GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,960 comments
On the topic of trail braking, according to everything I have seen there is some element of being on the brakes and the accelerator at the same time. Some overlap as braking comes off and acceleration starts, and it is usually very short and subtle. What I have noticed though is that several of the YouTubers will describe themselves (in track guides) as "trailbraking" into this or that corner, but when you look at their inputs there are times they are never on the brake and the accelerator at the same time. It makes me wonder if there is some true trailbraking going on, but also when some of these players talk about "a little trailbraking" they are really just milliseconds off the brakes before accelerating and that transition has a trailbraking "feel" to it (and is also optimum and fast), but it is not really trailbraking.

Would it be safe to say that at times people are describing the feeling and not the inputs, when it comes to trailbraking???

When I think of a true trailbraking area Variante Ascari at Monza comes to mind (turn 8, I think).

Your car tires have a finite grip. If you brake in a straight line, verses brake and turn at the same time, it will take you longer to slow down while turning.

So normally you'd brake in a straight line, get off the brakes, start turning, and then accelerate out of the turn as the car starts to straighten out.

Next if you brake really hard while turning, you'll just understeer off the road in most cases.

However if you brake hard, and then keep a little bit of pressure on the brakes as you start turning the wheels.. it will help your lap times a lot more, and make it easier to defend your position in a race. You start applying the throttle at the apex or when you have more of a straight line out of the corner.

Last edited:
Your car tires have a finite grip. If you brake in a straight line, worse brake and turn at the same time, it will take you longer to slow down while turning.

So normally you'd brake in a straight line, get off the brakes, start turning, and then accelerate out of the turn as the car starts to straighten out.

Next if you brake really hard while turning, you'll just understeer off the road in most cases.

However if you brake hard, and then keep a little bit of pressure on the brakes as you start turning the wheels.. it will help your lap times a lot more, and make it easier to defend your position in a race. You start applying the throttle at the apex or when you have more of a straight line out of the corner.

Yep. It's basically dividing the maximum amount of available tire grip between braking and turning. More brake power - less lateral grip. More cornering speed - less braking power before the tires lose grip.

OK, this one is at least partly my fault. Great driving by the guy behind me to avoid everything! Although if he flashes his lights at me one more time, I'm gonna... probably run into the wall because I'm so focused on how much his flashing lights bother me. And no, I don't think he's doing it by mistake.

Are you asking how to trail brake? I don’t want to assume, but it sounds like it. If you’re not familiar with it, it means to brake a little later and then continue braking into the turn while you transition back onto the throttle.
I knew what it meant, but thanks - you never know what someone does or doesn't know.
The adjustments can be made on the pedals physically, and also with their own software, and then calibrated in the game itself.
I understood that. So you didn't change your physical pedal at all, making it stiffer or softer? My Logitech GT Pro has inserts I can change to change how stiff or soft the brake is.
I calibrate mine to have a 5% dead zone because my foot touches the pedal when I’m not braking. Without the dead zone I realized I was literally braking the entire race while people flew past me!
LOL. I had that happen too!
I have purchased a rig and am working on purchasing hardware from grumpy b/c he's a gem of a gent. I am prepared to suck even more than I currently do but by new years (i have vacation time between christmas and new years) I expect to be the same suck as I currently am
Thanks for that! I'll be surprised if you don't end up better, once you figure everything out. Then again, I know about suckage, too. 😂

I can suck with any equipment, that's for sure. And I've been proving it today. I think I've hit the CoD walls more times today than I've made it through them clean. Of course, my 101 degree temperature and slightly fuzzy brain doesn't help either. Yeah, let's blame it on that.

I understood that. So you didn't change your physical pedal at all, making it stiffer or softer? My Logitech GT Pro has inserts I can change to change how stiff or soft the brake is.
I have the Fanatec V3 pedals and use the stiffer springs on it. They come in a kit with different stiffness. I also put the damper on the throttle which makes it smooth and even.

there's a hybrid re-gen trick?
Yeah on the Porsche 919 the Hybrid re-gems under braking. At Fuji last time you had to ride the brake a little bit on some sections of the track to rebuild the hybrid boost so you could deploy it on the back straight. If you didn’t have full hybrid you lose power when it runs out which then hampered your speed down the straight.

Le Mans it might not be too much of an issue as you 4 long straights, but through final Sector and sector 1 you might need to ride the brake pedal to save the hybrid for the straight. Going to test it today so will let you know.

Yeah on the Porsche 919 the Hybrid re-gems under braking. At Fuji last time you had to ride the brake a little bit on some sections of the track to rebuild the hybrid boost so you could deploy it on the back straight. If you didn’t have full hybrid you lose power when it runs out which then hampered your speed down the straight.

Le Mans it might not be too much of an issue as you 4 long straights, but through final Sector and sector 1 you might need to ride the brake pedal to save the hybrid for the straight. Going to test it today so will let you know.
The last time this combo was run the R92CP decimated the modern prototypes on the straights, are we expecting this to have changed? Hybrid or not, running the 919 was useless against the Nissan.

Hey, my Sport mode keeps messing up, it did fine the first 2 races, now when I get 75% done the internet connection will mess up/go out. Happened to me last night in the Daily race A on the Alsace-Test course. I was doing good in 5th place on lap 6 and all of a sudden I got a message saying there was an error in the network. I hate it when that happens.

Any recommendations for a car in Race C with a decent turn in? WRX is brutal and I thought the 458 was solid but after lap 1 it becomes a real struggle to get it turned in.

I have purchased a rig and am working on purchasing hardware from grumpy b/c he's a gem of a gent. I am prepared to suck even more than I currently do but by new years (i have vacation time between christmas and new years) I expect to be the same suck as I currently am
You are now an honorary member of Sucking And Loving It. As SALI's President (and sole member), I would like to welcome you.
I've been sucking and loving it for a year now. Just today, I sucked from P4 to barely finishing P14!

As to braking and accelerating at the same time, it's a trick to grab traction on real dirt bikes. You intentionally keep a light pressure on the rear as you begin accelerating out of a turn.

I do it at the real kart track, but that is because of turbo lag...Ha! No it's because of poor throttle response of the motor - ya gotta anticipate when all 8 of those horsies are gonna run, so yeah, I am on the brake and throttle simultaneously all the time, but it's more like diminishing brake pressure is overlapped by my increasing pressure on the loud pedal.

Heel-to-toe is a technique that uses the left foot to control the clutch and brake simultaneously, while the right foot controls acceleration. When the driver is doing this, there is all kinds of overlap in braking and throttle.

Having said all that, when I asked an experienced Karter about throttling under braking, he looked at me like I was a complete idiot. So there is that.

Hey, my Sport mode keeps messing up, it did fine the first 2 races, now when I get 75% done the internet connection will mess up/go out. Happened to me last night in the Daily race A on the Alsace-Test course. I was doing good in 5th place on lap 6 and all of a sudden I got a message saying there was an error in the network. I hate it when that happens.
East Coast American Server has been glitchy for me too over the past couple of days. It happens.

At times, this game knows how to make me rage harder than Kratos himself! Did 2 warm up races on 2nd account and was feeling good so jumped into main for Daily Race B.

Falling even further behind with my 1:36:4 time now and started P12 in a lobby with just A/A+/ S rated players, which is fine.

A few things to negotiate at the start but half way through lap 2, was already in P7 and just 4 seconds behind leader. I felt top 5 was definitely possible but PD decided to intervene...

Guy in front, about 2 car lengths ahead, smashed straight into the COD and bounced to the middle of the chicane. I couldn't even react and had nowhere to go so collected him before he could ghost.

I get engine damage and a 5 second penalty!!! 🍌🎉

Drop to P14 but managed to finish in P11 for a net +1 finish but extremely annoyed as it was shaping up to be a great race 🫤

Last edited:
I have and while it's fun, there's now way I can be competitive in it.

So glad you posted this question!

I have a loadcell, and I've heard this, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to try to do. Are you just saying it's easier to brake less hard?

I HATE that helicopter! I swear it's going to land right in front of me, and by the time I look back at the track, smash! "Don't look at it" you'd say. But I'm like a dog when he sees a squirrel.

Great tip! Thanks.

What did you have to adjust? Softer or harder, or something else?
I increased the sensitivity so I would not need as much force. I still need to add the stiffer bumpers. I should have done that BEFORE I put it all together because now it is a bigger PITA. But I am going to move my whole midlife crisis to another room, so I will do it then. I hope to race more next week so maybe we'll make it into the same lobby!

At times, this game knows how to make me rage harder than Kratos himself! Did 2 warm up races on 2nd account and was feeling good so jumped into main for Daily Race B.

Falling even further behind with my 1:36:4 time now and started P12 in a lobby with just A/A+/ S rated players, which is fine.

A few things to negotiate at the start but half way through lap 2, was already in P7 and just 4 seconds behind leader. I felt top 5 was definitely possible but PD decided to intervene...

Guy in front, about 2 car lengths ahead, smashed straight into the COD and bounced to the middle of the chicane. I couldn't even react and had nowhere to go so collected him before he could ghost.

I get engine damage and a 5 second penalty!!! 🍌🎉

Drop to P14 but managed to finish in P11 for a net +1 finish but extremely annoyed as it was shaping up to be a great race 🫤

The penalty system is such a joke.

In love with this livery for the GTR '18 by @TCR_BenboBaggins

FjnqQwjXkAISzsf.jpg

FjnqQWoWAAAvhxV.jpg

FjnqRHZXgAAsxoG.jpg

Completely agree. Picked up at least a second when i upgraded my G29 to have a load cell brake pedal. And I am convinced a direct drive wheel with enough force to actually feel the road would result in another similar gain.

The guys getting A+ and cracking the top 100 on controllers are legends in my opinion...
What load cell upgrade did you go with?

The last time this combo was run the R92CP decimated the modern prototypes on the straights, are we expecting this to have changed? Hybrid or not, running the 919 was useless against the Nissan.
Oh I thought it was the 919 last time I did it.

Anyway from my quick test now I don't think hybrid is all that important, but I do think fuel saving will be important. Porsche can do just under 4 laps on, so need to find 1 lap of fuel. As for hybrid you only need recharge in sector 1 for the Tertre Rouge corner leading down the 1st section of the Mulsanne Straight. The rest you can recharge normally.

I do think another car will be the OP over Porsche but I don't have any of the classic Gr1 to test.

The gloves are off. If I'm gonna be stuck in C/C land, with people who haven't even heard the word "etiquette", then I'm driving accordingly. Don't try to pass me in places you shouldn't even be considering, and don't even think of smashing your way through the pack. I'm gonna kick every mother******'s *** who tries it.

I'm letting the true GRUMPY out of his cage!!!

Assuming I can make it through the * ** CoD in one piece. * ** I hate that thing!

(No, I didn't actually type any bad words - just asterisks. But I sure as hell thought them!!)

The gloves are off. If I'm gonna be stuck in C/C land, with people who haven't even heard the word "etiquette", then I'm driving accordingly. Don't try to pass me in places you shouldn't even be considering, and don't even think of smashing your way through the pack. I'm gonna kick every mother******'s *** who tries it.

I'm letting the true GRUMPY out of his cage!!!

Assuming I can make it through the * * CoD in one piece. ** I hate that thing!

(No, I didn't actually type any bad words - just asterisks. But I sure as hell thought them!!)
I know it's tempting man, but that's how you do end up truly stuck there.

Back