you transition back onto the throttle. It’s much easier to do in a load cell peddle. The adjustments can be made on the pedals physically, and also with their own software, and then calibrated in the game itself. I calibrate mine to have a 5% dead zone because my foot touches the pedal when I’m not braking. Without the dead zone I realized I was literally braking the entire race while people flew past me!

As for the helicopter, it’s always when I tell myself not to look at it that it starts doing crazy dips and swirls, which of course makes me look directly at it! And then I crash. Every. Time. Like @Talon16 says, it feels like Mario Kart wackiness and if they did that crap in a real race the helicopter pilots would never be allowed back again! It feels like bush league tactics.

On the topic of trail braking, according to everything I have seen there is some element of being on the brakes and the accelerator at the same time. Some overlap as braking comes off and acceleration starts, and it is usually very short and subtle. What I have noticed though is that several of the YouTubers will describe themselves (in track guides) as "trailbraking" into this or that corner, but when you look at their inputs there are times they are never on the brake and the accelerator at the same time. It makes me wonder if there is some true trailbraking going on, but also when some of these players talk about "a little trailbraking" they are really just milliseconds off the brakes before accelerating and that transition has a trailbraking "feel" to it (and is also optimum and fast), but it is not really trailbraking.

Would it be safe to say that at times people are describing the feeling and not the inputs, when it comes to trailbraking???

When I think of a true trailbraking area Variante Ascari at Monza comes to mind (turn 8, I think).

On the topic of trail braking, according to everything I have seen there is some element of being on the brakes and the accelerator at the same time. Some overlap as braking comes off and acceleration starts, and it is usually very short and subtle. What I have noticed though is that several of the YouTubers will describe themselves (in track guides) as "trailbraking" into this or that corner, but when you look at their inputs there are times they are never on the brake and the accelerator at the same time. It makes me wonder if there is some true trailbraking going on, but also when some of these players talk about "a little trailbraking" they are really just milliseconds off the brakes before accelerating and that transition has a trailbraking "feel" to it (and is also optimum and fast), but it is not really trailbraking.

Would it be safe to say that at times people are describing the feeling and not the inputs, when it comes to trailbraking???

When I think of a true trailbraking area Variante Ascari at Monza comes to mind (turn 8, I think).
Trail braking is just defined as blending braking and turning. i.e. trail off the brake simultaneous with turn in. It doesn't have anything to do with accelerator input.

Trail braking is just defined as blending braking and turning. i.e. trail off the brake simultaneous with turn in. It doesn't have anything to do with accelerator input.
Thx.... I knew it always involved easing off the braking while beginning a turn, but always thought that acceleration while coming off the brakes was always in play too. But, as you noted....not the case..... thx again. Could be why it has not been working for me...lol Will watch some more vids and focus on what I should be doing.. thx again..

Back