GTP Nurburgring Weekly Challenge Week 7: Ferrari Dino 246 GT '71!

• Thread starter rosckolove
  • 318 comments
Don't forget about the wear on the engine and chassis. Personally I will sell my car and buy a new one rather than spend the money to overhaul the engine and restore chassis integrity. Many times it costs less money that way.

I was a little off, my original Type-R only has 700 miles. Nevertheless, I wound up purchasing a new one and changed the oil. (I'm not big on oil changing new cars). Total time improvement was a second. :guilty:

I didn't really practice enough for this event but I could probably just squeak a sub 8 lap with CS tires. SH on the other hand...

Thanks Rudd

Well, I might just have a short go at it this Sunday, seems like a really attractive combo, but with so little time nothing alien-like will come out of it.

EDIT: Nor would it with lots of time, haha :lol:

I did 2nd session and my best was 7'43.454
Splits were:
1'26.184
1'57.184
2'52.484
3'35.050
4'05.167
4'58.934
5'36.167
6'07.917
6'53.784
7'18.500

That's it - I finish/done this combo.

Last edited:
edit...

There is a difference in grip between online and offline and they should not be compared to each other but individually as two separate events. Hope that clears it up for you.

Last edited:
Sorry fellas i was having internet issues as well as working out wether or not online club lobby grip is different than offline, Thank you rudd for the suggestions i appreciate everything you have to offer, its a shame PD feel the meed to make online/offline physics different, entirely unreasonable.

Anyway the time trial part is going to remain as it was, single player offline time trial. That way if the combo is correct, it can be submitted to the Nurburgring laptime leaderboard.

I also wanted the start finish of the week to be changed. Start monday, end on sunday. So i let week 1 run a little longer to accomplish that, as well as it being the first week, allowing the late comers to give the combo a try

If there is enough of you to race at any given time then the club portion can be utilized. The club will be kept up to date and whoever wants to run a time trial in it is welcome to do so, But official posted times will be ones from offline time trial.

Week #2 IMPORTANT INFORMATION.

Ferrari GTO '84 STOCK
Sport hard tires
Oil change allowed

This car is a pleasure, while offering a bit more of a challenge.

I will post my laptime tomorrow. Hope to see some others do the same.

Also guys keep in mind this combo is eligable for the Nurburgring Laptime Leaderboard
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt6-nürburgring-lap-time-board-2-0.317912/

Last edited:
I'm going to play devil's advocate and say it's funny that this online event is going to be run offline. :odd::)

You can run the time trial online as well, but know that online physics will slow you down comparably to offline physics. The race at the end of each week (if participation allows) Will be held in the club lobby :)

The WRS runs in offline arcade mode, and this is on its way to being set up similarly.

Club event was updated, and I also created a race version of the event if anyone wanted to have a quick couple of laps with each other.

Club ID 1052683 (also added to the OP)

@RuddRacer @Harsk100 @SVPSkins @jammy21 @roamer2629 @Ed_Night @SilverSE102 @Thomas2012 @ukmalb @cjr3559 @Mr. Apex

Week #2 IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Ferrari GTO '84 STOCK
528 pp
413 hp
1,160 kg
Sport Hard tires
Oil change allowed

Keep in mind guys this combo is eligible for the Nurburgring laptime Leaderboard linked just a few posts up. 2 birds :)

Enjoy!

I had a quick go and I am having the same problem as I did with the nsx, I have a hard time keeping it from spinning out. Either I am a horrible driver, or I need more practice with MR cars without tuning and aids. :dunce:

I had a quick go and I am having the same problem as I did with the nsx, I have a hard time keeping it from spinning out. Either I am a horrible driver, or I need more practice with MR cars without tuning and aids. :dunce:

Weight transfer management. The NSX is about as perfect as it gets when it comes to balance, which is part of the reason I chose it first. Start trying to use the weight of the car to help you around the corner.

And if your on a DS3 it is critical to turn the steering sensitivity all the way up.

@rosckolove I really like the updated OP, makes it very easy to know what's currently going on. 👍 I'm happy to see we many people returning from last week and several new people who have decided to take part.

I can't wait to get me some of this weeks event...

I had a quick go and I am having the same problem as I did with the nsx, I have a hard time keeping it from spinning out. Either I am a horrible driver, or I need more practice with MR cars without tuning and aids.

I'm not an expert but when we were online together in the club last week it appeared you were being overly aggressive on corner speed, the throttle and braking too late.

For me the biggest misconception I had of those who had a quicker time is they were actually going a lot faster. I've came to realize that the biggest difference comes from the correct line and hugging the apex like your favorite girlfriend. Typically the fastest lap looks very controlled and easy to do but the execution and hitting your spots is very difficult. If it was not everyone would post alien times.

I think watching a faster drivers replay and closely analyzing the differences is the quickest way to identify your mistakes. Even with that info it takes practice and more practice just don't give up... The NSX I bought last week has 1,925.1 miles on it. (there is a bug with tracking offline miles, they are only saved if you enter the car setup menu before exiting the event.)

There is a pretty steep learning curve on this one (at least for me). The advice from the others is spot on about weight transfer and not coming/ staying completely off the gas. Using an auto transmission is probably a significant disadvantage as well.

It took me quite a while before I was finally able to complete a few laps, here is the best lap time I managed so far. Once I trim it down a little more I will make note of my split times and post them.

7'23.112

Weight transfer management. The NSX is about as perfect as it gets when it comes to balance, which is part of the reason I chose it first. Start trying to use the weight of the car to help you around the corner.

And if your on a DS3 it is critical to turn the steering sensitivity all the way up.
That's probably where I lack in skill level for the weight transfer on MR cars, I am able to run a few AWD cars around the ring with the same restrictions as this and was able to complete a lap no problem. Now I know I need to work on a few things for this event, to try to improve my skills. Haven't had a chance to try the DS3, I am trying to make myself learn counter steering with my wheel. But when I was using a controller, I was using -2-0 steering sensitivity. Does steering sensitivity affect wheels as well or is that controller only?

I'm not an expert but when we were online together in the club last week it appeared you were being overly aggressive on corner speed, the throttle and braking too late.

For me the biggest misconception I had of those who had a quicker time is they were actually going a lot faster. I've came to realize that the biggest difference comes from the correct line and hugging the apex like your favorite girlfriend. Typically the fastest lap looks very controlled and easy to do but the execution and hitting your spots is very difficult. If it was not everyone would post alien times.

I think watching a faster drivers replay and closely analyzing the differences is the quickest way to identify your mistakes. Even with that info it takes practice and more practice just don't give up... The NSX I bought last week has 1,925.1 miles on it. (there is a bug with tracking offline miles, they are only saved if you enter the car setup menu before exiting the event.)
I need to adjust how I approach the corners, it's going to take me awhile to learn when and were for throttle and braking points.

Should we do the lap times online or offline?

I was trying it out offline, but not sure if we need to be online to make the lap.

To answer two quick questions..

You can run the lap on or offline, however offline offers more grip and is therefore faster. I would say the norm for the TT would be to run the lap offline and the races will obviously he held online.

And steering sensitivity only effects how fast the front wheels react to the movement of the DS3's joystick.

And another thing, this car requires a bit of patience. For me to run a comparable lap to jammy's I find I'm way way less aggressive than I was in the NSX. I spent a lot of time at half throttle and even coasting.

Remember completing the lap is more important than beating the lap, in the beginning atleast.

Also there's a bit of a surprise for week #3. And there will be an easier combo available next week as well.

7:38.546.

Still running.

Edit:

7:37.539

Ended the session with a 7:36.303.

@Ed_Night I hope you don't better this one. I have a bit left but it's hard to string it all together.

Great time mate. 👍

7:38,361 was the best i could do with the DS3.

@jammy21 : Sorry :D

2015-10-20 19.37.34.jpg

Mistakes everywhere, a perfect lap could be around 7:10.

Back