GT7 Daily Race Discussion

• Thread starter Pigems
  • 31,478 comments
Well now. Hmmm. I've been doing Q laps at Deep Forest this morning in the Veyron, for about 3-4 hours. I just couldn't figure out what was holding me back. I've been following the leader's ghost, and at one point exiting the esses/tunnels, he just starts pulling away from me for no apparent reason. I mean, there's spots where skill is obviously the case for why he pulls away from me, but this one part just didn't make any sense. I was right with him, and then it was like he had nitrous or my car lost a spark plug (yeah, I know, but I'm old-school).

Turns out I had Assists on for the Veyron. Not sure when I turned them on - probably when I was trying a 2-wheel-drive car. In any case, I turned them off and dropped a quarter second in about 3 laps. They definitely had a negative impact in multiple spots. So hopefully I can start improving more.

But first, time for a well-deserved lunch.

Well now. Hmmm. I've been doing Q laps at Deep Forest this morning in the Veyron, for about 3-4 hours. I just couldn't figure out what was holding me back. I've been following the leader's ghost, and at one point exiting the esses/tunnels, he just starts pulling away from me for no apparent reason. I mean, there's spots where skill is obviously the case for why he pulls away from me, but this one part just didn't make any sense. I was right with him, and then it was like he had nitrous or my car lost a spark plug (yeah, I know, but I'm old-school).

Turns out I had Assists on for the Veyron. Not sure when I turned them on - probably when I was trying a 2-wheel-drive car. In any case, I turned them off and dropped a quarter second in about 3 laps. They definitely had a negative impact in multiple spots. So hopefully I can start improving more.

Assists are the enemy of Gr4 the Help of Gr3 and the saviour of Gr1/2 especially in the wet or sweaty races!!!

I haven't fully figured out the Veyron yet, but you have to really shortshift it, right?

I always had to somehow shortshift the Veyron which was annoying, so I don't use it anymore in the daily races except if there is a TT that only uses that type of car. Like the Le Mans one back from 2-3 weeks ago.

@GrumpyOldMan that picture you posted was what I thought about Sturk's impressive time, how did he do it? My time was 4'26.042. I had to drive 2 consecutive laps in order to get that time. From what I could tell on the leaderboard, the Mercedes gave most people the best results!

My internet was down for 6 hours so I could not access GTplanet and play gt7. I had to do crossword puzzles and read.

Last edited:
I am quickly becoming a joke on those Daily Races this week 😂. After punching someone to the moon from Deep Forest last evening, I became a moving chicane under Mt Fuji and probably annoyed half the field 😅

I had been a huge fan of JGTC/SuperGT until they switched to DTM regs in 2014, so naturally I picked the much better looking and technologically advanced 2008 SuperGT NSX to battle with the meta 2016 NSX. My QT wasn’t too horrible (1:31.2) consider I wasn’t in a meta but was only enough for 12th on the grid.

IMG-9818.jpg

In the race I discovered the 2008 NSX is slower in corners (Like every other 2008 Gr.2 cars) and only on par with the 2016 NSX on straight unlike the SC430. Though magically I was 5th by Lap 3 as everyone struggled to keep it on track. Then came Lap 4 I had a horrible exit out of the final corner with an NSX close behind, I thought it would be a good idea to dive into the Pit to avoid fights, and of course I crashed at Pit entry and collected 3 sec penalty. Dropped to DFL and when the pit window closes I was 8th with 3 cars close behind. Somehow managed to defend my position for the last 5 laps by having a great sector 3 and being ultra defensive in T1.

505588-D1-7456-4450-A8-F2-EC5-BA1-D60-DF6.jpg

5353-BCDD-121-E-459-C-8-C64-7-FB1-FE2-BB593.jpg

Finished P8 at the end after being the slowest on track (mid to high 1:32’s vs 1:30/31’s everyone else was doing) for much of the race. Don’t think I will do any Daily B/C for the rest of the week as I am horribly off the pace, and I don’t want to jump to the METAs either.

IMG-9817.jpg

Also tried the McLaren F1 GTR Gr.2 and couldn’t even get it below 1:33 in QT. The Gr.2 BoP needs a major rework!

Last edited:
Sturk most likely won't reveal his secret to us, I can tell from his look/eyes. That's what anyone would do.
I would be more than happy to. I like to share the wealth.
I've qualified top 10 in the world, all 3 times we've done this race in GT7, so it probably isn't luck. :embarrassed:
I have written before about how to do it, previously, but not many people seem to care, because it takes a lot of time, and ultimately, your starting position at the race isn't terribly important.
Nothing would make me happier than to see someone use the info to get an alien QT, but like I said, probably nobody would do it, and it takes a lot to explain everything.

If more than two people say yes, I want the info, then I will break it down.
Otherwise, like I said, it won't help you all that much in the race, and it's just for QT bragging rights.

Last edited:
I would be more than happy to. I like to share the wealth.
I've qualified top 10 in the world, all 3 times we've done this race in GT7, so it probably isn't luck.
I have written before about how to do it, previously, but not many people seem to care, because it takes a lot of time, and ultimately, your starting position at the race isn't terribly important.
Nothing would make me happier than to see someone use the info to get an alien QT, but like I said, probably nobody would do it, and it takes a lot to explain everything.

If more than two people say yes, I want the info, than I will break it down.
Otherwise, like I said, it won't help you all that much in the race, and it's just for QT bragging rights.
Well I guess I should do it my way, because even when I get the pole time, if there are a lobby full of A,B and C drivers who still pass me halfway then it's really no point in trying to lower my time, i have to learn the block method for opponents trying to pass me using their slipstreams.

Would love to drive B without a lancer trying up the inside of every corner....

We all have our relative issues with this one 😝
Lancer has much better brakes than the fatty Veyron.

I have a certain methodology for getting a good Q time at that track.
Of course you'll have to reveal your method right now, or else I will 🐶🔫
Cuppa tea, wait for it to cool a bit and then drink the tea?
My understanding is that you first do a u-turn and drive backwards for like 1/3 lap so you can hit top speed when you first cross the line. After getting to the starting point, put the car in park and let it sit for 20 minutes or so, so it gets colder. Then do two hot laps. After that, you'll get engine wear and the car will slow down so it is not worth proceeding.

Correct?

Last edited:

My understanding is that you first do a u-turn and drive backwards for like 1/3 lap so you can hit top speed when you first cross the line. After getting to the starting point, put the car in park and let it sit for 20 minutes or so, so it gets colder. Then do two hot laps. After that, you'll get engine wear and the car will slow down so it is not worth proceeding.

Correct?
No

You'd think so but clearly the leaderboards say the Veyron is faster....I mean it's faster.

Edit2: this is the problem. Its not faster, what is the points of fractionally and I say fractionally better brakes when the ultimate lap time is based on earlier gentle braking and driving huge straight speeds.

It's a false economy to constantly out corner a fast driver in the Veyron to win a corner then lose it on the straights...rinse and repeat. It makes crappy slow race times.
That's it basically ;)

Edit, although I'd do several flying laps....just to warm the tires back up a bit and take more and more speed ;)

Last edited:
You'd think so but clearly the leaderboards say the Veyron is faster....I mean it's faster.
Well yes it is in a straight line. Still doesn't mean it is better on the brakes. Between the Veyron, Lancer and G70, the Lancer I was able to brake later. The issue is when I'm behind a Veyron in the Lancer and you hit the long straight, the Veyron pulls away and the gap opens. I then close it back up at the hairpin.

It's annoying as it's impossible to overtake but the Lancer is quicker in the twisty stuff.

Well yes it is in a straight line. Still doesn't mean it is better on the brakes. Between the Veyron, Lancer and G70, the Lancer I was able to brake later. The issue is when I'm behind a Veyron in the Lancer and you hit the long straight, the Veyron pulls away and the gap opens. I then close it back up at the hairpin.

It's annoying as it's impossible to overtake but the Lancer is quicker in the twisty stuff.
Nah, the issue is they take different lines to make the speed and the veyron is faster. None of these cars are bad on the brakes, just with a larger car you take the wider line.

With the evo you can attack the apex but it's the slower car :/

It's a weird one because it feels like diving in the lancer is the strat but the faster car is the veyron. In race it's frustrating as stuff because I'm getting tiered of having to repass dive bombing lancers who can't even out qualify me

Edit for grammar

Last edited:
I always had to somehow shortshift the Veyron which was annoying, so I don't use it anymore in the daily races except if there is a TT that only uses that type of car. Like the Le Mans one back from 2-3 weeks ago.
I've always hated to have to short-shift too, but in the Veyron, it doesn't bother me. Once I figured out when to short-shift, the engine noise is usually enough to clue me in when to shift.

And I've always hated driving a car that's slower on the straights. It just makes me feel like I have the smaller dick. I mean, not really of course, but I've never ever liked cars that ride my tail IRL.

So with the Veyron, it's possible I'll slow some people down behind me during the twisty parts, but that doesn't bother me because I know I'll pull away on the straights so they can just suck it, as it were.

Don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but it does in my strange brain.
My internet was down for 6 hours so I could not access GTplanet and play gt7.
I hate when that happens! It happened to me a few weeks back, and it totally sucked.

It’s my 3rd weekly race of racing live bodies. I prefer the longer races because I have more time to recover from my mistakes. I was racing vs AI and I was at the pro level, what a joke, vs live racing I can barely get out of my own way in a D lobby.

I just want to say that I appreciate all of you that upload your races. Great learning tool.
I watched someone named Senna racing at Fuji in a B lobby. Nothing spectacular, he started in 16th with no qual time. He was in 9th at the end of the front straight by just letting morons wreck each other. He hit his marks and, more morons wrecked each other, Just smooth. Somewhere I need to find 4 seconds/ lap and, of course, some people who well willingly sacrifice themselves for the sake of my DR.

Oh ya… Senna won that race, as Senna tended to do.

I've always hated to have to short-shift too, but in the Veyron, it doesn't bother me. Once I figured out when to short-shift, the engine noise is usually enough to clue me in when to shift.

And I've always hated driving a car that's slower on the straights. It just makes me feel like I have the smaller dick. I mean, not really of course, but I've never ever liked cars that ride my tail IRL.

So with the Veyron, it's possible I'll slow some people down behind me during the twisty parts, but that doesn't bother me because I know I'll pull away on the straights so they can just suck it, as it were.

Don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but it does in my strange brain.

I hate when that happens! It happened to me a few weeks back, and it totally sucked.
Question: (that I really don’t know the answer to)… are there times when you need to short-shift when you need torque i.e. an uphill grade and high RPM into max HP for lower loads I.e. flats and down hill?

Well I guess I should do it my way, because even when I get the pole time, if there are a lobby full of A,B and C drivers who still pass me halfway then it's really no point in trying to lower my time, i have to learn the block method for opponents trying to pass me using their slipstreams.
Sometimes there isn't really a way except letting the move happen.

However, some people completely let their guard down after they are ahead, and leave an opportunity to strike back in the braking zone.

If they overcommit to the inside, you can also make their entry so narrow that they can't effectively carry speed into the corner. Open up the corner for yourself and carry speed around the outside.

Depending on the situation, you might also be able to give up the position so you can use their slipstream, but usually if they can overtake you on power your chances of getting the position back are slim to none.

In other words, get crafty.

View attachment 1345599psychopaths the lot of them, had horrible 3 races this morning
I assume you're mightypeanut? You've just discovered a quirk of the matching alogirthm that means players close to progressing to the next DR get mixed in with low SR ranked players from the higher DR rank. Think of it as a right of passage you have to go through to get to the next level, we've all been there. Once you reach C then it will all calm down and you'll be back with SR:S players like yourself. Just be ready for it happen again when it's time for you to move from DR:C to to DR:B

Was really having a horrible week on GT due to my own bad driving, mysterious penalties and feeling trapped in lower SR lobbies until last night

I was running a few Daily Race Bs on my second account and after about 5 races I got a message from a driver who was starting ahead of me in grid who I would always end up ahead of as I was finishing top 3 most of the races

He dm’d me saying he’s seen me in a lot of his races over the few weeks and was asking me for me advice on how to improve and his wheel set up

So I analysed a few of his replays between races and told him to turn off TC as it’s not needed for GR4 cars and especially not in a 4wd car and that he was only going to slow himself down abit using TC. I also told him he’s doing too much 100% braking and 100% throttle and that he should slow down his inputs abit as that is the reason he was getting his car sideways so much

Anyways, I set a quali time to start behind him on the grid and began driving his race instead of my own, indicating for him, bumping him up the straights and navigating my race around his and giving him tips or lines between races

He managed to get one win / on his own merit as I picked up a track limits on final lap one time and we managed to get a few podiums and I overtook him a few times if he was holding us up etc.. and honestly, doing that and being more patient with my own driving improved it so much, I got about 5-6 clean race bonuses out of 10 races and had the fastest lap in almost all of them and we added each other on psn afterwards and it was the most I enjoyed GT in a few weeks to be honest!

I even reached out to other drivers in the lobby I was getting tangled up with to apologize for harsh driving on them and if they were ahead of me I was just bumping them up the straight and only overtaking when I knew I would absolutely get it done with no issues and most of the drivers responded very positively to this and the leading packs in the lobby were a lot more civil / amicable following this

Got my second account into DR A and maxed out my SR again and made some new friends along the way. I think I was try harding too much, and it’s ironic because I was telling the other guy to slow down and be smooth when I was doing anything but that myself all week, and seemingly when we both did that both of our pace improved drastically

Sometimes you just need to slow down and be patient. Enjoyable experience last night and will be looking to do the same with others in my lobby tonight, sorry for all the complaining recently in this thread! I was in a racing slump and just blaming anything but myself which I shouldn’t do

A question for the forum scientists again:
Before even trying to get back into daily racing on my main accounts, I just noticed that the SR progress bars on my first and second accounts are empty. I'm SR S on both, and I'm quite sure (or am I?) that both bars were somewhere around "half full" when I decided to take a break from online racing. So, does that happen when you don't race on your account for a longer period of time?

Seems like I'm bound to fall back into SR A in the first race I'll dare to participate...😬

Back