GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,321 comments
Any reason not to use softs in Race C?
Supra seems a good pace but I frogto to change from meds and got smoked by a couple of ferrari's.
Softs seems the way to go, ignoring the rain as it doesn't seem to last long enough to bother changing.
yeah there's no reason to go anything other than softs. Unless you're in the lobby and try to do a practice before the race starts and you find it's wet with rain on the radar. Then go Inters.

Either way I'm convinced that the tires you start the race with are the ones you're finishing with.

First time driving the Cossie in GT7 and I love the smooth gliding nature of it, feels so relaxing.

Race C was a rollercoaster, went from back to 1st on IM with rain at the start but fell back to 8th by the end, had an awesome race with bump drafting, changing conditions, wheel to wheel racing through Indianpolis. What a week, I haven't even tried Laguna Seca yet but I really hope they keep introducing new things like the weather in Race C and I'm going to enjoy it while it's there.

yeah there's no reason to go anything other than softs. Unless you're in the lobby and try to do a practice before the race starts and you find it's wet with rain on the radar. Then go Inters.

Either way I'm convinced that the tires you start the race with are the ones you're finishing with.
Seems to be the case, thus far anyway. Was watching some streamers and of the dozen or so races I saw every since one your last sentence it true for. And of those dozen-ish races, only one of them required IMs. After a few laps the track formed a dry line but the IMs in the dry were still better than pitting for RS tires.

Not saying that's how all of them have been/going to be, but a little disappointing for sure.

Last edited:
Seems to be the case, thus far anyway. Was watching some streamers and of the dozen or so races I saw every since one your last sentence it true for. And of those dozen-ish races, only one of them required IMs. After a few laps the track formed a dry line but the IMs in the dry were still better than pitting for RS tires.

Not saying that's how all of them have been/going to be, but a little disappointing for sure.
No doubt. When they gave the slow cars and no chicanes i really expected a down pour.

I'm a terrible cheat, they should ban me 🙈

I thought there was about to be a big crash behind me so took the escape road, I didn't expect for it to work out like that. I promise to not do it again!

I was laughing so hard when Rory went to check the replay because he didn't understand where the hell you got that exit speed from, he was impressed tho 🤣
That was hilarious! 🤣👍

I was laughing so hard when Rory went to check the replay because he didn't understand where the hell you got that exit speed from, he was impressed tho 🤣
That was hilarious! 🤣👍
Do you have a timestamp for that? I assume it's in Eerieissss's latest video, right?

"The weather is fully dynamic in the race this week, which means you’re never going to be sure what race you’re getting. It may be fully dry, fully wet, changing from one to the other, or back the other way, and all points in-between."

im really hoping in 24hrs time, the whole weather forecast is completely different. & then different again in another 24hrs.. ;)

"The weather is fully dynamic in the race this week, which means you’re never going to be sure what race you’re getting. It may be fully dry, fully wet, changing from one to the other, or back the other way, and all points in-between."

im really hoping in 24hrs time, the whole weather forecast is completely different. & then different again in another 24hrs.. ;)
Time doesn't pass all that much during the race. They definitely didn't implement a fast forwarded 24 hour time period for this race. I think it's a legit 1x Time variable.

In my 3 races today one started wet and rained for like 2ish laps and was dry to the finish. One was dry the entire way with a half lap squall on Mulsanne that didn't get the track wet and the last I never got more than 2 minutes into before quitting lol

Time doesn't pass all that much during the race. They definitely didn't implement a fast forwarded 24 hour time period for this race. I think it's a legit 1x Time variable.

In my 3 races today one started wet and rained for like 2ish laps and was dry to the finish. One was dry the entire way with a half lap squall on Mulsanne that didn't get the track wet and the last I never got more than 2 minutes into before quitting lol
i meant more in the way of the weather forecast is different for each 24hr period.. ie: 24hrs of rain, 24hrs of changeable conditions, 24hrs of rain, 24hrs of clear skies, 24hrs of rain etc, etc..

Another little tale from today's daily races A:

My slightly mean-spirited alter ego (nickname: J.F. Sebastian) who is roaming around the DR C lobbies, fired up his barn find, another old Cossie who has seen much better days, and ran some races from the back.

In one of them he went bowling (yes, the joke is not new, but I still like it 😇), disposing of a dirty driver who already had deliberately punted three drivers off track, including J.F. himself. It just happened at the right part of the track for that foto opportunity:

3DAF835B-F326-4D7E-BF07-3899E486DED8.jpeg

:D

I had been wishing for dynamic weather in online races and finally got it. The start was fun since it was inters condition but everyone looked like they were all on softs, including me. But after the start, it was pretty much dry for rest of the race.

I was slightly surprised to see that a car called "gt by citroen race" seemed to be fastest, faster than my Viper and than Veyron while driving badly and constantly ramming me from behind me at every corner. After the race, checked and saw that the driver had safety rating S, just like everyone, including me. Strange.

Apart from that driver, I loved how everyone raced very cleanly. It was quite nervous being 3-car wide at straights and 2-car wide at corners (not at Porsche curves, never at Porsche curves please) many times but everything was so clean.

It was my first time driving a Viper GT4 and I quite like this car. Incredibly stable at braking and confident through the Porsche curves. Looking forward to more dynamic weather online races, especially hoping it will force us to pit.

Last edited:
I had been wishing for dynamic weather in online races and finally got it. The start was fun since it was inters condition but everyone looked like they were all on softs, including me. But after the start, it was pretty much dry for rest of the race.

I was slightly surprised to see that a car called "gt by citroen race" seemed to be fastest, faster than my Viper and than Veyron while driving badly and constantly ramming me from behind me at every corner. After the race, checked and saw that the driver had safety rating S, just like everyone, including me. Strange.

Apart from that driver, I loved how everyone raced very cleanly. It was quite nervous being 3-car wide at straights and 2-car wide at corners (not at Porsche curves, never at Porsche curves please) many times but everything was so clean.

It was my first time driving a Viper GT4 and I quite like this car. Incredibly stable at braking and confident through the Porsche curves. Looking forward to more dynamic weather online races, especially hoping it will force us to pit.
were they ramming you from behind or were they "bump drafting" where the car behind gets a run, bumps you forward, then gets a run again. Working in tandem down the Mulsanne you can drastically pull away from cars behind OR catch up to cars ahead vastly faster than you otherwise should have.

were they ramming you from behind or were they "bump drafting" where the car behind gets a run, bumps you forward, then gets a run again. Working in tandem down the Mulsanne you can drastically pull away from cars behind OR catch up to cars ahead vastly faster than you otherwise should have.
its just a pity not many people know how to bump-draft, all ive been getting is "boom-drafting" 🤦‍♂️ ...which can get annoying the whole way down Mulsanne.

There's some question as to whether this affects your SR or not (I assume the question is about the bumper, not the bumpee). So, caveat emptor.

So laguna this week is like kyoto was a few weeks ago. It makes it VERY clear there are basically no contact penalties. Even in A lobbies there are people pushing and punting all over the place. AFAIK the only place you can actually get a penalty for pushing or causing an accident is the corkscrew.

Got pushed/punted twice tonight and ended in low position, also got two podiums right after that so it was basically a wash. What's super frustrating is I'm fast this week, like REALLY fast. For the first time ever I feel like I can actually race with the go fast bois. I only did a time trail for like 20 mins and I feel like a 1:20 is in me. I can't do the alien 1:19s but I'm fairly certain I can get into the 1:20s. I love this track with the porche, something just clicks for me. Easily my favorite track so far, minus the extremely dirty driving.

I'm having more success just braking super early and letting people pass if they are even remotely close on the backside of the track. I few time braking early after getting off line they go flying by into the wall cause they planned on punting me. So it's 50/50 if they were going to attempt a really terrible pass and punt me, or do it on purpose lol. In my experience I always end up with better placement just letting them pass me before the turn. On the rest of the track it's not as bad. If you leave space people are generally ok I think. it's only the back side of the track, where people shouldn't be passing frankly, that people have issues. The last corner can cause issues too I guess. People brake SUPER early for corkscrew and the last corner, I honestly have no idea why. I've gotten so many positions coming out of the last corner.

@GrumpyOldMan it's killing you that someone on your friends list has a faster qualifying time isn't it? :P Nothing but love man, I hope I see you in a race at some point.

Last edited:
I had to try race C with the dynamic weather after reading the reactions here. I jumped in the Ferrari first, but I found it too unstable in the corners for my liking. I then tried the Viper and found that more to my liking. I did a few laps to set some type of time that ended up being a 4:04.9XX. Not the best, not the worst, but tons of room for improvement.

I entered a race to see what I could do with the Viper. I couldn't enter the pre-race practice session for some reason to see what the weather was doing. I thought I was going to disconnect as it was lagging bad. I was P9 on the grid and I was keeping up thanks to a Veyron that figured out that bump drafting was the way to go instead of trying to pass me. Well, they got into the back of me and I got punted at the end of the Mulsanne Straight. Nothing intentional, but still annoying. They did wait for me to pass so that was nice of them. Next lap, I wipe out a driver as I entered way too hot into Indianapolis and sent them flying. I got a 3 second penalty and I waited for them to pass me. So, a total disaster of a first race. I was going to enter another one, but I missed the deadline. That probably was a blessing in disguise as I got more practice in. The weather was a non-factor as there was no rain aside from a few sprinkles in spots on the track.

I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens. Once everyone understands what the race is all about later in the week it should be good.

Daily C……… Well PD finally added some Dynamic Weather, who would have thought that would see the day?

Any did a couple of races today and i can honestly see this race wearing thin in me soon. My gripe with race is the Mulsanne Straight. In my lobbies so far some people don’t understand the slipstream effect or bump drafting. I’ve seen people fighting for positions on lap 1 by trying to weave down the straight and break tow, or they decide to not bump draft and try an overtakes.

Dynamic weather so far been a bit poor from what I’ve seen. I get we will not get rain ever session but the rain that does come is poor.
Two main problems.
1. Weather Speed - that weather moves fast! The rain hits and then 10 seconds later it gone. Also the weather likes to appear on the radar but does a great job of avoiding the track.
2. Length of the lap and pit lane loss - due to the speed of the weather, the pit lane loss and how long a lap is, if you see rain, they is literally no point in pitting. By the time you pitted and got halfway round a lap, the track has dried up and then you’re on the wrong tyre.

Now I have been lucky in one of my races and starting on inters was the right call but at the end of the Mulsaane straight the rain stopped, and the track was still wet to cause the dry runners to go off track and I ended up in P3 from the back, but by the time I had pitted on the 1st lap I was down in P12.

Right now I think this is the worst combo to test dynamic weather. Red Bull Ring would have been perfect to test this with it been a short lap and pit lose time not too bad either.

They changed the rain physics a while back. Light blue on radar only means light rain, even if it is fully on track. Dark blue, pink and purple is what you need to be extra careful with.

Last edited:
So I killed my DR even more this evening. I decided to time trial Laguna to get used to it and test out cars. Also I was practicing with manual transmission and no TCS. Spent about a hour or more just practicing. Finally settled on the Porsche as being the most consistent for me. Some other cars felt faster at times (Beetle) but was more intent on killing me! LOL.

Anyway, I did a thing, and managed to qualify at 1:24.003. Occasionally I would pull out a great lap (for me) and surprise myself and I was getting faster all the time, but between the more common 1:25.xxx and 1:26.xxx I would also spectacularly crash an burn as I pushed it to see what my limits were... I was scared entering a race that I would not be able to maintain that speed!

Race 1. Got a 5th spot qualifying position. The start was not too bad but did not make it 1/2 lap before being punted out into a wall and the inevitable penalty. I proceeded to the end and ended up second to last from the remaining cars.

Race 2. Thought I would try again. Got a 2nd spot qualifying position, my first this high, and had a good start and took the lead on the first hairpin. I did punt the car in front a bit though, but they braked sooo early, wasn't even close to what I thought would be the braking spot. I proceed and pulled quite a lead, but karma came back to bite me at turn 5 where I drifted into the gravel and buried myself. I got back on track but after that I had a complete melt down and crashed twice more before I quit the race before I completed 1 lap. What a waste...

Race 3. Wanted to redeem myself after race 2. Got a 4th place qualifying spot. Very clean start from the top 5. No bumping and good pace. Entering the corkscrew I was still in 4th, but 3rd went a little wiggly causing me to slow a bit more than I would have. 5th rear ended me sending me spinning into the gravel and wall. 4th to last in 3 seconds plus penalty, ugh! I proceeded to finish the race but Laguna is so short that any loss of place will be hard to recover, baring really slow tail enders and incidents ahead. I ended up, something like 11th in the end.

20970312331319824.jpg

This is not the direction you want to be pointing in the Corkscrew.

20970687556273671.jpg

I gave the Cossie and bit of a go before I finished for the night. That thing wants to kill you. In fact I remember them from the 80s. They wanted to kill you then as well. :D Sidenote, my parents owned a Ford Sierra, but ours was the sad pedestrian version. As I kid of 16 I would lust after the Cosworth version.

Last edited:
i meant more in the way of the weather forecast is different for each 24hr period.. ie: 24hrs of rain, 24hrs of changeable conditions, 24hrs of rain, 24hrs of clear skies, 24hrs of rain etc, etc..
It would be great but I'd be very surprised if this was the plan. Typically what we get on Monday is what we have for the week. The Sport guy doesn't come back until the following week :lol:

My first Daily A there were only 5 people haha, My second Daily A got hung on the warmup screen but messages fro the other drivers showed i was not the only one but was kind of pissed to accept the message that it could be negative for the DR cause i'm trying to go from B to A ( i am at 58 races total now ) because i'm hoping those higher lobby's are a bit better.

But did qualify 1th in the next round and could maintain that position to the end, was kind of exiting but fun to let that Cossy slide around and still create a nice gap, this was fun!

But i was expecting kind of a victory screen?, there was nothing like that :lol:

20230124_074959.jpg

It does. I hit SRA last night with nothing but bump drafting and 1 track limit penalty.
Same for me 🙈
Oh great, here we go again. Thanks, PD, for punishing all those cheating bump drafters! And those racers who (are) hit (into) the wall?! It’s about time they finally are revealed for what they truly are: cheaters! I’m so grateful that their abominable behavior has finally been properly penalized so that all the punters and divebombers can be free of their menacing behavior!

Sheesh! PD is driving me nuts!

Last edited:
Oh great, here we go again. Thanks, PD, for punishing all those cheating bump drafters! And those racers who (are) hit (into) the wall?! It’s about time they finally are revealed for what they truly are: cheaters! I’m so grateful that their abominable behavior has finally been properly penalized so that all the punters and divebombers can be free of their menacing behavior!

Sheesh! PD is driving me nuts!
PD Logic: I won't give you a penalty for corner cutting if you got pushed off, which means I have detected that another person has pushed you off. I won't give that person a penalty though either, even though I have detected that as the reason for you corner cutting.

Top 1-2% of the player base telling the entire rest of us the penalty system is fine because it works for them. Playing Laguna this week turn 6 and the corkscrew are just punts left right and center. No one cares because there is no reason to care. OFC the top lobbies are good because the drivers themselves care and they handle the extreme minority of bad drivers exploiting it. The problem is that in lobbies outside of that utopia of aliens that's like half the grid or more. You can watch streams from some time ago, the penalty system used to be a lot better for the bulk of the player base, they tuned contact penalties way down at some point.

As for SR, I have no idea what this rating is supposed to represent because it certainly does not represent clean driving. As long as you finish the race you can bash and push your way past every other driver and maintain an SR S rating. I often wonder how it's even possible to get below an SR A rating. To me SR is a meaningless rating as it is currently implemented and only tells me if a driver finishes races or not, because it doesn't say anything at all about how dirty that driver is.

TLDR: If you're not a top A/A+ rated driver, your opinion doesn't matter. Not here, and not to PD.

Last edited:
PD Logic: I won't give you a penalty for corner cutting if you got pushed off, which means I have detected that another person has pushed you off. I won't give that person a penalty though either, even though I have detected that as the reason for you corner cutting.

Top 1-2% of the player base telling the entire rest of us the penalty system is fine because it works for them. Playing Laguna this week turn 6 and the corkscrew are just punts left right and center. No one cares because there is no reason to care. OFC the top lobbies are good because the drivers themselves care and they handle the extreme minority of bad drivers exploiting it. The problem is that in lobbies outside of that utopia of aliens that's like half the grid or more. You can watch streams from some time ago, the penalty system used to be a lot better for the bulk of the player base, they tuned contact penalties way down at some point.

As for SR, I have no idea what this rating is supposed to represent because it certainly does not represent clean driving. As long as you finish the race you can bash and push your way past every other driver and maintain an SR S rating. I often wonder how it's even possible to get below an SR A rating. To me SR is a meaningless rating as it is currently implemented and only tells me if a driver finishes races or not, because it doesn't say anything at all about how dirty that driver is.

TLDR: If you're not a top A/A+ rated driver, your opinion doesn't matter. Not here, and not to PD.
An active AI driven penalty system will never work, it's why no other game does it. iRacing and ACC have purely a "both parties at fault" system for contact that works pretty well, a clean driver is going to get caught up in less incidents than a dirty one, and whilst they might take an incident point here or there - it's outweighed by the rest of their driving. I don't understand why GT hasn't just leant into something like that, the SR system is like halfway to that but it's too meaningless to matter.

I want to take your first point as an example.

"I won't give you a penalty for corner cutting if you got pushed off, which means I have detected that another person has pushed you off. I won't give that person a penalty though either, even though I have detected that as the reason for you corner cutting."

It sounds good on paper but it's immediately exploitable if you think about it. In any corner, this gives you the ability to bump into someone, cut the course - get away with it and then give the other person a penalty for hitting you off. Which is pretty much exactly what you saw in lower lobbies when contact penalties were stronger.

It's a mess of a system from top to bottom. It's crying out for a rework.

Last edited:
Back