GTA Online Thread (Useful Links in OP)

• Thread starter dhandeh
  • 42,329 comments
I got the same thing, kinda worried me to unplug it while it was still turned on.

This online launch is turning out to be the worst one I've seen. The Social Club is down too so I'm assuming their servers are offline or at least partially.

By the way, anyone else hate the character creation? Took me nearly an hour and I hate the way he looks. Way too much into it in my opinion, this is the exact reason why I hate the Sims.

Edit: I joined the GTP crew too :).

Agreed. Well done Rockstar. If you can't maintain a stable website without it crashing every 30 minutes, what chance have you got managing full-fledged online servers?
And yes the character customization is really awkward. I managed to make somewhat of a decent character, but then...server time out...booted to single player...lost character.
I cannot believe just how bad the servers are today.

For sure Paul! I'll be as grandiose in planning as Lester but with no execution. It'll be a brilliant fireball of fail, should be fun.

And about this launch not being so... launchy. Yeah, I don't think any big launch as ever worked. There's no way to anticipate the epic bottleneck their servers are encountering right now, tech just doesn't exist. Just be thankful it's free and it'll work fine in a couple days once kinks are ironed.

Sucks for XBox live users, I hear they're down.

The BF3 launch I remember being like this as well, and don't even mention Sim City... and they both had big betas!

GTAO could've done well to stress test their systems with an open beta with a small demo level. But maybe they knew that would be futile since they sold over a billion dollars worth of the game so there'd be no way to really brace for the opening of the flood gates. Just gotta take the initial hit and pick yourself up after that.

I just messaged a guy on my friends list to happened to get online. He told me it was incredibly glitchy. Cars would randomly disappear, the mic quality was really bad, and the amount of lag was crazy.

The BF3 launch I remember being like this as well, and don't even mention Sim City... and they both had big betas!

GTAO could've done well to stress test their systems with an open beta with a small demo level. But maybe they knew that would be futile since they sold over a billion dollars worth of the game so there'd be no way to really brace for the opening of the flood gates. Just gotta take the initial hit and pick yourself up after that.

Thing is though atleast you were able to get into a few matches back then, here you cant do anything at all.

US Government shut down, GTA Online is "up:"
e6niI8W.jpg

New message for me this time.

"The rockstar cloud servers are unavailable right now. Please try again later"

Haven't seen that one before. Did they shut it off?

New message for me this time.

"The rockstar cloud servers are unavailable right now. Please try again later"

Haven't seen that one before. Did they shut it off?

That's the only one I ever got. Didn't realise there was a different error to be honest.

I got a really funny "Social Club Error - Success" message in the pause menu.

Had the game lock up once right after saving my created character. Reloaded, he was gone, so I made another one that stuck. Did a solo Online game to try to increase the chances of success, and that caved right after I walked into the first mission. It then corrupted my character save. When I tried to make a new one, the whole game locked up at a black save screen; luckily, it was for GTAO, not my V main save.

Just gonna not bother for the next few days, hopefully it gets fixed.

Well tried again, timed out so like some others am going to leave it for a couple/3 days or so and have another go. I was expecting this so am not too bothered.

I tried to join a session and got a "Timed out joining session". I've also been getting the "Social Club Error - Success" message when trying to look at crew info. I might wait until the weekend to try again.

FF XIV had this same exact problem. I know that by Friday or Saturday, logging into GTAO will be much better.

I believe I've gotten all the error messages 10 times(i'm being serious). As well as 2 freezings, 1 instance when the blue thing wasn't even there, and had to re-do and overwrite the character 4 times.
Woke up at 6 am, tried to get on it until 8:45, and again from 11:15 to now. Not a single online player(or event) has been seen 👎

I can see online suffering from a severe case of same face online due to R* not just implementing an actual character customization model.

If you folks want a good laugh, there's loads of funny/trollish posts over at GTAForums. :lol:
People are PISSED! :scared:

If you folks want a good laugh, there's loads of funny/trollish posts over at GTAForums. :lol:
People are PISSED! :scared:

Hopefully no one gets the idea to incite MORE chaos by DDOS'ing the GTAForums and Rockstar web pages.

Agreed. Well done Rockstar. If you can't maintain a stable website without it crashing every 30 minutes, what chance have you got managing full-fledged online servers?
And yes the character customization is really awkward. I managed to make somewhat of a decent character, but then...server time out...booted to single player...lost character.
I cannot believe just how bad the servers are today.
And what on earth do you or the idiots at GTA Forums expect? There are more than likely over 3 million people trying to log on all over the world in a sandbox game. Give them more than 12 hours, jesus....

Hopefully no one gets the idea to incite MORE chaos by DDOS'ing the GTAForums and Rockstar web pages.

There are loads of people on GTAForums who are claiming to "Trade in their copy because Rockstar sucks at online" and stuff like that. At first I was angry at the fact that GTA Online is pretty much braindead, but now I've calmed down; a good dose of funny YouTube videos and a hot cup of coffee eased the pain.
Anyway, if these supposed people are trading in their games...that's great! More bandwidth for us! :lol:

And what on earth do you or the idiots at GTA Forums expect? There are more than likely over 3 million people trying to log on all over the world in a sandbox game. Give them more than 12 hours, jesus....

I expected something that was at least playable. I wasn't expecting a perfect experience. The fact that they delayed the launch of GTA Online for two weeks then release this broken-down dysfunctional mess is why many are upset.

I expected something that was at least playable. I wasn't expecting a perfect experience. The fact that they delayed the launch of GTA Online for two weeks then release this broken-down dysfunctional mess is why many are upset.
And judging by the sound of it, it is playable. There are just some glitches & the obvious case of not everyone being able to join a server.

Many are upset & that's fine, but many are also being completely unreasonable in their "demands". Those upset at GTA Forums aren't worth mentioning, either.

And judging by the sound of it, it is playable. There are just some glitches & the obvious case of not everyone being able to join a server.

Many are upset & that's fine, but many are also being completely unreasonable in their "demands". Those upset at GTA Forums aren't worth mentioning, either.

Agreed. It seems that some are able to access online, but only for a maxiumum of an hour before the server craps out.
Apparently, those on PSN can't get past the 1st mission, while those on XBOX Live can't get past the 5th mission.
Ah well, I guess I expected a tad too much for a launch this big. I admit my wrongfulness. I'm gonna move on.

What did they expect? I think R* shot themselves in the foot with the 2 week delay, most people have completely the story, and have been itching to see what online is like, the day it comes live everyone tries it. So the servers have a meltdown.

If online had been live from the release date, people would be torn yes, but some would want to complete the offline first, others would dabble between the two. Meaning traffic online wouldn't be as high as it is now.

It seems like a strange decision by R* to do this, have they every given a reason for it?

If online had been live from the release date, people would be torn yes, but some would want to complete the offline first, others would dabble between the two. Meaning traffic online wouldn't be as high as it is now.

Ooh good point. And now that schools in America are letting out for the day, it's only going to get worse.
Perhaps we could try and access GTA Online around like 3AM or something. I'm up for it. If it works I'll let you guys know.

According to 1 person who has gotten online, here's the sub-menu from the back button.
Pressing start brings up your menu like in SP, the map, online, friends, etc.

The back button menu is small and neat, the options are:

Quick GPS
Inventory
Impromptu Race
Action (This is where you can smoke, flick people off etc)
Player mood (Make yourself look happy, sad/what ever)
Enable passive mode (This costs $100)
Highlight player (Makes the blips of selected players flash or a short time)
Request personal vehicle (Get your car back or delivered)
Empty personal vehicle (Not sure, maybe removes players from it? It's greyed out for me)
Vehicle access (You can lock your car if you want)
Chat (Who can hear you)
Kill Yourself (Uhm, kill yourself, pretty self explanatory, this costs $500)
Also said vehicles like the Titan & Annihilator are purchasable.
Post number 6... Click at your own risk. There were other posts that contained profanities.

That user and a bunch of others sound pretty cocky.
The average age of a GTA Forums member is under 18 & believes they are entitled to everything. Pay them no mind, esp. any posts that can't string together simple words & grammar.

Back