GTP Cool Wall : Ford Mondeo VOTE!

Ford Mondeo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boiltheocean

Premium
Samoa
Samoa
.:Ford Mondeo suggested by Speedster502:.

Spec
Link to Fords Spec across the Whole Range. Much better spec than I could ever possibly copy and paste here.

Pics
2009-Ford-Mondeo.jpg

2009-Ford-Mondeo-i.jpg

it's really one of those cases where the driver knows something everyone else doesn't. Anything that is in comparison to the Vectra (possibly not the insignia) is instantly cool anyway, but this has (apparently) some fun with the styling and build quality.

Well I have one of these as a company car (2008 2.2tdci Titanium X). It's big, reasonably quick, very comfy on long trips (already done 30k miles since October), very well equipped and surprisingly good to drive... as an alternative to a 318l or a base A4 I think it's a much better choice... I don't think it's uncool like say a Laguna or a 407, but you don't really choose 4 door saloons like this thinking they are cool.

it's really one of those cases where the driver knows something everyone else doesn't.

No it isn't. I'd wager that 99% of Mondeo drivers couldn't tell good handling if it jumped out of a tree in front of them with it's wang hanging out and a big sign around it's neck saying "this is good handling!". The same applies to many BMW 3-series drivers.

The fact that it's a very good car does not make it cool. It's a Ford Mondeo - terminally good, terminally uncool. You should never choose a car just to go on the pull, but can you imagine trying to pull in a Mondeo? The only people you'd attract would be guys, saying things like "these are the best handling cars in their class" with a big smug grin.

And I know this is a subjective thing but it doesn't even look as good as the last Mondeo. It's just a big gloopy mess with the tinsel of modernity, just like the new Fiesta and Ka.

No it isn't. I'd wager that 99% of Mondeo drivers couldn't tell good handling if it jumped out of a tree in front of them with it's wang hanging out and a big sign around it's neck saying "this is good handling!". The same applies to many BMW 3-series drivers.

I bet the poster above you would disagree ;)

*coughs*

hfs is right though - the Mondeo isn't cool. But I don't really think it can be uncool as such either. It's like breathing - neither cool nor uncool. Just "is".

That said, there are cool Mondeos - ST24 was the first, ST200 was the second and ST220 was, thus far, the last. If they ever shove the RS craziness into the Mk4, it'll be a cool model but, as a whole, they're absolutely neither.

So I'm declining to vote.

The fact that it's a very good car does not make it cool. It's a Ford Mondeo - terminally good, terminally uncool. You should never choose a car just to go on the pull, but can you imagine trying to pull in a Mondeo? The only people you'd attract would be guys, saying things like "these are the best handling cars in their class" with a big smug grin.

Hmm that's funny - because whenever I hear most women's opinions on men who drive fast cars (big yellow Lambos, bright red ferraris, porsches, M3s, ricers etc) do I hear "phwooar....I'd take him back to my place if picked me up in that"? no. I hear quite the opposite - usually with some form of the word "compensate" thown in for good measure. There are of course exceptions - and for the record, I'd love a fast car.
Now if he'd rock up in a Mondeo, they'd think solid job and that he is more interested in the greater things in life - like taking a long walk on the beach, and meeting parents.

I bet the poster above you would disagree ;)

I am that 1 in a 100.

Doesn't really matter if most people will be able to tell if its handling is top draw or not as they'll still benefit from it in terms of safety and secrity.

Not defending the Mondeo as I have one, but honestly, who buys a 4 door family saloon to pull FFS... were not all single teens or 20 somethings who judge a cars coolness on its attractiveness to the opposite sex... some of us have grown up a bit and have other priorities.

PS, Like Famine, I didn't vote on this as by definition I don't think cars like the Mondeo are either cool or uncool.

Last edited:
Meh...jsut uncool for me. Sure, it's one of the hawttest sedans on the road...as in attractive...but it's not particularly fast or insane. It's very, very good. and that's it.

Cool. Although, if it would be Mazda 6, it would be sub zero..

Man oh man you should meet up with a friend I have who is besotted with his Mazda 6 - in strato blue. He thinks its man's gift to the universe - because it comes with a Bose sound system.

I try not to punch him and have so far been succesful.

Last edited:
The new model is uncool, but I personally like the old models much more. I actually kinda liked their shape and the grille on the old gens.

whenever I hear most women's opinions on men who drive fast cars (big yellow Lambos, bright red ferraris, porsches, M3s, ricers etc) do I hear "phwooar....I'd take him back to my place if picked me up in that"? no. I hear quite the opposite - usually with some form of the word "compensate" thown in for good measure.

Yeah, they sayyy that, but put in that position 99% of women would be impressed (here anyway) I'm sure (as long as the fella wasn't a complete tosser).

I don't think the Mondeo is cool in any way. I like it, but I wouldn't say it was cool.

Hmm that's funny - because whenever I hear most women's opinions on men who drive fast cars (big yellow Lambos, bright red ferraris, porsches, M3s, ricers etc) do I hear "phwooar....I'd take him back to my place if picked me up in that"? no. I hear quite the opposite - usually with some form of the word "compensate" thown in for good measure.

If you read my post carefully you'll see I made no mention of choosing a big flash sports car over a Mondeo either, mainly because I don't have a tiny wang :lol:

Now if he'd rock up in a Mondeo, they'd think solid job and that he is more interested in the greater things in life - like taking a long walk on the beach, and meeting parents.

Many girls (at least those that I know) wouldn't know it was a Mondeo that pulled up in front of them. If they knew a little about cars, they might see the Ford badge and think "oh", in a distinctly unimpressed tone.

Doesn't really matter if most people will be able to tell if its handling is top draw or not as they'll still benefit from it in terms of safety and secrity.

True, but really, how many modern repmobiles don't have a safe and secure drive? They might not all be as incisive as the Mondeo but neither will they fly off the road unless you're really stupid. Even BMWs will safely understeer more easily than they oversteer.

Not defending the Mondeo as I have one, but honestly, who buys a 4 door family saloon to pull FFS...

You clearly missed this bit:

You should never choose a car just to go on the pull, but can you imagine trying to pull in a Mondeo?

And with regard to this:

were not all single teens or 20 somethings who judge a cars coolness on its attractiveness to the opposite sex... some of us have grown up a bit and have other priorities.

As I'm the only person who mentioned it I'll assume this is aimed directly at me. I doubt anyone on this forum knows me particularly well given that only a few have met me and even those that have I've seen for less than a day, but if you believe that I solely judge cars based on their coolness with the opposite sex or that I don't have life priorities beyond going on the pull, then you obviously know me even less than everyone else does.

And even despite my priorities - for the record, maintaining a happy long-term relationship, finishing my self-funded Masters degree, getting a promotion in my current job, getting into a journalism career, paying the bills and providing for myself out of my own pocket (all rather grown-up priorities, wouldn't you say?), I still wouldn't call the Mondeo a cool car. It just isn't, and I can base that on other reasoning than just how attractive it is to the ladies - that example just happened to be one that everyone can understand pretty easily.

I've had 3 of them and they've all been good cars. Yet, like others have already said, a bread and butter car can never be cool.

Ford is seriously cooler here than in the US.. I think :P
I used to think the new Mondeo was really cool. Then I saw this, and realised that the old one actually had more potential:

13Medium.jpg

Then I saw this, and realised that the old one actually had more potential

I agree. It was a much sharper design and didn't look ridiculously big.

(Still not cool though, although I'll admit the ST220 was quite snazzy).

ford_mondeost220image%201.jpg

*coughs*

hfs is right though - the Mondeo isn't cool. But I don't really think it can be uncool as such either. It's like breathing - neither cool nor uncool. Just "is".

That said, there are cool Mondeos - ST24 was the first, ST200 was the second and ST220 was, thus far, the last. If they ever shove the RS craziness into the Mk4, it'll be a cool model but, as a whole, they're absolutely neither.

So I'm declining to vote.

Agreed. Methinks it's about as suited to the cool wall as my inkjet printer. I'm not saying it's 'uncool' as such, and I'm certainly not saying that it's a bad car, but it's just not... anything. I don't think that's a particularly bad thing, though - I mean the Vectra has a clear-cut place on the wall, and look where it got that.

Can't really vote on this one,it's not cool,but yet it's not uncool either.Kind of just your ordinary average family get-a-bout,sort of reminds me of a Ford Taurus knock-off.(which it probably is).

Can't really vote on this one,it's not cool,but yet it's not uncool either.Kind of just your ordinary average family get-a-bout,sort of reminds me of a Ford Taurus knock-off.(which it probably is).

:odd:

I may not find the Mondeo cool but I'm pretty sure that the Taurus is more likely inspired by the European Fords, not the other way around...

I voted cool. But that could easily be just because it's one of those 'forbidden fruits' that we don't get in America. It would be awesome to own one here I think.

For what it is, a rep- mobile, its cool.

It's not a BMW or other luxury / near luxury car. Of the cars in its class (Citroens, Vauxhalls, Toyotas, Hondas etc,) especially the tripe we get here in the states, its cool.

I'd say cool - I still find the design to be pretty awesome, the engineering not half bad either.

However, the existence of our new Fusion keeps it out of the sub-zero range.

For what it is, a rep- mobile, its cool.

It's not a BMW or other luxury / near luxury car. Of the cars in its class (Citroens, Vauxhalls, Toyotas, Hondas etc,) especially the tripe we get here in the states, its cool.

Actually, it's pitched directly against the 3-series - since both see their majority of sales coming from, as you say, the fleet car market. And at every price point, the Mondeo outperforms and outspecs the 3-series until you run out of Mondeos to buy (though I have to say it's a hell of a lot closer this generation than it was with the Mk3 and the E46) - there's no equivalent Mondeo for the 330 and 335.

As I'm the only person who mentioned it I'll assume this is aimed directly at me. I doubt anyone on this forum knows me particularly well given that only a few have met me and even those that have I've seen for less than a day, but if you believe that I solely judge cars based on their coolness with the opposite sex or that I don't have life priorities beyond going on the pull, then you obviously know me even less than everyone else does.

And even despite my priorities - for the record, maintaining a happy long-term relationship, finishing my self-funded Masters degree, getting a promotion in my current job, getting into a journalism career, paying the bills and providing for myself out of my own pocket (all rather grown-up priorities, wouldn't you say?), I still wouldn't call the Mondeo a cool car. It just isn't, and I can base that on other reasoning than just how attractive it is to the ladies - that example just happened to be one that everyone can understand pretty easily.

I've seen some of your posts in other threads, so I know you don't judge a car on it's ability tp attract the opposite sex and I'm sure you're a responsible adult too... but if you want people to see you that way then be careful saying things like you did in your original post ;)

Back