GTHD Drift trial Tire Preference

• Thread starter dking
  • 17 comments

Favorite Tire Compound to drift

• Total voters
What is your favorite tire compond in general to drift?

Choose your Favorite compounds and tell us why!

Mine were n3 and the s tire range. Maybe its because I am on the dfp and prefer more grip on the cars.

On the majority of cars i generally prefer the N1, but sometimes i change it up depending on how i'm feeling.

I used to use N3's, but found that drifting using the controller (don't have a wheel) was too difficult to come out of corners. I use N1's now...and I prefer AWD cars.

Yeah I use the controller, using s3 front and s2 backs on the AWD cars, AWD is the only thing I tried to drift in the game other than the DC5, the DC5 actually does decent.

On the majority of cars i generally prefer the N1, but sometimes i change it up depending on how i'm feeling.

You're crazy! I find it almost IMPOSSIBLE to controll cars with N1 tires, lol. I've tried, but I can never do it!

I usually stick to S3 for my fronts and S1 for my rears. I have trouble keeping controll of the car, so putting softer tires up front helps me keep from losing TOO much control, but makes it harder to "slide" the car, more practice and maybe I'll pick it up!

You're crazy! I find it almost IMPOSSIBLE to controll cars with N1 tires, lol. I've tried, but I can never do it!

I usually stick to S3 for my fronts and S1 for my rears. I have trouble keeping controll of the car, so putting softer tires up front helps me keep from losing TOO much control, but makes it harder to "slide" the car, more practice and maybe I'll pick it up!

Having such a difference in tire choice could make your car pretty unstable. You should try N1s for a while until it isn't so hard, then switch back to your normal tires.

Having such a difference in tire choice could make your car pretty unstable. You should try N1s for a while until it isn't so hard, then switch back to your normal tires.

I think you're right. I've been experimenting more, and the only cars I can effectively drift with using that setup are the 4WD cars, anything else just doesn't seem to be consistent.

Later tonight I'll try to drop down to N3's or something, slowly break myself into N1's. It's just really REALLY tough for me, but it's definately because I'm not getting the car sideways at a decent moment.

What usually happens, is the car doesn't break out early enough, so I end up trying to "break it out" myself by hammering the throttle, then letting off so the tires slide, but what generally happens is the car has a tiny amount of push, and bring the back end around too much w/out the front end sliding as much (even when using S1/S1 combos). I just need more practice throwing the weight of the car into the drift making it get sideways.

I think you're right. I've been experimenting more, and the only cars I can effectively drift with using that setup are the 4WD cars, anything else just doesn't seem to be consistent.

Later tonight I'll try to drop down to N3's or something, slowly break myself into N1's. It's just really REALLY tough for me, but it's definately because I'm not getting the car sideways at a decent moment.

What usually happens, is the car doesn't break out early enough, so I end up trying to "break it out" myself by hammering the throttle, then letting off so the tires slide, but what generally happens is the car has a tiny amount of push, and bring the back end around too much w/out the front end sliding as much (even when using S1/S1 combos). I just need more practice throwing the weight of the car into the drift making it get sideways.

It seems like you at least understand what's going on. I personally think that if you can control the weight and movement of the car with the lowest amount of grip possible, it's easier to change to higher grip than the opposite.

It seems like you at least understand what's going on. I personally think that if you can control the weight and movement of the car with the lowest amount of grip possible, it's easier to change to higher grip than the opposite.

You have a very good point, lol. I think it's more a factor of me being intimidated :P I get very frustrated when I counter steer too much, or give it too much throttle and break out of my slide and turn it into a spin out.

The one car I absolutely fear is the Ferrari, it seems nearly impossible to control! With more practice, maybe I can do it, but man, it's tough...

You have a very good point, lol. I think it's more a factor of me being intimidated :P I get very frustrated when I counter steer too much, or give it too much throttle and break out of my slide and turn it into a spin out.

The one car I absolutely fear is the Ferrari, it seems nearly impossible to control! With more practice, maybe I can do it, but man, it's tough...

the main problem is usually people reacting too fast, so that makes a lot of sense. you should just get in a nice relaxed mood and have a lot of fun doing it. the thing about the Ferrari: it's got amazingly strong brakes, so steering while braking is nearly out of the question. it's also pretty heavy, but it is VERY sticky. just keep practicing, i believe in you!

the main problem is usually people reacting too fast, so that makes a lot of sense. you should just get in a nice relaxed mood and have a lot of fun doing it. the thing about the Ferrari: it's got amazingly strong brakes, so steering while braking is nearly out of the question. it's also pretty heavy, but it is VERY sticky. just keep practicing, i believe in you!

nearly out of the question but not really...braking drift in the ferrari is very effective. Grip in drifting isn't necesarrily a bad thing....if you can get the car drifting with a stickier compound, I don't see any reason to move to a less grippy compound....unless you want to go slower that is.

nearly out of the question but not really...braking drift in the ferrari is very effective. Grip in drifting isn't necesarrily a bad thing....if you can get the car drifting with a stickier compound, I don't see any reason to move to a less grippy compound....unless you want to go slower that is.

the amount of understeer is very hard to handle in the ferrari if you don't know what you are doing, and yes, if you get used to the sticker compound you can move down to a less grippy one, but the point of putting on less grippy tires is to fully immerse yourself in a more difficult way of drifting, so you will be more comfortable with the stickier ones and can concentrate more on technique, rather than just keeping the car on the road.

the amount of understeer is very hard to handle in the ferrari if you don't know what you are doing, and yes, if you get used to the sticker compound you can move down to a less grippy one, but the point of putting on less grippy tires is to fully immerse yourself in a more difficult way of drifting, so you will be more comfortable with the stickier ones and can concentrate more on technique, rather than just keeping the car on the road.

I have a feeling our approaches differ with our input devices...i am guessing that u are driftin with the sixaxis...
I use the DFP and all i get in the ferrari is oversteer...I think drifting with higher grip tires is more difficult than less grip...I mean even if u ask d1 drivers...I bet that most would opt for more grip from their tires...

I have a feeling our approaches differ with our input devices...i am guessing that u are driftin with the sixaxis...
I use the DFP and all i get in the ferrari is oversteer...I think drifting with higher grip tires is more difficult than less grip...I mean even if u ask d1 drivers...I bet that most would opt for more grip from their tires...

Well grippier tires are better, and in the long run harder to master, but easier to control for a very novice drifter. Whenever I've successfully taught a friend to drift, I've given them a super hard car to with super slippery tires to play with until they absolutely cannot stand it, or they learn from it, then give them a more grippy setup. They then feel more comfortable just playing like that and have fun, getting them in the mood to drift. Then they realize how hard it is like that and opt for slippery tires, and ultimately go for a more grippy tire setup, somewhere inbetween, for maximum control.

You're probably right about the DFP, I have to feather the hell out of the brake in order to not lock them up front.

I say take every bit of advice and do what seems most logical for your exact situation. There are so many different ways people learn, and so many little things in a person's past that may or may not affect their understanding of drifting. I think you actually have a more logical point, but I was just trying to help out the way I have successfully helped in the past. I'm glad there are other people with solid points of views that can give positive input though:)

Though I'm not and never been a fan of drifting, I have to admit that I've tried some cars on the Drift Trial mode on GTHD. I started using the Infiniti G35 Coupe for a lap on S1 tires and I got the hang of it pretty good; After that I tried the Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano on N1 tires and I don't think I could have made a worse decision, I wasn't able to control the car not even when I was going at a slow speed. Way too much over steering and a successful simple drift around a curve seemed like an almost impossible milestone to reach.

I said forget it, I'm using the S1 and now the car controls a lot better and drifts a lot better. :)

S1s do the job for me.

Latest Posts

Back