GTP Spec Miata Racing Series : Season 1 Complete; Season 2 Soon!

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,295 comments
  • 152,252 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF, Turbo? Happy belated birthday dude! You should have told everyone to simmer yesterday so they wouldn't have harshed your birthday mellow. :dopey:
 
At minimum I will be making the driver/room changes. I think doing that will increase the level of competition for both rooms. All other changes can wait for next season.

Will people changing divisions begin in the new division with zero points? I thought I saw something earlier in the thread that suggested the leader from the slower group would become the leader for the faster group. Maybe you just had the points next to their name as a reference for ordering them for classification into each division. It kind of made me start thinking of some funny real-world sports analogies. :O
 
Will people changing divisions begin in the new division with zero points? I thought I saw something earlier in the thread that suggested the leader from the slower group would become the leader for the faster group.

I am fine with that. I [just] want to ride my bicycle... errrr, race my Spec Miata.

Edit: Actually, I really want to ride my Bianchi, too. Stupid snow and ice.
 
WTF, Turbo? Happy belated birthday dude! You should have told everyone to simmer yesterday so they wouldn't have harshed your birthday mellow. :dopey:

Eh, just another day for me now. :indiff:

Will people changing divisions begin in the new division with zero points? I thought I saw something earlier in the thread that suggested the leader from the slower group would become the leader for the faster group. Maybe you just had the points next to their name as a reference for ordering them for classification into each division. It kind of made me start thinking of some funny real-world sports analogies. :O

When I made the list, points had nothing to do with it. I started by writing everyone's names down in which room I thought they should be in based off of performance from the first two races. Then I copied over the points.

:)👍
 
Eh, just another day for me now. :indiff:

Feck that noise! Everybody's b-day should be like TRON day! I am going to send you a present. I don't know what yet, but I figure it has to be something with a turbo.

Edit: Yes, TRON as in the movie TRON. If people haven't figured it out yet, TRON is one of my favorite movies because I find humor in the weirdest places. Plus, the Dude is magnificent.
 
Will people changing divisions begin in the new division with zero points? I thought I saw something earlier in the thread that suggested the leader from the slower group would become the leader for the faster group. Maybe you just had the points next to their name as a reference for ordering them for classification into each division. It kind of made me start thinking of some funny real-world sports analogies. :O

That was a suggestion on my part to see if turbo would like the idea. As of now there's no indication that it would be implemented for NEXT season. I think making a drastic change like that would be too much for the current one.
 

Ahh cool man I hadn't seen that post of yours. 💡


I am fine with that. I [just] want to ride my bicycle... errrr, race my Spec Miata.

Me tooooooooooo dude! I can't wait to try this thing at Indy, it should be a lot of fun through some of the twisty stuff on there. :dopey:
 
We could do that, but if the first qualifying session didn't work, what's to say this one will?

Dude, I don't care all that much about any of this. It's just a video game. The first qualifying you did DID work. It culled out the 60+ people wanting to be in the series down to a functional group of about 30.We didd that on a silly little backwards track that we weren't even racing on vs. the actual week in and out tracks that we do. The only thing I am suggesting by doing a full group qualifying and gridding on each actual race night is that will set the 2 rooms equally based on how people actually qualified for that race and that track. Top 50% times are in room A and bottom 50% times in Room B. That's it. All this is just a suggestion. It's your show. Do as you please.
 
Me tooooooooooo dude! I can't wait to try this thing at Indy, it should be a lot of fun through some of the twisty stuff on there. :dopey:

Right on! The first sector is actually pretty tasty, especially braking and corner-entry for Turn 6. Oh and BIG NEWS EVERYONE: we'll actually get to use fifth gear on a normal basis for the first time all season! :dunce:

I think I should cancel my afternoon meeting and take a long lunch for the rest of the day so I can go do some testing.
 
Should we schedule a short practice race for later in the week based on the new rooms? just to test it out?
 
At minimum I will be making the driver/room changes. I think doing that will increase the level of competition for both rooms. All other changes can wait for next season.

How bout ride out the season and see wher everyone stands? Some may have done crap in the first 2 races but might shine in the nex couple. I myself Podiumed in the second race but have no point in the first race cuz I wasnt in the series.

I may continue to podium, or i may drop into last who knows.

Personaly I think it is too early to see where everyone stands especialy since just cuz someone can take hours of time and do a quick qualifying lap doesnt mean they will me good at wheel to wheel racing which brings in a whole bunch of variables.
 
I'm actually snowed in right now.

"In Atlanta, roads have turned into skating rinks with 415 car accidents reported by 9 A.M. Tuesday morning, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution."
usa-weather-2.jpg


Hey tt, do they make blizzaks in size 305/30-19? :dopey:
 
How bout ride out the season and see wher everyone stands?

Cause it's not working right now?

This is really just a test season now. So making changes is a good idea, then we'll decide what's best and keep them 100% for next season.
 
"In Atlanta, roads have turned into skating rinks with 415 car accidents reported by 9 A.M. Tuesday morning, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution."
usa-weather-2.jpg


Hey tt, do they make blizzaks in size 305/30-19? :dopey:

LOL- you should see it here! I went kayaking in Piedmont park yesterday as a sled. even got on the news! and broke my kayak.

I've been dying to take the 997TT out in this and have some fun with the AWD but I can't get out of my freaking driveway in anything but my truck.
 
well i dont think that is fair turbo. i spent too much hours qualifing for group A. LOL but anyway.
This.

With everyone keeping their current points from the last two races, this is what the new points would look like:

R1600Turbo
Room A:
iamjamen (38 pts)
R1600Turbo (-3)
EL_ZISSOU (-7)
Egghead43 (-9)
SpecMiata-JSW (-9)
vanos2990 (-9)
LVSX4MZ3 (-10)
Samhain85 (-12)
filphil89 (-12)
GrahamTurismo (-16)
Dr Wankel (-18)
Imari (-19)
Spyhunter (-23)

Room B
Wardez (22 pts)
Jay_B_II (-1)
motortrend (-3)
sonic-_-89b (-5)
AlGreene71 (-6)
apradel (-6)
anorexicroadstr (-7)
tt997 (-8)
fitftw (8)
the stig14 (-10)
tsnacks (-11)
Duke (-12)
kona309 (-13)
adeadsnipermatt (-14)
So based on the new lists and point organization it looks like some people are getting the short end of the stick. As a quick example (I don't know everyone's positions in the last race and Wardez hasn't made up his awesome graphics yet, but) it seems like vanos2990 made 2nd place in both races. Sure he's fast and he could definitely compete with some of the faster people in group A, but now it looks like he's the 6th fastest overall. So for the remainder of the series he may not be able to make as many points. Same with me: I qualified 7th and finished 7th in the last race so I'm pretty consistent. Now it looks as if I'll be placing 10th for the remainder of the series. Of course racing is unpredictable and this may not be the case, but on paper that's what it's looking like.

So now we are grouped based on our points from racing with entirely different people? Makes no sense.
It doesn't at all. This is beneficial for some people and detrimental to others. I'm not saying it's favoritism or prejudice of some sort, but it could be taken that way.

Turn the light penalties on, have drivers race in the divisions they qualified for, crown your champions a month from now, and make your decisions about changes and get the next season going. 👍
Definitely. I disagree with penalties, but I'd rather take that over shuffling everything around mid-season.



Edit: But it looks as if my internet being down since last night has put me far behind in this thread. Oh well.
 
Last edited:
I say we all put on our man pants, let Turbo decide what changes he feels his series needs, and go racing. 👍 :sly:


Can't do Thursday at teh time posted. Actually, probably can't do Thrus. at all. :grumpy:
 
It doesn't at all. This is beneficial for some people and detrimental to others. I'm not saying it's favoritism or prejudice of some sort, but it could be taken that way.

Everyone keeps missing the post where I said the new lists were NOT based on points. I based them on my opinion of driver performance (in no particular order) and then went through and added the points. Points have nothing to do with it.
 
Personally, I think close racing should be the number one goal. If fiddling with the groups achieves that, cool. If it means a few people get more or less points than they otherwise would have, is that a problem?

If it came down to it, would you rather have close races every week where you were fighting for tenth, or would you rather dominate your group by 30+ seconds and not see another driver after the second lap? In real life, it's not totally mutually exclusive like that, but you need to decide what's more important to you. Good gameplay? Or winning?
 
Everyone keeps missing the post where I said the new lists were NOT based on points. I based them on my opinion of driver performance (in no particular order) and then went through and added the points. Points have nothing to do with it.
I didn't miss that post and I'm not saying you made the new list based on points. But you added the points in and put them in order which is, of course, a good indicator as to what the finishing positions will likely be. And of course now that I think about it, the whole two groups/two sets of points things is what seems really off to begin with. Because if that truly IS the order in which everyone roughly sits in terms of performance how does that work out for the few that are among the slower part of Group A?

Say for instance you got your estimates right and I am slower than everyone above me and faster than everyone below me on that list. How is it that the person in Group B who WINS the next race gets more points than I or whoever comes last in Group A? If the person who comes last in Group A had a faster overall time than the winner of Group B then they should get more points right?

The reorganization would work if the point system was reworked as well. The way it is now would have the 2nd to last slowest person overall get more points than the slowest of Group A.

What I'm saying is that the points are structured out for what is essentially two completely separate races. An example would be if Turbo held a race of 16 people max and those that didn't make the top 16 started another thread and another series based on all the same principals but ran their OWN race of 16 max players. Since this race series has nearly 30 people the points need to be distributed evenly across the entire field instead of in two groups.

Of course that would mean that if the person who wins in Group B runs a faster overall time than a few people in Group A then they are definitely entitled to more points.

I think the flaw in all of this is that the series is FAR more popular than anyone could anticipate. Restricting registration in a race series to 16 people seems like the most ideal way to go for now until PD showers us with a miracle update that would allow 32 racers to a track at once. But you can't very well just tell half the people here (who all love the series!) to bugger off. So for now all that can be done is restructure the point system to accommodate everyone fairly.
 
I have a room up at Indy Road,

GTP_SPEC_MIATA_practi

Down gotta run errands, see you guys tonight if one is up
 
Last edited:
So for now all that can be done is restructure the point system to accommodate everyone fairly.

Or just kill the whole thing.

There is no way to "accommodate everyone fairly". The winner of Group B is going to feel cheated if they get less points than the last place Group A finisher.

One room isn't going to work either as you said. I don't want to be the person telling them they can't race.

I'm thinking the solution here is to run the series/races, but don't have a points championship.
 
No, like I said you could give more points to the Group B winner if they run faster. Basically just run both races and reward points based on total time. But then it's almost like the old school OLR stuff that was done with GT4 and we're basically time trial-ing against one another all over again. So yeah, we could eliminate the points and people could focus on close racing and having fun rather than trying to win (or place well in) a championship.
 
That's probably going to be the easiest solution. That way when new people come into the series, they can just hop in and race without have to be placed somewhere. If we can all agree to drop the points then I'll fix the front page and that's how we'll run, although I would like to try out the new groups to see how that goes...
 
I think he meant kill the whole point system... not the series altogether. 👍

And I agree. Removing the points will hopefully also remove the inclination for some to cheat.
 
So can we settle this finally?

No points, and rooms based on my new list?

TT would you like to host room 2?
 
If you drop the points, then are you allowing others to join in random races? I wouldn't mind racing in your series, but cannot commit to every week at your current time. Have love practicing with you. Wouldn't mind joining a race if there is room and I wouldn't be screwing up anyone's points in a series. Let me know.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back