GTP WRS-Online : Event 22 : Rain Dance - Feb 8/11

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 132 comments
Cancelled my entry for tomorrow, local derby match cant believe I got days mixed up, at least I'll be out in the freezing weather good fun.

Are there any new tunes to post or is that one by Max the only one?

Al

Are there any new tunes to post or is that one by Max the only one?

Al

Give this a try Al:
Vagabond
Tricky little bugger this.

1'00.376

Setup thus far:

Max aero

Suspension:
0/0
9.0/9.9
7/7
7/7
4/4
2.0/1.0
0.00/0.00

LSD:
9/13/5

Transmission:
Tranny trick, max speed @ 161mph

Brakes:
2/1 ABS 10

I'm pretty sure I'm using it exactly the same online, but with the LSD settings I gave you earlier at practice. I did lower the settings again, but I'm not certain where to (8/16/7 I think).

For an alien tune it's strangely neutral, and very stable which is what I think is it's greatest strength.
Usually I love this car whippy - like the race at AR, but that would be disastrous here.

One thing I like about Pekka's tune is it works in the dry. :dopey:

Since we don't know what we're going to get that's a good feature. I'm not sure it's ideal at over 80% water... at that surface water level we should drop a hockey puck and see who can score at Degner 2.

Tooling around in the rain @ Suzuka again... GTP_3D3_Racing.

I am unable to get online with PSN. Anyone else having an issue?

Al

I am unable to get online with PSN. Anyone else having an issue?

Al

I see you got on the network because you were practicing with us! I would assume you needed to apply the PS3 system update first?

Anyway, good practice with Lucas and Al. We had an awesome rain cycle where it started at 50% got up to 100% and then dried all the way back to 0%... that was awesome on the way through the dry cycle... changing from rain to intermediate and then to hard tires and battling every lap for fast lap and resetting it each lap. Same thing happened this afternoon with Speedy, Marc and Pekka. I hope we get that outcome at least once tomorrow.

Good night and see you tomorrow. 👍

That was fun! The laps just got better and better, contrary to our normal races, where the tire wear just makes me slower and slower.

I should know in the morning whether or not I can make the NA race.

Looks like I'm in, for the NA. 👍 Just registered my #3 orange/blue hydroplane!

Looks like I'm in, for the NA. 👍 Just registered my #3 orange/blue hydroplane!

Ahhh, that's sweet of you to think of me while choosing your paint job. My infuence is so widespread, it's become subliminal :lol:

Unfortunately I have to cancel my entry for the EU race. RL keeps rearing it's unwanted head lately cutting down on wheel time :( Stupid bills and stuff needing to get paid and all....

I'll be in the NA race for sure 👍

I'm going to make EU, but I'm going to be late for pre-race practice... Hopefully be there in 45 minutes. Speedy and Pekka are taking point for EU this week. 👍

GTP_3D3Racing lounge is now open for EU pre-race practice/warm up

Why my connection has to suck so much. I don't know if someone is kicking me out or I am being constantly disconnected (thank you vague Polish translation!), but I can't spend more than 40 seconds in lounge without being kicked to GTlife screen. I tried four times - this is pointless... :X

Livestream going up in ~13 min.

Edit: Offline again now
See you in 5 hours

Last edited:
The race was.. good.
It was easy to concentrate staying on the road , when there was allways someone in the sight to chase. :D

I've updated my setup to contain the changes I made during the weeks for the online race.

Very good race pekka, I could only stay in your slipstream for 2 laps after you went passed. Congratulations on your 2nd place finish after starting 8th.
Good win Wes, it looked a good battle with twissy until the pit stop. I could see your positions change every couple of laps.
Good race today, the weather made things very interesting. Can't wait for the NA race later.

Why my connection has to suck so much. I don't know if someone is kicking me out or I am being constantly disconnected (thank you vague Polish translation!), but I can't spend more than 40 seconds in lounge without being kicked to GTlife screen. I tried four times - this is pointless... :X

Sorry Art. Don't give up until you troubleshoot.

The key is the router. A few options include bipassing it and setting up NAT 1 (no router) or configuring the router so that it doesn't interfere.

Bipassing the router for NAT 1 is the fail safe way but requires everything else in your household be offline while you race so it's not always an option. Basically you plug your PS3 directly into your DSL/Cable modem and the connection is dedicated to your PS3. Hydro (Marc) uses this setup exclusively when he hosts.

The alternative is to change something on the router. Enable DMZ and assign the DMZ IP to whatever you PS3 has for an IP. Also upgrade the firmware on your router, etc. Both Gravitron (Lucas) and I use this setup.

If your connection itself is unstable you are out of luck... but more likely it's just the router not behaving well. If you happen to have a DSL/Cable modem that is also a router they are known to be issues. The combined devices are trouble. Lucas ended up going to his provider and getting a newer/better combined router/modem and his connection has been better since.

Even if you get all this fixed it doesn't mean you will never get a DC, but it will be the exception not the rule. If you get booted after a few moments consistently -- it's 99% your router not working well with the routers of the other drivers.

Congratz to Wes on another victory. Not only was he fast, but he made the right call on tires switching to Intermediates whereas Twissy went with Racing Hard.

event22_res_eu.png

The weather was interesting. Raining at the start and surface water increased for a couple laps then it stopped and started to dry which wasn't much of a surprise. But around lap 15 it started "spitting" rain and the surface water just stayed at the same level. We haven't witnessed that outcome before. Finally the last few laps the rain started a little heavier and water levels rose again. Fun stuff:

event22_surfacewater_eu.png

There were many technical difficulties at the start. Quali had to reset do to me putting in the wrong weather setting. Then quali timing monitor didn't work. Then room froze completely and people had to disconnect. Then I couldn't get in the lounge. Finally we were all staged and set with race timer going and Don got DC'd. PD is making a mess of things, but the racing was worth the trouble in the end.

Really sorry Don, the timing of your DC was just terrible. Had it happened 1 minute sooner we could have just waited to start the timer, but at that point another room reset with weather reset and another staging would have been required and we were already 20+ minutes behind schedule.

Haven't made one of these in a long time, but here's a video grab of the first 3 laps. Basically no time for edits so it's just raw footage. Still cool to see:

Watching the start of the race again reminds me how much I enjoy racing in this series against WRS drivers. Slippery track, loose car, unpredictable conditions and everyone gets through turn 1 clean as a whistle -- nobody trying to win the race in the first corner. 👍 :bowdown:

JTV shows you how to pass here. Pressure the guy and he'll make a mistake if he's driving in his mirror in the rain. Unfortunately that mistake was by me. :dunce: I got back on track fairly quick, but the car was on ice for a while. Luckily Pekka is highly skilled and avoided my follow up spin and didn't even go off track. My 2nd return to track I was very careful and waited patiently for a long opening... in front of Chuk. :sly:

Yep very good win for Wes, just wish I hadn't chosen racing hards at the pit, I was hoping for it to continue drying, but didnt anticipate it staying above 20% surface water.

I was driving like a muppet at times and decided to throw myself of the track a few times like a :dunce: especially on the last last at spoon had a nice drive through the beach.

ah well onto the next one 👍

Watching the start of the race again reminds me how much I enjoy racing in this series against WRS drivers. Slippery track, loose car, unpredictable conditions and everyone gets through turn 1 clean as a whistle -- nobody trying to win the race in the first corner. 👍 :bowdown:

JTV shows you how to pass here. Pressure the guy and he'll make a mistake if he's driving in his mirror in the rain. Unfortunately that mistake was by me. :dunce: I got back on track fairly quick, but the car was on ice for a while. Luckily Pekka is highly skilled and avoided my follow up spin and didn't even go off track. My 2nd return to track I was very careful and waited patiently for a long opening... in front of Chuk. :sly:

Man do you hate that corner Tim.
Anytime I hear about you spinning off track without contact, my first question is always 'racing at Suzy eh?' :lol:
I'd go even further and mention that it's always the same corner, but that would be mean ;)
Watch the road, not the rear-view 👍

Edit: Congrats Wes... what the heck do we have to do to slow you down? Were you running the car at the required weight of 2500 KG?

Man do you hate that corner Tim.
Anytime I hear about you spinning off track without contact, my first question is always 'racing at Suzy eh?' :lol:
I'd go even further and mention that it's always the same corner, but that would be mean ;)
Watch the road, not the rear-view 👍

It's not my fault. I'm an animal lover and these things live in a hole in the ground right there. All the other mean drivers don't seem to care (especially wes who goes faster when they appear), but my heart is just too big to ignore the poor creatures and risk injuring one.

CrazyAudiSquirrel.jpg

There's something about that Squirrel I just don't trust.......
CrazyAudiSquirrel-wes.jpg

NA Race lobby is open for Pre-race practice.

No stream - poor Christophe needs more than 5 hours sleep. Hope it's a good race guys 👍

Fun race tonight guys. I actually had the lead for a lap :dopey: and then my usual Suzuka antics took over and I end up in a sand pit.

Congratz to Pekka for incredible pace -- especially in the dry... your fast lap had the field covered by 1.5 seconds... kind of like offline wasn't it?

event22_res_na.png

We had less surface water tonight, but this car is just so fun to drive it didn't matter. I actually had a lot more close battles in the NA race and with two major incidents had fun passing packs of cars twice and short pitting. I gambled on dry tires before anyone else (lap 12) and I stole a couple spots with that decision. Still couldn't catch that pesky JTV who was as consistent as ever. 👍

event22_surfacewater_na.png

Last edited:
I think everyone had a good race. Pekka picked up the win with a good drive, Marc finished 10 sec down in 2nd. I managed a third 12 sec further back with Tim 3 sec behind me.
From what I could tell everyone had an excursion off the track at one point or another with battles up and down the grid through most of the race.
Very interesting race to drive and now I am going to watch the replay :D

Edit: Love the graphs Tim great work

Back