Torque: 649 lb-ft
Weight: 1570 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Rear-engine, rear-wheel drive​

difference-between-porsche-and-ruf.jpg

road_test_ruf_rt_12s_004.jpg
car_photo_321202.jpg
epcp_1005_07_o+ruf_rt12_s+interior.jpg

I'd rather take a proper 997 Turbo to avoid having to explain to people how RUFs are different from the vanilla Porsches.

Uncool.

I'm not sure whether to like that spoiler on top of the other ducktail spoiler. There are other modern RUFs I would drive over this but this still gets at least a meh from me.

Indeed, and I love it. Is it cool? I'm not sure but we could always look at the king of porsche for advice. Actually I think of two, one being @Stotty and the other we should all know by name as there is a thread dedicated to him.

Sub zero to those in the know. Anywhere from cool to uncool for those who aren't. Seriously uncool if you try to explain it to someone as anything more than a Porsche modified with great attention to detail. Balances out to cool, because it's subtle enough to slip under the radar but fundamentally an incredible car.

Seriously uncool. I don't care what you call it, it's still a Porsche, trying to explain why it isn't will just make people roll their eyes.

Seriously uncool. I don't care what you call it, it's still a Porsche, trying to explain why it isn't will just make people roll their eyes.

Why is porsche insta uncool, or do I misunderstand. Oh I might see now, sorry.

To me there are very few things more exhilarating than driving an old 911, I don't have experience with the modern stuff.

Why is porsche insta uncool, or do I misunderstand.

When I think of modern Porsche, this is instantly what I think the driver looks like:

dr_marc_porsche.jpg

It's either that or it's a middle-age fat guy that wanted to buy something that wasn't a Corvette.

I know not all the owners are like this, but based on the modern Porsche's I've seen they owners almost always fit into either of those categories.

The modern market bothers me as well, usually here it's the midlife guy, but It doesn't make the car uncool to me. As I said though, the old 911's are heaven to drive and that makes the brand super cool to me.

When I think of modern Porsche, this is instantly what I think the driver looks like:

dr_marc_porsche.jpg

It's either that or it's a middle-age fat guy that wanted to buy something that wasn't a Corvette.

I know not all the owners are like this, but based on the modern Porsche's I've seen they owners almost always fit into either of those categories.
giphy.gif

And to think I used to like you!

I like Rufs but they're only cool to people who, and let's be honest, think RWBs are cool. It should always be 'less is more' with Porsches. IMHO the more crap you bolt to them the further from purity they move. I'm voting cool just because of the rarity and I'm a Porsche fan, but in general they're not.

It should always be 'less is more' with Porsches. IMHO the more crap you bolt to them the further from purity they move.

👍

@Joey D; I don't look anything like the pic above... however I am middle aged (50 this year)... but I am not fat ;)

Not sure how relevant RUFs are these days. Porsche seem to cover what RUF used to be known for, ie extreme 911s, themselves with the Turbo S, GT3, GT3 RS, GT2 and GT2 RS. Apart from a little more power and some aftermarket wheels, i'm not sure why anyone would bother with a RUF.

It's a Porsche, it's automatically cool. Though in the pictures in the OP, the green one has definitely got the best rim package.

Not sure how relevant RUFs are these days. Porsche seem to cover what RUF used to be known for, ie extreme 911s, themselves with the Turbo S, GT3, GT3 RS, GT2 and GT2 RS. Apart from a little more power and some aftermarket wheels, i'm not sure why anyone would bother with a RUF.
That's a good point. I'd guess a CTR Yellowbird would always be considered more cool than more recent Rufs. But a lot of that is down to the major (and generally bonkers) difference between that and a top-end standard model of the time like a 930 Turbo.

Seriously uncool. Like showing up to a Mustang show with a Saleen and bragging about the mods done to it that you didn't even do yourself.

So the cool wall accepts tuned cars now?

Meh.

What are you talking about, it's a Ruf, says so on the manufacture sticker and VIN label when you purchase it. It's not a Porsche, Ruf is it's own manufacturer. So unless you're meaning this is a tuned version of a ruf by ruf...then I'm confused as to the point of your post.

Seriously uncool. Like showing up to a Mustang show with a Saleen and bragging about the mods done to it that you didn't even do yourself.

No it's not cause Saleen actually take a car you purchased from Ford and tweak it, if that was all Ruf did, then it wouldn't be considered a manufacture.

It was at this point that I realize long time members of the site still thought Ruf = modified Porsche, rather than the well established long ago and even periodic fact that this isn't the case.

I don't look anything like the pic above... however I am middle aged (50 this year)... but I am not fat

I know you disagree but I think you look like that topgear guy :lol:

Why is porsche uncool by default? I agree with the new fancy ones and the stigma they are associated with but to me, porsche is cool. Most likely because I live in the 70's.

No it's not cause Saleen actually take a car you purchased from Ford and tweak it, if that was all Ruf did, then it wouldn't be considered a manufacture.

It was at this point that I realize long time members of the site still thought Ruf = modified Porsche, rather than the well established long ago and even periodic fact that this isn't the case.
Ruf also takes Porsches and tweak them, making them Ruf conversions if you bring them an actual Porsche. They also manufacture their own cars, using a Porsche chassis/ body, if it's not the CTR3 or other original Ruf cars. Just as Saleen will also sell you a car they manufacture themselves, as well as offering conversions. In other words, both companies will either make you a car from the start, or convert an existing car.

I think there is a very thin line between Rufs having their own vins and Saleens having Ford vins, but my original point
being, they both started from an established chassis, directly from Porsche or Ford (with the exception of their original cars, the S7 or CTR3) and people only (probably) buy them because they are already modified cars. Trying to explaining to anyone why it isn't just a modified Porsche is what makes it uncool. :lol:

Back