GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 34,710 comments
I started the evening late and started to warm up for C trying to get into the 47s. I’d also cracked open a beer…

Many a lap would end in the chicane after the tunnel like this pointing the wrong way.

IMG_7561.jpeg

This became a drinking game… each time I wiped out I’d take another swig.

Here’s another. I was on for a lap in the 47s when this happened.

IMG_7562.jpeg

Needless to say for a while I got worse :D

Then the beer started to wear off and I tweaked my set up and changed how I tackle some key sections and the time started to drop. But it teased me.

First 1:48.088, then 1:48.007…. So close. I was about ready to give up but couldn’t that close.

I started to consistently get clean laps in the 48.1s or in the 47s only to spin out.

But it was in me.
IMG_7563.jpeg

Then it happened. Got into the 47s.

IMG_7564.jpeg

My next lap was going even quicker until I crashed…. At that point I gave up (after 2 hours qualifying).

With that I thought I should try a race, even though it was now 11:30pm.

Holy smokes! Talk about a split lobby. 7 A+ and 7A with me in 7th QT.
IMG_7565.jpeg

Racing is so very different from QTing.

I started okay and was holding my own in 7th when I failed to allow for fuel weight in the braking and weight shift in the first tunnel and messed it up and slipped down to 13th. :banghead:

I decided to pit lap 4 and charged on. Last lap I was comfortably in 10th, not great but should be a points wash with this crowd. Mid lap in the twisties, to my surprise, I over rotate on worn tires and put the car in the barrier.

I finish last car running, 13th. Double :banghead::banghead:

So I guess I can QT but I’m a total idiot when it comes to racing. I wanted a spot of redemption but it got too late…

Overall I still love Gr.3 at GVH1.

Last edited:
Have to say, after seeing that the Mazda 3 is the meta for Race B (and frankly, only car) was not expecting this week to be fun... However, it is growing on me!

Once I figured out the understeer control, I got going and didn't take long to break into into the 1:56's :) And I think I found 2 corners where I can gain around 0.4s so will try that soon.

Did 3 races on B account:

• Race 1 (1:57:7 qualy) Started in 14 and finished in P10
  • Race 2 (1:57:1 qualy) Started in P4 and got a podium (miracle) as the savage nature of drivers almost killed me a couple of times!
  • Race 3 (same qualy time) started in P8 and finished in P5 after losing P4 to a dirty overtake (ram me out of the track) and he went unpunished! But at least was comfortably ahead of the rest of the field and held the top 5.
Below is the podium replay - off to try and make up more time :)

EDIT

I did go faster, but ran out of time haha as wife is here and dinner is ready :P

View attachment 1307023

Fine drive sir. I thought you could have covered the inside on some of the attacks more but you got a podium so what do I know

@Tidgney - If you ever get a chance, ask someone who might know the answer to this: Why have they take the best track, BY FAR, out of Sport rotation? I mean Nürburgring Nordschleife, of course. They had this track once, back in July of 2022, and it was one of the first weeks I started racing Sport mode. I thought "man, it doesn't get any better than this." And that was true - in fact, it hasn't come close.

Instead, we get disasters like Monza at least 7 times.

Might not be best to ask @Tidgney that as he's not a fan of racing at that track. But the variation of tracks and events do need to be questioned.

Hahaha, ye I would disagree that it's the best track, however I do agree there needs to be some questions around track selection. It's like Tokyo has been wiped off the map, and I suspect that is due to wall riding? At least that's my guess. I'll certainly ask after the finals (It'll get lost if I ask now) around tracks and combinations.

Massive +1 for more Nordschleife. We've had it once while I've been playing sport mode, the week before the Monaco grand prix because I was only around or two days that week before heading off on holiday to Nice, handily just down the road from Monaco ;). And I spent every spare minute binging it for those two days.

My top choice for a race D would be one that isn't fixed for the week. Instead every hour it throws together a unique event conjured up to use a choice from a classic track. Nordschleife, Le Mans, Spa, etc. A decent formula, GT1, GT2, Super Formula, or a classic historic car choice or selection. Then random fuel and tyre multipliers, random weather of course.

Basic track and car details would be known well in advance so you can plan to race when you're favourite mix is going to be running. But exact details of tyre & fuel multilpliers, plus weather would be unknown until the race is about to start. So no pre-planning stratagies, you need to wing it on the fly during the race.

GT Sport had a Suzuki Swift race daily around Nordschleife, which I remember was great fun. It does not necessarily need to be the default Gr3 / 4.

I think one of the main issues for more races in Sport is just the volume of players isn't consistently online to fill the lobbies.

You can sometimes get a sense of this with how the matchmaking loosens giving lobbies with huge ability spreads. Any additional race slots will dilute that even further.

I do think there is space for "weekend" specials though we an additional Daily D hopper could be used.

I think one of the main issues for more races in Sport is just the volume of players isn't consistently online to fill the lobbies.
I understand it is a limiting issue, but personally I think people worry about it too much. I'm not that bothered if I'm in a race and the top 5 are A+ drivers well out of reach, and the bottom five C/D's who won't be near me if I have a clean race. You'll still normally find a driver or two to fight with at your level.

@Tidgney - If you ever get a chance, ask someone who might know the answer to this: Why have they take the best track, BY FAR, out of Sport rotation? I mean Nürburgring Nordschleife, of course. They had this track once, back in July of 2022, and it was one of the first weeks I started racing Sport mode. I thought "man, it doesn't get any better than this." And that was true - in fact, it hasn't come close.

Instead, we get disasters like Monza at least 7 times.
I would agree. Nord is amazing. In fairness, we did have N24 (Nord+full GP track) back in late May of 23, we had Nord Endurance layout as part of the GTWS in mid-Jun, and then N24 again in GTWS in October. So, it has been used. But, to your point, if you're looking for just Nord (with no GP layout attached) it has been a while. I prefer the full N24 version.

I won't disagree that it's not the best track for racing/passing, but you can say that about probably the majority of tracks out there... with some solid defensive driving it's almost impossible to pass someone. You can pass people at Nord, of course, but that track is not only racing other drivers but a track of attrition, and that counts as racing IMO (similar to endurance racing I suppose).

That being said, I'd love to see it used more, especially since weather is a thing there. Nord is like Oreos... doesn't matter how many I have, I always want just one more. :lol:

4653b5689f7882c04f024234af02f1b1_photo.webp

Last edited:
I'm guessing nobody's bothering with Race A this week? Or it's just not worth discussing?

The Genesis handles superbly, considering it weighs 1,800kg. You just have to get to grips with the weight transfer, and once you do all that's left is to learn the habits of your on-track opponents and the decent 8-lap duration should mean a decent chance for racing! You have to be ultra conservative in traffic at the first corner and the twisty section that follows, otherwise you can wave your chances goodbye.

Definitely a race where you can let others murder themselves and learning to stay away from it will get you positions and hopefully some decent side-by-side action.

Hahaha, ye I would disagree that it's the best track, however I do agree there needs to be some questions around track selection. It's like Tokyo has been wiped off the map, and I suspect that is due to wall riding? At least that's my guess. I'll certainly ask after the finals (It'll get lost if I ask now) around tracks and combinations.
I remember some good Tokyo races on GT Sport - maybe with the Mazda Roadster things? Also remember wall penalties being a bugger occasionally - I got about 25 seconds once, after a spin and getting collected by another couple of cars 😂🤕

I would agree. Nord is amazing. In fairness, we did have N24 (Nord+full GP track) back in late May of 23, we had Nord Endurance layout as part of the GTWS in mid-Jun, and then N24 again in GTWS in October. So, it has been used. But, to your point, if you're looking for just Nord (with no GP layout attached) it has been a while. I prefer the full N24 version.

I won't disagree that it's not the best track for racing/passing, but you can say that about probably the majority of tracks out there... with some solid defensive driving it's almost impossible to pass someone. You can pass people at Nord, of course, but that track is not only racing other drivers but a track of attrition, and that counts as racing IMO (similar to endurance racing I suppose).

That being said, I'd love to see it used more, especially since weather is a thing there. Nord is like Oreos... doesn't matter how many I have, I always want just one more. :lol:

4653b5689f7882c04f024234af02f1b1_photo.webp
I'm with the (apparent) minority on this as well. I feel this is THE track by which all others are judged. Many will point to the inherent flaws of that (impossible to pass, viewing is limited, people die) but it's a personal taste thing. I won't even try to argue on foundational racing principles or otherwise...I'll likely lose.

BUT, I was reminded of just how awesome/exciting this place is in the recent World Finals bonus campaign. Running there going from dark to dawn is nothing short of amazing. Passing sucks, but it also sucks at Brands and a bunch of other places. It just sucks screwing up T1/2/3 at the Nord' sooooo much more since you've got 14 miles or so until you get try it again.🤣

Would love them to introduce an endurance race here. 👍

:cheers:

I'm guessing nobody's bothering with Race A this week? Or it's just not worth discussing?

The Genesis handles superbly, considering it weighs 1,800kg. You just have to get to grips with the weight transfer, and once you do all that's left is to learn the habits of your on-track opponents and the decent 8-lap duration should mean a decent chance for racing! You have to be ultra conservative in traffic at the first corner and the twisty section that follows, otherwise you can wave your chances goodbye.

Definitely a race where you can let others murder themselves and learning to stay away from it will get you positions and hopefully some decent side-by-side action.
I can't be bothered with races that have no DR upside potential (or downside as his my current luck) but all the SR risk associated.

Honestly, losing DR worries me less than SR. Once SR drops the racing quality falls off a cliff and I can do without that...

As to the discussion of Nürburgring Nordschleife. I'm not a fan of racing it. I love it for a casual drive in a sports car (my fave being the Pantara) but racing it? Nah. The issue is my monkey brain can't remember all the turns and nuances of it as it's so long. I do best with short circuit, high repetition, sprint racing but I know that is not everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited:
I'm with the (apparent) minority on this as well. I feel this is THE track by which all others are judged. Many will point to the inherent flaws of that (impossible to pass, viewing is limited, people die) but it's a personal taste thing. I won't even try to argue on foundational racing principles or otherwise...I'll likely lose.

BUT, I was reminded of just how awesome/exciting this place is in the recent World Finals bonus campaign. Running there going from dark to dawn is nothing short of amazing. Passing sucks, but it also sucks at Brands and a bunch of other places. It just sucks screwing up T1/2/3 at the Nord' sooooo much more since you've got 14 miles or so until you get try it again.🤣

Would love them to introduce an endurance race here. 👍

:cheers:
I think the thing for me is that it's a place that treads a fine line between race track and road you can race on.

Outside of rally and the race events they hold there it's arguably too long as a track. The corners weren't designed with racing in mind and after years of doing track days and it being some sort of time trial halo for manufacturers it's lost its appeal.

Everyone has their own views on these things so it's in the eye of the beholder. It's just not a fun place to actually race at. Fast, scenic, full of drama but to actually race for those precious moments a day not there for me anymore.

Is it worth changing tires in C?

The GTR finishes C with around 80% wear on left front and around 70% wear on the others with BB at +4. Overall it is quite drivable but I do notice the middle section definitely takes more work after about lap 6.

Wondering if the the loss of a few seconds (how long does changing tires add to the pit stop take?) is worth it for the extra grip security later in the race? Perhaps if I had done that I would not have crashed last lap, last night 🤷‍♂️

The GTR finishes C with around 80% wear on left front and around 70% wear on the others with BB at +4. Overall it is quite drivable but I do notice the middle section definitely takes more work after about lap 6.

Wondering if the the loss of a few seconds (how long does changing tires add to the pit stop take?) is worth it for the extra grip security later in the race? Perhaps if I had done that I would not have crashed last lap, last night 🤷‍♂️
At the higher higher ends no. It's a 3 second addition to do tires which depending on consistency and time of the lobby is a probably not worth it.

Better tires and this is fractional stuff won't make you faster trying to nip a place here or there.

They definitely aren't enough to slide through the field on. Which is a shame.

At the higher higher ends no. It's a 3 second addition to do tires which depending on consistency and time of the lobby is a probably not worth it.

Better tires and this is fractional stuff won't make you faster trying to nip a place here or there.

I'd agree with this - going to lose a few extra places initially then get stuck in more traffic and lose any advantage the tyres bring.

Agreed. I used to change tires in these types of races when my car control skills were severely lacking, because I would inevitably wreck or make significant mistakes on worn tires and lose heaps of time. As I've improved my abilities over the last 6 months or so, I've found it advantageous to push the tires further. The more car control skills are improved, and the higher the lobbies, the more beneficial it is to skip the tire change.

Well I, for one, liked it. And it beats the hell out of bloodtracks like Monza.
Have you actually raced on the Nurbs? Ok Monza has a tight first chicane that people struggle with, which is weird because you should just brake before the car infront does. Not imagine that 142 times at nurbs. Nah Monza is fine if you know how to navigate things side by side. Nurbs is unforgiving!

If you're in P1 with 6+ seconds gap, go for it. Otherwise, no. The time lost in the pits won't be made up with four laps of new tires.

I can't be bothered with races that have no DR upside potential (or downside as his my current luck) but all the SR risk associated.

Honestly, losing DR worries me less than SR. Once SR drops the racing quality falls off a cliff and I can do without that...
I don't know the value or reason of trying to convince you, but seeing as you've bothered to post a half decent quali time, I would say at least give it a few punts (pun intended).

The only time I've lost SR if after a race when I rear-ended someone. The upside to no DR is of course there's no issue with letting positions go if you think a fight isn't worth the SR gamble. I've been having fun with it.

You can even check my replays for a few fun examples.

Back