GTP Cool Wall: 1965-1969 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint 1600 GTA

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jahgee
  • 139 comments
  • 12,700 views

1965-1969 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint 1600 GTA


  • Total voters
    131
  • Poll closed .
Who said anything about hating it? I love the 155.

Why do people find them uncool? Because what's cool about a car you could never drive? The Cool Wall - at least the inspiration for it, from TG - has always been about road cars, not racers. Obviously here, people are free to nominate race cars, but let's be honest, the only people who'd think you'd look cool pulling up to a club/bar/cafe in a race car would be car nerds. Car nerds aren't cool. To everyone else, you'd just look a douche-canoe.
I personally don't judge race cars based on the fact I'll never be able to drive it. I' ll never be able to drive a Huayra (Or pronounce it name, either :p), but It's still a really, really cool car.

And car nerds aren't uncool when you're broke down on the side of the road :p. They might know how to fix it.
 
Another thing I never understood. Why do people hate race cars around here so much?

Man your age is showing, no one hates race cars...

I and others have explained why they are SU
 
Okay then, let me rephrase my question.

"Why are racecars automatically not cool? "
I don't really subscribe to the SUBRC thing but I can see why race cars are seen as such. You can't daily drive them. Even if you tried you would look like a tool to both car people and average Joes.
 
I personally don't judge race cars based on the fact I'll never be able to drive it. I' ll never be able to drive a Huayra (Or pronounce it name, either :p), but It's still a really, really cool car.
But there is theoretical possibility that you will drive the Pagani on a street, but driving race car on a street is illegal and seriously uncool.
 
But there is theoretical possibility that you will drive the Pagani on a street, but driving race car on a street is illegal and seriously uncool.
If I had a race car, I'd race it on a track. I wouldn't be judging it's "Coolness" by the fact it's not road-ready.

Also, If I had a race car, I'd want this one.

Ayrton_Senna%60s_Lotus97T.jpg
 
I'm sorry too, but Alfa magic my rear. A brand has nothing to do with being a cool car or not, much much less a suposed "mistique" around it, which is pretty damn uncool because people go around talking about such stuff when in fact it doesn't matter. If a car is cool, it's just cool, regardless of marque. This could be a Fiat, a Lada or a Daihatsu, yet it would still be cool.
But how?

Everyone here is voting SZ or cool just because it's an old lightweight Alfa. That's not good enough reasoning.



Alright, why don't you tell me what coolness isn't, and then tell me I don't understand coolness when you aren't even giving your own reasons why it's cool. Most people I know would be impressed if I pulled up in a '67 Mustang Fastback or a Ferrari 250. If I pulled up in this old Alfa, half of them wouldn't even know what it is. Not knowing what something is isn't cool. And here you are talking about some mystery reason for the Alfa Magic BS that almost everyone but me here feels makes this car cool. And then you're going on and telling me what that reason isn't.

Apologies if that sounded harsh, I'm just frustrated right now.

The debate is ridiculous. This Alfa is going to be the first car to reach the icebox for no good reason at all. Because Alfa Magic. I feel like I'm arguing with Siri.
I just love how both of you take my original post, and then conveniently cut out the part where I actually justify why it's cool besides JUST Alfa Magic (since I know that you can't just attribute all coolness to a badge, that's silly) and then go on to criticize me for it.

I gave many other examples of why it's cool. Examples both of you decided to cut out.

I don't give a damn if you think it's cool or not. I don't care if you believe in "Alfa magic" or not either. I don't think all Alfas are special, and I'm DEFINITELY not going to attribute all of a car's coolness to it's badge.

I'm also DEFINITELY not going to argue with people who cut up my argument and make it look out of context. Especially after I explicitly stated that I DIDNT want to argue about it with anybody in the first place, another point which both of you conveniently left out of your quotes.

Have a good day.
 
@KinLM -- Sorry. You opened a can when you even mentioned "Alfa magic."
Most people I know would be impressed if I pulled up in a '67 Mustang Fastback or a Ferrari 250. If I pulled up in this old Alfa, half of them wouldn't even know what it is. Not knowing what something is isn't cool.
I say who cares what other people think or know? Fashioning my vote after what I presume their thoughts to be seems like a pointless exercise.

In my view, knowing exactly what something is, because everyone instantly recognizes it, isn't cool. People are stupid; they don't know what's cool. The aggregated tastes of society average out into a hideous blob, and the gems in that muck are basically random -- just look at radio, cable TV, or the front page of YouTube. So something widely recognizable isn't necessarily uncool, either. It just doesn't mean anything.

A car that is interesting and unique/rare/unusual enough for you to say, "what the heck is that?"...that's cool. When you learn something new, that's cool. A car that defies expectations is cool. A car that's quick and incredible, but doesn't necessarily shout it to the world, is cool. These things are all opposed to the idea that a car is only cool if everyone knows what it is.
 
If I had a race car, I'd race it on a track. I wouldn't be judging it's "Coolness" by the fact it's not road-ready.

Also, If I had a race car, I'd want this one.

Ayrton_Senna%60s_Lotus97T.jpg

So then let's just vote on anything monster trucks, bikes, snowmobiles, and on and on. It's quite simple race cars shouldn't (and really don't) belong on a wall that basically runs down the coolness of manufactures cars to some capacity or another.

Race cars are not the same and fall under the same criteria nearly 90% of the time as vehicles that people wouldn't attempt to put on the cool wall. You finding a single purpose vehicle that would probably only find it's hunting ground a few times out of the year at most doesn't make it cool. Though I do understand why certain people think certain race cars deserve to be here due to their sheer impact on the automotive world and there by transcending the race car persona.
 
Oh look, the same people crying about how we're all voting slow 4 bangers as cool and "hating" race cars again.

I loved the comment too about how not knowing something isn't cool. LOL, just because you're too young to know about why old Alfas are generally sub zero doesn't mean the rest of us don't either. :lol:
 
Finally, an Alfa I can say is cool.
 
Are we voting on the street version or the race version? Because the street version has (at least in GT6) 113 hp, and that's not impressive at all.



You mean like this one?

View attachment 204341

Or this one?

View attachment 204342

Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger, Mercury Cougar, Ford Mustang, Pontiac GTO, Chevrolet_Impala,Chevrolet Impala SS, Chevrolet Camero SS, Buick Grand National, Buick Special

Look like bricks and weigh like them too.

This car was affordable and cheap to run and could also be used by the family.
 
Allright. I now know for sure!

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU DO TO SLASH??

First you vote a V8 FORD pickup and a FORD sportscar as meh and this gets a cool!??!?

:p
:lol:

I've said before, it all depends on the vehicle :lol:
 
Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger, Mercury Cougar, Ford Mustang, Pontiac GTO, Chevrolet_Impala,Chevrolet Impala SS, Chevrolet Camero SS, Buick Grand National, Buick Special

Look like bricks and weigh like them too.

This car was affordable and cheap to run and could also be used by the family.

So these look like bricks?
image.jpg

image.jpg


And this doesn't?
image.jpg


:odd:
 
Ford Mustang

Look like bricks and weigh like them too.
Yes, because 2,500 lbs is sooooo heavy. :rolleyes:

How much do you even know about muscle cars? Because more than half of them weighed under 3,400 lbs, which is nearly 1,000 lbs less than some of the pigs that are out now and have similar drag coefficients.
 
The Mustang and Camaro are significantly larger objects than the Giulia. Much more so. That gives them more barge-like qualities than a jellybean Alfa.

That said, not all 60s / 70s Americars were ridiculously large and drag creating, but many were. Just sayin'.
 
The Mustang and Camaro are significantly larger objects than the Giulia. Much more so.

Just sayin'.
They still don't weigh as much as a tank though, which is the point I'm trying to make.

And I think it depends on the generation cars you are discussing. First gen Mustangs are rather large, but not ridiculously large. II's and Fox Bodys are TINY. II's being the smallest Mustang dimensionally.

Camaros are decent size, especially second gens. 3rd gens are the smallest I think.
 
The Mustang and Camaro are significantly larger objects than the Giulia. Much more so. That gives them more barge-like qualities than a jellybean Alfa.

That said, not all 60s / 70s Americars were ridiculously large and dragged, but many were.

Yes, I know, but that doesn't mean they look like bricks.

Just look at the "coke bottle" lines
image.jpg
image.jpg
 
The Mustang and Camaro are significantly larger objects than the Giulia. Much more so. That gives them more barge-like qualities than a jellybean Alfa.

That said, not all 60s / 70s Americars were ridiculously large and dragged, but many were.

But they also have engines that are almost 5 times bigger. That counts for something?
 
Yes, I know, but that doesn't mean they look like bricks.

Just look at the "coke bottle" lines
View attachment 204750 View attachment 204751
You're using one of the largest generation Mustangs as your arguement? :lol:

Granted, I love that car and it's styling, but it's not the best generation you could be using. Granted, that front end isn't as brick like as say a II, but still.
 
Hm, maybe I've tripped over my own words here. I wasn't agreeing with @Grayfox in as much that 60s Americars, a completely unqualified term on its own, are bricks / barges but compared to this Giulia specifically, there is a case to be made. However, and this is something we always come back to, it all depends on two magic words.

Personal. Preference.
 
Hm, maybe I've tripped over my own words here. I wasn't agreeing with @Grayfox in as much that 60s Americars, a completely unqualified term on its own, are bricks / barges but compared to this Giulia specifically, there is a case to be made. However, and this is something we always come back to, it all depends on two magic words.

Personal. Preference.
A-:censored:ing-men.
 
Back