GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 30,164 comments
iRacing and ACC have purely a "both parties at fault" system for contact that works pretty well, a clean driver is going to get caught up in less incidents than a dirty one, and whilst they might take an incident point here or there - it's outweighed by the rest of their driving. I don't understand why GT hasn't just leant into something like that
This is totally ok with me TBH. Yes, my race will still be ruined, but they won't be able to ride off into the sunset for a podium. I also think doing this would result in the vast majority of the player base cleaning itself up. Right now it is HORRENDOUS in lower tier lobbies. There is no in game reason to not push or punt, and humans being humans (selfish) they will take advantage. I think if both players got a penalty, most players would elect to drive more carefully and not push because while they might get past you, they would get a penalty and it wouldn't help them really in most cases. This type of system would turn it from 1 in 5 races being clean, to 1-2 races in 5 being bad or something. That's just a guess on my part, but as you say, iRacing and ACC do it. I've played iRacing and it's extremely clean even in lower lobbies. You do get the odd person who doesn't care, but if you're clean most of your races will be clean too.

I'm working on getting my PC transferred to the living room so I can play iRacing and ACC in the same place I have my PS5 and racing rig setup. Transferring all my work stuff to a laptop. I'm pretty hopeful ACC will have exactly what I'm looking for, clean skill based GT3 racing.

Also, I thank you for your reply, I hadn't though about someone intentionally exploiting a stronger penalty system like that. Like you said, there is no way to know whether someone did it on purpose or not, even with AI, both appear to look the same. So the system you mentioned is probably the best case scenario.

I find it funny the number of people who complained about no weather in daily races are now complaining because it's too random like take your pick people and be happy a little, the point of realistic weather is not knowing what it will be ahead of time, even in real life the forecast can be wrong either to the good or bad...at least they're trying to give us what people have asked for.

I think the main "issue" now is that it's Le Mans, a very long lap and the weather can change 2-3 times in one lap, so you never know if you actually need to pit or just wait on the main straight for the rain to stop. Better option would be for example Tsukuba, 20 laps, Gr4, and rain that lasts for some time, like in a Mission challenge, so that the pit stops are actually doable and necessary.

But still, we got the dynamic weather, that's the most important thing, now sky is the limit :)

What's super frustrating is I'm fast this week, like REALLY fast. For the first time ever I feel like I can actually race with the go fast bois.
I haven't done the race yet, but I;m right there with you.
@GrumpyOldMan it's killing you that someone on your friends list has a faster qualifying time isn't it? :P Nothing but love man, I hope I see you in a race at some point.
As in, less than .2 seconds from you. And I'm leaving a LOT of time out there.
I was getting faster all the time, but between the more common 1:25.xxx and 1:26.xxx I would also spectacularly crash an burn as I pushed it to see what my limits were... I was scared entering a race that I would not be able to maintain that speed!
Everyone is faster in their qualifying, because by definition it's usually the very best they can do, with nobody on the track to worry about. Plus, the tires are warm and the car is lighter because the gas tank isn't full. Yes, there are some people that can drive almost as fast during the race (sometimes faster), but most people are like you and me. Some good laps, some bad laps. So they're usually feeling the same way as you are.
I proceed and pulled quite a lead, but karma came back to bite me at turn 5 where I drifted into the gravel and buried myself. I got back on track but after that I had a complete melt down and crashed twice more before I quit the race before I completed 1 lap. What a waste...
I did that so much last week (putting my tire in gravel or grass) and generally ****ing on myself - it's SO frustrating!
but 3rd went a little wiggly causing me to slow a bit more that I would have. 5th rear ended me sending me spinning into the gravel and wall.
I think, and this is just my opinion, as people get to know the track better, we'll see less and less of this. That's the way it seems in other races. I mean, there's always iceholes out there, but the rest are mistakes just like the one you made earlier.

I find it funny the number of people who complained about no weather in daily races are now complaining because it's too random like take your pick people and be happy a little, the point of realistic weather is not knowing what it will be ahead of time, even in real life the forecast can be wrong either to the good or bad...at least they're trying to give us what people have asked for.
I think I have a solution for the people who don't like the weather.
Whenever it starts raining, they could just send a chat message to everyone in the race, asking them to stop on the track until the wet weather clears up. :D
Comedy Reaction GIF by Jo Koy

Last edited:
All the streams and videos I have seen so far (I've not done race C yet) make me have the opinion the weather isn't dynamic enough. Seems like everyone simply picks softs so it's not doing what it's intended to do, provide strategy. I would like to see longer periods of rain. Also, from the streams I've watched, it doesn't seem like rain amplifies grip off track that much. Like when you touch the grass or dirt. One would think in the rain doing this would pretty much be auto death. Also the curbs IRL are much more slippery when wet, so that should be death as well.

I haven't raced it yet, so my opinion doesn't matter, but just from what I've seen this is a nice first step but it's not the end goal I would think.

An active AI driven penalty system will never work, it's why no other game does it. iRacing and ACC have purely a "both parties at fault" system for contact that works pretty well, a clean driver is going to get caught up in less incidents than a dirty one, and whilst they might take an incident point here or there - it's outweighed by the rest of their driving. I don't understand why GT hasn't just leant into something like that, the SR system is like halfway to that but it's too meaningless to matter.

I want to take your first point as an example.

"I won't give you a penalty for corner cutting if you got pushed off, which means I have detected that another person has pushed you off. I won't give that person a penalty though either, even though I have detected that as the reason for you corner cutting."

It sounds good on paper but it's immediately exploitable if you think about it. In any corner, this gives you the ability to bump into someone, cut the course - get away with it and then give the other person a penalty for hitting you off. Which is pretty much exactly what you saw in lower lobbies when contact penalties were stronger.

It's a mess of a system from top to bottom. It's crying out for a rework.
Watched an old Super_GT video where this happened. Driver forced bumped GT off the track and then drove
himself off track just for Super GT to get a 5 sec penalty. This was back in GT Sport days. Seemed this was
the go to move back then.

They're not trying very hard. And I hate to keep bitching, but they put us on the second longest track in the game with a radar system that gives us about 15 seconds warning. We either need to be on a shorter track or given more warning. Real teams have a weather radar that gives them plenty of warning. Sure, you can zoom out on our radars to be 50 mile radius, but it matters naught when the gale force winds come through and it can go from dry and an empty radar to pouring in 15 seconds (I ran the numbers once, and the clouds come in at like 1,000mph (which is about 3x faster than an F5 tornado) or something ridiculous).

I was in a race yesterday and there was nothing on the radar, until about 5 seconds after passing the pit lane. It was pouring by the time I hit the straight and by the time we all hit the next braking point it was chaos. Literally half of the people quit. It took me like 4 minutes to get back to the pits; I was in last place. I ended up finishing 4th because of how many people quit and/or tried to stay on RS tires.

The race was not very fun.

I think I have a solution for the people who don't like the weather.
Whenever it starts raining, they could just send a chat message to everyone in the race, asking them to stop on the track until the wet weather clears up. :D
Comedy Reaction GIF by Jo Koy
You see, there in lies the problem. When the track is wet and I'm on RS tires... I hit the brakes and the car actually accelerates and steers itself right towards Barry R. :lol:

Last edited:
Sorry to everyone in the “they are trying their best” brigade but Sports mode seems broken in every sense of the word.

The only way it gets better is to shut it down, rethink, take user advice and get a blank sheet of paper and try again.

I'm pretty hopeful ACC will have exactly what I'm looking for, clean skill based GT3 racing.
I like ACC though I still find GT is the more drop in and play friendly title and for the mosssst part the above can be true, but the first lap is total chaos from my experience as most drivers can't get the start right and are not prepared for the lack of grip on cold tires which is way, way more realistically simulated than in GT.

Once the races get going they can be good (you'll always find some idiots on any racing game regardless of level) be ready for a shock to the senses when the lights go green :lol:

Has anyone else found Laguna significantly different during the race than during QT? I know all about the cold tires, added fuel weight, etc. But I just ran my first actual race, where I started P4 and ended up DFL of the people who finished. And it had nothing to do with other people bumping me, and everything to do with the fact all my braking lines were way wrong for the actual race.

I suppose it could just be the fact there are other drivers out there, taking some of my focus away, but I swear it feels much different. I guess we'll see how I feel after I get a few races under my belt. But I felt like I was skating on ice, instead of someone who actually has a decent QT.

Has anyone else found Laguna significantly different during the race than during QT? I know all about the cold tires, added fuel weight, etc. But I just ran my first actual race, where I started P4 and ended up DFL of the people who finished. And it had nothing to do with other people bumping me, and everything to do with the fact all my braking lines were way wrong for the actual race.

I suppose it could just be the fact there are other drivers out there, taking some of my focus away, but I swear it feels much different. I guess we'll see how I feel after I get a few races under my belt. But I felt like I was skating on ice, instead of someone who actually has a decent QT.
I'm within a second of my QT during the race if no one is in front of me. It's only slightly different IMO. I lightly tap on the brakes slightly before my normal braking point on the first lap to counter fuel and tires and all that, but I would be doing that anyways because the first lap is crowded and I don't want to slam into the back of someone braking as late as possible. I don't think it's all that different once the cars spread out and you get into a rhythm.

EDIT: The brakes are different on various cars as well. I know you and I are using different cars for this track and the porsche has really good brakes so maybe the car you're using has less good brakes so that the minor change makes a bigger difference?

Last edited:

That was my feeling last night. Was very happy with my qualifying performance but come the race even when I was leading, my braking point was off and as I said above I ended up in gravel. I adjusted through the game but I was just a little off even when I was trying to brake earlier and more cautiously to maintain on track. I just thought that was the distraction of other racers. I had not considered fuel weight and cold tires before. I'll have to remember that for the next race and adjust.

I like ACC though I still find GT is the more drop in and play friendly title and for the mosssst part the above can be true, but the first lap is total chaos from my experience as most drivers can't get the start right and are not prepared for the lack of grip on cold tires which is way, way more realistically simulated than in GT.

Once the races get going they can be good (you'll always find some idiots on any racing game regardless of level) be ready for a shock to the senses when the lights go green :lol:
I bought ACC on a discount download, out of curiosity, took a look at it, and it scared the hell out of me.😆

Not going there again...

Last edited:
were they ramming you from behind or were they "bump drafting" where the car behind gets a run, bumps you forward, then gets a run again. Working in tandem down the Mulsanne you can drastically pull away from cars behind OR catch up to cars ahead vastly faster than you otherwise should have.
Sorry for late reply. It was not bump drafting as I kept getting hit only during braking. Anyway I did not really mind it because miraculously I did not spin out. I have had more races since then and I have really loved how everyone raced incredibly cleanly. Loved that!

Has anyone else found Laguna significantly different during the race than during QT?

Laguna Seca feels different to me lap to lap in qualifying. I know it’s just me, but I swear I’m doing identical inputs and getting different results lap to lap. I was frustrated last night trying to put down a decent qualy time.

I’ll try to get some racing in tonight. I am preparing myself now for the upcoming frustration!

My feeling is they chose Gr.4 at Le Mans, out of the thousands of possible combinations for the first dynamic weather online race as it's probably the easiest cars to drive and a relatively uncomplicated circuit.
yeah that's true. There's basically four heavy braking points in the entire lap:
Mulsanne Corner
indianapolis
Ford Chicane
Dunlop Chicane

Everything else is mid to high speed cornering (Arnage doesn't count because lets be real you're not going that fast between Indy and Arnage anyways) so yeah when wet it's slippery but it's not deadly. Not like say Spa for example.

EDIT:

I think there are two things PD could have done to improve Le Mans this week:

1. Weather Radar on the setup screen or at least a forecast.
2. Ensure that the variables are set in such a way as to encourage pitting to accommodate weather. If that means going to a 7x fuel or even higher, or extending the number of laps in conjunction with increased fuel, or even, dare I say it, drastically reducing the amount of time spent pitting would have made this race much more fun than it currently is.

I think it's really really poor game design to have 15-20 seconds elapse between entering the pits and your car actually being worked on. Older GT games didn't have that, why does the newest one? PD went backwards there for sure.

Last edited:
Second race at Laguna, started P5, finished P12 ahead of only one other car that didn't DNF. But I'll figure it out. Fortunately (knock on wood), I've got plenty of "B" DR left because just last week I dropped down from A. The worst part is how much I'm screwing up other people's races because I'm doing unexpected things. I think I'm gonna put a sticker on the back saying "Warning! Still learning this track. Don't follow too close!". Actually I think I really will do something like that.

EDIT: Here it is!
1674587998182.png

The brakes are different on various cars as well. I know you and I are using different cars for this track and the porsche has really good brakes so maybe the car you're using has less good brakes so that the minor change makes a bigger difference?
I actually wondered that myself, but a V12 finished second (he started P6 right behind me), so if it's the brakes, I just need to learn them better on this track. But if I don't figure it out soon, I'll try something else.
Laguna Seca feels different to me lap to lap in qualifying. I know it’s just me, but I swear I’m doing identical inputs and getting different results lap to lap. I was frustrated last night trying to put down a decent qualy time
I know exactly what you mean. That's how I felt all last week at Atlanta. I'd swear I was running it the same way, and I'd be off by seconds. I think it's a lack of understanding the parts of the track that have the most effect on times. At least it was for me.

Last edited:
It would be great but I'd be very surprised if this was the plan. Typically what we get on Monday is what we have for the week. The Sport guy doesn't come back until the following week :lol:
The Sport guy needs to concentrate more on his job & less on his luxury PD funded lifestyle.. 🤣

The brakes are different on various cars as well. I know you and I are using different cars for this track and the porsche has really good brakes so maybe the car you're using has less good brakes so that the minor change makes a bigger difference?
I think this is why I punted 1st place off track at the T2. I was expecting them to brake like the Porsche but perhaps they had different plans based on their car's brakes. Don't recall what car it was. Is there any guide on the relative brake (and acceleration) performance of stock Gr.4 and Gr.3 cars?

Last edited:
Laguna is a mess for me. Put some more laps in earlier. Can't be consistant at all. I'm starting to dislike it a lot. Oh and whoever designed that left after the corkscrew needs to tread on a piece of lego bare foot!!!
I'm the exact opposite, I LOVE this track and I feel like the braking points and sweeping turns are very consistent. That turn after the corkscrew really teaches you how to be on the limit and hit an apex at the same time and feathering the throttle to hit the maximum amount of curb on the exit. So far this is easily my favorite track I've done a daily race in. Aside from all the people trying to pass at T6 and the corkscrew which should just be banned from the game frankly.

Laguna is a mess for me. Put some more laps in earlier. Can't be consistant at all. I'm starting to dislike it a lot. Oh and whoever designed that left after the corkscrew needs to tread on a piece of lego bare foot!!!
Honestly it's so bad. I can do OK through that lap and get just ANNIHILATED through there, totally roasted. if i try and go faster I just understeer off. I am losing damn near a second to high A drivers at that one corner.

I did my first quali laps and went into the race expecting a little difference, but I completely spun out on the corkscrew the first two laps. I’m not sure what was different other than more weight and different balance, but it frustrates the heck out of me. I’ll have to watch some YouTube guides to figure it out. @Tidgney here I come.

Last edited:
I have an even better idea where that piece of lego should be applied, but I don't think it would be okay to write that here. :D

Last edited:
Back