GTP Spec Miata Racing Series : Season 1 Complete; Season 2 Soon!

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,295 comments
  • 152,249 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
YouTube is easier, but either one works.

Didn't you want the files so you could scrutinize the telemetry? Simply having inputs and speed doesn't say much for the car's specs.

I don't really mind 'cause the people posting their laps here are awesome, I'll do both a replay file upload and record the video.
 
Im sure someone will be sub 42 but thats all I got boys.

Great lap! :cheers:
I woke up and did my personal best on lap 10- 42.328 :)
 
Good job Zissou. Smooth driving as always!
Good job, El Z (mumbled under my breath)

Thanks dudes! :cheers:










Also, an interesting comparison between replays-

dove1.png


dove2.png


elz1.png


elz2.png



Did you have standard physics (skid recovery force) turned on? With such a large difference in lines in the final turn, I can't think of a way the driver that leaves two full car widths of track unused could turn a faster lap than the one that doesn't. :O
 
Can we mess with suspension settings as we please?
 
Can we mess with suspension settings as we please?

Spring rates are fixed as specified in the first post, but damping and alignment are open.
 
**Your car must maintain two wheels on the track at all times.


Just for clarification purposes, are kerbs (curbs) considered part of the track surface?

I am curious as I generally try to refrain from dumping my inside wheels on the dirt at the apex of a corner and having my outside wheels ride the kerb. Is this considered off the track surface?
 
Can we mess with suspension settings as we please?

Yes. Unfortunately there is no way I can enforce limits on this, so have at it.

Just for clarification purposes, are kerbs (curbs) considered part of the track surface?

I am curious as I generally try to refrain from dumping my inside wheels on the dirt at the apex of a corner and having my outside wheels ride the kerb. Is this considered off the track surface?

Curbs are part of the track. I don't like driving like that either, but it's faster for some. When I post my video, you will see me stay 100% on the track.
 
Also, can we have a rule that posting of youtube replays be done with the chase cam? I don't think any other view is reliable for confidently deciding a lap is clean.
 
Just for clarification purposes, are kerbs (curbs) considered part of the track surface?
Can I make a suggestion? Can we go with official GTPlanet rules?

Standard Clean OLR Rules:

2 wheels on (or vertically in line with (when airborne)) the track at all times
rumble/ripple strips are part of the track run-off areas are not part of the track
no contact with walls or objects, visible or invisible
if you're not 100% sure that your lap is clean, then consider it dirty
no hybrids
no cheating of any kind
nothing that goes against the spirit of the rules
save your ghost replay


Yes, curbs are part of the track :) On a further note, anyone new to GTPlanet should really get a good understanding of the OLR (online rules) because they, the OLR, are strictly enforced in any offical GTP competition 👍

@ El Z- Kurtis Blow-ing his horn:
 
I can't think of a way the driver that leaves two full car widths of track unused could turn a faster lap than the one that doesn't. :O


Less distance traveled. Common auto-x technique. May carry a bit less speed through the finish, but covered quite a bit less ground. Not saying that is the case here, but it is a proven technique.
 
The replay angles are close enough I think.

Everyone just bear with me on this. I've never run one of these things before, and a simple idea has blown into something pretty big. :)
 
Last edited:
Less distance traveled. Common auto-x technique. May carry a bit less speed through the finish, but covered quite a bit less ground. Not saying that is the case here, but it is a proven technique.

That's what the second photo is for- it confirms that the wide line is faster. Look at the point where each car reaches 70mph. The less distance approach is almost entirely reserved for very slow cars (even slower than our little Miatas :)).
 
Less distance traveled. Common auto-x technique. May carry a bit less speed through the finish, but covered quite a bit less ground. Not saying that is the case here, but it is a proven technique.

^^This...I notice it can make a pretty big difference in T3-T4 leading onto the downhill straight too. There is a really fine line between getting it right and holding it in too tight and killing your momentum though.
 
Does the qualifying replay need to be done in practice mode or online?
 
Practice mode, as per the rules in the 1st post.
 
Did you have standard physics (skid recovery force) turned on? With such a large difference in lines in the final turn, I can't think of a way the driver that leaves two full car widths of track unused could turn a faster lap than the one that doesn't. :O

Cause I was faster everywhere else?
 
42.328 :)
 
That's what the second photo is for- it confirms that the wide line is faster. Look at the point where each car reaches 70mph. The less distance approach is almost entirely reserved for very slow cars (even slower than our little Miatas :)).


Yes, you are carrying more speed at the finish, but he his covering much less ground. Your line is at least two miata widths further out. So say 8'. Now you have to factor in the distance to get that extra 8', while still being parallel. We are talking significant distance here. Your line would be optimal for the beginning of a timed lap, as you will have more speed coming into the 1st corner. His is optimal for the end of a timed lap, as, even though he has a slower trap speed, he covers less ground to the finish, from the corner.
 
So taking a tighter line going into the longest straight out of the tightest corner is faster (going up hill also)? :lol:

Plus, for a car to take a tighter line one of two things must happen: Mid corner speed must be lower, that isn't the case-both cars go 45mph around the last turn-, or it needs to take a longer entry, which would obviously take up more time and lose more time on exit because of lower exit speed.

I did a few laps with this combo. I could pass myself every lap by taking a tighter line, but I would get passed before the finish line.
 

👍

Edit: Updated first post, and added the qualifying times next to your names. I love how close the laps are for EL_Z and EERS. :D
 
Like I said, not saying it is the case here, but is a proven technique. ;)
 
Like I said, not saying it is the case here, but is a proven technique. ;)

I won't argue that. 👍

👍

Edit: Updated first post, and added the qualifying times next to your names. I love how close the laps are for EL_Z and EERS. :D
You went from the mountains to the desert?! :lol: I lived in Peoria for a couple years, good luck come summer! It is a great place to live though.
 
You went from the mountains to the desert?! :lol: I lived in Peoria for a couple years, good luck come summer! It is a great place to live though.

Yeah... Did it for school, which didn't happen. So now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life. (and I'm almost 26. Imagine that...)
 
Gtp=odog8
PSN=od0g8 .....(3rd character is a Zero)
Region=central texas
Body= Yellow
Wheels= Black
 
Well, standard physics was fun, but after about 10 minutes I started to feel like I wasn't really driving a car. You can pretty much get away with anything. Turned a 41.990 after 8 laps. I bet with some practice, a 40 or even 39 is possible, if one were to study all the ways to exploit it-

[YOUTUBEHD]wlX4JkkIKNc[/YOUTUBEHD]



Do I get to have a 41 next to my name?
badteeth.gif
 
Cause I was faster everywhere else?

Well, standard physics was fun, but after about 10 minutes I started to feel like I wasn't really driving a car. You can pretty much get away with anything. Turned a 41.990 after 8 laps. I bet with some practice, a 40 or even 39 is possible, if one were to study all the ways to exploit it-

Na, he was just faster everywhere else. :dunce:
 
For the record, I haven't urinated anywhere in this thread 👍

Did you have standard physics (skid recovery force) turned on? With such a large difference in lines in the final turn, I can't think of a way the driver that leaves two full car widths of track unused could turn a faster lap than the one that doesn't.

I tried hard to phrase my question in a respectful way- please let me know where I could have improved.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back