GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 34,710 comments
Finally made it to the big leagues.

IMG_3647.jpeg

Now I gotta go set a decent qually. I think I have the Slophy maxed out at a 1:29

Fears somewhat allayed about Race A...

18aa932a07a53-screenshotUrl.jpg

Ok, it's not a win but a very entertaining race. Well it was a fun race once the first chicane was over and done with... There's quite literally no way to protect yourself front rear endings at pole position. In this instance I clenched my teeth and hoped some ghosting would save me. It didn't.
What are you meant to do? Drive straight on and cut out the middle man, if you're gonna get a track reset anyway?

Saying that, I'm pretty happy with the forgiving ghosting in this race in general, and it allows some good racing. Once I was free to drive and started catching up to P2 (from whom I stole the fastest lap), with a few solid moves in between.

Those soft sports tyres really bring this event into high tier territory. Racing a Diablo around Monza is Gran Turismo summed up, IMO.

My fears were confirmed, however, and I'll have to bounce onto Race A and have some very careful Race C or B in between. My SR went to A after two races in the Lambo.

The one thing I find really cool with tuning, is how much different the cars feel via the FFB. Per people’s recommendations, I maxed out everything on the Trophy for the race, and instantly the FFB felt much sharper.

While I do like Brands Hatch, I always seem to run wide at the most inconvenient times during the race. So, I'll do some racing at Lago Maggiore as I haven't been there in a long time. Despite some early struggles, I got my time down to a 1:57.6xx. The optimal time says I have a 1:57.1XX in me and I know where to gain it. I just need to figure out my lines better and it should come eventually. I'm in the 911 RSR as I'm the most comfortable with how it handles.

Ah! I spoke about this just a few days ago and requested DR off / SR on (post). :D

Even if you find yourself in a race with a pair of clowns they are the ones who (unless they have a decent technique) will suffer and get pushed down to the awful lobbies. The penalty system gets talked about a lot (in a negative way) but more often than not I find that it reads situations correctly. I can be on the receiving end of a hard punt, get crashed into and bounce of the wall, be off-track and yet keep the clean race bonus. Because the penalty system read the situation correctly and understood that I wasn’t off by myself but rather as a consequence of being pushed off. Now the matter of the aggressor perhaps receiving a too weak penalty is a different matter. Your SR will be 100% intact in situations like this.
That was a good read, thank you.

So I'm a Daily Race A enthusiast and I have only done these for the last few months. I don't like Gr4/3/etc racing, I find it boring and repetitive. Obviously, having DR/SR updates in Daily Race A would be ideal, but it seems like it's not going to happen. Weird for a game where the large majority of cars are road cars, and its maker don't seem to consider that it is proper racing. When I see some streamers jump on a Daily Race A without any practice, run wide on almost every corner, complain about the car, and not put any effort trying to adjust to it, oh, well. But I digress.

Obviously, less people do Daily Race A. But there is a small amount of players who are genuinely interested in it. I play on the Asia/Oceania servers. It's not uncommon to have 5-6 drivers who do a lot of practice and take it seriously. It feels like a private lobby sometimes and it gives really nice races. If you like the Daily Race A combo, do it. Make friends with people who had a nice race with you.

Fears somewhat allayed about Race A...

View attachment 1288174

Ok, it's not a win but a very entertaining race. Well it was a fun race once the first chicane was over and done with... There's quite literally no way to protect yourself front rear endings at pole position. In this instance I clenched my teeth and hoped some ghosting would save me. It didn't.
What are you meant to do? Drive straight on and cut out the middle man, if you're gonna get a track reset anyway?

Saying that, I'm pretty happy with the forgiving ghosting in this race in general, and it allows some good racing. Once I was free to drive and started catching up to P2 (from whom I stole the fastest lap), with a few solid moves in between.

Those soft sports tyres really bring this event into high tier territory. Racing a Diablo around Monza is Gran Turismo summed up, IMO.

My fears were confirmed, however, and I'll have to bounce onto Race A and have some very careful Race C or B in between. My SR went to A after two races in the Lambo.
Mondays are usually tough at Monza. People seem to learn breaking points later than usual. I'm also wondering if starting from the back is better on this track. Considering the chaos at T1, you won't lose too much time and you might gain a few positions anyway.

The one thing I find really cool with tuning, is how much different the cars feel via the FFB. Per people’s recommendations, I maxed out everything on the Trophy for the race, and instantly the FFB felt much sharper.

Another thing I like when there is tuning available is the variety of cars you can see. I saw 7 different models in the top 7 qualifying order in a lobby this afternoon.

I did two race A’s. Hilarious, but absolute carnage. Even with my best attempt at avoiding others in the races I dropped my SR to an A. That’s enough. Onto the other races now.

Considering the chaos at T1, you won't lose too much time and you might gain a few positions anyway.

This was exactly my experience in my second (evening) session today. Still on pole and just braking, hoping for the best. If you usually get sent back onto the track via reset and then continue to chase the pack from there, it's no different from starting at the back, I suppose. Actually, in my first race tonight one of the back markers with no quali time ended up finished P2. They got it into P1 for the first lap!

I did have another idea for Race A whilst playing... I think it would be kinda cool (if they are going to persist with DR SR OFF) to rotate the track but keep the same car throughout the week. There's so many road cars, and not much opportunity to try them out competitively. So why not let us have a little "GT7 Tour" with them each week?

While I do like Brands Hatch, I always seem to run wide at the most inconvenient times during the race. So, I'll do some racing at Lago Maggiore as I haven't been there in a long time. Despite some early struggles, I got my time down to a 1:57.6xx. The optimal time says I have a 1:57.1XX in me and I know where to gain it. I just need to figure out my lines better and it should come eventually. I'm in the 911 RSR as I'm the most comfortable with how it handles.
I love this track.

I was running through a bunch of different rides @ LM. Started w/the 911 because, well, 911. Tried the 'Benz, Mustang, F-Type, R8 and THEN realized we can tune.
groovy.gif

Went back to the 911, made some suspension changes and found a BUNCH of traction. I was able to shave a substantial amount of time off my initial pass. Some of that was just running additional laps but a good portion of was the tuning. I only got to run a dozen laps, unfortunately. I started at 1:58.xxx in the 911. When I came back to it, and after several laps, was down to 1:57.0xx. Now I can really stand on it coming outta Banky and not worry about losing the back of the car. 👍

Have fun out there!:cheers:

I love this track.

I was running through a bunch of different rides @ LM. Started w/the 911 because, well, 911. Tried the 'Benz, Mustang, F-Type, R8 and THEN realized we can tune.
View attachment 1288261
Went back to the 911, made some suspension changes and found a BUNCH of traction. I was able to shave a substantial amount of time off my initial pass. Some of that was just running additional laps but a good portion of was the tuning. I only got to run a dozen laps, unfortunately. I started at 1:58.xxx in the 911. When I came back to it, and after several laps, was down to 1:57.0xx. Now I can really stand on it coming outta Banky and not worry about losing the back of the car. 👍

Have fun out there!:cheers:

Care to share your tunes? I chose Porsche as my manu, and am still trying to figure out this whole tuning thing

Care to share your tunes? I chose Porsche as my manu, and am still trying to figure out this whole tuning thing
Not at all but be forewarned...I have no idea what I'm doing. BUT, I'll own it if only to figure out how to do it right. :cheers:

So far I've only messed with rebound: F24 / R22

Brake I run at -1 and ABS=Default. Everything else is off. The rebound change alone seemed to plant the back of the car for me. I was able to get out of the trickier turns with minimal wheelspin. Plus, if I do cook the rears coming out of a turn, it's much more stable to manage.

My thought is, these particular suspension changes are all within a useable range. While you can screw it up, you'd almost have to try to make the car truly undriveable. Could be wrong, though.😁

EDIT: With regard to assist settings, I'm on a controller so there's ALWAYS some level of counter-steer assist. 👍

Last edited:
I think I’ve got DR A guilt. Trying B and C QTs tonight and I can’t even post a time worthy of BR B.

Take a few days off and I’ve forgot how to drive. More likely the last two week combos were the Goldilocks combos for me.

This week I’m in for a rude awakening!

Nah. You’ll get it figured out but maybe take a little more time than one evening lol.

Lots of places to cut time on this track if you can keep up speed and figure out just the right gears to pull that next stretch.
I started feeling like I had to figure out a tune but after fussing with the 911 for a while I went back to stock and cut some time.
Driving everything as stock suspension for now.

Supra is actually fairly easy to drive on this layout too.
Haven’t tried the Huracan yet but maybe for fun.
RCZ had been a mainstay for me but I can’t get it to work yet. Have a friend on my board still a second faster than my best using it so don’t get too stuck on a certain car while learning the track and RM we have for a change.

Don’t forget to have fun 😁

Nah. You’ll get it figured out but maybe take a little more time than one evening lol.

Lots of places to cut time on this track if you can keep up speed and figure out just the right gears to pull that next stretch.
I started feeling like I had to figure out a tune but after fussing with the 911 for a while I went back to stock and cut some time.
Driving everything as stock suspension for now.

Supra is actually fairly easy to drive on this layout too.
Haven’t tried the Huracan yet but maybe for fun.
RCZ had been a mainstay for me but I can’t get it to work yet. Have a friend on my board still a second faster than my best using it so don’t get too stuck on a certain car while learning the track and RM we have for a change.

Don’t forget to have fun 😁

Thanks for the encouragement.

I’ve only got to 1:58..678 in the M6 with a tune (but not a good one). The Gen-X is close and I just started playing with the RCZ and I’m under a tenth off as stock.

So far:
911 - need to come back to that as I drove it having not learned the track.
BRZ - nope
Gen-X - I loved this car last week on the spots but can’t get it to feel right so far this week. Still one of my quickest but it’s nervous.
Huracan - I can’t get on with this at all on this track. Weird as I’ve had good runs in the opposite direction before.
Ford GT - nope.
4C - lovely handling but slow.
M6 - my current fastest

Still got to try some others. At this rate I won’t actually be ready to race until Wednesday…

Last edited:
That was a good read, thank you.

So I'm a Daily Race A enthusiast and I have only done these for the last few months. I don't like Gr4/3/etc racing, I find it boring and repetitive. Obviously, having DR/SR updates in Daily Race A would be ideal, but it seems like it's not going to happen. Weird for a game where the large majority of cars are road cars, and its maker don't seem to consider that it is proper racing. When I see some streamers jump on a Daily Race A without any practice, run wide on almost every corner, complain about the car, and not put any effort trying to adjust to it, oh, well. But I digress.

Obviously, less people do Daily Race A. But there is a small amount of players who are genuinely interested in it. I play on the Asia/Oceania servers. It's not uncommon to have 5-6 drivers who do a lot of practice and take it seriously. It feels like a private lobby sometimes and it gives really nice races. If you like the Daily Race A combo, do it. Make friends with people who had a nice race with you.
Lol I race agaisnt you all the time! race A really needs to add DR SR. This weeks monza starting pole or top 5 is like a death trap havent been able to make it out of T1 a single race.

Lol I race agaisnt you all the time! race A really needs to add DR SR. This weeks monza starting pole or top 5 is like a death trap havent been able to make it out of T1 a single race.
So nice to see you here! That's exactly what I'm talking about. When you have great racing with great people, they want to come back for more! And I'm always happy to see familiar and friendly faces in Daily Race A :cheers:

I've done only one race at Monza yesterday evening but I'll try to join again today :)

Last edited:
While I do like Brands Hatch, I always seem to run wide at the most inconvenient times during the race.
Give the Alfa a go (the 4C, not the 155). It corners like it’s on rails, very hard to mess up. I had more issues avoiding track limits for turning too sharply and cutting.

Think I’m finally getting the hang of Lago Magiorre.

Got my QT down to a 1:51.1 with the RCZ. This car is sensitive to tuning. A change of 1 value in the dampers can be the difference between a stable car and a car that slides out in turns.
Wow, a 1:51.1? Is that a typo? That's a good 6 seconds better than what I could ever dream of doing!

On a side note, has the penailty system changed or is it the same as always?

On my first race at Lago I got a 2 second penalty for hitting the back of someone. I though it was pretty harsh, but I guess I did run into the back of them:

However, later on that same race, this dirty mofo sent me flying, with no penalty

I'm hoping FMs penalty system is better than this as this is why I don't race online a lot. There should at least be an option to blacklist drivers so you aren't matched up with them anymore. Everyone in this race had an S safety rating!

I woke up earlier than I should this morning to get in some racing before work. I got back into A and I think I should be able to make it stick for this week at least. 5 races, 2 podiums, one other top 5, and two mediocre finishes where I spun on my own trying to push a bit too much.

Early morning Americas has a wide variety of DR involvement, A+ to C in the same lobbies at times.

I woke up earlier than I should this morning to get in some racing before work. I got back into A and I think I should be able to make it stick for this week at least. 5 races, 2 podiums, one other top 5, and two mediocre finishes where I spun on my own trying to push a bit too much.

Early morning Americas has a wide variety of DR involvement, A+ to C in the same lobbies at times.
I might have to give the morning a try. I'm not driving people around in the morning any longer (recent change), which is awesome. What's NOT awesome is the fact that I'm still waking-up at the same time. That gives me two hours before I have to commute from my couch to my office chair. Cool thing is, it's only 20' away and the traffic is usually tolerable.

Made a HUGE mistake last week and did nothing but qualify at Sardegna until Friday. That meant that I had NO CLUE what the track was like off of the one line I was honed in on. Ran two races Friday, DFL'd both and turned the console off. Was scared Saturday...broke into a cold sweat when I touched the controller. Decided to wait until Sunday. Sunday was a bit better but much of the same with one exception where I ended P5. At one point my main goal was to not get lapped...yeah, that's not how you want to spend 20 laps. 🤣

Hopefully this week goes a bit better. I'm thinking the morning slot might be a good, low-ish key confidence booster.:cheers:

Made a HUGE mistake last week and did nothing but qualify at Sardegna until Friday. That meant that I had NO CLUE what the track was like off of the one line I was honed in on.
I do about 5 practice/qualifier laps and then just do the races. Best way to learn the lines is with others on track.

Of course this does mean I'm starting near the back most of the time but that's the fun place to be. Yesterday's race C I started 2nd, didn't get to pass anyone before the leader pitted and then was on my own for 6 laps. A bit boring (and yet still stressful).

I do about 5 practice/qualifier laps and then just do the races. Best way to learn the lines is with others on track.

Of course this does mean I'm starting near the back most of the time but that's the fun place to be. Yesterday's race C I started 2nd, didn't get to pass anyone before the leader pitted and then was on my own for 6 laps. A bit boring (and yet still stressful).
That is solid advice and the better approach. Absolutely no way to know how to drive parts of the track until you're forced onto them by others in a race scenario. I just got a little overly focused on my friends list and trying to climb up the ranks. 😁

The races from a couple weeks back worked out kinda odd for me, speaking of driving around solo. I somehow managed to be the lone rider between wolf-packs in at least half a dozen races. Usually sitting P5 - 8 just cruisin' around the track with 16 other drivers, yet still alone...sucks. I mean, at least you're gaining Dr and Sr is safe but it's just boring. Racing + Boring does not compute.:cheers:

Ral
On a side note, has the penailty system changed or is it the same as always?

On my first race at Lago I got a 2 second penalty for hitting the back of someone. I though it was pretty harsh, but I guess I did run into the back of them:

However, later on that same race, this dirty mofo sent me flying, with no penalty

I'm hoping FMs penalty system is better than this as this is why I don't race online a lot. There should at least be an option to blacklist drivers so you aren't matched up with them anymore. Everyone in this race had an S safety rating!

The first is an obvious punt and that penalty is variable depending on the degree of impact. I've seen it anywhere from 1.5 to 3 or even 5 seconds before. The second one the system has a hard time with. Side impacts like those are often not penalized so the pit maneuver is a classic way to get rid of an opponent for those that can nudge "just enough". I think the issue here is that a lot of the times, the issue can often be the car in front moving across the path of the car behind and even though the car in front loses out, the system deems it not the fault of the car behind so will not penalize them. Of course the car behind can use that to their advantage.

I might have to give the morning a try. I'm not driving people around in the morning any longer (recent change), which is awesome. What's NOT awesome is the fact that I'm still waking-up at the same time. That gives me two hours before I have to commute from my couch to my office chair. Cool thing is, it's only 20' away and the traffic is usually tolerable.
I like those commutes. Mine is get out of bed, walk downstairs to the kitchen to get my cup of tea and walk back up stairs to my office. Darn, mine is long compared to yours! :D

Made a HUGE mistake last week and did nothing but qualify at Sardegna until Friday.
I just got a little overly focused on my friends list and trying to climb up the ranks. 😁
I think it is easy to fall into this trap that some of us turn the daily race into a time trial. Certainly last night I was focused on trying to get a decent QT as, to my mind, if my QT is competitive against the friends list then I may be competitive in the race. Last night it took me four hours to reach that point...

Last edited:
I've switched to the R8 as of this morning. On my second lap in qualifying with it with only having adjusted my dampers to what I was running on the Huracan, I was able to get within 0.009 seconds of my qualifying time. I'm hoping that I'm able to touch 1:55.xxx by the end of the week.

I find the R8 is less slidey in my hands than the Huracan.

Back