GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,040 comments
I did a few laps of qualifying for race B, and got my QT down to a not great, but reasonable 1:31.999 and then entered a couple races in the Suzuki Swift. I like that car at Brands. Tried the TT and felt it to understeery.. have not tried any others yet.

Race 1

Q8 to DNF

I started out OK and work my way up to fifth place when I put myself out on the first corner, lap 3, getting loose and oversteering off-track. I rejoin at 13th and caught up with a complete ding bat that seemed intent on hitting everybody off the course. I had come across him earlier and missed him and now he was down to 12th and I was behind him. I tried to pass him, and he knocked me off. I called him an idiot in chat and then proceeded to try to catch up again but I go off again on turn 1 so I quit out on lap 4.

In the actual race, though I was actually encouraged by my pace even though my QT was not great.

Race 2

Q12 to P7

This was a much better race. Traded some spots and climbed some spots through overtaking and attrition upfront and kept it on track. The race it was close and actually quite fun. I enjoyed this one.

In the past I’ve tended to hate Brands Hatch, but this race was fun. I do have concerns though, as to how it will pan out through the rest of the week and I do worry that it would be bad to my DR. I’ll certainly try some more but if I start dropping into the latter half of the grid I’m gonna quit.

On a sidenote, race A is hilariously slow. I did one and that’s probably about enough.

Have not tried C yet.

Last edited:
The Suzuki is definitely my preferred ride, though the brake balance feels off in race trim and I cannot attack corners how I'd like.

Got down to a 29.8, optimum 29.5 so there's more I might find between races. Unfortunately, as ever at brands, I have great pace but make at least 1 mistake per race that ruins my race........I just cannot do 5 clean laps.

Just did my final race, strong room, I am cleanly passed so drop to p6 from p5. I get a run though, after the first right, putting me on outside for the awkward left. I feel I need to brake a smidgen late so he has an inside line, and giving me a clean exit. Nope, in doing so I catch a tiny bit of grass, around she goes and I drop 5 places.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

I did a few laps of qualifying for race B, and got my QT down to a not great, but reasonable 1:31.999 and then entered a couple races in the Suzuki Swift. I like that car at brands. Tried the TT and felt it to understeery.. have not tried any others yet.

Race 1

Q8 to DNF

I started out OK and work my way up to fifth place when I put myself out on the first corner, lap 3, getting loose and oversteering off-track. I rejoin at 13th and caught up with a complete ding bat that seemed intent on hitting everybody off the course. I had come across him earlier and missed him and now he was down to 12th and I was behind him. I tried to pass him, and he knocked me off. I called him an idiot in chat and then proceeded to try to catch up again but I go off again on turn 1 so I quit out on lap 4.

In the actual race, though I was actually encouraged by my pace even though my QT was not great.

Race 2

Q12 to P7

This was a much better race. Traded some spots and climbed some spots through overtaking and attrition upfront and kept it on track. The race it was close and actually quite fun. I enjoyed this one.

In the past I’ve tended to hate Brands Hatch, but this race was fun. I do have concerns though, as to how it will pan out through the rest of the week and I do worry that it would be bad to my DR.

I’ll certainly try some more but if I start dropping into the latter half of the grid I’m gonna quit.

On a sidenote, race A is hilariously slow. I did one and that’s probably about enough.

Have not tried C yet.
The TT understeers badly at wide open throttle. But if you keep it at about 80-90% as much as possible unless in a straight line, it behaves much better. The differential seems inclined to be locked up completely at WOT but if you ease of it just a bit. It helps to steer the car instead of fighting the steering. Give it a shot again with that in mind.

I don’t get all the hate for DTS in reverse. It’s one of my favorite tracks.

As for the weird hairpin after after the CoD, at the beginning of sector 2: break it into two parts. It actually is a complex turn that has two separate radii. Break just after the curb starts on the right, but only a bit, let the car carry as much speed as you can until the next part, then stay wide and arc it into the tighter turn there, flattening it out to get on the throttle as soon as you can, even if it’s in a higher gear, to get on top of the speed profile heading up the hill.

And at both the CoD and the downhill esses in the second sector: ease off earlier than you think, and get on the throttle earlier, even if part throttle, sooner: you get 2x the speed back that you give up in both instances. And you wear your tires less.

I’ve been running 6S/4H from top three starting positions in top split and holding onto top 5s and podiums, with this approach. Everyone else pits lap 5, I go one lap longer and by then the softs are only better for the 3.5 remaining laps when I come out on mediums. And you can defend at this track. I don’t know why so many fast guys are not qualifying… but I have appreciated the DR gains I’ve made from it all evening.

Last edited:
The Suzuki is definitely my preferred ride, though the brake balance feels off in race trim and I cannot attack corners how I'd like.

Got down to a 29.8, optimum 29.5 so there's more I might find between races. Unfortunately, as ever at brands, I have great pace but make at least 1 mistake per race that ruins my race........I just cannot do 5 clean laps.

Only two B races for me so far this evening. First one with you and @icycls and we finished 1-2-3 in the bottom half of the group. Looked like that Swift was taking you for a slippery ride when I was behind you lol.

I did one more run and started pole and did the flag to flag thing. Got away clean off the start and ran for my life. A little bit of pressure on lap three but I was able to stay focused and open the gap for the rest of the race.

Went to do the Samba next to calm my nerves.

846D3624-BCAC-4AB8-9B56-92A3F037C626.jpeg
FF6DF41A-D544-4C93-A32F-430886BB1E5C.jpeg

Been a long time since I posted on here. Hi!

Brands Hatch is one of my favourite tracks, so had a good time doing a few races tonight. First one I moved up 9 spots to 4th after it didn’t register my final lap time at the last second. Then got pole for the next race and had a great race with 2nd place almost the whole way. Unfortunately I got pushed wide at turn 4 and ended up in 4th again.

I got pit maneuvered in Race A so didn’t have momentum for the hill in lap 2. It was hilarious, but also stupid they would make this combo.

Will play some C tomorrow.

Some of you might know that racing in Gr.3 cars has my preference. Also in real life, i like to watch raceclasses like DTM, Le Mans, Porsche Cup etc. I think those classes are more enjoyable to watch then F1 (fight me!!).

I've tried to set a decent QT time for this week's Race C and I find it a difficult circuit, especially in reverse. The tight lefthander after the chicane, i just can't figure out how to take that corner. Or I brake to late and crash into the wall, or I brake to soon, or I'm somewhere in the middle of it and screw up my exit. It's been challenging so far, so I need to do some practice i guess.

Because of that, I decided to lay my eyes on Brands Hatch. Since i haven't raced Gr.4 cars, it was challenging a bit at first but I love it so far. Sadly, some people think it is the ideal circuit to play bumpercars. Just a small reminder to a nice quote from Sebastian Vettel. "If I don't avoid that, he's going straight into my car! Honestly, what are we doing? Racing or PingPong?"

Some of you might know that racing in Gr.3 cars has my preference. Also in real life, i like to watch raceclasses like DTM, Le Mans, Porsche Cup etc. I think those classes are more enjoyable to watch then F1 (fight me!!).

I've tried to set a decent QT time for this week's Race C and I find it a difficult circuit, especially in reverse. The tight lefthander after the chicane, i just can't figure out how to take that corner. Or I brake to late and crash into the wall, or I brake to soon, or I'm somewhere in the middle of it and screw up my exit. It's been challenging so far, so I need to do some practice i guess.

Because of that, I decided to lay my eyes on Brands Hatch. Since i haven't raced Gr.4 cars, it was challenging a bit at first but I love it so far. Sadly, some people think it is the ideal circuit to play bumpercars. Just a small reminder to a nice quote from Sebastian Vettel. "If I don't avoid that, he's going straight into my car! Honestly, what are we doing? Racing or PingPong?"
The tight lefthander after the chicane - try to brake about 100m mark hard on straight only and when tail braking to get good exit and catch the corner.

The lack of penalties has definitely encouraged an increased desperation to push past I think is more clear now than it was previously. Even in a 10 lap race there is no wish to drop in behind another car and create a good opportunity, it is putting the nose inside and then forcing the other driver to give way or be forced into a crash or be pushed off circuit.

It's such a high risk/reward strat though as I'll often pass these drivers again having got it wrong on another car and spinning out themselves, or they just quit.

Race C just this morning finished with 9 drivers and it was, first thing in the morning! a total crap shoot.

I'll be trying my luck at Brands Hatch this week although I do have a habit of running wide everywhere. Which is exactly what I do for a few laps until I find a rhythm. I eventually set a time of 1:30.5XX in the Mustang. Once I figure out how to take the Hawthorne Bend better I expect a few more tenths off of my time. I'm bleeding so much time there which is odd as I'm usually quick through that turn. I did try the TT and I was a second slower in it. Granted, I didn't do that many laps with it, but I was way slower in it. So, I'll be in the Mustang all week and hopefully I can keep the car on track for the races.
I will give the Mustang a try. Got down to a 31.3 in the TT and Megane with optimum in the mid 30s, but can't use them for the race. Trouble as ever with Paddock and Surtees, but also the Westfield/Dingle Dell sequence which is usually my strong point there.

Did a race with the SLS, it was ok, easy to keep on track but just too slow. A bit concerning as AMG is my current pick for the next GTWS.

I hate to think I might be burning out on this game, especially after spending so much money on the cockpit, wheel and pedals, but it's not looking good.
I’m in the exact same place. Lots of money sunk into this, and that’s adding to my frustration as I’m feeling abandoned by PD and their apparent lack of desire to make this game interesting. Or even playable . . .
Check out or host a lobby race. Or a semi casual league. That’s what I do when I want to race but the daily’s are not interesting or unplayable. 🍻
I think maybe this is the way to go. @GrumpyOldMan we should set up a lobby for GTP racers like the Friday night group does. Less stress and we’d have control over what happens.
I don’t know why so many fast guys are not qualifying… but I have appreciated the DR gains I’ve made from it all evening.
I got that yesterday as well. Half the lobby was A+ and none of them qualified. It looked as if they knew people like me would get crashed out and they’d be able to advance with no effort on their parts! That may be the most meta strategy in the dailies now!
And at both the CoD and the downhill esses in the second sector: ease off earlier than you think, and get on the throttle earlier, even if part throttle, sooner: you get 2x the speed back that you give up in both instances. And you wear your tires less.
Quick question about the chicken of death: are you braking before entering in the race? I can hit it with no brakes in quali, but the weight of the fuel made it really difficult in an actual race. Momentum carries me into the wall so I’ve been tapping the brakes, but I’m losing speed and getting rear ended by either better (maybe?) or less cautious (probably!) drivers. Advice would help here.
it didn’t register my final lap time at the last second.
That happened to me last week. I got a best lap a few seconds before the race started, but it didn’t register until the following race!
The lack of penalties has definitely encouraged an increased desperation to push past I think is more clear now than it was previously. Even in a 10 lap race there is no wish to drop in behind another car and create a good opportunity, it is putting the nose inside and then forcing the other driver to give way or be forced into a crash or be pushed off circuit.

It's such a high risk/reward strat though as I'll often pass these drivers again having got it wrong on another car and spinning out themselves, or they just quit.

Race C just this morning finished with 9 drivers and it was, first thing in the morning! a total crap shoot.
This series of things you describe is exactly what got me last night. I was getting in tight groups and nobody wanted to back out. I was trying to get past them so I could continue on but they immediately get angry for getting passed and punt me or run me off. If I back out, then I lose places that I’ll never get back. This happened at Deep Forest even more. It’s frustrating because it doesn’t feel like racing, more like, as you say, a risk/reward coin flip.

I think maybe this is the way to go. @GrumpyOldMan we should set up a lobby for GTP racers like the Friday night group does. Less stress and we’d have control over what happens.
I tried some lobby racing. Hosting and joining. But it looks like there is way more lag in a lobby then there is on a Daily Race, which hasn't any lag in my experience. Don't know why that is, but the fact that there is lag in open lobby racing keeps me of doing it.

Hey folks, has something changed with the GR4 BOP or something?
They feel quite different to me this week, Brands Hatch race is understeer city.
Even the with the 4WD GR4's I don't feel as confident.

It all has to do with people mentality i mean, ACC its a SIM and only have One oficial daily Race running and its the same...

Did a video of the first Race In daily C 10m pratice did no qualy, forgot to change tyres to mediums before the Race start so mistake done.
Didnt Rush and avoiding incidents, also on PSVR2 its harder to have awareness when driving close and also the lack of Delta info. Its possible to Race clean at the cost of Pace/positions, at pit exit almost collected guys in front cause in mid pack and at this rank people have diferent Pace/speed.

Last edited:
Quick question about the chicane of death: are you braking before entering in the race? I can hit it with no brakes in quali, but the weight of the fuel made it really difficult in an actual race. Momentum carries me into the wall so I’ve been tapping the brakes, but I’m losing speed and getting rear ended by either better (maybe?) or less cautious (probably!) drivers. Advice would help here.
Absolutely not! No braking into the chicane or you'll get run over. Just breathe it before the entry curb on the right starts, then take the left curb with at least some throttle on the car to keep it settled over the bumps, steer to the right while the car is bouncing over that left side curb, so that it catches as it lands again... you are aiming to hit the corner of the wall on the right but the car will be sliding/bouncing so you will not hit that one, and as all this happens, you add throttle, depending on how confident you are that you won't slide into the outside wall on the left, as much as 100%... if you think you're going to broadside it, then either shift down for more drive torque to correct that, or ease off for just a split second (the first one is faster!).

If you need any space to have the confidence to do that in the race, in front of or behind you, then make it before you get to that entry curb on the right side. If you make a correction later than that with someone on your rear bumper, you're going to cause a chain effect.

And for god's sake, if someone is stubborn enough to be side by side on the way in, back out and let them through, because no way you're both making it out alive. May as well live to survive the other 9 times through and finish ahead of where you'd be if you smashed the wall.

And I know I'm in the minority but I don't understand why everyone thinks you have to start on M's in the race... pulling out a gap that you can protect the second half of the race, by avoiding all that trouble in the first 5 laps makes more sense to me. The fuel burn isn't high enough that your pace is so much faster, or that it facilitates more laps on the S's in the second stint. By protecting my rear tires a bit in the RSR, I am able to start on S's and get 6 laps out of them, even if I'm racing for positions in the top 5 for the first stint.
Didnt Rush and avoiding incidents, also on PSVR2 its harder to have awareness when driving close and also the lack of Delta info. Its possible to Race clean at the cost of Pace/positions, at pit exit almost collected guys in front cause in mid pack and at this rank people have diferent Pace/speed.
This is really a profound competitive issue... that delta info and the lack of artificial signals (blackout edges when someone is near, red dot blind spot notification) make it really hard to know where people are when you are driving in VR. The radar is not in the line of sight well enough to use in close quarters either.

I'd also like to be able to see the leaderboard because you can't tell what tires people are swapping to or who the drivers are in front of you, so there is no way to race with that situational input to help you 'race the scenario' you are in.

These are part of the reason I am not racing in VR yet, only playing with it off-line most times. I do some on my alt but when I am competing I'm not ready to commit to it yet. It's not fair enough compared to the 2D info that is provided.

Last edited:
Absolutely not! No braking into the chicane or you'll get run over. Just breathe it before the entry curb on the right starts, then take the left curb with at least some throttle on the car to keep it settled over the bumps, steer to the right while the car is bouncing over that left side curb, so that it catches as it lands again... you are aiming to hit the corner of the wall on the right but the car will be sliding/bouncing so you will not hit that one, and as all this happens, you add throttle, depending on how confident you are that you won't slide into the outside wall on the left, as much as 100%... if you think you're going to broadside it, then either shift down for more drive torque to correct that, or ease off for just a split second (the first one is faster!).

If you need any space to have the confidence to do that in the race, in front of or behind you, then make it before you get to that entry curb on the right side. If you make a correction later than that with someone on your rear bumper, you're going to cause a chain effect.

And for god's sake, if someone is stubborn enough to be side by side on the way in, back out and let them through, because no way you're both making it out alive. May as well live to survive the other 9 times through and finish ahead of where you'd be if you smashed the wall.
I’m watching races on YT (I just saw you in GroveStreet’s stream last night) and it looks like he’s braking a little bit before the series of things you describe. So just before getting to the first marker in the right he’s already used the brake a bit. I think Tidgney was doing something similar.

I know I can do this with just a lift off in qualification, but I just can’t seem to pull it off in a race. It’s partly nerves because the penalties are harsh. Why, oh why, does a 1.5 second penalty actually play out as a 3 second penalty?! Make up your mind, PD! After a few of those now I’ve lost the nerve to attack the chicane. Without that, I feel like I may as well just pack in in for this week.

I’m watching races on YT (I just saw you in GroveStreet’s stream last night) and it looks like he’s braking a little bit before the series of things you describe. So just before getting to the first marker in the right he’s already used the brake a bit. I think Tidgney was doing something similar.

I know I can do this with just a lift off in qualification, but I just can’t seem to pull it off in a race. It’s partly nerves because the penalties are harsh. Why, oh why, does a 1.5 second penalty actually play out as a 3 second penalty?! Make up your mind, PD! After a few of those now I’ve lost the nerve to attack the chicane. Without that, I feel like I may as well just pack in in for this week.
...maybe I 'think' I'm not braking but perhaps my left foot is defying what I think my approach is, in reality. I'll have to check my telemetry! I will say that if anyone's braking they are likely overlapping with throttle anyway, so that it's as much to keep the rear end settled over the curbs as it is to slow the car.

...ok: I'm a liar! I just watched a replay. Turns out I AM applying the brakes in the CoD... but just ever so slightly to keep the rear settled, not to slow the car. This is the typical amount of braking, unless I was following someone that I knew was taking it slower than I was:

IMG_0841.JPG

It's almost more of a psychological reflex, or to pre-load the braking if I knew I'd need to correct the car through the bumps. I'm not trying to slow the car at all.

The first three laps of this race I was stuck behind a guy who WAS braking to get through there, and it slowed us both up a lot, and he also hit the wall in front of me, messing up my race.

Hit it with confidence!

Last edited:

-click Gran Turismo 7
-click sport tracker
-follow instructions

you will need an account with them
Ok, the table below got me off track

-click Gran Turismo 7
-click sport tracker
-follow instructions

you will need an account with them
If I'm getting it right in order to have it showing the +- of each single race you should take the picture every singe race, isn't it?

I tried some lobby racing. Hosting and joining. But it looks like there is way more lag in a lobby then there is on a Daily Race, which hasn't any lag in my experience. Don't know why that is, but the fact that there is lag in open lobby racing keeps me of doing it.
I must have done maybe 600 lobby races and about the same amount of practice sessions.
There is lag in lobbies but mostly when people are connecting, the whole game stumbles a little when people join.
But once the race is on its negligible, sometimes there's one guy lagging but rarely to the point where it affects the racing.
And we run league races with people from literally all over the world. From Europe, from Asia, from Australia and New Zealand.

I must have done maybe 600 lobby races and about the same amount of practice sessions.
There is lag in lobbies but mostly when people are connecting, the whole game stumbles a little when people join.
But once the race is on its negligible, sometimes there's one guy lagging but rarely to the point where it affects the racing.
And we run league races with people from literally all over the world. From Europe, from Asia, from Australia and New Zealand.
And hopefully my connection issues are now gone for good and I can join one or another of these lobbies...

And hopefully my connection issues are now gone for good and I can join one or another of these lobbies...
Cool! I would love to join a GTPlanet lobby. I see that many of us organize races for GTPlanet users, but most of them are located in the US, or Northern America in general, so the times are really not working for me. But in any other case, I would love to join.

Only two B races for me so far this evening. First one with you and @icycls and we finished 1-2-3 in the bottom half of the group. Looked like that Swift was taking you for a slippery ride when I was behind you lol.

I did one more run and started pole and did the flag to flag thing. Got away clean off the start and ran for my life. A little bit of pressure on lap three but I was able to stay focused and open the gap for the rest of the race.
Was that my one race in the TT? I haven't got the patience for that car, so much understeer, found the swift more to my liking but itis easily shoved out of the way.
I can't use the lobbies, the lag is unbelievably bad. I join every so often if the weekly races don't appeal but it's just a rubbish experience.

Some of you guys feeling burnt out, it's probably a mix of the terrible penalty system and maybe you're just playing too much. I play 4 nights per week and have been a constant here for nearly 4 years now. I did want to throw my controller at the tv last week though, my first 4 or 5 races at spa were a debacle, constantly being rammed off and being penalised for it as well as incurring damage as well as more penalties for hitting the guard rail. This is a huge issue actually, you get pushed off, somehow you get the penalty (1 sec), time to get back on track (5 sec), guardrail penalty (2 seconds) and damage (5 seconds). So one nudge and you're dropped to last.

Cool! I would love to join a GTPlanet lobby. I see that many of us organize races for GTPlanet users, but most of them are located in the US, or Northern America in general, so the times are really not working for me. But in any other case, I would love to join.
Yes, there's a great series going on, DRWF (if I remember correctly), but sadly at nighttime here in Europe...

I'll try anything, but I won't organize anything myself - things like that just stress me out. IIRC, mixing PS4s and PS5s in lobbies is either not possible or not advised, so that may be an issue. I'm on a PS5.

So, what the heck is going on with Daily Race C this week?

1. Couldn't get off the damned wall in the death chicane and ended up with 4.5sec penalty
2. Got brake checked.. bumped car in front (no harm done) and got 2.0sec penalty

If that wasn't bad enough, I went on to the grass coming out of the last corner at the last chicane and the car suddenly launched into the air, hit the barrier... and another 1.5sec penalty.

Sometimes I really despair with this game. So many things just do not make sense, at all. And that just takes all the enjoyment out of playing, PD!

Last edited:
Hey folks, has something changed with the GR4 BOP or something?
They feel quite different to me this week, Brands Hatch race is understeer city.
Even the with the 4WD GR4's I don't feel as confident.
yea BOP was changed in GR.4. The 4WD cars are no longer the meta every time. Now it's the TT! (and other FWD cars but mostly the TT)

Back