GTP GT5 Photomode FAQ & Tutorial Depot - Answers to questions here!

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 391 comments
I can't wait to play with photo mode, too. RDK said that max resolution is 3840x2160. Some time ago Kaz or someone from PD stated that the are not sure if 18MP will be available in final game, but for sure there will be 5MP. As we've seen we have 8MP, and I think we don't need more :) Also RDK somewhere mentioned other 2 resolutions. I was 1920x1080, but I can't remember the other one.

One word onf effects. We've seen 'partial color' on LFA pictures, but I really want to know what the hell is 'extreme monochrome'. Any ideas? :)

Guys not neccesarly a GT5 photomode question but more like an automotive one,why when anyone pictures a moving car the Rims don't appear to be stationery.The Rims look as if they are moving what is the physics behind that doesn't a camera capture an instant that means the Rims should look as if it was stationery aswell ,hope I make sense.

Shutter speed, same principle as the blurred background, it's moving fast compare to the car you are following with the camera :)

Let's say the shutter speed is 0.01s, the wheels will have turned a lot during that time, that why it is blurred

Guys not neccesarly a GT5 photomode question but more like an automotive one,why when anyone pictures a moving car the Rims don't appear to be stationery.The Rims look as if they are moving what is the physics behind that doesn't a camera capture an instant that means the Rims should look as if it was stationery aswell ,hope I make sense.

It depends on the shutter speed. If the shutter is open for 1/20th of a second, the wheel, at high speed, revolves a lot in that time, so it blurs. However if the shutter speed is 1/5000th of a second, the wheel has so little time to move, the photo records it like the car was stationary. Does that make sense?

For those who doesn't know what the focal-number/ adjustement does: The camera options in GT5 looks very much like those we have on D-SLR cameras. The higher the F-number is the smaller the blender opening is, but it gives you a larger area in focus, but requires more light/ lower shutter speed to get more light.

Shutter speed, same principle as the blurred background, it's moving fast compare to the car you are following with the camera :)

Let's say the shutter speed is 0.01s, the wheels will have turned a lot during that time, that why it is blurred

It depends on the shutter speed. If the shutter is open for 1/20th of a second, the wheel, at high speed, revolves a lot in that time, so it blurs. However if the shutter speed is 1/5000th of a second, the wheel has so little time to move, the photo records it like the car was stationary. Does that make sense?

Thanks alot guys for your answer ,appreciate it 👍

Anyone who just got the game today, did you give it a whirl.. I mean what options are new for this go around, I enjoy playing with the camera a bit, still have a hugh file of all the GT4 cars, and the photos I took, Seattle Course sunset was a nice one back in the day, and of course the Nurburgring...

I thought that question was about photomode, as we are in photomode thread.

Q: Do we have a free-range camera for races yet?! I hope so.

I think here we have an answer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaB7-YNDCVc&feature=player_embedded

We are freeee! :D

People, you are freeeee!

Awesome, thank you so, so much Abraxas!

(ryryryan, I'll fix up the wording of that; it is meant to reflect on the photomode tied to replays)

(EDIT) - Well, now that I've watched that... I wonder how we can pull off aerial views? Also weird it kicks you out of interior view when you go to Photomode :(. Still... incredibly happy with this new camera (and have seen an aerial shot of the LFA, come to think of it, so it must be possible).

Last edited:
Nice one Slip!
Man, it's been a while since I've been on this forum... 4 years I think.
The wait is almost over. woohoo!

Nice one Slip!
Man, it's been a while since I've been on this forum... 4 years I think.
The wait is almost over. woohoo!

Heh, I just clicked your sig link... and I remember some of those shots! Welcome back!

hear! hear!

edit...
I hope to play around with photoshop and the images with some tilt-shift photography effects and mineature faking effects to see how it turns out!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_faking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt-shift_photography

Judging by Amar's examples in his stickied thread, there's a Miniature filter built right into GT5. However, I imagine those who are familiar with doing it in post-editing will want to stick to that method, since it has more control. Still, nice that they added it, since I'm sure people will understand and get the hang of it in-game after a little while.

Hey everyone! After ignoring GT4's photomode for a while, I've finally gotten back into it, and I just posted an entry in one of the GT4 photomode competitions.

Can't wait for some fun in GT5's photomode comps! See you all there! :)

The thread is now moved :).

Q&A section will be finalized, with perhaps a few additional questions, as soon as I can get the decisive answers from the game. The terminology portion will most likely be finished by Friday, as well. Tutorials will be added as time goes on: the ones from GT4, while handy, aren't all available anymore, so I'm sure the community will fill in the gaps shortly.

Ok... I see that on PhotoMode while taking (action shots/cars are moving) all the pics of the cars appear as if they were standing still on the middle of the track even though the vehicles were racing. So, is there a way to get the effect of the wheels spinning to give the true effect of racing??

Ok... I see that on PhotoMode while taking (action shots/cars are moving) all the pics of the cars appear as if they were standing still on the middle of the track even though the vehicles were racing. So, is there a way to get the effect of the wheels spinning to give the true effect of racing??

Yeah, if you slow down the shutter speed to induce motion blur, and then set focus on the car (this will force the camera to pan with the car) this should produce a clear car with some nice motion blur on the background and wheels.

Are we able to take shots from angles featured in replays? Such as ariel shots and shots that are outside the course that are seen in replays? I sure hope so. Replay angles sometime have an amazing view you just cant capture in free-roam, depending on how strict it is of course.

Thanks for a great thread. As a photographer I'm looking forward to this one, I liked the concept in GT-4 but the quality of the images wasn't enough to be able to print at reasonable sizes.

One note from the first post. The exposure value shown is most likely exposure compensation not exposure value. 1.9EV is pretty dark, so it's more likely to be the amount added to the auto-exposure reading (1.9 stops) by the current (manual) settings. Most DSLR cameras show this in manual mode (my Nikon D3 certainly does), to give you an idea of where your settings are with respect to auto-exposure. For example a scene with a lot of white in it will typically be under-exposed so you want to be about 1-2 stops over the default setting.

I've seen that the Premium cars look fantastic in photomode.I just wonder how the standard cars will look when taking photos of them on the track.

Are we able to take shots from angles featured in replays? Such as ariel shots and shots that are outside the course that are seen in replays? I sure hope so. Replay angles sometime have an amazing view you just cant capture in free-roam, depending on how strict it is of course.

It looks like, other than the walking-on-foot setup, different points of the replay offer different cameras. I've seen as little as 3 options when paused to go to Photomode, or as many as 7. There have been some aerial race shots so far, so I imagine it's possible, though it may be limited to a handful of PD-chosen angles :-/.

Thanks for a great thread. As a photographer I'm looking forward to this one, I liked the concept in GT-4 but the quality of the images wasn't enough to be able to print at reasonable sizes.

One note from the first post. The exposure value shown is most likely exposure compensation not exposure value. 1.9EV is pretty dark, so it's more likely to be the amount added to the auto-exposure reading (1.9 stops) by the current (manual) settings. Most DSLR cameras show this in manual mode (my Nikon D3 certainly does), to give you an idea of where your settings are with respect to auto-exposure. For example a scene with a lot of white in it will typically be under-exposed so you want to be about 1-2 stops over the default setting.

Thanks Strop; an edit of that portion has been done to make it more clear 👍

you guys are fast :) Nice tut...

This has been in the GT5 section for weeks, gotta be prepared! :D

I've seen that the Premium cars look fantastic in photomode.I just wonder how the standard cars will look when taking photos of them on the track.

There have been a bunch of Standard car shots throughout the boards. Also, you can find some in this News post, scattered in between Premiums :).

They look fairly good.

deepforestraceway4-640x360.jpg

Obviously not as good as Premiums though.

Back