GTP Cool Wall: 1965-1966 Ford GT40 Mk.1

1965-1966 Ford GT40 Mk.1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fun fact:

The Ford GT40's overall design and performance inspired Ferruccio Lamborghini to create the Miura.

I reviewed the car, so i kind of know some parts of its history.
Ferruccio had zero intention of creating the Miura; his passion was in building Gran Tourers to compete with Ferrari. It took Bob Wallace & 2 other engineers working after hours to create the basic car & public reaction to just a rolling chassis before Ferruccio went ahead with it, letting Gandini design the car.

Due to it not being specified whether we were voting on the road car or race car:

Race car: Driving down the street you'd look like a pillock for driving down the street in a race car.

Road car:
Driving down the street you'd look like a pillock for driving down the street in something that looks like a cheap kit car. Which it probably even is.

Uncool.

And, like the Cobra, this is one of the problems I have with it. Almost every GT40 you'll ever see isn't one.
I must be a unicorn then, because I've seen more real GT40s than I have replicas.
can't say near the same for the Cobra's though.

opinions-thumb.jpg

Darn it, I forgot about the kitcar thing when I nominated this. Which I'm baffled that I could forget something like that. Yeah, I can see why people would see that not being cool. Oh well, no car is perfect.

Due to the fact that I used to annually attend both Goodwood Festivals before the prices shot through the roof, I've probably seen most of the actual GT40s still in existence, or at the very least most of the ones on this side of the pond.

I also probably see a replica kit car once every few months.

Also, it's a Ford.

Created to troll Ferrari. An engine note to die for. A winner in LeMans. Impossibly beautiful.

This baby is what the lonely Miura needs.

Back