GTP Cool Wall: Results (read OP)

• Thread starter Snikle
  • 293 comments
OP has the most up to date spreadsheet.

Thank you to /u/MidevilPancake on /r/excel for helping me automate the spreadsheet, he made both the Majority and the Placement formula

Thanks for putting the Excel spreadsheet up. I may play around with it later on to see if there's any interesting statistics to come out of it.

One thing I would change in the spreadsheet, the "Majority" column should be changed to "Plurality" to better reflect what that column is actually measuring.

College application and school work. More than likely there won't be another post until next Sunday.

College application and school work. More than likely there won't be another post until next Sunday.

School is just about finishing for the year for me in a couple weeks, meaning all of the homework and school work is just about done. If you'd like me to take over I'd be happy to. 👍

SVX
School is just about finishing for the year for me in a couple weeks, meaning all of the homework and school work is just about done. If you'd like me to take over I'd be happy to. 👍
Nah, I'm good

Cool Wall Special Announcement
From November 27th, 12 AM (22 Hours and 41 Minutes from the time of this post) until November 29th, 12 AM (48 Hour time span), you will be allowed to add a second nomination to the queue, as a part of a Thanksgiving special. You will not need to wait until both your nominations are polled to make a new one after this either, only the one not made during the Thanksgiving special counts as your one nomination.

@Jahgee1124, could you post those times in Universal Standard Time (UST) using a 24 hour format (00:00) please? This is a global forum and 12 AM isn't exactly an unambiguous term. Thank you.

@Jahgee1124, could you post those times in Universal Standard Time (UST) using a 24 hour format (00:00) please? This is a global forum and 12 AM isn't exactly an unambiguous term. Thank you.
I'll announce when it's open, as of right now, there's 11 hours and 16 minutes until the Thanksgiving Special starts

There should never be more than two polls per 24 hour period. Holiday or not. Two every 48 hours would be ideal.

I have less of a problem with the Thanksgiving Special's flood of bonus nominations, but I think it should have been limited to one day only.

Last edited:
Posts will go back to 2 a day starting Sunday, and bonus nominations are only open for 11 more hours (Most people that post nominations posted their 2nd already, so it's not gonna get more flooded)

Given the rush of entries we got yesterday, it would have been more fitting to start 24 hours of bonus nominations today instead.

/Black Friday Special

I don't mind having more frequent polls if it helps us clear the backlogue of nominations. In fact, I'd rather lock the nomination thread until we catch up with ourselves. Current waiting period is about two months.

I don't mind having more frequent polls if it helps us clear the backlogue of nominations. In fact, I'd rather lock the nomination thread until we catch up with ourselves. Current waiting period is about two months.
I'll be better about posting as many days as possible

Yes, please. This needs to be done.

Spreadsheet updated, has all the Thanksgiving nominations added and 44 extra slots for you to mess around with

Just one quick piece of data from the new spreadsheet:

Most nominations (through Poll 556): Murcie_LP640 (13 nominations), followed by AudiMan2011, Slash and Jahgee1124 (10 nominations each)
Average rating through Poll 473: 0.391
Standard deviation of ratings through Poll 473: 0.760

The average rating being a "cool" is unsurprising, given the bias inherent in the sample population.

Even with just this data, there's a lot more interesting trends that could be gleaned out of it (for what it's worth), if someone else wants to have a go.

It's a lot of work, but in future iterations of the Excel spreadsheet, if you separate out the car names so that years, make and model are 3 separate columns, then analysis and statistics of different manufacturers polled so far could be done fairly easily. There should be a way to write an equation to separate them out easier, but I don't know it off the top of my head.

Also, again, the "Majority" column should be "Plurality" instead.

And this:
GTP Cool Wall Results.png

Last edited:
5 polling options, 1 of those arguably unnecessary, 8 result classifications. Not this make sense does.

Continuously slice the cheese as wafer thin as you want but the results should reflect the results. If it really matters, have a top 5 for sub zero and top 5 for seriously uncool.

Just one quick piece of data from the new spreadsheet:

Most nominations (through Poll 556): Murcie_LP640 (13 nominations), followed by AudiMan2011, Slash and Jahgee1124 (10 nominations each)
Average rating through Poll 473: 0.391
Standard deviation of ratings through Poll 473: 0.760

The average rating being a "cool" is unsurprising, given the bias inherent in the sample population.

Even with just this data, there's a lot more interesting trends that could be gleaned out of it (for what it's worth), if someone else wants to have a go.

It's a lot of work, but in future iterations of the Excel spreadsheet, if you separate out the car names so that years, make and model are 3 separate columns, then analysis and statistics of different manufacturers polled so far could be done fairly easily. There should be a way to write an equation to separate them out easier, but I don't know it off the top of my head.

Also, again, the "Majority" column should be "Plurality" instead.

And this:
View attachment 265269
Working on it, accidentally crashed my computer by having it replace anything that is 4 consecutive letters with a formula to give the current year
5 polling options, 1 of those arguably unnecessary, 8 result classifications. Not this make sense does.

Continuously slice the cheese as wafer thin as you want but the results should reflect the results. If it really matters, have a top 5 for sub zero and top 5 for seriously uncool.
I've considered it, but I feel people would be upset with a change like that

Last edited:
@Jahgee1124 is right, we should avoid changing things about how the cool wall works. Changing it will just lead to more pointless arguments. Better to stick with a system which we know works, even if it is flawed, than risk losing the cool wall altogether in the potential stupidity that may follow any changes.

Back