GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,442 comments
I mean, have you actually paid attention to the splits?

In GT Sport (and early 7, and when they had the one week with ranked in May(?)) you'd have competitive splits up and down the field as you do in any other race. The only exception now really is when they do a tuning race or group race, which attracts more people.

I'm challenged to find a one make race with more than one other A+ driver now, no matter the time of day. It's not a hard conclusion to make.
I'm sure you'd be having just as much fun with the race if it was ranked. I enjoy my time there now because the combinations are good but the competitiveness of the race is absolutely dead and buried because of course they would be with no ranking incentive.
Of course. Like I mentioned earlier, I clearly remember a Spanish guy, SNR-GT-PRO, fairly good daily pace IIRC picking up over 10,000 wins in daily A in GT Sport. Hardly because it was competitive, more so the opposite. I’d say the races look pretty similar now. It’s almost always had a kind of "noob" feeling, daily A with its’ particular track and car selections. Stacked lobbies, as one might say, in daily A was always a rare occurrence.

When it gets a little bit competitive is when car selection goes to like you say, a Gr class or perhaps a fast, compelling road car. The unranked Gr.3 races we’ve had in daily A I remember with great pleasure as they kept a slight competitive edge to them, yet you absolutely could use whatever.

Wow and Wow.
1st wow is for the blatant pushing you off the track! That 4th place must have been precious to that driver.
2nd wow for the height you gained of that bump. 🤣

Can I ask what DR & SR was that lobby?
Mid B for DR and S for SR B/S

I am about 1600 in the world for C at the moment but only did a handful of laps Monday and it was my first daily C of the week as I mainly do Bs to be fair.

Was on the alt strat as I started second so RM for 13 laps, tyres and a splash and dash. Had an off earl in the race which took me out of my true position which should have been behind third but was lapping quicker

Of course. Like I mentioned earlier, I clearly remember a Spanish guy, SNR-GT-PRO, fairly good daily pace IIRC picking up over 10,000 wins in daily A in GT Sport. Hardly because it was competitive, more so the opposite. I’d say the races look pretty similar now. It’s almost always had a kind of "noob" feeling, daily A with its’ particular track and car selections. Stacked lobbies, as one might say, in daily A was always a rare occurrence.

When it gets a little bit competitive is when car selection goes to like you say, a Gr class or perhaps a fast, compelling road car. The unranked Gr.3 races we’ve had in daily A I remember with great pleasure as they kept a slight competitive edge to them, yet you absolutely could use whatever.
Daily A ranked with the Clios or Scriroccos felt like club sport races. Tight, competitive and favoured the race minded by mid to end of the week.

Now other than the fun of the race or the Combo, for me they don't have the appeal behind them any more. No reward and no reason to answer the question PD themselves posed "what is sportsmanship"

They lack the pick up and play feel of a race, they choose some extremely polarising cars/track/tuning combos which aren't as accessible as everyone racing clios when they give us a massively technical track and arguably one of the most "rewarding" cars that is far from accessible to make go fast cleanly...

Accessible for clarity is ease of driving fast not accessibility which is a HCI thing

I'm sure you'd be having just as much fun with the race if it was ranked. I enjoy my time there now because the combinations are good but the competitiveness of the race is absolutely dead and buried because of course they would be with no ranking incentive.
I'd completely agree here. Last week, race C has been basically a longer race A with DR/SR. I ran a lot of them. This week's race A, well, qualifying with that car is good fun (and hard work 😆), but I feel way less motivated to do actual races. It feels a bit like there is not enough reward for what's my only modest strenght in GT7: learning to drive a variety of road cars and then move them as fast as possible.

One thing I have noticed in my two races, the A+ guys are on another level. Their ability to rotate means they really do scamper away from the A drivers. In both my races I beat my fellow A drivers but we were bunched pretty tight, the A+ guys were SECONDS up the road.

Without sounding like a ****, watching a few videos you guys posted, you're attacking the right hander at the end of the long straight too much. Slow down a bit, be sure to keep wide so you can attack the next right hander, that's the key one. It's like the chicane at the end of kemmel, you forgo speed into the left hander so you can attack the right hander onto the short straight.

So set up the second line by sacrificing the first and come out in that straight like a bat outta hell. Same concept I think with the last corner of the half-hexagon set of turns. If you can get the car positioned right you can fly through there in a similar fashion.

Try driving that MONO from last week and call it a NOOB type race. That thing took skill to handle. More skill than that stupid Gr3 911

I had many very competitive and wildly fun race A lobbies. I found during the busy times it was a very competitive field, especially during a lot of the 1 makes. Some of the wilder combos and super sketchy cars made it less so, but 86/BRZ combos, MX-5s of all types, the Minis and many others always provided a lot of really close and tight racing. I miss those.

This week is really an outlier as Gr4 has been a 4wd crapfest for months (my god is it refreshing to have real car choice for actual competitive rides again!!) And GT3 seems to be the one everyone claims is close, but never is as much as it seems. The cars are usually stable enough that most people can drive them, but difficult enough that the gaps are massive by the end of the race.

Give me my good Race A 💩boxes again. And with ratings. Even some of the more fun combos recently have been half empty because of the change. Make the Gr3 and Gr4 races no ratings for a couple of weeks and bring back some classic combos that used to keep race A pumping, give them active ratings and see the numbers change. I still think Gr3 is massively overrated.

On the plus side, run 3 different cars in 4 races at Big Willow this week. 86, Scirocco and RCZ. Various starting spots, but a p2 every finish. Just barely making a dent in the ratings I dropped after 4 out of 5 races disconnected while high A and paired with B and C drivers, but I am having fun.

Last edited:
Try driving that MONO from last week and call it a NOOB type race. That thing took skill to handle. More skill than that stupid Gr3 911

I had many very competitive and wildly fun race A lobbies. I found during the busy times it was a very competitive field, especially during a lot of the 1 makes. Some of the wilder combos and super sketchy cars made it less so, but 86/BRZ combos, MX-5s of all types, the Minis and many others always provided a lot of really close and tight racing. I miss those.

This week is really an outlier as Gr4 has been a 4wd crapfest for months (my god is it refreshing to have real car choice for actual competitive rides again!!) And GT3 seems to be the one everyone claims is close, but never is as much as it seems. The cars are usually stable enough that most people can drive them, but difficult enough that the gaps are massive by the end of the race.

Give me my good Race A 💩boxes again. And with ratings. Even some of the more fun combos recently have been half empty because of the change. Make the Gr3 and Gr4 races no ratings for a couple of weeks and bring back some classic combos that used to keep race A pumping, give them active ratings and see the numbers change. I still think Gr3 is massively overrated.

On the plus side, run 3 different cars in 4 races at Big Willow this week. 86, Scirocco and RCZ. Various starting spots, but a p2 every finish. Just barely making a dent in the ratings I dropped after 4 out of 5 races disconnected while high A and paired with B and C drivers, but I am having fun.
Agree. Make the A races what they were. Not tack days

I did do the race with the BAC Mono in that odd Lago Maggiore layout a lot, around 50 or 60 times. I’ll give it to you that it was perhaps more peculiar to handle than your usual daily A ride but no need to cherrypick.

I’ll also admit that some car selections have been faster and trickier than usual, at least in GT7 compared to GTS as far as A is concerned. For that I praise Polyphony. Some examples are P1 GTR, Giulia GTAm, MP4/4, Lamborghini V12 VGT, F1500T-A, GT-R NISMO. But in general, don’t you think my description applies? There’s quite a lot of slow hatchback, kei, 86/BRZ type races. Those are obviously close and tight because it’s borderline impossible to make mistakes.

Ok so your same DRish then me. I'm mid/high B/S.
Ive not see a move like that for a long time in DR B especially in a SR S lobby. When I've been paired with your SR B & C you get some poor behaviour like that.
I'm the same DR/SR too - yesterday I had some great clean races at Willow, today I got rammed off in 3 out of the 4 races I entered.....

one of the great things about starting towards the front in Race B is it's gonna be really clean. As long as you can make T1/2 cleanly you're golden the rest of the race unless you screw up or the car behind goes on an epic drive to catch you.
I've pulled my DR/SR back up to B/B from C/D at the start of the week with basically 5-6 races starting in the top 3 and finishing in the top 3. No penalties, no smacking others, just go as fast as I can and finish well.

Still grinding for QT though, I know I can go faster.

I did do the race with the BAC Mono in that odd Lago Maggiore layout a lot, around 50 or 60 times. I’ll give it to you that it was perhaps more peculiar to handle than your usual daily A ride but no need to cherrypick.

I’ll also admit that some car selections have been faster and trickier than usual, at least in GT7 compared to GTS as far as A is concerned. For that I praise Polyphony. Some examples are P1 GTR, Giulia GTAm, MP4/4, Lamborghini V12 VGT, F1500T-A, GT-R NISMO. But in general, don’t you think my description applies? There’s quite a lot of slow hatchback, kei, 86/BRZ type races. Those are obviously close and tight because it’s borderline impossible to make mistakes.
Whats wrong with slower races if the racing us really good though? That's my point. We'll just disagree on that, but I definitely don't hold to the opinion that more speed makes it better. F1 may be the pinnacle of engineering, but there's almost infinitely more great on track battles in the slower Indycar or F2 categories. And check out the MX5s from this year's Daytona 25 weekend.

I miss good close all race long battles in slower cars that counted for ratings. It's a ghost town now. It wasn't even remotely this bad before they removed the ratings.

Just had the most soul destroying 5 hours at Race C. Couldn't get on with the TT so tried a few other cars (mustang is brutal). Settled on the gtr and did just 1 qualifying lap 1:19.072, could easily shave another second off that. Anyway, the racing was scandalous, not 1 race where I didn't get ****ed off the track in the first 2 laps. I didn't see 1 single penalty given all evening. Really , it was a disgrace. I know being stuck at C/S doesn't help but I have never been as p*ssed off as I am now 🤬🤬🤬
That you put in 5 hours of work. Impressive.

Whats wrong with slower races if the racing us really good though? That's my point. We'll just disagree on that, but I definitely don't hold to the opinion that more speed makes it better. F1 may be the pinnacle of engineering, but there's almost infinitely more great on track battles in the slower Indycar or F2 categories. And check out the MX5s from this year's Daytona 25 weekend.

I miss good close all race long battles in slower cars that counted for ratings. It's a ghost town now. It wasn't even remotely this bad before they removed the ratings.
I agree with this. I just hopped onto the Porsche race for a couple rounds and there was me, 1 other A+ driver, and then it was filled with B and C drivers who were about 3-4 seconds slower than me and 2nd.

I will definitely agree A was never as "stacked" as B and C are now. But they were certainly never this bad either. It's not even any fun racing, because there's simply no real competition.

WEC and the VLN/NLS at the Nurburgring are probably the best races to watch for me.
But for sport races, beat week of races I had was on GTsport daily race a with the fiat 500. Absolutely nail biting and such a laugh 😁

I'm still having fun on Race A in general, although I have to admit they lack edge.

I think the removal of DR & SR updates is a double edged sword. Dirty, careless drivers will get away with their deeds, but at least serious racers won't be paying for it with their ratings.

I still think just increasing rewards would at least bring some more interest back, assuming it has indeed been lost.

Edit: yes @Nebuc72 I know what you mean. Inevitably the race consists of getting away safely from the first few corners and then hoping you and the other might still have the chance of a good race

Last edited:
Tried the RX Vision at Dragon Trail, and immediately cut 6 tenths of a second off my best QT. I shared it in Showcase - search for "gtp6". Note that I'm using all assists - this thing slides around the track without them.
1675813281919.png

I thought lobbies were matched based on DR/SR, not QT? I got this lobby around 2:30pm, west coast time - at the time I was B/S, with DR around 85%. This looks like it was matched more on QT than DR/SR. I suppose there could have been a small pool of SR S drivers at the time, but it seems unlikely it would be this small.
1675813721723.png

Did the race, and I was around P6 on Lap 5. On T1, the two cars in front of me spun out, and I couldn't avoid hitting one. 3 second penalty. Totally bogus - he slid across in front of me, obviously heading completely off the track, and because I couldn't avoid him, I got a 3 second penalty. When he would have gone off the track if I hadn't even touched him. ****.

The worst part? I served the 3 second penalty right before the start of Lap 6, and it put me in P13. That totally sucked.

And airborne TT...

That was EPIC!!! Sorry it happened to you, but come on, you gotta admit it was cool AF!

MX-5 Cup is hands down flat out I will die on this hill the absolute best racing series on the planet. Always close competition, nobody "dominates", cars aren't so fast that they're dangerous, vv nimble, just amazingly awesome racing. It was also awesome when it was the daily race at Road Atlanta and I want it to come back!

MX-5 Cup is hands down flat out I will die on this hill the absolute best racing series on the planet. Always close competition, nobody "dominates", cars aren't so fast that they're dangerous, vv nimble, just amazingly awesome racing. It was also awesome when it was the daily race at Road Atlanta and I want it to come back!
Unsure if you follow DannyDC2 on YouTube but the KA endurance race he competed in looked brilliant.

Tried the RX Vision at Dragon Trail, and immediately cut 6 tenths of a second off my best QT. I shared it in Showcase - search for "gtp6". Note that I'm using all assists - this thing slides around the track without them.
View attachment 1229071

I thought lobbies were matched based on DR/SR, not QT? I got this lobby around 2:30pm, west coast time - at the time I was B/S, with DR around 85%. This looks like it was matched more on QT than DR/SR. I suppose there could have been a small pool of SR S drivers at the time, but it seems unlikely it would be this small.
View attachment 1229073

Did the race, and I was around P6 on Lap 5. On T1, the two cars in front of me spun out, and I couldn't avoid hitting one. 3 second penalty. Totally bogus - he slid across in front of me, obviously heading completely off the track, and because I couldn't avoid him, I got a 3 second penalty. When he would have gone off the track if I hadn't even touched him. ****.

The worst part? I served the 3 second penalty right before the start of Lap 6, and it put me in P13. That totally sucked.

That was EPIC!!! Sorry it happened to you, but come on, you gotta admit it was cool AF!
bruh.... no matter the car I can't crack 1:32 and here you are knocking on the door of 1:31 that's awesome! I tried your vantage btw, it tried to kill me even using TC1

Currently sticking with the BRZ and trying to perfect my lap time with that. It's competitive in my B/B lobbies so I'm content with that. If I get up to an A this week I'll probably just keep using it and farm some SR while I'm doing it. GL and get that 1:31!

A is really fun this week. I remember that Porsche being virtually impossible to drive, but the last time I tried was many many many updates ago. Now, it's really fun. The car has almost the perfect amount of slidey oversteer where you can really throw it into the fast turns and let it just drift/slide out.

I've seen a lot more A+ drivers in A this week than I remember seeing before. I don't think I am the only one who likes this combo (and doesn't really like the other two). Been in a couple great, close races.

156a59a2583b9aad3c390789be80ab35_photo.webp

*I'm a little peeved widebody kits aren't allowed, as my Porsche I already owned had one. If the BoP is on, what difference does it make? Purely visual. Sold that one and bought a new one. PD being PD. Whatever...

Last edited:
I just had a really good race B. I started P10 in a field of mostly B/A and B/B drivers. Why is it that a lot of the Brazilian drivers I get matched up with are a higher DR class but have poorer SR B ratings? Are they, let's say, a bit more aggressive? I was thinking, this could be a poor showing on my part with so many B drivers ahead of me...

The first lap and a half was incredible. Chaos ensured but I was able to thread my way cleanly through it to take P3. I then lost P3, dropping to P4 only to immediately gain it again passing a leader with a time penalty. From there (the end of lap 2) to lap 5 I remained in P3 with a few seconds between me and P4. On lap 4 however, P4 spun allowing P5 to jump behind me. This racer must have been held up by the prior P4 as now they chased me down. At the hairpin at the start of the final lap they caught and took me so I slipped to fourth. I caught my rear wheel on the curb and almost spun, so after that I took it easier to preserve my spot. There I finished, crossing the line in P4. While not a podium, in a field full of DR B drivers I am very happy!

IMG_6231.JPG

I edited this down to focus on just the action.

This bumped by DR up by 960 pts.

I tried some QT at Willow Springs. I just don't like that circuit and couldn't beat 1:20.. I think I will just skip that this week.

Last edited:
I don't mind spending the credits as it's a sick looking car and I have fun driving it. However, my 911 is faster.
View attachment 1228938

I further shaved time off that with another session so there's no denying that these times were much easier in the 911 as I was unable to get into the 1:34s with the BRZ with many more sessions. The BRZ probably needs a better driver than I to maximize its cornering capabilities though. For instance I'm unable to trail brake through T1 and accelerate out but perhaps that is the nature of that turn. The best I can do is brake in before turn, hold the curve at something like 60 and then accelerate when pointing down the straight.

I'll continue to swap between the BRZ and 911 to see how they play out. I must admit it would be fun to be competitive is something that is not one of the dominate cars (911, GTR..).

Speaking of T1. After getting a decent (for me) QT I decided to do my second race B. I was unable to drive much last night as my son got a new game and kicked me off his PS5. How uncaring he is! LOL. Anyway, I qualified in P7 and as I was gaining on P6 into T1 and the initial speeds were slower than full pace I went down the inside for a tighter turn! Bad move and the embarrassment! I spun out and then getting going again I spun out again! 🤦‍♂️ P7 to P16 first turn. Not good. I must remember about cold tires and extra fuel on lap one... Luckily ahead, three more has spun out on the first lap and someone left the race, so by lap 2 so I was up to P11. By lap 4 I could see quite a pack in front of me so I knew I was gaining (1:35 lap 2 and a 1:34.x lap 3). Very motivational! Lap 4 was slower as I could not easily get round a glitchy P10. But on lap five, both I and P10 took a spot from someone with a penalty so I jumped to P10. If I had had more laps I think I could have got back into the top half, given I was lapping a second or 2 higher than those immediately in front, but passing was a challenge and I had a slight wobble on a curb that lost me a few seconds so I settle in to finish P10. I lost DR on that race but I was happy with my improved pace.

Highlights..

BTW, can I "friend" some of you? While we'll probably never meet in a lobby given our vastly different driver's rating It would be fun for me to see your lap times on the leader board for me to chase after. Then again, that might be depressing as it might reinforce how mediocre I am! LOL.

Friend me

I agree with this. I just hopped onto the Porsche race for a couple rounds and there was me, 1 other A+ driver, and then it was filled with B and C drivers who were about 3-4 seconds slower than me and 2nd.

I will definitely agree A was never as "stacked" as B and C are now. But they were certainly never this bad either. It's not even any fun racing, because there's simply no real competition.
It's all relative. Was in some race As today were the top seven finished within two seconds of each other. In fact it was caught live on this guy's stream. Have a look at the group on the last ~1.75 laps.

I am in the orange car and was in the heat of it until T2 on the last lap. Got pushed into the grass and that was the end of that fun. Really unfortunate as I was loving that close racing. Everyone was being super clean (until I got pushed) but it was like that for basically the whole race.

Another one where the top four finished within one second of each other. Also on that guy's stream somewhere.

But, the spread is there. Most lobbies are mostly Bs with maybe a few As and an A+ or two. Got lucky in a few where there were like 3-4 A+s but that's not typical. It's just like anything else in this game: sometimes you get lucky with your lobby and sometimes you don't.

Last edited:
Is spent most of my time practicing for race C yesterday. I thought I could make the Mustang work, but boy was I wrong with that choice. I did some custom races and there was no way it would work with refueling in the pits. Speaking of the pits, here I am entering them after hitting the bump on the exit of the final turn as seen here.

Willow Springs International Raceway_ Big Willow_.jpeg

I purchased the Audi TT and had a heck of a time figuring out the car on a track I'm not that strong at. Tried for a bit then gave up as I couldn't keep the car on track. Today I got the car under control enough to attempt a race at least to see where I stand with other drivers. I did end up with a time of 1:18.5XX which isn't the fastest. I might be able to get a few more tenths out of the car with what I learned from the race today.

Anyway, I hop into a race and I'm P9 on the grid. I start on the hard tires and make it to turn 5 where I'm shoved off track. I was pitting anyway, but that cost me some time for sure. I exit the pits in P14 and I drive the best I can. I'm actually doing a pretty good job by my standards and passing others as they pit. Now, my pace is terrible as I'm learning this track and race on the fly and adjusting accordingly. But, I keep it on track for the most part. I do hook a wheel at the apex on turn 2 when I cut the corner too close, but catch the car and keep going. I honestly don't know how I did didn't spin out. I do run into some trouble as I attempt to pass a Viper driver who was slow after rejoining the track, and gives me a hit on the side and shoves me off track. I hang on somehow and keep going. On the last lap, the same Viper driver gets the last turn wrong and I make a pass. But, they try and run me off the track! AGAIN!

Fortunately, they fail and actually send me ahead of them with the momentum of the hit and I hold on to P6 with my wild wide. I got a clean race bonus depite the multiple off tracks, but they weren't my own doing so whatever. I drop a "Really?" in the post race chat. No response and they quit the lobby. Absolutely disgusting behavior for that driver. I decided not to go again in case that that dirty driver was in the lobby. I don't need any more of that. Instead, I started work on a custom livery for my car. Much more relaxing.

I did have my doubts about this race with my weakness with Willow Springs and it being a fuel saving race. The Audi TT drives much better as compared to Sport from what I remember. I actually had a fun time with the race and probably would have had a better finish without being shoved off track 3 times. I'm looking forward to more races tomorrow since I know what to expect.

Currently sticking with the BRZ and trying to perfect my lap time with that. It's competitive in my B/B lobbies so I'm content with that. If I get up to an A this week I'll probably just keep using it and farm some SR while I'm doing it. GL and get that 1:31!
I'm back with the V12 again, at least for races, because it's more stable. I'm thinking that the reason I ran that good time with the RX-Vision was because I watched a leader's replay, and it reminded me of how to drive the track, then I went out and did it. But I haven't been within a half second of it since. The hairpin on the back before the long straight into the esses is kicking my butt. I got it right once, but can't seem to do it again.

The funny thing about any of these good lap times is that most of the time, I have no real idea how I got them. I always feel like, when I watch videos of the really good drivers, like @Tidgney, they know exactly what to do, where to do it, and how to do it, and if they miss it a little, they know just what went wrong. That's not me. I'm more like someone playing basketball in the dark. I happen to make a basket, then try to repeat whatever I did because it seemed to work, with no real idea of how I did it in the first place!

But having fun is the name of the game. I just ran a race where I started P2, and didn't feel like I could keep that position. But I did for most of the race, until I totally ****ed up that hairpin and gave up a position. The next time on the hairpin I hit someone so I waited for him, and I dropped to 4th. He lost it on the last lap, and I ended up 3rd. I'll take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the RX-Vision but could not get on with it. Switched back to the 911 and shaved some more thousandths of my QT. I joined the next Race B and the field was mostly Cs with the odd B and SR in the S to C range. The loan Brazilian was a C again. What is it with these match ups? LOL. I started P3 but the opening turn was a bit chaotic and somehow a slight braking check caused my car to veer violently into the barrier. That and the 1.5 second penalty dropped me down to 8th from 3rd. Once I managed to extricate myself from the rabble I worked to catch up.. Ended in P5 but still a pts victory.

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 8.18.37 PM.png

If I could get a couple more like that I might get to DR B... There, now I jinxed myself. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
one of the great things about starting towards the front in Race B is it's gonna be really clean. As long as you can make T1/2 cleanly you're golden the rest of the race unless you screw up or the car behind goes on an epic drive to catch you.
I've pulled my DR/SR back up to B/B from C/D at the start of the week with basically 5-6 races starting in the top 3 and finishing in the top 3. No penalties, no smacking others, just go as fast as I can and finish well.

Still grinding for QT though, I know I can go faster.

....you don't say. Lol.

Attachments

• 20970186306158445~2.jpg
    20970186306158445~2.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 6
Back