GTP Code of Conduct: Guide for online racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had some amazing races around the high speed ring reverse really early this morning. There was some really good players on there havin clean races.

Here are a few clean drivers.

Welsh007
Carrotman or something like that.
LoircR1 or something like that.

I was in my red ferrari 430. My user name is Kas

I'm sorry that you think that this is some sort of super-mod nepotism, but I am justified in saying that these people are clean racers because I have raced against them personally at GT4 LAN's, both in the UK (against Race Idiot, Smallhorses, Famine, daan and many others) and in the US (jump_ace, Smallhorses). I didn't say I had raced them online in GT5P, but I have raced against them personally in an almost identical scenario where the exact same rules of acceptable behaviour apply...

This is why I am skeptical of the black list and suggested the white list in the first place - because from my experience of 4 separate LAN events, I know that people make mistakes or occasionally pull dodgy moves, and I know that it is not usually a hanging offense (although I do hear that Sukerkin has a Samurai sword on hand to deal with particularly troublesome opponents).

The first set of folks that I have recommended are people that are, IMO, deserving of being white-listed on the strength of my personal experience of racing against them at Gran Turismo, since they take particular care to race cleanly.... for the sake of brevity, I only mentioned a few people from an otherwise longer list because they have PSN ID's. In the case of Smallhorses and Race Idiot (and I should have also included several others, including VEXD), who I point out do not have PSN names yet, I was merely making it known that I found these members of GTPlanet to be exceptionally courteous drivers, and hence also worthy of being added to anybody's PS3 Friends list if it's a clean race you are looking for...

Anyway, feel free to take or leave the post. Not every post a moderator makes needs to be read as if it's a decree from on high - I am a regular GTP member first and a moderator second after all. You are, of course, correct if you detect a hint of bias in my post, but that's kind of the idea - not only are these guys fair drivers, they are also really good drivers too and I enjoy racing them, despite the fact that they are all capable of whipping my butt. The whole point of this thread is to recommend people who you have raced against on the strength of your own biased, personal experience with them, and that's exactly what I've done.

Fair enough, but it's hard not to notice if someone is a moderator or not when you check who made the post. Seems to be a difference in interpretation of this thread then. This thread is opened in the GT5 Prologue section, so I may assume you're only supposed to propose drivers who actually play Prologue online and if you play Prologue online yourself ofcourse. That's why I think your post is off-topic and being a super moderator it's something you should pay extra attention to when posting, also when you're not acting as a moderator. Add to that that people may think you're abusing your status as a super moderator.

I'm a seasoned LAN driver myself as well and I know a lot of drivers/buddies that wouldn't misstand on this list. Only when everybody starts proposing their friends, or people they had good experiences with in the past, to be placed on this list, this list completely loses it's purpose and will become more of a status symbol. Since you can't make private rooms yet, I can imagine you want to get some sort of idea what type of people you're up against when you enter a race. It makes no sense then placing drivers on the white list that you won't be even able to encounter online.

Although I agree that names should only be put on that list after having raced online with someone that 'nominates' them, I also have to say that, many of those names have been brought up once by some "random" member.
What proof is there that that person is in fact a clean driver? Remember that. I'm not claiming it's BS, just reminding that, as there's a black list in which anyone can throw a name in saying "this guy is a basher", and getting that person on a "to avoid" list, same thing can happen here (reversed), based purely on a single comment made by a member, without any evidence whatsoever.
For all I know, people have registered on GTP, threw their PSN-ID on the white list and voilà. Instant "glory".

So, I wouldn't be so quick in accusing anyone (moderator or not) of trying to get anyone on that list, because, as far as I know, that has actually happened with at least a few names on that list.

Basically you're telling us that you trust more on the nomination of someone by a 1-post member than by a long-time member, that has nothing else to prove here, by naming other fair and trustworthy members as clean drivers, and even having evidence to back it up.

First of all, I don't make a difference between a first post member and a long-time member. It may occur that a first post member wants to have his best friend on the list, but that may not have any influence on the first time poster that uses this thread as it should be used.
Drivers that are placed on the white list, but don't belong there, will have more nominations for the black list soon anyway. No real need for proof there. That problem will solve itself.

Regarding the 'accusations' on the address of Touring Mars, please read my explanation above.

Fair point about the Prologue side of things, but I fully anticipate seeing most if not all of these people online in Prologue in the future anyway. Is it not hard enough to find a decent race without removing the names of proven and personally recommended drivers? I agree that it makes no sense putting people's names on the list who are unlikely to ever play Prologue... but of all the people I know who play GT the most, and who are most likely to be available for Prologue races soon, it's these guys. However, if the thread starter feels that currently unavailable drivers shouldn't be on the list, then he is at liberty to remove the names he put up there!

I do, however, refute that I'm abusing my status as a moderator, as I fail to see how my being a moderator has anything to do with it. Suggesting that my recommendations are "off-topic" simply because they are not specifically about Prologue is missing the point ever so slightly. I thought that the real topic/purpose of this thread was to provide a list of verified GT drivers who you'd be happy to add to a race?... Surely my ample experience of racing against GTP_daan at GT4, for example, is a good enough indicator that, if GTP_daan were to attempt to join a Prologue race with white-listed drivers, he would already be considered a white-listed driver himself because he has already been vouched for? Arguably, my recommendation (as someone who has raced him a hundred times) is far better/more informative than some random bloke saying "Yeh, I had a good race with GTP_daan once, please add him to the list..."

L-POWER - stuck to racing line didnt ram and let me pass when there was a chance, good soilid driver no eratic behavore, and extramly quick!

Top of race!

Fair point about the Prologue side of things, but I fully anticipate seeing most if not all of these people online in Prologue in the future anyway. Is it not hard enough to find a decent race without removing the names of proven and personally recommended drivers? I agree that it makes no sense putting people's names on the list who are unlikely to ever play Prologue... but of all the people I know who play GT the most, and who are most likely to be available for Prologue races soon, it's these guys. However, if the thread starter feels that currently unavailable drivers shouldn't be on the list, then he is at liberty to remove the names he put up there!

I do, however, refute that I'm abusing my status as a moderator, as I fail to see how my being a moderator has anything to do with it. Suggesting that my recommendations are "off-topic" simply because they are not specifically about Prologue is missing the point ever so slightly. I thought that the real topic/purpose of this thread was to provide a list of verified GT drivers who you'd be happy to add to a race?... Surely my ample experience of racing against GTP_daan at GT4, for example, is a good enough indicator that, if GTP_daan were to attempt to join a Prologue race with white-listed drivers, he would already be considered a white-listed driver himself because he has already been vouched for? Arguably, my recommendation (as someone who has raced him a hundred times) is far better/more informative than some random bloke saying "Yeh, I had a good race with GTP_daan once, please add him to the list..."

I would assume that the perceived abuse of power comes from the fact that if somebody's friends are put on the list as good drivers even though they aren't yet online but purely on a random persons say so, then the list becomes worthless, yet you as a moderator have done just this. Equally the reputation that you have and indeed that made you a moderator in the first place negates this aspect of 'I just wanted my mates on the list'.
But as the topic title is 'list of guys you enjoyed racing with' in the Prologue section, some of those names you proposed without psn's haven't raced and technically shouldn't be on this list.
Having said that, this is nitpicking at best.

had a really good race with Zabeu just now on Suzuka PP650, we had a 3 lap battle and on the last lap all the moves came out, he overtook me on the entry to Hairpin, i overtook him back on the exit going up 200R, braking for Spoon where he gained some on me, he drafted me uptowards 130r where he pulled up on the inside, he went in first inside to outside, i went outside to inside, neck and neck braking for the chicane we brake exactly the same time but the Subaru brakes were better, he overcooked it by 1mm, i took the win in the end and he came a well deserved second. he was in his silver Honda NSX-R with 648PP, nice driving man!!! is he on here? i will add him otherwise and tell him, he's had 2 entries to the white list now.👍

andgeorg is also clean, had a little battle with him but for some reason he stopped at the chicane and let me win? don't know if that was intentional or not because he didn't touch me.👍

I would assume that the perceived abuse of power comes from the fact that if somebody's friends are put on the list as good drivers even though they aren't yet online but purely on a random persons say so, then the list becomes worthless, yet you as a moderator have done just this.
Well, I didn't put their names on the list... indeed that would have been an abuse of my privileges as a mod... I only suggested their names be added to the list, and I gave a reason why. This is pretty far from editting the list myself, which I did not do. The list creator saw fit to add the names on my recommendation, and as I have pointed out, he is perfectly at liberty to remove them again too. In terms of contributing to the value of the thread, I don't think adding the PSN ID's of known quality GT drivers is bringing the value of the thread down...

Equally the reputation that you have and indeed that made you a moderator in the first place negates this aspect of 'I just wanted my mates on the list'.
But as the topic title is 'list of guys you enjoyed racing with' in the Prologue section, some of those names you proposed without psn's haven't raced and technically shouldn't be on this list.
The guys who don't have PSN ID's yet are not on the list... but I'm glad you realise that I nominated the others because I respect their behaviour as GT players. As far as that goes, I could name several people - myself included - who could learn something from these guys about how to race cleanly.

Agnamor was a clean Lotus driver. Very patient and doesn't ram you, and time his passes well. 👍

Also had a great race with TECHART911 in his blue Evo X. I kept making a few silly mistakes at the chicane but hurt nobody in the process and finished 2nd then. Very clean and thoroughly deserved his victory.

Well, I didn't put their names on the list... indeed that would have been an abuse of my privileges as a mod... I only suggested their names be added to the list, and I gave a reason why. This is pretty far from editting the list myself, which I did not do. The list creator saw fit to add the names on my recommendation, and as I have pointed out, he is perfectly at liberty to remove them again too. In terms of contributing to the value of the thread, I don't think adding the PSN ID's of known quality GT drivers is bringing the value of the thread down...

The guys who don't have PSN ID's yet are not on the list... but I'm glad you realise that I nominated the others because I respect their behaviour as GT players. As far as that goes, I could name several people - myself included - who could learn something from these guys about how to race cleanly.

I think it's safe to assume if they race fair on a LAN they will race fair online too.

Is there someone that wants to take over this thread?
Just copy & paste the first post into a new thread & keep going with this?
I'm not going to continue updating this thread after the North American version comes out (maybe I'll start a North American version of the white list).

This is an international list with both Japanese & EU version drivers listed.
Personally I think there should be a different list for each region, that will make it easier to find good drivers you may actually meet online & it'll make it easier to set up private races when they come online assuming they will be region matched too.

hmmm... ok i have mentioned it before and i guess it's useless do it again since everybody assumes(wants?) to have seperated online play, but ever since GT5P is out (dec07) i can play with everyone no matter where they are.
Just played with two friends one from the USA, other guy from Japan in the SAME RACE(!) recently ... no lag ? my internet is slow (2Meg) though. So do you guys think its not possible to get connected between EU PAL and US or JP NTSC versions??? If thats the case, how do you know and why is ?
Actually theres no problem to play over big distance yet, get my point? lol
💡

Hey, thanks! :)

I'm trying to be both "honest" and "fast". :)

I didn't think you were from here, but good to know! yeah that must have been the only race with an elise that i didn't get taken out. of course with other fellow members 👍

Is there someone that wants to take over this thread?
I will keep it updated for a bit... I have also updated the Code of Conduct with Amar212's permission... I've also removed the names I suggested, so as to avoid any accusations of bias!! (but I'm sure they'll be re-added in the future once they get online with GT5:P! :P)

Oh and Zabeu is an absolute gentleman. He accidently hit me on the hairpin at Suzuka so he let me through after. 👍

He did the same to me. He is actually too fair sometime! Yesterday, I was racing in susuka and was 10s in front but messed up the 240 kph corner and spined out. I recovered but started just after him. He stopped at the line to let me win! Of course, I didn't (I made a mistake so I should not win) so I just pushed him accross the line :-)

Awesome set of rules, I'm going to adhere to them from now on. 👍

Could you clarify these two rules though please?

7. Driving line can be changed only once in one duel (going off line and returning to previous line).

I don't understand this whatsoever. As far as I am concerned, I do whatever it takes to get past the guy in front that doesn't result in contact between us, or him being driven off the track somehow. If some guy wants to get past me, then I always let them, because I personally find it easier to race behind someone that in front of them.

8. When approaching the turn/apex of turn, the car which "holds" the inner side of turn has entrance-advantage and other driver(s) must refrain from endangering him by his actions.

This one seems a little unfair to me. There are times when the guy with the inside line is the one in the wrong place, or have I misunderstood this?

For instance, there is that fast corner on Suzuka (before the chicane), and from my experiences, it is best to be as far away from the inside as possible so that you can carry as much speed as you can. If there was a guy on the inside of me, I would have to slow down considerably to let that guy past, even though I would be on the correct line.

I'd say 7 is about defending your position rather than attacking.

As for 8. You pass on the inside therefore if you are there you have "Won" the corner. It's the other guy's job not to run into you at that point.

Awesome set of rules, I'm going to adhere to them from now on. 👍

Could you clarify these two rules though please?

Rule #7 resembles situation on any straight line, as in RL racing. If you're in the lead, and there is car behind you that is tailing you, you can only block it once (AKA change the racing line once). After blocking it once, you have to allow it to overpass you. This rule is part of real-life racing conduct.

Rule #8 resembles any situation when approaching the corner, because in virtual racing people are not aware of their movements as they are in RL racing. Just by watching replays of TOP10 pepole on various tracks you can see how different are their entries to the same turn. This rule challenge drivers to try to always take the inner side of the turn, in order to "claim" their right to go in first. Of course, in RL it would be different, but form our experience in virtual racing, obeying this rule can save many cars from collisions. If you're faster than car that is holding inner side, you'll eventually overpass him later - so this is only precautional rule in order to avoid collisions in corners.

I recommend Strohy32. An really good an fair driver and knows the rules of racing:tup:

to: magburner

Rule #8 (now #14) simply put: don't close the door

You can take whatever line you want into a corner, but if you are outside and someone slips inside under braking, let him be, don't "close the door" on him. As Amar says, you will regain the position later if your are fast. Maybe holding the outside line until the next corner (not easy), or further ahead doing a similar move on another turn.

That kind of clean fight and overtaking is what makes racing good fun.

I will keep it updated for a bit... I have also updated the Code of Conduct with Amar212's permission... I've also removed the names I suggested, so as to avoid any accusations of bias!! (but I'm sure they'll be re-added in the future once they get online with GT5:P! :P)

Thanks!
The question now is do we want one master list like this one or separate threads for the different regions?

After today's racing I nominate DownForDisco as a good racer. Fast, fair and overall an enjoyable racer. Had a couple of races with him on Suzuka.

well,i was trying to contact but your weren't responding last night, so we just played together at Fuji. Great fun:).

GTRP-Wiese should be on the white list: Very fast, very clean (maybe too clean) in his Clio on the daytona road course.

just had a race on suzuka pp650 just now with some guys on here, Turtle_GTRP and another guy with a Red GTR R35 think his name was sprinter or sphinxer(maybe turtle_gtrp might remember?)...we had a 2 lap battle which was pretty clean, i knew the r35 was good on the brakes so i tried to get some distance on you braking into the first corner but i braked a fraction to late and i was off, still finished 4th though. i also raced another GTRP guy but i can't remember his name. i was in the white subaru impreza spec c '05.👍

very fast driving turtle, might have a chance with sticking with you if you didn't have the 111r :)

and ApexRacer is clean too, you might remember me...white subaru

it wasn't me

you sure it wasnt u? thats the name ive got down... i wrote it down striaght after i ifnish and waited for driver to finish :indiff: and thanks for you recommendation by the way i think i remember you in the subaru nice driveing

you sure it wasnt u? thats the name ive got down... i wrote it down striaght after i ifnish and waited for driver to finish :indiff: and thanks for you recommendation by the way i think i remember you in the subaru nice driveing

hmm, you've got me thinking now, it's too far back to remember though. it doesn't sound like something i would do ,whenever i knock someone off i always wait for them. if the guy is on here and i did do it, im sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back