GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 30,070 comments
I did my first quali laps and went into the race expecting a little difference, but I completely spun out on the corkscrew the first two laps. I’m not sure what was different other than more weight and different balance, but it frustrates the heck out of me. I’ll have to watch some YouTube guides to figure it out. @Tidgney here I come.

Ah the corkscrew has foiled many races since gt 2 lol ..

Last week was good, i did one of my very few start from pole get 1st place races at RACE C..

Then i watched this video Cookie Monster just uploaded.. his lap times and consistency is pretty crazy..

I feel pathetic after watching that. My best was a whole 6 seconds slower and my average was 8-11 seconds slower per lap. I also learned that I should have stayed on mediums until lap 8...

I did my first quali laps and went into the race expecting a little difference, but I completely spun out on the corkscrew the first two laps. I’m not sure what was different other than more weight and different balance, but it frustrates the heck out of me. I’ll have to watch some YouTube guides to figure it out. @Tidgney here I come.
In the past gt games I got good at jumping the corkscrew, not sure if you can now but who knows
I feel pathetic after watching that. My best was a whole 6 seconds slower and my average was 8-11 seconds slower per lap. I also learned that I should have stayed on mediums until lap 8...
I also struggled with the strategy in race C, I started good on the mediums but lost too much time whenever I pitted for hards....

I just failed at another race. P8 start, P12 finish. It would have been worse, but the other couple of drivers who were left were just as pathetic as I was. I want to say they were even more pathetic, but honestly, that's not true. Ugh.

Not giving up, though. Just letting off some steam. I think I need to get to where the track feels second nature (during Q), so during a race I can focus less on remembering what's what, and more on paying attention to my speed and lines.

This reminds me of golf. I've always got a plan for my next round, and feel really optimistic beforehand, yet inevitably my plan fails. But then I've got a new plan for the next round, and the cycle continues.

PD Logic: I won't give you a penalty for corner cutting if you got pushed off, which means I have detected that another person has pushed you off. I won't give that person a penalty though either, even though I have detected that as the reason for you corner cutting.
Not true. I have received plenty of track limit penalties for being punted off at corners (the bus stop at Watkins Glen is terrible for this).
I find it funny the number of people who complained about no weather in daily races are now complaining because it's too random like take your pick people and be happy a little, the point of realistic weather is not knowing what it will be ahead of time, even in real life the forecast can be wrong either to the good or bad...at least they're trying to give us what people have asked for.
Haha, yeah I could see that coming a mile away! Even before we had it in the dailies I could just see people complaining about the randomness of it. tbf though as most people have said, a forecast would easily help with this.
I agree its's an odd choice of track for the first time trying it, but give them a couple of attempts with dynamic weather to find what works well and what doesn't for the dailies

I just failed at another race. P8 start, P12 finish. It would have been worse, but the other couple of drivers who were left were just as pathetic as I was. I want to say they were even more pathetic, but honestly, that's not true. Ugh.

Not giving up, though. Just letting off some steam. I think I need to get to where the track feels second nature (during Q), so during a race I can focus less on remembering what's what, and more on paying attention to my speed and lines.

This reminds me of golf. I've always got a plan for my next round, and feel really optimistic beforehand, yet inevitably my plan fails. But then I've got a new plan for the next round, and the cycle continues.
As Mike Tyson once said, everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face!

It's a great study in tire wear. He switches just when the wear on the mediums match his lap times on hards.

I don't think you get SR down for bump drafting. I have been doing it for 2 days straight now, about 12-15 races and I am still B/S.
I just lift a little before bumping first time so it's a little more gentle, then continue down the straight.
As most I have been at 278 km/h at the kink.

It's a great study in tire wear. He switches just when the wear on the mediums match his lap times on hards.
Apologies for the incoming rant, but this is one of those things that really riles me up.

The optimal tyre strategy is NOT to change when softer compound matches harder. Let me explain why.

In the example above, let’s say you do 7m/3h and you try 8m/2h. The difference between these two strats is 1 lap on 6 lap old mediums vs 1 lap on 2 lap old hards. So what matters is whether your 7th medium lap is quicker or slower than your third hards lap.

In this case that is approximately the same as the crossover point because you’re doing so few laps on hards, but in races where you significantly wear both compounds, changing at crossover is potentially a very bad choice.

The optimal point is the one in which your last lap on the softer compound is still quicker than replacing that lap with your last lap on the harder compound.

I don't think you get SR down for bump drafting. I have been doing it for 2 days straight now, about 12-15 races and I am still B/S.
I just lift a little before bumping first time so it's a little more gentle, then continue down the straight.
As most I have been at 278 km/h at the kink.
this is how you 'bump draft' 👆
all people seem to know is "boom drafting" 🤦‍♂️ it gets annoying & isnt as fast..

I finally saw some torrential rain earlier whilst we were all on slicks. I think every car on the track crashed in that half lap:

I had two of these in a row last night. It's hilarious, frustrating and great fun. In the first one I went from p1 to P12 because wet track+dirty tyres+damaged aero = Dredge can't go forwards.

In the second one I was 10 seconds in front when the heavens opened at the start of the last lap. By the time I got to Indianapolis I was driving so slowly I could have gotten out of the car and walked faster. Won by 16 seconds.

Never been so happy for a P5!
1674603780704.png

Also, here's an important 40-second safety tip, if you get punted on T1:

Attachments

• 1674603841758.png
    1674603841758.png
    85 KB · Views: 5
I had two of these in a row last night. It's hilarious, frustrating and great fun. In the first one I went from p1 to P12 because wet track+dirty tyres+damaged aero = Dredge can't go forwards.

In the second one I was 10 seconds in front when the heavens opened at the start of the last lap. By the time I got to Indianapolis I was driving so slowly I could have gotten out of the car and walked faster. Won by 16 seconds.
It's such a hopeless feeling, you feel like you're barely moving and being too cautious then if you try to up the pace by just a few mph you're having a stupid looking accident at walking pace. There is absolutely no middle ground between the two..

The optimal point is the one in which your last lap on the softer compound is still quicker than replacing that lap with your last lap on the harder compound.
1,000 times this.

And yeah those times are INSANE, I am a solid 3 seconds a lap slower which is mind boggling.

Last edited:
Also, here's an important 40-second safety tip, if you get punted on T1:

Isn't that only when you have the reset switched on under assists? I have reset switched off and GT is quite happy to leave me in the gravel with a count-down until I am disqualified if I don't get out in time.

Last edited:
I’m getting tired of starting a race in the middle of the turn that nearly everyone else has got around, only to not get control of my steering until AFTER my car has drifted off the track and into some gravel. Thanks PD. It’s bad enough you can’t get the rolling starts right, but this is ridiculous!!!
:dunce:

Ever feel like life is passing you by?
1674607667350.png

I see a bad trend here...
1674607719754.png

Details on how this information was obtained can be found here.
Isn't that only when you have the reset switched on under assists? I have reset switched off and GT is quite happy to leave me in the gravel with a count-down until I am disqualified if I don't get out in time.
Could be. I'm not going to test that theory out, though. :lol:

It's such a hopeless feeling, you feel like you're barely moving and being too cautious then if you try to up the pace by just a few mph you're having a stupid looking accident at walking pace. There is absolutely no middle ground between the two..
As is strongly evidenced by a normally very good Greek driver in your video.

The really hilarious thing I noticed is that once the track is soaked I was under threat from the cars behind who it seemed were thinking "Check out this chump braking so early and going so slow" right before they switched to "Why won't my car turn? Why can't I stop? Look out people, no brakes! Sorry."

Two race Cs today; two completely dry races. The second one had a sprinkle for like 30 seconds, but it wasn't enough to even register on the tire/friction gauge.

Got a W after a fight with a pair of Veyrons. I love the Viper around here, but on that long straight I lose ~1.5 seconds to even a loan Veyron. The Viper does drive like a dream around the curvy bits of the track, however.

5e74f24e66f5d626dd1e58da9b2bc714_photo.webp

9ef48c13074efb77960b8dd14c94da9b_photo.webp

I did 3 races at LeMans today as I'm having some fun here. Frustrating at times, but sill fun. I did get my qualifying time down to a 4:03.7XX and that got me up the grid a bit.

Race 1 started in the wet! I started P6 which was a pleasant surprise to be sure. So I put my heavy wet tires on and everyone was having problems as they were on slick tires and spinning everywhere. Not that I had a better time in the wet. 3 people quit immediately and I was in P2 for a while. The rain stopped and I took a gamble and didn't change tires, which was the wrong decision in the end. I thought that the people that pit would be way behind. Not the case and I fell to P9 in the end.

Race 2 was bone dry, but it did get cloudy at the end of the race was cool to see. I was P6 this time and was doing fine until I get a penalty for having a car that was rejoining the track hit me, then go off track again. No idea why that penalty was given to me. So, I play catch up and finish P9 again. Too bad a bogus penalty cost me a better finish.

Race 3 is also bone dry and I was P3 to start. I got to P2 at the beginning and got some honest to goodness drafting down the Mulsanne Straight. They backed off before the turn and everything! A truly great experience. But, I was having problems entering Indianapolis all night and they got by. And I didn't catch back up the rest of the race. I almost got freight trained on the final lap, but I held off the charge. I did pick up an off track penalty at Indianapolis, but the person behind me absolutely had to get by in the final chicanes, and I did get into the back of them and force them off track. Shockingly, I didn't get a penalty for that. They were all over the place and got a total of 1.5 seconds worth of penalties. I hope that was worth it. I'd check the replay on what they did but it didn't save again as I got an error, so who knows at this point. I finish P5 so someone else got by me at some point, but I don't remember when that happened as the race was intense in the end.

Anyway, as I said, I'm having some fun there this week so far. The combo is way better than I thought it would be. It seems that people are figuring out that drafting is the way to go. Looking forward to more racing tomorrow and hopefully some good results.

Interesting hearing from people learning Laguna Seca for the first time and it's unpredictable and often frustrating nature.

I think starting now I'd have hated the track but after years and years of it I have learned how to enjoy it, and not just the corkscrew. There's a certain methodical pace to it if you can get in the groove but it's very easy to slip out of and get a wheel in the sand.

It's a track that will teach you, very much like Brands Hatch, how to underdrive the car to get the most consistent lap times and not 'screw' it all up.

Practicing for Race B was hilarious when my wheel decided to disconnect itself from the playstation..
What is it with you guys doing donuts all over the place? How rude.
Kidding, of course - that was hilarious!.
Interesting hearing from people learning Laguna Seca for the first time and it's unpredictable and often frustrating nature.

I think starting now I'd have hated the track but after years and years of it I have learned how to enjoy it, and not just the corkscrew. There's a certain methodical pace to it if you can get in the groove but it's very easy to slip out of and get a wheel in the sand.
I love the track. It's the other racers I'm having some issues with. ;p
It's a track that will teach you, very much like Brands Hatch, how to underdrive the car to get the most consistent lap times and not 'screw' it all up.
That's a great tip, and it makes total sense.

Back