GTA Online Thread (Useful Links in OP)

• Thread starter dhandeh
  • 42,329 comments
What did they expect? I think R* shot themselves in the foot with the 2 week delay, most people have completely the story, and have been itching to see what online is like, the day it comes live everyone tries it. So the servers have a meltdown.

If online had been live from the release date, people would be torn yes, but some would want to complete the offline first, others would dabble between the two. Meaning traffic online wouldn't be as high as it is now.

It seems like a strange decision by R* to do this, have they every given a reason for it?

Initially I thought a delay was a good idea, it creates more talk about the game after it's initial release and perhaps those who normally give multiplayer a miss would be more inclined to try it out especially with it's exclusive features.

Anyone had any luck getting on yet? Trying to join public server wont connect to host, I can start a solo session, but the "Race Corona" as Rock* call it is missing. (It was there the first time I tried but when I entered I got disconnected) all I can do is wonder around and beat up peds for petty cash lol.

Also pressing the start button does nothing for me =S when in a solo session. But maybe that's cause it's glitched out right now and wants me to enter the race that exists in a parallel universe.

While we wait, why not listen to some relaxing music. GTA Online will be here before you know it.

How do you make a character that doesn't look like he was birthed from the anus?

I eventually got a character created but I kept getting the message "Failed to host a GTA Online session" when I tryed to get in a server. Hopefully this disastrous start gets cleaned up by the weekend.

People are hoping for a weekend fix? The time of the week where all the kids aren't in class?

I'd be up for it.

Yes, I was in a lobby with about 8 guys for an hour or so this morning.

Sweet, do you wanna make it or do you want me to make it? My gamertag is JeffC6_R if you wanna add me.

So far I've managed to create a character and have him show up in the character wheel. That's about it, when I walk over to the first race it craps out. I give up for now, I'll try again later tonight.

I am very disappointed, I've completed the game almost 98% with only the knife flights left to do, this is where online (in any game) is suppose to hold you over.

I read an interesting article:
From Rockstar:
One thing we are already aware of, and are trying to alleviate as fast as we can, is the unanticipated additional pressure on the servers due to a significantly higher number of players than we were anticipating at this point – we are working around the clock to buy and add more servers, but this increased scale is only going to make the first few days even more temperamental than such things usually are.

Source The Guardian.

Sooo, even though they knew how many people bought the game and how big of an event this would turn out to be, they didn't think to have enough power to support all of them? What a shame. And people thought PD was bad.

^There was absolutely no way there wasn't going to be issues at day one. The quoted phrase is quite generic.

BTW the same will happen with GT6.

How do you make a character that doesn't look like he was birthed from the anus?

I cycled through the randomly generated characters and it offered up a reasonable one. I spent 20 minutes trying to make my own, most of them had a face that only a mother could love and would have had to have been fed with a catapult from 100 yards when it was a baby.

^There was absolutely no way there wasn't going to be issues at day one. The quoted phrase is quite generic.

BTW the same will happen with GT6.

Issues are one thing but absolute instability is another. Like others have mentioned, a glitch/lag or time out here and there is tolerable but when you can't access anything or get passed a single mission, there's a problem here.

Edit: I highly doubt this will happen to GT6, half will play offline in the beginning where the other half will go online right from the start. This will relieve a lot of server stress, unlike GTA 5 where they open up online when everyone's done the game.

I made a white transvestite version of Big Freedia whose dad is John Marston. :lol:

I think the Solo missions is broken. It gave me the "Failed to join job" screen and froze my PS3. But, that can be easily remedied by simply selecting a Friends only or Invite Only lobby.

I'm constantly stuck on 'Launching Session' and have been attempting to get online for the last 4 hours now. It's not looking good. They should take down all of the servers and get everything in order now that they're aware of the kind of usage they can expect. Also, whoever decided that you would be forced to do a race the moment you tried to get online needs firing. What an awful decision.

Now I really have to finish the single player in time for the weekend. I want to try the online but I will hold off for awhile until things get sorted out a bit. I hope you can buy a house with a 10 car garage, that would be awesome.

Ha, ya it's a big mess right now... I can't even get to the first race without the game crapping out...

Ha, ya it's a big mess right now... I can't even get to the first race without the game crapping out...

The first race seems to be what's causing the problems, everyone I have spoken to who was able to get past that point has been playing uninterrupted for hours now. Why the hell do we need more tutorial levels when we've been playing the game for 2 weeks anyway?

Social club has never been stable since it was launched anyways though.

I gave up trying to get online today. I'll try again tomorrow but I doubt much improvements.

With Grand Theft Auto Online you and your friends can see the great landscape of San Andreas as you wait to be inevitably kicked from our servers.

So far I've managed to create a character and have him show up in the character wheel. That's about it, when I walk over to the first race it craps out. I give up for now, I'll try again later tonight.

I am very disappointed, I've completed the game almost 98% with only the knife flights left to do, this is where online (in any game) is suppose to hold you over.

I read an interesting article:
From Rockstar:

One thing we are already aware of, and are trying to alleviate as fast as we can, is the unanticipated additional pressure on the servers due to a significantly higher number of players than we were anticipating at this point – we are working around the clock to buy and add more servers, but this increased scale is only going to make the first few days even more temperamental than such things usually are.

Source The Guardian.

Sooo, even though they knew how many people bought the game and how big of an event this would turn out to be, they didn't think to have enough power to support all of them? What a shame. And people thought PD was bad.

Rockstar's comment makes no sense??? how can they not anticipate that every person who bought a copy would be trying to get online at the same time? Its obvious that everyone was going to go for it all at once after being made to wait 2 weeks :lol:

Rockstar's comment makes no sense??? how can they not anticipate that every person who bought a copy would be trying to get online at the same time? Its obvious that everyone was going to go for it all at once after being made to wait 2 weeks :lol:

But there's those who don't like/have online, those who aren't bothered and those that have given up on it after 2 weeks. They obviously thought they could get away with having less servers and save money as a result.

The game sold in much bigger numbers than even R* expected. Yes that was 2 weeks ago but adding servers and generally upping capacity isn't a five minute job.

The game sold in much bigger numbers than even R* expected. Yes that was 2 weeks ago but adding servers and generally upping capacity isn't a five minute job.
Of course, but it appears a lot of people lack such common sense. Or have somehow gotten it in their head that all Rockstar did after V was released, was go to the bank counting their billion & take a big 2 week vacation. :rolleyes:

Back