GTA 1st Person Gameplay

Interesting, wonder what they're going to do when it comes to online servers with FPS vs. 3rd person view

Interesting, wonder what they're going to do when it comes to online servers with FPS vs. 3rd person view

I'm not sure it would make a difference to rendering at the "client" machine; you're either going to see a 3D render of yourself or FPS. Other players will continue to see your 3rd person model.

I'm not sure it would make a difference to rendering at the "client" machine; you're either going to see a 3D render of yourself or FPS. Other players will continue to see your 3rd person model.

I was referring to aspects of PVP with other players in servers, are they going to lock views on servers or are they gonna let you choose between the two.

I was referring to aspects of PVP with other players in servers, are they going to lock views on servers or are they gonna let you choose between the two.

I see; I imagine it will be free choice, in a racing sim you might want all other plays to be in cockpit view but would you feel the same need for all GTAV opponents to be playing in FPV?

I can see the point being made, I think it comes down to preference. Some people prefer the situational awareness of 3rd person, others prefer the immersion on FPV.

I can't say either has an advantage really, it depends on personsal style.

Maybe rockstar will give us options. Freeroam = any view you please, whilst TDM etc, the host could choose to lock to either 3rd or FPV, or free choice.

I'm certainly excited to see GTA finally go FPV, it's something I've wanted to see since SA.

Last edited:
I absolutely loved what we got to see. First person in GTA has been on top of my wishlist since forever, and it's finally coming true. Will double dip.

double-dip-o.gif

I see; I imagine it will be free choice, in a racing sim you might want all other plays to be in cockpit view but would you feel the same need for all GTAV opponents to be playing in FPV?

FuzzyFez sorta answered your question above but it's to level out the playing field in some game situations.

I don't mind either view since I can play with both but in most cases in a gunfight 3rd person vs FPV 3rd person view has the advantage since you can peek into areas FPV can't with your camera.

FuzzyFez sorta answered your question above but it's to level out the playing field in some game situations.

Not quite, he said he thought it came down to personal style and preference-without-advantage.

I can see the point being made, I think it comes down to preference. Some people prefer the situational awareness of 3rd person, others prefer the immersion on FPV.

I can't say either has an advantage really, it depends on personsal style.

See? :D

I agree with @FussyFez incidentally, I don't see there's an advantage and therefore (in reply to @Stavingo's question) I don't think it's likely that R* will have even considered view-locking.

So much more effort is required to do first person as well as third person, the dials and steering of the vehicles needs to be rigged, more details needed to be added to the textures and models and in some cases they'll be completely redone but for a lot of people it will probably be the difference between not buying GTA V again and buying it again.

So much more effort is required to do first person as well as third person, the dials and steering of the vehicles needs to be rigged, more details needed to be added to the textures and models and in some cases they'll be completely redone but for a lot of people it will probably be the difference between not buying GTA V again and buying it again.

I've certainly seen some epic wailing over GTAV.0 since GTAV.1 was announced :D

You're definitely right that adding FPS is a lot of new work and a lot of attention to weapon/object models in the hands (although I think all the models/textures would receive that quality of review/rework for HD gaming).

I booted up GTA:SA on my 360 last night. It was... old-looking :)

Not quite, he said he thought it came down to personal style and preference-without-advantage.

See? :D

I agree with @FussyFez incidentally, I don't see there's an advantage and therefore (in reply to @Stavingo's question) I don't think it's likely that R* will have even considered view-locking.

Yeah, I obviously went past his post, woops :lol:

But you'd be surprised at how much 3rd person can help in some situations, you should check out some DayZ videos and you'll see what I mean 👍

I agree with being able to see more, hence "better situational awareness", but, I play ALOT of BF3, and I can't say that 3rd person view would really help much. The "immersion" and being able to really get a feel for how your gun handles, outweighs being able to peak around and over stuff. Hence they both offer advantages and they offer no advantage over each other...

All in my opinion of course.

It will, however, be interesting to see how they implement the blind fire action. Something that only really works in 3rd person if you actually want to hit anything.

I agree with being able to see more, hence "better situational awareness", but, I play ALOT of BF3, and I can't say that 3rd person view would really help much. The "immersion" and being able to really get a feel for how your gun handles, outweighs being able to peak around and over stuff. Hence they both offer advantages and they offer no advantage over each other...

All in my opinion of course.

It will, however, be interesting to see how they implement the blind fire action. Something that only really works in 3rd person if you actually want to hit anything.

Different reports state that 1st and 3rd person options will be highly customisable, for example playing in 1st person mode and as soon as you go for cover the game will automatically switch to 3rd person mode and back to 1st when you leave cover.

I think that would be the only way I'd play in first person. If it wasn't through the entire game and available when I deemed fit. If it is truly customizable, congrats R*.

Different reports state that 1st and 3rd person options will be highly customisable, for example playing in 1st person mode and as soon as you go for cover the game will automatically switch to 3rd person mode and back to 1st when you leave cover.

That makes sense. I hope 1st person shooting from a vehicle is re-enabled, I had to start driving 3rd-person in GTAV (the "chair in the air" view) because of the camera switch.

It was already hard enough for me to hit anything, obviously.

The First Person in GTA V is going to be amazing and is going to make the game way better, especially for the Role player's in GTA V and is just going to make the game even more interesting. It's amazing of how most texture and time and the interior in the cars are very detailed.

Look, PD, no simplified interiors!

More on topic, I think it looks good and I might actually get this game after not playing GTA since... forever ago.

I'll probably be doing an entirely first-person playthrough of the story on next-gen, it looks pretty amazing.

I hope I'm not the only one who will be stealing every car to see what the interior looks like too. :lol:

Well played Rockstar. 👍

This is how you do a port for a game, take a good game, exploit the new console for all its new power, add much more details and stuff and finally add something completely different.

One of the new things is actually a rather insane weapon, a rail gun. :eek:

Imagine firing that in first person. :drool:

I think this is the moment GTA has finally challenged the likes of Battlefield and Call of Duty. If Rockstar can play their cards right, those other FPS games will have a serious problem. There will undoubtedly be players that stick with CoD/BF just because they like the feel of those games. Now, Rockstar is able to attract more players from those series who are used to FPV and have years of experience with it, so they can easily drop into GTA V.

The comments section is full of ebola (as always).

Fixed. ;)

I think this is the moment GTA has finally challenged the likes of Battlefield and Call of Duty. If Rockstar can play their cards right, those other FPS games will have a serious problem. There will undoubtedly be players that stick with CoD/BF just because they like the feel of those games. Now, Rockstar is able to attract more players from those series who are used to FPV and have years of experience with it, so they can easily drop into GTA V.

I predict more screaming kids on the mic in various GTA Online lobbies 5 months from now

Fixed. ;)
Whilst I agree that it will help long term, hardcore FPS players adjust to GTA, I cant see it taking any hardcore players away.

People play COD for the fast paced, paintball like action. Non stop killing opportunities, served on a plate.

People who play battlefield want a shooter with a hint of realism, and the options available in regards to vehicles.

The way GTA plays, in my opinion, isn't fluid enough. The character doesn't always do exactly what you want him to do etc.

I love the way GTA gives you endless options, but set in the open world, its much more sandbox, with lots of guns, than shooter, with lots of vehicles.

I love myself a good FPS, so I honestly cant see GTA ever being the only FPS I play.

(I tried not to mention it, but until servers can be locked to free aim, GTA cant even begin to call itself a proper FPS)

After a few hours of installation (yes, it took that long) I finally got to play a bit this morning before leaving to work. Changing the views consist of pressing the center pad, the FP view is pretty insane. One thing that will pop out instantly to anyone who plays the game, is the visual fidelity. EVERYTHING looks so much more crisp, so much more detail, the roads, the faces, the cars. It is interesting and I am counting the hours to get back home to give it another go.

Lots of new animations as well, like the ability to slouch down in the car when getting shot at. Driving in 1st person is certainly cool, you can look around inside the vehicle etc.

I only played the game for about 15 mins, so my initial thoughts won'y bear much weight until everyone else starts to play. Please bear in mind though that the install time is pretty long. about 3+ hours. Well worth it though. :)

Anyone tried playing FPS online?

Just curious to see what they're doing online with the whole 1st person vs 3rd person view sorta thing and how they're gonna balance/deal with it.

Back