GTP Cool Wall: E-Class Coupé. Voting Open

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 87 comments

MB E-Class Coupe

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This was a tough one... I have to say that it doesn't look very good, but it does have that distinctively Benz style to it. So cool, but most definitely not sub-zero.

You really think this car is sleek? It's got huge, bulbous rear panels. Seriously it looks like someone sat on it.

The E-Klasse coupe was designed for a certain crowd much like every other Benz. So the fact that some of you dislike its "looks" is understandable. Its not a toy or a car designed for young people. You'd have to be a true sophisticated enthusiast to apreciate it, much like only certain people enjoy the opera. Some enjoy beer others may prefer an $800 bottle of champaign. Some prefer to commute in hatch backs and while others prefer pretigous grand touring. Do you get the variation of demographic? Eventually one has to mature and realise that Mercedes are not meant to be a 10yr olds wet dream.., thats where AMG comes into play 👍

And yes its very sleek, isn't it quite apparent?

the-new-mercedes-benz-e-class-co-1.jpg

Definately Sub-Zero, Im sure i'll see alot of these on the road in the near future.

Last edited:
The E-Klasse coupe was designed for a certain crowd much like every other Benz. So the fact that some of you dislike its "looks" is understandable. Its not a toy or a car designed for young people. You'd have to be a true enthusiast to apreciate it, much like only certain people enjoy the opera. Some enjoy beer others may prefer an $800 bottle of champaign. Some prefer to commute in hatch backs and while others prefer pretigous grand touring. Do you get the variation of demographic?

And yes its very sleek, isn't it quite apparent?

Hmmm I think I'm an automotive enthusiast and there is no way I can appreciate the E-Class Coupé. It's poorly designed and isn't even an E-Class.

And no, it isn't apparent at all that it's sleek. The Passat CC is sleek, the MB CLS is sleek, the E-Class Coupé is not. The door lines are too high and the roof line is too low making the car disproportioned.

Srsly uncool.

It's ugly. Ugly cars are awful. It'sa Benz. It's hard for me to call any modern Benz cool. It's an
ColoradoElk-500.jpg

Terrible.

People who like wine aren't usually blind. Which explains why the R-Class was such a monumental flop. :lol:

^ Yes I agree, not to mention that the base model alone comes with a normally aspirated 3.5L V6 that produces 268hp.
The 5.5L model, also n/a, has 382hp and 391ft lbs of torque which is more than you'll ever need on the daily basis. Luxury and modern day muscle but, actually efficient and reliable.

Sub-Zero because of the E63 AMG. I like an engine with historical connections with a modern element.

We aren't voting on the E63 AMG. This is also not to mention it is sedan.

^ Yes I agree, not to mention that the base model alone comes with a normally aspirated 3.5L V6 that produces 268hp. The 5.5L model has 382hp and 391ft lbs of torque which is more than you'll ever need on the daily basis.

5.5L only has 382hp? What is it? American?

5.5L only has 382hp? What is it? American?

IF you're not satisfied with that you apparently dont know much about engines. Well, the average 5 liter V8 engine creates between 220-320hp. Actually when refering to my actual realife SB building experience, a gain of over 120hp by boring out the cylinders is an extremely great result. The AMG C63 has a normally aspirated 6.3L V8 and has 451hps which is quite impressive. The 2006 GTO/Monaro has a 6 liter 400hp n/a 10:1 comp. V8 which is great power, so whats wrong with American V8s exactly, please tell us? Cause it seems you may know alot about them, despite the mini on your avatar. I mean despite the fact GM engineers had to use another .5 liters to accomplish what Benz did in their suttle luxury oriented 5.5, its still great engineering and each motor is built for a different reason.

Anyone with basic knowledge of engine building and driveability knows that its not simple (in fact extremely difficult) to produce a high output V8 while staying within emissions regulations and sustaining comfort and daily dependability and drivability. Not to mention the fact you can only have so much compression before you have to start using race fuel, C16, 106 etc, not to mention you'd absolutely fail a 5GA. This is why the 5.5 is not underated its exactly what Benz meant for it to be.

With $1500 I can pic up a SB350 4 bolt main, bore it, hone the cylinders, balance the crank, get forged rods, cast high comp pistons, aluminum heads, or LS1s, port and polish, edlebrock performer mani, and a holley 600cfm carb, build it in my basement and blow the doors off anything you have in your driveway. THANK THE CAR GODS FOR AMERICAN MUSCLE! But you probably dont know much about engine building so I dont blame you for your foolish statement :).

Last edited:
I you're not satisfied with that you apparently dont know much about engines. Well, the average 5 liter V8 engine creates between 220-320hp. Actually when refering to my actual realife SB building experience, a gain of over 120hp by boring out the cylinders is an extremely great result. The AMG C63 has a normally aspirated 6.3L V8 and has 451hps which is quite impressive. The 2006 GTO/Monaro has a 6 liter 400hp n/a 10:1 comp. V8 which is great power, so whats wrong with American V8s exactly, please tell us? Cause it seems you may know alot about them, despite the mini on your avatar.

With $1500 I can pic up a SB350 4 bolt main, bore it, hone the cylinders, balance the crank, get forged rods, cast high comp pistons, aluminum heads, or LS1s, port and polish, edlebrock performer mani, and a holley 600cfm carb and blow the doors off anything you have in your driveway. But you probably dont know much about engine building so I dont blame you for your foolish statement :) .

Perhaps you should look at things a bit less personally and discuss actual points. I do know a decent amount about engines, am I an expert? No not at all. I don't really appreciate being called foolish for no reason, if you disagree use facts, not attacks.

5.5L at 382hp isn't terribly impressive in my eyes, I'm more impressed with a forced inducted small engine putting out numbers greater than that. I'm really not over joyed with most American V8's either in terms of power v. size. There is nothing wrong with them though, they just don't wow me in the slightest.

And just because I have a MINI doesn't mean I don't look at other cars, oh wait according to your initial post in this thread I can't be an automotive enthusiast because I do not appreciate the E-Class. I still would like an explanation on that.

5.5L at 382hp isn't terribly impressive in my eyes, I'm more impressed with a forced inducted small engine putting out numbers greater than that. I'm really not over joyed with most American V8's either in terms of power v. size. There is nothing wrong with them though, they just don't wow me in the slightest.

That is a personal preference, so no need to make a big stink about it every time.

^👍,

But anyway in response to post #42 I dont feel I owe an explanation, but my enthusiasm for cars goes beyond looks.

If I looked at a car and turned it down just based off its exterior design and not educated myself about atleast its engine, chassis, drivetrain, functionality etc. than I would no longer consider myself a true enthusiast.

The way something looks can be argued upon all day, rather its fast, powerful, or has great functionality can be proven factual and unarguable. Which is why I wont get into a pointless squabble about whats pretty, or "cool looking". Its a bit immature and vague for my taste mate.

I dont judge cars on rather they're pretty or not SORRY, its more about is it a great machine overall. The fact some can create biased opinion based off looks alone is quite silly to me. So thats why I came with numeral facts in my previous statement and if they went over your head thats another point proven.

I've said all I feel I have to, this is gotten off topic, and done.

Last edited:
That is a personal preference, so no need to make a big stink about it every time.

Well I made a sarcastic comment, which I suppose got lost with the other post who did make a big stink out of it. My comment was only there to say I don't prefer them and that they don't impress me, I don't care if others do.

Well I dont feel I owe an explanation, but my enthusiasm for cars go beyond looks. If I looked at a car and turned it down just based off its exterior design and not educated myself about atleast its engine, chassis, drivetrain, functionality etc. than I would no longer consider myself a true enthusiast. I dont judge cars on rather they're pretty or not sorry, its more about is it a great machine overall. The fact some can create biased opinion based of looks alone is quite silly to me. So thats why I came with numeral facts in my previous statement and if they went over your head thats another point proven. Im done this has gotten off topic.

Mine dislike goes beyond looks. The chassis isn't an E-Class so it is pretending to be something it is not and the overall aura of the car gives off the wrong feel. I don't just look at a car and go, "it's ugly, therefore uncool". I think I made that very clear in numerous threads already. Plus I think Mercedes have just gotten weak and boring, they remind me of the Toyota of Germany and that is something I don't really find all that cool.

But whatever, I'll be sure to take steps to avoid this sort of confrontation in the future.

^👍,

But anyway in response to post #42 I dont feel I owe an explanation, but my enthusiasm for cars goes beyond looks.

If I looked at a car and turned it down just based off its exterior design and not educated myself about atleast its engine, chassis, drivetrain, functionality etc. than I would no longer consider myself a true enthusiast.

The way something looks can be argued upon all day, rather its fast, powerful, or has great functionality can be proven factual and unarguable. Which is why I wont get into a pointless squabble about whats pretty, or "cool looking". Its a bit immature and vague for my taste mate.

I dont judge cars on rather they're pretty or not SORRY, its more about is it a great machine overall. The fact some can create biased opinion based off looks alone is quite silly to me. So thats why I came with numeral facts in my previous statement and if they went over your head thats another point proven.

I've said feel I have to, this is gotten off topic, and done.

Really? Really?

You can't fix ugly anywhere near as easily as you can fix performance. Hell, it's easier to take something, make it something it was never meant to be (FF to MR or AWD for example), and have a vehicle that ticks all boxes than fix one that ticks everything except style.

The E Class Coupe is simply uncool, every single one I've seen driven here is by an old person. Not saying that being old is uncool, but I guess it just gives the car a bad look. It's stupid looking LED lights don't help.

It's stupid looking LED lights don't help.

Come on, LED's are cool! It's the wave of the future! :lol:

All joking aside, I do like LED's on cars although even I can't say they make you look cool. They are just so unnecessary, but hey that's not stopping me from doing it to my car :lol:.

Well I made a sarcastic comment, which I suppose got lost with the other post who did make a big stink out of it. My comment was only there to say I don't prefer them and that they don't impress me, I don't care if others do.

Mine dislike goes beyond looks. The chassis isn't an E-Class so it is pretending to be something it is not and the overall aura of the car gives off the wrong feel. I don't just look at a car and go, "it's ugly, therefore uncool". I think I made that very clear in numerous threads already. Plus I think Mercedes have just gotten weak and boring, they remind me of the Toyota of Germany and that is something I don't really find all that cool.

But whatever, I'll be sure to take steps to avoid this sort of confrontation in the future.

Thats fine, you're entitled to have your own opinion despite what its based upon. But I have some facts for ya (not opinions).
Uh.., Im not sure if you know this but Toyota is the #1 automobile company in the world, and have been for quite some time now, soooo actually you're complimenting Merc 👍 And actually Mercedes is alot like the Toyota of Germany, because they're the leading manufacturer in their country. Have you ever been to France or London, if so you'd notice Mercedes taxi cabs, they run forever if maintaned on regular schedule so they're perfect for the job. Its even quite common to come across a Mercedes in Iraq.

And by the way those LEDS (light emitting diodes) use less energy than bulbs and have a life span thats thousands of times longer than bulbs, which in lamens terms means, owners will spend less money on service time and replacing them. (LEDs = Efficiency).
You see it has alot more to do with cosmetics, these are the greatest engineers in the world, and arguably the the creaters of the first car.

Really? Really?

You can't fix ugly anywhere near as easily as you can fix performance. Hell, it's easier to take something, make it something it was never meant to be (FF to MR or AWD for example), and have a vehicle that ticks all boxes than fix one that ticks everything except style.

Im not quite sure I understand the point you're trying to get across and this is pulling us further off topic which I dont want. I dont know what you define as ugly and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As a technition myself im not sure I agree with a drivetrain swap being easy at all and im not sure what that has to do with this topic.

But for example theres a few cars I can name that I wouldn't call "ugly" (not a word I use so often, once again abit vague for my taste) but they can be considered unattractive by most, but I would love to own or collect. For one the 89 Box Chevy Caprice or Impala, personally I would love an old police replica or sleeper with an LS7. The '47 Ferrari 125S its not necessarily good looking to me but it was the car that won Ferrari's first victory and its a phenominal milestone in motorsport history. The 71 Jag E-Type, not 'cool' looking but gorgeous in an true enthusiast eyes which im sure some can't relate :drool:.

Now that thats done, back on topic.
My self being a tech and working on my engineering degree I found this video pretty awesome because,
it goes behind the scenes on the developement of the car and it sets them apart from other manufacturers.

Last edited:
Im not quite sure I understand the point you're trying to get across and this is pulling us further off topic which I dont want. I dont know what you define as ugly and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As a technition myself im not sure I agree with a drivetrain swap being easy at all and im not sure what that has to do with this topic.

My point was you saying that in effect, what a car can do means more to you than how it looks to you... When it is in fact easier to fix performance than looks. Yes, it's all subjective, but the way you worded it, you care enough for what a car can do to buy a car you find to be "ugly".

And honestly, a drivetrain swap IS easier than rebodying an entire car to make it look decent. To make the ELK look decent (as an example), every single external bit would have to be changed. To make the old 300CE run and drive like the ELK (or better) would be a matter of some chassis stiffening, suspension work and redone drivetrain. I know I'm "oversimplifying" it, but going that route is something I personally find much simpler. (And is also something I'm doing, but that is for another thread)

But for example theres a few cars I can name that I wouldn't call "ugly" (not a word I use so often, once again abit vague for my taste) but they can be considered unattractive by most, but I would love to own or collect. For one the 89 Box Chevy Caprice or Impala, personally I would love an old police replica or sleeper with an LS7. The '47 Ferrari 125S its not necessarily good looking to me but it was the car that won Ferrari's first victory and its a phenominal milestone in motorsport history. The 71 Jag E-Type, not 'cool' looking but gorgeous in an true enthusiast eyes which im sure some can't relate :drool:.

Caprice: Inoffensive if a bit bland. Add power and it becomes awesome.
Fezza 125S: It'd be very difficult to call it ugly in the least. Are there better? Of course. But it's not bad.
E-Type/XKE: Beautiful to some, awful to others, can't be argued against.

Now then, name a car you actually do find absolutely awful (like to me the ELK in question) that has pretty much everything else covered. Then name something in roughly the same segment that doesn't do everything quite as well. Figure out whether fixing the ugly (including redoing rooflines etc) is simpler than fixing the slow, the poor handling, or whatever the case may be.

And honestly, a drivetrain swap IS easier than rebodying an entire car to make it look decent. .

I dont know what decent is to you, I dont know why you would buy a car and change the body...

I dont understand nor can imagine myself in a scenario where I would be "rebodying" (not sure what that means) a car.
It feels like im repeating myself over and over, my passion/enthusiasm for a car goes beyond cosmetics, and I surely dont know where you got the idea drivetrain swapping is easier than body work, nor am I sure how many hours you've spent under a car or truck but this is what I do for a living.

I have studied automotive technology and have a associates degree in occupational technology.
To tell you from experience simply unbolting a rear end or changing a driveshaft can be an all day job especially if you dont have a lift.
But when your talking about doing a drivetrain swap meaning you're switching the factory layout to one which the chassis is not ment for, theres' fabrication and engineering involved. Not to mention theres a posibility that you could end up with an even crappier car because the new layout is not what the chassis was designed to support.

So forgive me if I disagree with you but I trust my own educated judgement and logic.
Long as I've been in the industry and as many instructors classes ive sat in I've never nor will I ever here anyone say drivetrain work is easier than bodywork or frame work.
In fact if I wanted an easy job in the auto industry I'd be in collision which pays good for the mild labor.

Hey if you feel you're capable of doing a drivetrain swap and you think its going to be easy, or simple at all, go for it 👍 and let me know when reality hits.

Last edited:
This car is pretty neat looking in person. Great interior, great drive. Still isn't cool though. There's just something about it... like it's trying too hard to be a CLK.

Something just doesn't look right to me about the car. I can't really explain it, but it looks wrong to me and looks like it's missing a set of doors.

One thing I dont really get is the whole 'its not on an E class chassis' business. Surely thats a good thing given the C class chassis is a much better starting point for a more sporty car than a massive 4 door?

The CLK has always been aimed as the coupe for the E class range,
mk1: E class front, E class rear on C platform.
mk2: C class front, E class rear again on C platform. (with this model it was the longest car on the platform even longer than the estate. while the front end is in the C class style there arnt that many parts which are common)
mk3: Name change to E coupe bringing the naming into line with how they have already been marketing it, back to E Class style front and rear end, still on a C platform.

Looking at the photo showing it from the rear, it dosnt look quite so bad as from the front, that said its still uncool.

The other issue I have with this (and for that matter the CLK before it) is the back seats. Unless you have a couple of three year old (or less) children they are pointless. There just isnt enough space for an adult to sit in the back. (Certainly in the 2 years we've owned it I can count on one hand the number of times someone has sat in the back) My reason for mentioning this is that as far as I can see the only reason for buying an E Class Coupe / CLK over say an SLK is that you get 4 seats.....
Still its a great laugh to drive (although going too fast over a bridge and having the roll bars popup is a little scary!), it handles nicely and both the V6 and V8 sound great, and in comparison to the BM/Audi competition for 4 seat convertibles I'd go with this at a shot (if I had to have 4 seats). But I would still say that its an uncool car

Thats fine, you're entitled to have your own opinion despite what its based upon. But I have some facts for ya (not opinions).
Uh.., Im not sure if you know this but Toyota is the #1 automobile company in the world, and have been for quite some time now, soooo actually you're complimenting Merc 👍 And actually Mercedes is alot like the Toyota of Germany, because they're the leading manufacturer in their country. Have you ever been to France or London, if so you'd notice Mercedes taxi cabs, they run forever if maintaned on regular schedule so they're perfect for the job. Its even quite common to come across a Mercedes in Iraq.

Toyota = boring to a lot of people, which is my point.

They are also not the leading manufacture in Germany, I fairly sure Volkswagen AG is bigger. Actually I'm fairly certain Volkswagen AG is the biggest in Europe:

Time.com
With annual sales of more than $151 billion, Volkswagen is Europe's biggest carmaker, 16 times the size of Porsche, which generates annual sales of about $9.3 billion.
Source: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1896714,00.html

Yes I have been to London, for an extended period of time too. I never saw one Mercedes taxi cab. They were almost all exclusively this:

new_london_taxi.jpg

There were minicabs and hire cars that were various other things but I can't even remember ever seen a Mercedes, I think for the most part they were Mondeos and various Jaguars.

I have been to France, but only for a short period. I can't comment on the taxis there. I do know in Germany however they use Mercedes for taxis, as do they in a lot of Middle Eastern countries. But I fail to see your point, the Crown Vic is almost exclusively a public service car and taxicab here in the states, it doesn't make it a good car or even a cool car.

And by the way those LEDS (light emitting diodes) use less energy than bulbs and have a life span thats thousands of times longer than bulbs, which in lamens terms means, owners will spend less money on service time and replacing them. (LEDs = Efficiency).
You see it has alot more to do with cosmetics, these are the greatest engineers in the world, and arguably the the creaters of the first car.

*slow clap*

Thank you, without you I'd be lost and wouldn't know anything at all.

:rolleyes:

Uncool. It's not particularly attractive and not even slightly imaginative. The E-Classe is probably the least cool model in M-B's range and making it into a coupe does not make it cooler.

EDIT: And if someone is having to explain how LEDs work and why they're beneficial for the car, that immediately makes is horrifically uncool.

Last edited:
Toyota = boring to a lot of people, which is my point.

Another vague opinion which I sure alot of people would disagree with you on and I wouldn't blame them. Theirs alot of Toyota enthusiast on this site, (Time_Attack for ex.) that probably would want to know how you support your blatant statement. Fact is most people careless about having a fast or fun hot rod. We as enthusiast are a majority and we're out numbered by the people who simply want a commuter thats reliable, safe, and economical. So forgive me if I dont see any meaningful point there :).

Yes I have been to London, for an extended period of time too. I never saw one Mercedes taxi cab. They were almost all exclusively this:

There were minicabs and hire cars that were various other things but I can't even remember ever seen a Mercedes, I think for the most part they were Mondeos and various Jaguars.

Oh sorry, they're there...
new-mercedes-london-taxi.jpg

Paris,
2006-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-Paris-1.jpg

Even China ;)
chinataxi.jpg

Have fun :cheers:

fin.

I can only think of two cool Taxis, ever. One was the Checker Marathon. The other, the LTI TX4.

So, the fact that base-model E-class sedans are used in the same service as Mondeos, X-types, Impalas, and really beat-up Crown Vics, (go to Chicago sometime,) kinda makes them uncool, too.

Back on topic (because being off topic talking about taxis is naughty,) it irks me that Mercedes decided, and, in my opinion, somewhat arbitrarily, to throw out the CLK moniker, when it would have still worked on this car, just to make it seem like a "new" concept. "Same great taste, new look may work for Pepsi," but in the auto world, it doesn't work. It seems incredibly arbitrary in this case, especially when the old product wasn't half bad.

But, Daimler-Benz is somewhat known for bad product decisions...Take a look at the Dodge Caliber.

p.s.: Also, there is NO AMG VERSION OF THE E-CLASS COUPE FOR THE 2010 MODEL YEAR.

Last edited:
Wow... Soprano.. I just want to bow down to your mass knowledge of the car world. You seem to know ever aspect of it, that sure warrants talking down to other members right? How does a Mercedes Taxi make another Mercedes that only shares one thing with it and that's a badge. You don't think the Toyota lineup is boring? Find me one exciting car in this...

09corolla_le.jpg

2009-camry-toyota.jpg

2010priusext.jpg

2010-toyota-rav4-7_460x0w.jpg

2114-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-V8.jpg

I can go on but you guys get the picture... But we are off topic... But I do want to say one thing.. Toyota hasn't been the lead for that long considering it shared #1 with GM before the whole economy spew. And Toyota rose up because he had already brainwashed many countries, its governments and the media think their cars will help this earth from melting.

For me this car is uncool, and nothing about it I think is cool. Its got retired old person car to go to the country club and back and that's about the limit to its use. Yes it may be fast in AMG fashion but bleh.. You don't buy this monstrosity for performance, you buy it for the badge. Thus uncool.. I think seriously uncool butt I can't remember what I voted.

Xenu alive...

If anyone else makes such a boring post as Prosthetic's, I'm handing out Infractions. Right after I get back from this little nap.

Back