GTP Cool Wall: Results (read OP)

• Thread starter Snikle
  • 293 comments
Yeah don't mind me, once I get a hold of a data set I just don't know when to stop! :lol: Hope my theorizing was entertaining is all...

tho I really want to see the PT Cruiser in Styx... always best when a new rule better fits ones personal preferences!

Yeah, aside from nothing ever getting into the top and bottom categories since the Miura, nothing is broken at all! :lol:

But i do suggest keeping the GT40 Mk. I in sight....
EDIT: I swear the point of reaching Miura's House/Hell was 1.81/-1.81 and not 1.89/-1.89...
Actually, i will consider the P400S vote a revote of the P400.

Last edited:
I personally would like to see both Steve McQueen's Garage and Hell be changed from (-)1.89 to (-)1.77. I feel like 1.89 is way too high for SMG and Hell. Some may disagree, but I would like to see this change.

Has anybody considered that maybe the reason that it's nearly impossible to find a car that will be voted into either of the extreme categories is because it's meant to be?
When I was rethinking the wall, AKA premeditating it's death, this was one of my big questions. At some point I thought of dropping the ratings on the extremes and having the top 5/bottom 5 be in each. Top 5 would have made sense, bottom 5 would have had to skip a full rank for a long time.

I'm working on a new placement formula which takes into account the standard deviation of the results, but it won't be done for a while. Unfortunately Excel isn't powerful enough to run it so I'm attempting to do it in Python, though once honed it should be easy to implement in any multitude of languages.

Wait...what? Could you explain so I don't assume what you meant?
The standard deviation is, simply put, the average difference between a data point and the mean in a set of data points. More relevant to the cool wall, it would take into account not just the average vote, but the distribution. Currently, a car that gets 50 SZ votes and 50 uncool votes scores the same as a car that gets 50 cool votes, even though the first was divisive and the second was unanimous. I aim to design a system that would change that. This way, cars that receive a large number of votes in one category will get a more extreme score than cars that don't have one dominant voting category.

In more mathematical terms, the standard deviation is the square root of the mean of all of the differences squared between each data point and the mean of the data set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

The standard deviation is, simply put, the average difference between a data point and the mean in a set of data points. More relevant to the cool wall, it would take into account not just the average vote, but the distribution. Currently, a car that gets 50 SZ votes and 50 uncool votes scores the same as a car that gets 50 cool votes, even though the first was divisive and the second was unanimous. I aim to design a system that would change that. This way, cars that receive a large number of votes in one category will get a more extreme score than cars that don't have one dominant voting category.

In more mathematical terms, the standard deviation is the square root of the mean of all of the differences squared between each data point and the mean of the data set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation
Thank you for the explanation. Two things; First, don't expect people to get behind it....at all. Second, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

Thank you for the explanation. Two things; First, don't expect people to get behind it....at all. Second, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.
It's worth a shot, there have been so many people expressing a desire to see the system changed and I feel this is the best way to please everyone without making a large difference to any of the results. Also, thanks.

The current system is democratic. It reflects the overall views of voters. If the overall views of voters are divided and therefore the results don't tend towards the extremes then that reflects that this is a community representing diverse viewpoints which people feel free to express.

The thing people really need to remember is that ultimately the scores don't really mean a great deal and it's the discussion in the threads which makes the polls interesting.

The current system is democratic. It reflects the overall views of voters. If the overall views of voters are divided and therefore the results don't tend towards the extremes then that reflects that this is a community representing diverse viewpoints which people feel free to express.

The thing people really need to remember is that ultimately the scores don't really mean a great deal and it's the discussion in the threads which makes the polls interesting.
I agree, however, I feel I can make it more democratic. The current system is very mathematically simple, when in fact there is a lot more information contained in the data set generated by each poll that could be tapped into to give a fairer and more accurate score for each car.

Why not start your own thread with Beeblebrox237's alternate analysis? I think keeping the results here very simple is absolutely a must. But that doesn't mean those of us who are mathematically inspired can't take the dataset and run with it, and post our conclusions elsewhere. You might notice I made a couple suggestions a page or two back which sounds very similar to what you're doing...

I'd just add the standard deviation as an extra data point and leave it.

If people feel strongly enough about how uncool a car is that they vote SU to balance out the SZ votes... and vice versa, then that still has to be taken into account rather than worked around.

The again, the original Cool Wall was never as democratic as ours. It was three old dudes shouting at each other, and the tallest one got to decide where the car went, because he could put the picture up where no one else could reach it.

:D

I'm working on a new placement formula which takes into account the standard deviation of the results, but it won't be done for a while. Unfortunately Excel isn't powerful enough to run it so I'm attempting to do it in Python, though once honed it should be easy to implement in any multitude of languages.
How easy/difficult would it be for someone to input results in Python? I know when @GranTurismo916 took over from me, I gave him a set of instructions for how to put the results into the Formula to get the result, since he said he didn't have that much experience with Excel. Ease of entry for the curator would have to be something taken into account.

Why not start your own thread with Beeblebrox237's alternate analysis? I think keeping the results here very simple is absolutely a must. But that doesn't mean those of us who are mathematically inspired can't take the dataset and run with it, and post our conclusions elsewhere. You might notice I made a couple suggestions a page or two back which sounds very similar to what you're doing...
It was actually your comments which inspired me to try and come up with an improved system.
How easy/difficult would it be for someone to input results in Python? I know when @GranTurismo916 took over from me, I gave him a set of instructions for how to put the results into the Formula to get the result, since he said he didn't have that much experience with Excel. Ease of entry for the curator would have to be something taken into account.
If the code is well written, it should be as simple as entering the five numbers corresponding to the number of votes (the programme would show "How many Sub Zero votes were there?" and you'd type the number and hit enter) and then the programme would give you a few outputs, including the original score, standard deviation, adjusted score, and total votes. Even then, though, the rawness of it can be intimidating.

To be honest I'll probably do it in LabVIEW once I've got the basic ideas sorted since LabVIEW is much better at processing data and it's also much more user-friendly. Unfortunately it's much less common since it's not free, so if I do it that way I'll upload the VI but I doubt anyone else will be able to use it. I'd also consider doing it in MATLAB but that's not free either.

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted on how it goes. @GranTurismo916 Do you have all the raw data from the cars already in an Excel spreadsheet or similar format? If so, I may ask to use it at some point. If not, well, a raw data sheet might be useful... I'm going to spend way too much time on this. :indiff:

It was actually your comments which inspired me to try and come up with an improved system.

If the code is well written, it should be as simple as entering the five numbers corresponding to the number of votes (the programme would show "How many Sub Zero votes were there?" and you'd type the number and hit enter) and then the programme would give you a few outputs, including the original score, standard deviation, adjusted score, and total votes. Even then, though, the rawness of it can be intimidating.

To be honest I'll probably do it in LabVIEW once I've got the basic ideas sorted since LabVIEW is much better at processing data and it's also much more user-friendly. Unfortunately it's much less common since it's not free, so if I do it that way I'll upload the VI but I doubt anyone else will be able to use it. I'd also consider doing it in MATLAB but that's not free either.

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted on how it goes. @GranTurismo916 Do you have all the raw data from the cars already in an Excel spreadsheet or similar format? If so, I may ask to use it at some point. If not, well, a raw data sheet might be useful... I'm going to spend way too much time on this. :indiff:
The one in the OP I just checked goes to the 2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 (997)

If I can't handle this, I'll just hand the wall over to someone who can.
The one in the OP I just checked goes to the 2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 (997)
I have the updated version, I just haven't updated it on the actual threads. I should do that now, actually.

This is a random question being asked at a random time, but is there anything, at all, that anyone would like to be added to or changed in the Cool Wall that I should consider?

Back