GTP Nurburgring Weekly Challenge Week 7: Ferrari Dino 246 GT '71!

• Thread starter rosckolove
  • 318 comments
Are we closing this tomorrow 12:00am GMT as WRS does? I have a little time today but planned to try this tomorrow.

First lap was a 7:49.638 which is probably the best I can do, my DFGT feels a bit heated from pushing it. There's certainly room for improvement since I don't know the ring very well but it was a fun challenge even though I don't compare to the speed demons here.

This combo is very enjoyable though despite me spinning out quite often! Especially with a wheel, it's hard to think I used to drive with a controller for years and made the switch early this year.

I took a little more than 1 second off my time, down to a 7'51.002 and continue to dominate last place. :lol:
I can't even complete a lap. :lol: I keep spinning out, the longest I made it was to the karussell and it took me 5 minutes to get there, is that a good pace or is that bad? The wheel I use is a t300rs.

I keep spinning out, the longest I made it was to the karussell and it took me 5 minutes to get there, is that a good pace or is that bad? The wheel I use is a t300rs.

@SilverSE102 I'm not sure, would you like me to post my split times? (For me knowing the individual sector times and watching the replays helps me better understand what I did to gain or loose time)

@SilverSE102 I'm not sure, would you like me to post my split times? (For me knowing the individual sector times and watching the replays helps me better understand what I did to gain or loose time)
That would be great, it would give me an idea of where I need to improve. The other problem might be that I heavily relied on the active steering strong and traction control before trying this challenge, i may try again on the ds3 instead of the wheel and see how I do. With a wheel it is harder for me to counter steer, where as I do very well drifting with the controller.

Understood @SilverSE102... nothing wrong with going to your comfort zone.

Keep in mind, usually, sliding is slower than rolling....I know its hard at first to not use active steering but (IMO) using active steering rewards driving the car past its limits by saving it for you and creates bad habits. The idea of not using it is to learn to stay within the limits of the cars grip and or how to save it when you do.

Don't get discouraged or feel pressured to match these times because the top times are amazingly fast and within the mother fleet of alien territory. Keep in mind my initial lap time was near 8'00.000.

Regarding Traction Control I don't have a problem with someone using it, we even allow it in the WRS (think because in almost every instance it slower). I don't know how @rosckolove feels about it?

For anyone who does not know how to get their split times:
1. You must save your best lap (ghost) replay before you exit your time trial session
2. Exit to the home screen and go to Gallery
3. Select the replay and start to play it
4. Once the replay starts you pause it to select your view and display options. While paused every time you hit the FF arrow it will jump to your next split time.

Just stick with it man. You will be counter steering in no time. For instance the 630 pp seasonal I though my fastest time was going to be aa 1:48. Couldn't get that car down. Super hard. Now I'm in the 46's and I know I have at least a half a second to gain without even having a clue how to nail the chicane yet. Just run 5 laps in a row. You'll get it :)

But... You must absolutely turn traction control off. Practice practice practice. Once you get to a certain point, you are barely steering and you will be turning the car with the throttle and brakes almost just as much as the wheel itself.

P.S. I'm not opposed to you using aids (except SRF). They just slow you down anyway.

Last edited:
Here are the splits for my 7'51.002 lap.

1'27.833
1'59.166
2'55.216
3'37.800
4'07.916
5'02.716
5'41.233
6'14.383
7'00.483
7'25.283
7'51.002

I would find it helpful if one of the aliens could post their splits :bowdown:

7:36.303

How did you get your splits down to the .001?

Last edited:
Time is always displayed to the 1/1000 of second.

You are using the best lap ghost replay and viewing it from the gallery? Here are the steps again.

For anyone who does not know how to get their split times:
1. You must save your best lap (ghost) replay before you exit your time trial session
2. Exit to the home screen and go to Gallery
3. Select the replay and start to play it
4. Once the replay starts you pause it to select your view and display options. While paused every time you hit the FF arrow it will jump to your next split time. Takes less than 15 seconds to jot them all down for the entire lap.

BTW- how did you get the sector times. The above procedure gives the total time to T1, T2, T3.....T9 from the start. I get the time for each sector with manual math by subtracting T9-T8, T8-T7, T7-T6, etc. The math is easier if you convert it to seconds.

Last edited:
Hi, this sounds fun. But why not create a club online in the GT6 Community page? PD created this great tool for this kind of thing. It's so much easier to track everyone's times, ensure they're using the proper car/race settings, etc.

I have a Time Trial club already started under 1017409. When I get home I will create an event with the settings in the OP. If you have any thoughts or changes let me know. I think I recognize a couple in this thread from my PSN friend list. Hope to see you there!

@cjr3559 I discussed all the benefits of setting it up this way with @rosckolove via a PM. The plan was for me to set one up so he could try it out and see how it works but I couldn't since I already had a club.

I sent him the instructions on how to set up a club and the event but he may not have gotten to it yet (I'm sure my instructions make it look like a lot of work). Now he can check out how it works to see if he likes it.

IMO There has to be some kind of leaderboard to keep people who are not fast enough to challenge for the top spot to remain interested in doing the events or even submitting a time. He was receptive to the idea.

I will forward you to the PM conversation so you can see the details discussed.

Edit: he will need to do it since I was the last one to send and its not in my in box now.

Understood @SilverSE102... nothing wrong with going to your comfort zone.

Keep in mind, usually, sliding is slower than rolling....I know its hard at first to not use active steering but (IMO) using active steering rewards driving the car past its limits by saving it for you and creates bad habits. The idea of not using it is to learn to stay within the limits of the cars grip and or how to save it when you do.

Don't get discouraged or feel pressured to match these times because the top times are amazingly fast and within the mother fleet of alien territory. Keep in mind my initial lap time was near 8'00.000.

Regarding Traction Control I don't have a problem with someone using it, we even allow it in the WRS (think because in almost every instance it slower). I don't know how @rosckolove feels about it?
I understand, the thing I was saying was that with the controller I am able to bring the car back most of the time before it spins out, with the wheel I try to catch it, but usually I end up facing the wrong direction or in a wall. I have seen some improvement since I started this challenge, I am able to get a little further each time before I wipe out. When I first started it, I sometimes didn't even make it to turn 1. :lol:

Just stick with it man. You will be counter steering in no time. For instance the 630 pp seasonal I though my fastest time was going to be aa 1:48. Couldn't get that car down. Super hard. Now I'm in the 46's and I know I have at least a half a second to gain without even having a clue how to nail the chicane yet. Just run 5 laps in a row. You'll get it :)

But... You must absolutely turn traction control off. Practice practice practice. Once you get to a certain point, you are barely steering and you will be turning the car with the throttle and brakes almost just as much as the wheel itself.

P.S. I'm not opposed to you using aids (except SRF). They just slow you down anyway.
Thanks, I have been improving a little. I just need to practice more with my wheel. I turned everything off except driving line and abs.

For the seasonal events I only use driving line, active steering, traction control, and abs 1, depending on the event I turn off tc and for rallying I sometimes turn everything off expect abs and the driving line.

Sorry guys I have been concentrating on the seasonal a bit to much.

Im going to set up a club today. Thanks to @RuddRacer :)

I'm also going to keep a running leaderboard for the current week in the OP.

Club ID 1052683.

Also, my splits are.

1:24.933
1:55.416
2:50.016
3:31.616
4:01.250
4:54.716
5:31.300
6:02.700
6:47.500
7:12.150

Last edited:
Club ID 1052683.

Also, my splits are.

1:24.933
1:55.416
2:50.016
3:31.616
4:01.250
4:54.716
5:31.300
6:02.700
6:47.500
7:12.150

Its great to see you had a chance to put up the leaderboard and get a club set up 👍, we can give the club events a trial run to see how you like it. Its your decision how you want to administer the events.

What's cool is now if we have a few members online at the same time we can even setup a room and do some laps together or even have a race.

Glad you figured out the "easy" way to get the split times. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I was more than 1 second ahead of my ghost until I slid at Schwalbenschwanz. Barely salvaged any improvement (0.010), I'm getting close to my current limit.

New best time 7'50'992

I forgot that only the creator is the only one who can see the online results, here is my time so far7'53.740

I like having both online and offline events 👍
1. The offline allows the use of best lap ghost and that can help when experimenting to know if something is helping or hurting plus it the only way to get split / sector times.
2. I like the added challenge of the online and its a good way to validate someone's offline time.

To draw attention (those who took part this week and new) it may be help to update the title of this thread each week to reflect the week number and car being used in the challenge. People will notice its active if the title is changing...

Adding the club # and a mention of the online event to the OP would make it easier for people to find it.

Are we getting a new car on Thursday?

Still trying to get a clean full lap, managed to complete a lap but managed to hit the wall a few corners before the start line. :banghead: Getting a bit better keeping all 4 wheels on the pavement. And thanks @RuddRacer for helping me out in the online room. :D:tup:

My times are posted in the club, best lap so far is 8:07 and some change. With some more work I might get sub 8 min, but not much less than that.

G27 with H-shifter, 468PP, 290HP and no assists.

Here is tonight's progress. I'm not sure If I'm doing something good or bad but I think like my online/ offline times are unusually close. :confused:

Offline I improved little more than 0.450 seconds.
7'50.536

Online I improved a little more than 0.9 seconds.
7'52.693

@cjr3559 you can improve your time more than you think 👍....after you change your oil! :lol:

Yeah, can't remember if I changed the oil two years ago when I bought it. I thought I did since HP says 290 but who knows. :confused: Car has around 800-900 miles on it. I'll change it again and see what happens.

Regarding the trial event settings, I seem to do better when I get a warm-up lap. It's tougher (for me) to run the Nordschliefe with the 'final corner start' rather than 'pit start'. That, or increasing the total time to 17 minutes to get a longer flying lap.

Sweet. Looks like I'm way late for the party, too bad. What's gonna be the combo for next week?

Nissan R390 GT1 Road Car on Sport Hards? The 7 minute barrier is starting to shake fearfully …
:D

(EDIT clarification: 7 minute barrier applies only if you allow tuning this time methinks)

Last edited:
@Mr. Apex it appears the event is still open, I have not heard anything definitive about when the next event will start. I think you still can post a time for both offline (arcade time trail) or online via the club (.Club ID 1052683)

Car has around 800-900 miles on it. I'll change it again and see what happens
Don't forget about the wear on the engine and chassis. Personally I will sell my car and buy a new one rather than spend the money to overhaul the engine and restore chassis integrity. Many times it costs less money that way.

Back