GT7: PS4 makes incredible difference - Kaz

sems4arsenal

Nissan Sunny FTW
Premium
Egypt
Cairo, Egypt
GTP_SEMS
http://www.gamestm.co.uk/interviews/ps4-makes-incredible-difference-for-gran-turismo-says-yamauchi/

Also a 2015-2016 release date, means surely a possible announcement soon, maybe before E3?

Sony has 2 mega game announcments early December according to Insider.

Speaking exclusively to games™ in an in-depth interview feature, Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi has praised the PlayStation 4 and assured fans that they can expect a much better final product than Polyphony was able to deliver on the more challenging PS3 hardware.

“Everything will be running naturally,” Yamauchi assured us. “PS3 was much, much more difficult. The high quality of data that we have being rendered on the PS4 I think is going to make an incredible difference.”

He went on to reveal a little more of his vision for how the first Gran Turismo on PS4 will feel.

“For GT7, myself and my staff have a clear vision: to do everything we couldn’t do in GT6,” Yamauchi revealed. “We want to make it very Gran Turismo. By that I mean it’s going to be a game that matches the very era that we live in, in 2015 or 2016.”

You can read much more from Kazunori Yamauchi on his early days falling in love with racing, the challenges of working on PS3 and his hopes for the future of the GT series in games™ 153, on sale now

I sure hope it will. No more cell architecture to try to develop. It's common x86 architecture on PS4 so they shouldn't have any issues getting what they need done for GT7, especially with all the improvements the PS4 has over the PS3.

This is their time to prove that they still have what it takes to make the best. If they fall short with GT7, it'll be disappointing.

Who knows, guessing better sounds is probably a given. Nice to see him confirming we may still get a 2015 release.

Tagging @Jordan for this.

“For GT7, myself and my staff have a clear vision: to do everything we couldn’t do in GT6.”

Like the livery editor and better car sounds?

Yes, it sounds awfully like they'll be trying to fit everything and the kitchen sink in again, instead of making sure that the core gameplay elements are as refined as they can be.

The problem with GT6 isn't that it's short on features. It's that the features that are there are poorly designed or poorly implemented. I'd far rather they spent time creating an engaging career mode, a robust and customisable single player race creator, and a stable, user friendly online experience.

Will be interesting to see how GT7 will ''match the very era that we live in'' if they're still insisting holding onto jaggedy doodoo PS2 cars. Anyway, I'd hope that it also means improvments by leaps and bounds in game desing as well.
Agreed. As much fun it is to find your own car among the standards, I really think they need to go. They really drag down the overall impression of the game, even on PS3, and they're gonna stick even more out on PS4. Even if they update the textures, there's still a certain level of cheapness over them. The lower poly count make the reflections and shadows look really bad, especially alongside premium cars.

I say scrap the standards, and upgrade the most iconic and special of them to premiums.

Some random question here: will PD achieve 1080p at 60 fps?
Also, will all the standards be cleaned up like some of the standards in GT6 and will there be a livery editor?

There will never be any agreement on the Standard cars and tracks, so I'll just step around all that.

I have GOT to get my hands on GT7 as soon as possible. The PS3 is just too limiting for an ambitious racing game. Besides everyone's fave whipping feature, the sounds, shadows are pretty bad in rather broad areas. Damage is minimal. The A.I. could be better. Night lighting is lame, with very few light sources. Very few tracks with daylight transitions, and not enough with weather. No Livery Editor yet. No Course Maker yet, and just imagine a high power multiprocessor and several GB of ram for it. Imagine better tire and suspension modeling, interior car body modeling and better inertial physics. More cars on track. Multiclass racing. League based racing. Way better paint effects. Dream dream dream...

Whatever form GT7 takes, it'll be better than 6. And I'll be there, racing in it.

Yes, it sounds awfully like they'll be trying to fit everything and the kitchen sink in again, instead of making sure that the core gameplay elements are as refined as they can be.

The problem with GT6 isn't that it's short on features. It's that the features that are there are poorly designed or poorly implemented. I'd far rather they spent time creating an engaging career mode, a robust and customisable single player race creator, and a stable, user friendly online experience.
Have you been laying your criticisms down routinely in the Kaz Q&A section? Admittedly, I've been a stupidly busy, distracted and reality escaping bureaucrat this year, so I've been posting very little lately. But when the bottom falls out of the gubmint workload towards the holidays, I'll be picking up where I left off.

In view of the next generation has shown so far, I'll moderate my expectations.

But I have full confidence in Polyphony Digital, I'm sure they will surprise us, they did a fantastic job with the PS3 and GT6 despite limitations.

I hope to have interview in full, soon.

Last edited:
I sure hope it will. No more cell architecture to try to develop. It's common x86 architecture on PS4 so they shouldn't have any issues getting what they need done for GT7, especially with all the improvements the PS4 has over the PS3.

This is their time to prove that they still have what it takes to make the best. If they fall short with GT7, it'll be disappointing.
I would have thought the Cell CPU was more like a saviour for PD for GT on PS3, weak GPU and lack of RAM would be more troubling for them I imagine.

Have you been laying your criticisms down routinely in the Kaz Q&A section? Admittedly, I've been a stupidly busy, distracted and reality escaping bureaucrat this year, so I've been posting very little lately. But when the bottom falls out of the gubmint workload towards the holidays, I'll be picking up where I left off.

Not since the first few weeks of the Q&A thing. It seems like a waste of time when he's not addressing anyone's questions. If I actually believed that the Q&A forum was a valid method of communicating with PD, I would.

I did offer to translate some of the top questions into Japanese if the language barrier was an issue. My Japanese isn't great but it's probably good enough. But again, it seems like a waste of my time if those questions are never going to be read anyway.

I think we got more information out of that one Reddit session than we've gotten via the Q&A/Pitstop system.

I just hope they will not make the same mistake again and bite off more than they can chew. What I'm afraid about is that they'll get carried away and introduce things like a damage model with glass shattering into a million tiny pieces so that the frame-rate even on the PS4 begins to stutter. They should stay away from the hardware-limits for once, so that the game runs smoothly in every respect.

In view of the next generation has shown so far, I'll moderate my expectations.

But I have full confidence in Polyphony Digital, I'm sure they will surprise us, they did a fantastic job with the PS3 and GT6 despite limitations.

I hope to have interview in full, soon.
They have done an even better job with the PS2 and GT3 A - Spec . I think they need to change their priorities , Quality over quantity (FPS and less jagis over polygons number).

Some random question here: will PD achieve 1080p at 60 fps?
Also, will all the standards be cleaned up like some of the standards in GT6 and will there be a livery editor?
They achieved 1440*1080 resolution in GT6. A resolution that no other game (with those graphics) could run with on PS3 and Xbox 360. It had frame drops alot, but in times it was 60fps. We should consider that PS3 couldnt handle those graphics in smooth 60fps. things like 16 outstanding cars, superb lighting, day/night cycle, weather effects, volumetric smoke and ...
If they make GT7 normally and with considering PS4 hardware, they can achieve 1080p/60fps without a doubt. But I fear that they put lots of things in GT7 and make a game with frame drops. Things like 40 cars (!) in a track or birds with individual AI that poop on your car and ...

PD is the kind of developer that can achieve 4k on ps4 with awesome graphics, but crappy aliasing and other things. They have to focus on a stable and robust experience before pushing the system to its limits. I won't be surprised with like 30 cars on circuit and a poor career. PD has to know that GT is a game, not an extreme benchmark test for the console.

I honestly believe its a lock GT7 comes out in 2015. Xbox already has 2 Forza titles, and Driveclub turned out to be mediocre. I know Sony is going to be all over them to have the game ready by Q4 2015.

Besides the release date, Im curious as to what they will be adding to GT7 they couldnt accomplish in GT6 on PS3. First guess is better sound. Im expecting sound at least as good as Driveclub. The sound in that game wont make the hair on your arms stand up, but all the cars sound very accurate and unique with no hint of a vacuum cleaner.

With Driveclub looking as good as it does, I must admit Im very excited about what Polyphony Digital could pull off with GT7.

They achieved 1440*1080 resolution in GT6. A resolution that no other game (with those graphics) could run with on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Given that there are no other games with exactly the same graphics as GT6, that's not an impressive statement. There are games on PS3 that run at 1080/60, and they adapted their graphical style to suit what the machinery was capable of.

It had frame drops alot, but in times it was 60fps. We should consider that PS3 couldnt handle those graphics in smooth 60fps. things like 16 outstanding cars, superb lighting, day/night cycle, weather effects, volumetric smoke and ...

Then perhaps they shouldn't have done them. Or at least considered whether it would be better for the player to have a stable frame rate than eye candy. I seem to recall Kaz saying that 60fps was very important in a racing game at one point (and I happen to agree).

Eye candy gets players to buy the game.
A stable frame rate makes players happy that they bought the game.

I do not and will not agree with making excuses for a developer who did not consider the strength of the hardware they were developing for.

If they make GT7 normally and with considering PS4 hardware, they can achieve 1080p/60fps without a doubt. But I fear that they put lots of things in GT7 and make a game with frame drops. Things like 40 cars (!) in a track or birds with individual AI that poop on your car and ...

This is the danger.

If they didn't think 1080/60 was important enough on PS3 to warrant cutting back on graphical features to achieve it, there's no real reason to think that they'll do any different on PS4. Any computer can be overwhelmed if they push it hard enough.

Sadly, high image quality in screenshots and youtube videos (which are at most 30 fps) are easier to advertise than a stable 60 fps promise. I wish all games would run at 60fps in this day and age.

I doubt this applies to this particular forum, but I know of many who don't even take notice of a game's framerate, unless it is significantly below 30.

Fun fact: Mario Kart 8 runs in stable 60fps 1080p on the wiiu. It would be embarrasing if PD couldn't match that on a PS4.

Last edited:
Yup, if GT7 doesn't do any better in GT6 in its flawed areas such as FPS, AI, & etc; I'm going to hold Kaz up to his words. Either way though, I'm still going to get GT7; I plan on playing this series until it sinks into the ocean.
He can still say that a livery editor was possible on PS3 and he said that he wants to do everything with GT7 his team couldn't do on PS3. Which would exclude a livery editor. :D
Fun fact: Mario Kart 8 runs in stable 60fps 1080p on the wiiu. It would be embarrasing if PD couldn't match that on a PS4.
60FPS, 720p,no AA.

I was disappointed with PD last gen, but i have to admit that i am hyped for GT7 regardless.

Last edited:
Back