GTP Cool Wall: E-Class Coupé. Voting Open

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 87 comments

MB E-Class Coupe

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree, Prosthetic's post bores the pants off of me...good thing this is only a text based forum eh?

I'm still trying to figure out how it relates to the E-Class Coupe.

Well I said Mercedes is now like the German Toyota because it's a boring car company...or at least I think so. Another member disagreed with that.

Eh, I wouldnt' call them the German Toyota...You forget that Opel exists. Yes, I know, technically a GM brand, but definitely more boring than Mercedes.

However, I will agree that Benz is doing the same thing to themselves that they were to Chrysler...Pointless products and poor decisions with current products. The only difference is that they still have halfway decent quality.

Their quality may be good, but as far as reliability goes, Benz consistently ranks among the worst in long-term reliability (5 years and up). Which means that they are making bank off replacement parts and servicing, and using that money to build more boring cars. I must say though, the SLS is the one Benz that I have been waiting for for a while - a Gullwing homage with modern features.

Their quality may be good, but as far as reliability goes, Benz consistently ranks among the worst in long-term reliability (5 years and up). Which means that they are making bank off replacement parts and servicing, and using that money to build more boring cars. I must say though, the SLS is the one Benz that I have been waiting for for a while - a Gullwing homage with modern features.

:lol: Wow that seems like another strong, opinionated, biased, vague, unsupported, but, dictated statement which seem to be pretty common here on gtp. Where exactly did you get these facts from? And how can something be quality built but unreliable at the same time? I think you just contradicted yourself.

My Benz has 170,000 miles on the odo and I haven't had not a single problem. In fact I just drove it all the way from the west coast (Arizona-Michigan). Which was 32hours of road time and had no problems at all and only spent $195 bucks on gas money. I left AZ on a Friday and arrived in MI on the following Monday. Also my car is quite fun I think to be an automatic. It doesn't take much to get it side ways, and its capable of 160mph, but I've only been able to cruise it at 153mph, mainly I think because of drag. But I believe theres a couple vids out there where some guys manage to clock 160mph.

Also my Benz is probably the most simple vehicle to work on I've owned. I do all my own scheduled maintenance and for example the oil filter cartridge is mounted on the front of the block. A week ago I changed the front inner and outer wheel bearings along with the wheel seals on both sides. It took less than two hours and was a simple job if you're familiar with hub assemblies and it only cost me $60. Also the fuel pump, regulator and filter are all integrated in one assembly covered by a skid plate under the rear passenger side which makes for easy accessibility and cooler temperatures which increase the life of the bushings, solenoids and the motor of the pump. Oh yeah theirs not one squeak or rattle in the interior which is common in high mileage vehicles. All the electronics, guages and lights still work perfectly well. I can go on and on about how conveniently engineered my car is for easy serviceability and maintenance. Sorry you've been fed the wrong information pal. Im not trying to convince you or anything, its just I work on cars for a living including my own and it happens to be a Benz 👍.

By the way what type of car do you drive? Because if its a BMW like your name suggest my 99 Benz had far more dependability than its E36 competitor back in their day. I've seen the TSB (technical service bulletins), and recall list for those for them on Alldata (software used by many shops and tech schools and reliable source for vehicle maintenance and service info) and boy is it long. Research is what convinced me not to buy one.

Last edited:
Your old Benz is probably better than 99% of what they have out right now. Interior quality on new Benzes doesn't quite suck... but it's not gee-whiz nice, either... heck... many 80's Benzes felt more special.

The C-Class is Fisher-Price inside, if you're going for the lower variants... better on higher, but you still get the feeling they've cheaped out on something (BMW feels like this, too)... but it's a very, very good car for the class. The S-Class is also very, very good... though not to my tastes... the new E? Nice ride, cramped rear... no real stand-out features for the class... bizarre rising window line (why, oh why? The CLS got this almost right... then they had to raise that greenhouse line another six inches! Madness!)... and those headlamps (I swear, the scrambled eggs were better...). It's just not a memorable, pretty or exceptional car.

But none of that matters in why I voted it seriously uncool. I just did because I can't get excited about it, either way... :lol:

:lol: Wow that seems like another strong, opinionated, biased, vague, unsupported, but, dictated statement which seem to be pretty common here on gtp.

You seem new to the internet... But you will just come back and post me how wrong I am by saying something along the lines of that you've been posting on the internet before I was even conceived so I won't bother.. But this seems like a general assault to the forum.. So if you don't like it here.. Why are you still posting? No one is keeping you.

Where exactly did you get these facts from? And how can something be quality built but unreliable at the same time? I think you just contradicted yourself.
USA Today ranked MB 27/34 in reliability rankings.. Thats good right?

My Benz has 170,000 miles on the odo and I haven't had not a single problem. In fact I just drove it all the way from the west coast (Arizona-Michigan). Which was 32hours of road time and had no problems at all and only spent $195 bucks on gas money. I left AZ on a Friday and arrived in MI on the following Monday. Also my car is quite fun I think to be an automatic. It doesn't take much to get it side ways, and its capable of 160mph, but I've only been able to cruise it at 153mph, mainly I think because of drag. But I believe theres a couple vids out there where some guys manage to clock 160mph.
OMG OMG OMG!!!! You are so absolutely amazing.. will you be my daddy and life mentor? I could use someone who brags about doing illegal speeds which just so happens to go against the AUP. But all that aside... Are you behind a decade? Because this is 2009 not 1999 so don't talk about a car that is well known for being built like a tank.. We all know it as this is a car forum FULL of car enthusiasts.. Some which could likely teach you a thing or two about automobiles.

Also my Benz is probably the most simple vehicle to work on I've owned. I do all my own scheduled maintenance and for example the oil filter cartridge is mounted on the front of the block. A week ago I changed the front inner and outer wheel bearings along with the wheel seals on both sides. It took less than two hours and was a simple job if you're familiar with hub assemblies and it only cost me $60. Also the fuel pump, regulator and filter are all integrated in one assembly covered by a skid plate under the rear passenger side which makes for easy accessibility and cooler temperatures which increase the life of the bushings, solenoids and the motor of the pump. Oh yeah theirs not one squeak or rattle in the interior which is common in high mileage vehicles. All the electronics, guages and lights still work perfectly well. I can go on and on about how conveniently engineered my car is for easy serviceability and maintenance. Sorry you've been fed the wrong information pal. Im not trying to convince you or anything, its just I work on cars for a living including my own and it happens to be a Benz 👍.

By the way what type of car do you drive? Because if its a BMW like your name suggest my 99 Benz had far dependability than its E36 competitor back in their day.
That's great want a cookie?

Now we are completely off topic.. If you want bicker about all this irrelevant information feel free to PM me... But all I see this going into internet tough guy debate about something as simple as is this a cool car or not!

98_mercedes_clk.jpg

REAL+CAR.jpg

clkgtr-04.jpg

CLK's good days :(

]Why are you still posting? No one is keeping you.

Uh, someone said Benzs were unreliable, mines is reliable so I thought I'd share that with them. Why are you still posting? :rolleyes:

normal_Internet-SeriousBusiness.jpg

Im not sure why you feel so offended but take a break and chill bro. Its just a simple discussion and none of my statements were even directed torwards you so I dont even know what you have to do with anything. Nor were my statements intended to offend so relax the internet is not that serious.

OMG OMG OMG!!!! You are so absolutely amazing.. will you be my daddy and life mentor? I could use someone who brags about doing illegal speeds which just so happens to go against the AUP.

Um who said anything about illegal? Have you ever heard of closed course? I've not had a single traffic violation on my record my entire life. Besides my career depends on it.👍

But all that aside... Are you behind a decade? Because this is 2009 not 1999 so don't talk about a car that is well known for being built like a tank.. We all know it as this is a car forum FULL of car enthusiasts.. Some which could likely teach you a thing or two about automobiles.

Thats coo because im willing to learn if its something I've not been taught before... :)

That's great want a cookie?

Certainly!

Now we are completely off topic.. If you want bicker about all this irrelevant information feel free to PM me... But all I see this going into internet tough guy debate about something as simple as is this a cool car or not!

What tough guy debate? Its a forum discussion, and people are expected to disagree. The quality of Benz was in question and I referred my real life experience with my own. Jeez don't get so butt heart over nothing.We were well on topic until you threw your fit mr man.

Back on topic: Yes the older W208 CLKs were better looking but the W209s don't look bad, I'd definately buy one if the time and price was right:

500.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not even going respond each and everyone of your statements because you apparently didn't read anything I said. And oh yeah.. Nice PM.

Hey if you feel you're capable of doing a drivetrain swap and you think its going to be easy, or simple at all, go for it 👍 and let me know when reality hits.

Not actually converting anything from one drivetrain to another but I may as well be.

Ford 4.6 DOHC + 4R70W + Lincoln Mark VIII suspension, all going underneath a 1987 Jaguar XJ6. Rear suspension is going to have to get narrowed and absolutely none of it is bolt-in. (Could've done a Chev 350/350 swap but that's the easy way out ;) )

:lol: Wow that seems like another strong, opinionated, biased, vague, unsupported, but, dictated statement which seem to be pretty common here on gtp. Where exactly did you get these facts from? And how can something be quality built but unreliable at the same time? I think you just contradicted yourself.

By the way what type of car do you drive? Because if its a BMW like your name suggest my 99 Benz had far more dependability than its E36 competitor back in their day. I've seen the TSB (technical service bulletins), and recall list for those for them on Alldata (software used by many shops and tech schools and reliable source for vehicle maintenance and service info) and boy is it long. Research is what convinced me not to buy one.

Yes, but what about E46 vs W203? E90 vs W204? Just because your car is reliable and screwed together correctly doesn't mean newer ones are.

In fact, my auto teacher has a 1985 300SD that pretty much everything you say about yours can be said about... And it's 14 years older. Relevance? 0.

W201 FTW... *sigh* if only Mercedes had never stopped making that car...

^ Well Rotary I think the E90s and 204s are still a bit quite new so they're harder to judge. The E46 is definately more reliable than the E36. Especially when comparing long term consumer reviews on Edmunds. I mean theirs long term owners of the car there that are either going to be in love or absolutely hating it and in depth with repair bills. Also I was an avid visitor of the E46Fanatics site and common faults/issue threads are plentiful, especially with electronic and tranny issues. I actually used to own an E21 and nothing worked on that car but it ran perfect and shifted through the gears like a champ. As far as the 203, the Kompressor powered models are a ton more reliable and less problematic than they used to be.

My 2.8l 202 has the non-Kompressor M112 motor, which was the first V6 Benz produced. It has forged connecting rods, iron coated aluminum pistons, and silicone/aluminum sleeved cylinders and a magnesium intake mani. The M112 was actually part of the new generation and is available on the more current 203 model. So I would definately feel comfortable purchasing a V6 203 with hi-mileage. I would stay away from the smaller Kompressor engines like the 1.8, 2.0, 2.3 because they've had problems in the past though, they're still a bit too new to judge but, they're also easy to work on. Theirs still other layouts available though including the AWD V6 and 5.5l V8 which are proven to be reliable. I would definately not hesistate to buy the C32 AMG because it uses my same exact engine(M112) but bored to 3.2 and supercharged producing 350hp. I've seen these run close to 12secs. flat, stock on a 1/4mile (well more like 12.3secs) with a simple cheap ECU flash. Not to mention personally hand built by a member of the AMG staff, "One man one engine" (AMG motto):dopey:.

Last edited:
Uh, someone said Benzs were unreliable

They are. They used to be reliable. Then they stopped being reliable.

What Car (Used Car) Reliability Survey:
2001 - Mercedes 2nd/22; 25 claims per 100 vehicles (1st Mazda - 17/100)
2002 - Mercedes 4th/22; 21.1 claims per 100 vehicles, average vehicle age 3.9y (1st Mazda - 15.1/100; 5.8y)
2003 - Mercedes 11th/23; 21 claims per 100 vehicles (1st Mazda - 16/100)
2004 - Mercedes 9th/26; 23.5 claims per 100 vehicles; average vehicle age 4.2y (1st Mazda - 17/100; 5.6y)
2005 - Mercedes 10th/30; 25.6 claims per 100 vehicles; average vehicle age 4.6y (1st Honda - 9.9/100; 4.8y)
2006 - Mercedes 11th/26; 30.3 claims per 100 vehicles; average vehicle age 4.9y (1st Honda - 5.2/100; 5y)
2007 - Mercedes 12th/26; 28.5 claims per 100 vehicles; average vehicle age 5.1y (1st Honda - 9.8/100; 4.8y)
2008 - Mercedes 18th/30; 31 claims per 100 vehicles (1st Honda - 10/100)

Though you should note that this is results for the UK only, where we all use them as taxis or something.

Upshot: Since just 2001, used Mercedes of about 5 years and under have got 20% less reliable whereas the top performers have got 50% more reliable. The result is that they've slipped from being 2nd best of the 22 manufacturers included to being well into the bottom half of 30. Oh, and they're more than three times as likely to require warranty work as the best manufacturer's cars.

For the sake of comparison, Mercedes' worst performer in 2008 was the S-Class ('99-'06) with an astonishing 71% failure rate. That's 35 times higher than the best car on the list - unsurprisingly the Toyota Corolla at 2%

Mercedes were reliable. They aren't now.

Oh sorry, they're there...
new-mercedes-london-taxi.jpg

Last time I went to London I saw one of those. The vast majority of London black cabs are still TX1s and TX4s. Note also how in that photo there are a couple of old TX1s still going (the one on the right is on a 1995 registration plate). I would be willing to bet my car that a Merc people carrier registered this year isn't still operating as a taxi in another 14 years... if current Merc vans are anything to go by, it will have half rusted away before seven years is up and be virtually scrap metal by 2023... Wheras that TX1 will probably still be going.

Actually saw one of these in the flesh today on the motorway, which prompted yet another reason why it is uncool.

It was only by the time that I had got along side it that you could tell (by the lack of rear doors) that it was the coupe. Even more so given it was just badged as E xyz CDI......

Wow... I seem to have set off something here... FYI my source was Consumer Reports, whose reliability ratings for Benzes over the last few years have consistently been low.

Wow... I seem to have set off something here... FYI my source was Consumer Reports, whose reliability ratings for Benzes over the last few years have consistently been low.

Nope... Someone else did.. Yeah I posted MB's rating in reliability which is terrible.. But we shouldn't be judging this car on its reliability..

Yep. And I own one, which makes it even more uncool. AND the "X" stands for "eXperiment" which is even more uncool.

Makes you wonder about the MX-5... you'd think that, after two decades, they'd have finally gotten it right. :lol:

Makes you wonder about the MX-5... you'd think that, after two decades, they'd have finally gotten it right. :lol:

They got it right straight away :sly: Now they're doing a mix of actually "right", and "right" for consumer tastes.

Back