1997-2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ nominated by @ZDUPH
photos_jeep_cherokee_1998_1.jpg

Bodies: 2/4-Door SUV
Engine: 4.0L I6
Power Output: 190 HP
Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic
Drivetrain: Front Engine, All Wheel Drive

Last edited:
I like its honesty. The 2.5 diesel is probably the better choice over here. Cool.

My best friend's mom had one of these. Ohh boy, the memories :)

Plus, it's a good looking Jeep.

Cool.

Will probably do well off-road, but it would be better with a diesel engine rather than an asthmatic I6 petrol. A poor attempt to beat the Land Rover Discovery.

Uncool.

Cheap, simple, rugged. Pretty capable off-roader even when stock. 4.0 I6 is a great engine.

S-Z.

Maybe I've had bad luck, but it seems all of the Jeep Cherokees I've encountered on the road are driven by arrogant chimps who view their car as an extension of their todger.

I've never encountered that, Jeep people seem very friendly around here.

Would have been meh, but the new version, which is crap, makes this one seem more cool. Jeeps are typically coolness-neutral anyway.

Cool.

Meh. I don't care much for SUVs other than the Blazer, classic Suburbans, and of course the coolest, the Bronco.

This one however, isn't as bad as newer ones.

Legitimate off-road capability? Check. Styling that announces exactly what it is, and not a word more? Check. Bulletproof engine that will get you through any adventure you want to take it on? Check.

The combination of the low-revving, torquey engine, a transmission geared for climbing/crawling, and a long-travel suspension made for a slow, poor-riding on-road vehicle.

It lived on for a very long time after almost all other remotely comparable vehicles had been replaced by heavier, softer, less-capable, more "luxurious" blobs.

Endearing, single-minded, uber-capable at the job it was built for. Very, very cool.

Never thought the boxy Jeeps were cool to begin with, though I don't mind the design. But (with the possible exception of the KJ) they're nowhere near as uncool as the indistinct Chrysler lumps that came after. Or as deformed as the current KL Cherokee.

The XJ is not old enough to be a classic yet (well, it is, but it doesn't seem like it is). It's a dirt-common beater vehicle, the SUV equivalent of a rusted Civic, and not especially notable for much other than launching the trend of unibody SUVs, whether you think that's good or bad.

I like the XJ -- I sorta almost had one for my first car -- but the only cool Cherokee is the SJ.

I like the boxy Cherokee's but they aren't cool, mostly because many of the owners think they somehow god's gift to the off-roading community. Also, Jeep Brah's.

jeep.jpg

Uncool.

I like the boxy Cherokee's but they aren't cool, mostly because many of the owners think they somehow god's gift to the off-roading community. Also, Jeep Brah's.

jeep.jpg

Uncool.
i dunno man. I bet it'd be fun to play Madden with him.

Cool. I love this things, and the 4.0 is a tank of an engine. There has been at least 1 at every off road that I've been to, and they sure are capable rigs.

Yikes! 4 litre, turbocharged and only 190bhp? What's the torque? You'd hope it was immense and low down. *checks* hmm 225lbft at 3000rpm, I guess this is 17 years ago now.

Jeeps original CJs, especially the CJ-5, seem like the iconic Jeep passenger car, obviously the military vehicle is even cooler again.

This car seems so far removed from the lightweight car from the war... Don't get it at all - seriously uncool.

The 190 hp I6 was naturally aspirated.... anyway, meh, boring but capable.

Ah ok, that's slightly more forgivable then.

It's not turbocharged...

Anyways the 4.0L is a hell of a motor. The 4.0L and the 4.9L Ford 300 I6 are probably the two best I6's ever built IMO.

Also, for whoever doesn't know, this engine was built by AMC.

Uncool though. The engine saves it from SU.

Back