GTP WRS-Online : Event 22 : Rain Dance - Feb 8/11

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 132 comments
JTV shows you how to pass here. Pressure the guy and he'll make a mistake if he's driving in his mirror in the rain. Unfortunately that mistake was by me. :dunce: I got back on track fairly quick, but the car was on ice for a while. Luckily Pekka is highly skilled and avoided my follow up spin and didn't even go off track. My 2nd return to track I was very careful and waited patiently for a long opening... in front of Chuk. :sly:

I remember that dodge very well ,
I saw you coming back on track and I watched you very closely for any follow up drifts.
Having prepared for avoiding manouvers I could pretty swiftly change my line and luckily stay on track.

Congratz to Pekka for incredible pace -- especially in the dry... your fast lap had the field covered by 1.5 seconds... kind of like offline wasn't it?

Offline was as slippery as Racing Intermedis on 65-70% online.
So , basicly the online race was far easyer than offlline TT. (because of the low surface water %)

Once the track dried up I started to push hard for a fastest lap which got me to overdrive the car ,
leading to beach tour at Spoon on the last lap.
On my fastest lap I got draft from GTP_Allibudda99 from mid-last corner to the line. Thanks Al. 👍

Did a lap chart for the NA race. I think i'll do one for the EU race a bit later. :D

picture.php

P.S. Excel doesn't let me start at Lap 0, so Lap 1 is the Grid.

That was one of the online highlights for me. Just after KazSpa. Didn't even matter where I placed, since the last few laps I was alone, but holy, what a great combo. 👍

Congrats Pekka, Marc, and John for the podiums! :cheers: Of course, best laps are a bit dubious in this case, but I got 2nd-best. :P

Am still confused about how Tim got in front of me, but I'll check the replay tomorrow. :grumpy:

And a huge :cheers: to Joe for ~7 laps of close fighting, where I seriously could not get past. You were damn consistent until that Casio exit slip. 👍

Missed you tonight Chuk!

@jtv: Loving that chart. Nice job staying out of reach of the evil Goldmember, Tim. :odd:

Last edited:
Missed you tonight Chuk!

I had a massive equipment failure about fifteen minutes before practice, namely my DFP broke. :banghead: I was just too tired and frustrated at the time to fix it. :mad: It's always missed a shift at random times, but last night it slipped a gear and wouldn't steer straight anymore. :grumpy:

I'm putting a new wheel on my set-up now. I'll let you know how it works. :)

Am still confused about how Tim got in front of me, but I'll check the replay tomorrow. :grumpy:

Looking at the replay I had a very good out-lap after switching to R1 tires. It felt slippy, but on replay it looks like I hit my marks pretty well and I think I was 2 seconds faster than intermediates at that point. If everyone had waited until lap 15 to pit like in the EU race I might have actually made a podium. Also maybe examine pit entrance speed... it's a bit tricky there coming out of Casio in the wet and angling in the pits...

After all that it could be my pit crew was just faster. :dopey:

I think I've figured it out. I'll put a pic up soon.

Also, the lap where I stayed out while you pitted I was about 2sec slower than I should have been, so that's part of it too. Then there's me creeping into my pit stall slower than normal. And then there's (pic coming)...

Lazy sacks of 🤬!
SuzukaCircuit.jpg

And nice air JTV! Didn't know Suzuka had any jumps, especially near the exit of Spoon! :lol: Think this was lap 5.
SuzukaCircuit_1.jpg

SuzukaCircuit_2.jpg

Last edited:
Lucas, your images are all broken...

EDIT: Fixed.

The austrailians always get racing and flying mixed up:

f1_webber_crash_3.jpg

or... 512K internet... gives you wings. :sly:

Last edited:
Here's what scares me aboot Pekka:

He took the win with a 9 second gap to me in second place.
I was only able to pass him twice - lap 1 when he went off in Turn 1, and lap 13 (14?) when he went off in Degner 2.
I had almost a 4 second lead after our pit stop on lap 15. He passed me on the straight 1 lap later, and I never had a chance from there.

From what I understand he went off (significantly) at least 4 times, I never did. Laps 5, 6, and 7 were a bit shaky for me, but nothing serious, and Degner 2 was killing me when we switched to RH's, but again, nothing too serious.
I'm guessing he would have won by over 40 seconds at least had he stayed on track the entire race - probably more.
Crazy :bowdown:

Here's what scares me aboot Pekka:

He took the win with a 9 second gap to me in second place.
I was only able to pass him twice - lap 1 when he went off in Turn 1, and lap 13 (14?) when he went off in Degner 2.
I had almost a 4 second lead after our pit stop on lap 15. He passed me on the straight 1 lap later, and I never had a chance from there.

From what I understand he went off (significantly) at least 4 times, I never did. Laps 5, 6, and 7 were a bit shaky for me, but nothing serious, and Degner 2 was killing me when we switched to RH's, but again, nothing too serious.
I'm guessing he would have won by over 40 seconds at least had he stayed on track the entire race - probably more.
Crazy :bowdown:

I watched the timing monitor and your laps on Racing Hards were very conservative TBH. You probably had 2nd locked up and weren't pushing to do the nearly impossible and catch Pekka. If you watch those of us really forced to push and battling for 3-4-5 (JVT, myself, Gravitron) were running a second+ faster than you -- in some cases I saw a second in a sector. We weren't close enough to actually draft or pass, but the gaps were shrinking for us and there was hope that one minor mistake and we could gain a spot. On the final lap or so, however, you turned up the proverbial wick and ran a mid/low 2'09 so I think you just got in a safe groove and played it smart for 2nd place.

Not to say Pekka wasn't fast, but it explains why he beat you with that gap in 5 laps. The other thing about Pekka's off track excursions is he has a knack of making them less painful versus mine where I always get spun around facing the wrong way and can't get back on track or I end up face planted on a wall and have to reverse when it's safe. :dunce: Pekka is good even when he screws up.

Of course then there's Wes... when do we get to see him screw up? When it happens I'm getting it on youtube. :lol:

Thank you all:cheers:
Good race from you too Twissy, unfortunate with the strategy again; but that's racing.:sly:

I have fans.:lol:

And Tim, I did dip my tyres onto the sand once coming out of spoon..:dopey:

And Tim, I did dip my tyres onto the sand once coming out of spoon..:dopey:

No! I want a legit spin, crash, punt, something... c'mon man you can do better than a little bit of sand.

Idea... Just follow me around Suzuka and I'll show you how to screw up and go off track in every single corner. I've been honing my technique since the BEC @ Suzuka which was the first time I ever ran on this track. Ask Hydro, he'll tell you I'm the expert here and I've spent enough time on the Suzuka beach front that I have a tan to show for it.

Anyone up for a retread of this combo on Saturday? You name the time and I'll try to be there! Speedy? Anyone?

Like Tim mentioned. Anyone up for this again on Saturday?
I can open the room at about 7:30 - 8 PM GMT.
Ready to race, I will be at ~9 PM GMT
Put your name after mine (follow format)

Saturday Feb 11 '12 Sign up sheet:

1. Speedy6543 | GTP_Speedy6543 | Division 2 Silver | BE GMT+1 | ~10 PM GMT

{not necessarily limited to 12 drivers so add additional lines as necessary.}

To sign up please quote the latest version of this message, remove the quote tags and add your name to the list.
Use this format to add your information:
GTP username | PSN ID | Division | Time Zone | ETA in lobby​

No! I want a legit spin, crash, punt, something... c'mon man you can do better than a little bit of sand.

Idea... Just follow me around Suzuka and I'll show you how to screw up and go off track in every single corner. I've been honing my technique since the BEC @ Suzuka which was the first time I ever ran on this track. Ask Hydro, he'll tell you I'm the expert here and I've spent enough time on the Suzuka beach front that I have a tan to show for it.

Anyone up for a retread of this combo on Saturday? You name the time and I'll try to be there! Speedy? Anyone?
That was the first time you even run on this track?:crazy:
If I would show you my first and second time on this track you would be :embarrassed: and :lol:
I'm still not with the fastest on this track so for a human I think this track takes a year if not more to get right.. no kidding.
Spinning out... what about the 111R at Autumn ring..💡

I'm in for Saturday.:)

Never.;)

Lotus Elise '96 Race Modified @ Suzuka Circuit/Weather Change
Saturday February 11 2012

2. w-g-e | GTP_w-g-e | Division 1 Silver | NL GMT+1 | ???
3. WRP001 | GTP_WRP001 | Division 2 Bronze | US Pacific GMT-8 | {Name the time and I'll be there}

To sign up please quote the latest version of this message, remove the quote tags and add your name to the list.

---------------------------

Same specs I assume? Online quali / 20 laps / etc.

I signed up Wes also since he said he was in and so it doesn't get lost, but didn't specify times that work for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some highlights from the NA race last night. Now I left my cutting tool on the floor so there is no editing and it's over 18 minutes long... sorry, but there was some good stuff.

Last edited:

3. WRP001 | GTP_WRP001 | Division 2 Bronze | US Pacific GMT-8 | {Name the time and I'll be there}
4. jtv90069 | gtp_jtv90069 | Division 3 Silver | Aus CST GMT+10.5 | 1 hour before it starts :D

Last edited by a moderator:
4. jtv90069 | gtp_jtv90069 | Division 3 Silver | Aus CST GMT+9.5 | 1 hour before it starts :D

Oh No! More trips around Suzuka trying to chase you down only to see that you don't make many mistakes and I can't catch up. Sounds like a fun time to me!

So I'm not 100% clear on the proposed start time. Looks like Speedy is ready to race at 9:00 PM GMT. Does that mean you'll be ready to sit down to practice / warm up or you'll be ready to start the quali by this time?

If you are just able to just get at the wheel it probably makes sense to start quali ~ 9:30 GMT and give you 30 minutes practice. That would target a first race lap start of about 9:50 PM GMT between room reset and staging. Should get us through the race by 10:40 PM GMT.

How does that sound for timing?

Lounge Open: 21:00 GMT / 4:00 PM Eastern / 1:00 PM Pacific
Quali Start: 22:00 GMT / 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific
Race Start: Immediately following 15-minute Quali Session

Last edited:
Any time sounds good Tim. Just realized it's GMT +10.5 while we are on daylight savings.
9pm GMT is 7:30am Sunday here :D I get a sleep in :lol: but if you want to have it earlier or later then it is fine by me and I will set my alarm for it (usually 1 hour before room opens so I can have coffees shower etc. to wake up).

Any time sounds good Tim. Just realized it's GMT +10.5 while we are on daylight savings.
9pm GMT is 7:30am Sunday here :D I get a sleep in :lol: but if you want to have it earlier or later then it is fine by me and I will set my alarm for it (usually 1 hour before room opens so I can have coffees shower etc. to wake up).

I think Speedy needs it to be that late anyway so you're good. I'm pretty flexible. We may not actually start the race until 10 PM so you'll have time to 'wake up' before qualifying. :sly: Not too much as I need to get a jump on you at the start. We'll have to wait for Speedy to wake up in the morning to let us know. :sly:

Like Tim mentioned. Anyone up for this again on Saturday?
I can open the room at about 7:30 - 8 PM GMT.
Ready to race, I will be at ~9 PM GMT

I think all Speedy's info was already listed. 👍

4. jtv90069 | gtp_jtv90069 | Division 3 Silver | Aus CST GMT+10.5 | 1 hour before it starts :D
5. Gravitron | GTP_Gravitron | Division 2 Bronze | US Pacific GMT-8 | ~10 PM GMT | 50% sure

I watched the timing monitor and your laps on Racing Hards were very conservative TBH. You probably had 2nd locked up and weren't pushing to do the nearly impossible and catch Pekka. If you watch those of us really forced to push and battling for 3-4-5 (JVT, myself, Gravitron) were running a second+ faster than you -- in some cases I saw a second in a sector. We weren't close enough to actually draft or pass, but the gaps were shrinking for us and there was hope that one minor mistake and we could gain a spot. On the final lap or so, however, you turned up the proverbial wick and ran a mid/low 2'09 so I think you just got in a safe groove and played it smart for 2nd place.

Not to say Pekka wasn't fast, but it explains why he beat you with that gap in 5 laps. The other thing about Pekka's off track excursions is he has a knack of making them less painful versus mine where I always get spun around facing the wrong way and can't get back on track or I end up face planted on a wall and have to reverse when it's safe. :dunce: Pekka is good even when he screws up.

Of course then there's Wes... when do we get to see him screw up? When it happens I'm getting it on youtube. :lol:

Not conservative, more like crap.
My total test time with RH tires was the final 5 laps of the race :)
I really didn't think they would be needed, and I ran very few practice laps this week (none had water below 30% anyway).
I still think the strength in Chris' tune was the stability, then I added a long gearbox to make it even safer and by doing so it lost all of the usual Lotus magic when the track dried up.
First laps on RH were too slippy, then the last couple were way to grippy. Still, it worked out ok - better than OK 👍

Not conservative, more like crap.
My total test time with RH tires was the final 5 laps of the race :)
I really didn't think they would be needed, and I ran very few practice laps this week (none had water below 30% anyway).
I still think the strength in Chris' tune was the stability, then I added a long gearbox to make it even safer and by doing so it lost all of the usual Lotus magic when the track dried up.
First laps on RH were too slippy, then the last couple were way to grippy. Still, it worked out ok - better than OK 👍

Are you going to join us Saturday? I hope so as I intend to prove to you that I can stay on track at Suzuka [I hope :scared:]. I have no illusion of victory since Wes is going to race so it'll be all about keeping it clean.

4. jtv90069 | gtp_jtv90069 | Division 3 Silver | Aus CST GMT+10.5 | 1 hour before it starts
5. Gravitron | GTP_Gravitron | Division 2 Bronze | US Pacific GMT-8 | ~10 PM GMT | 50% sure
6. mohitraina91 | GTP_gooners_17 | Division 2 Bronze | CAN EST -5 | All day er'ry day

GTP username | PSN ID | Division | Time Zone | ETA in lobby

How does that sound for timing?

Lounge Open: 20:00 GMT / 3:00 PM Eastern / 12:00 noon Pacific
Quali Start: 22:00 GMT / 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific
Race Start: Immediately following 15-minute Quali Session

Adjusted 'lounge open' timings.
The rest sounds good.
Gives me some time to practice some more. :sly:

Speedy6543
Adjusted 'lounge open' timings.
The rest sounds good.
Gives me some time to practice some more. :sly:

Two hours of practice? I'll be there about 30 minutes before quali (45 tops) and that's about it. Let's decide on the quali time... Looks like 22:00 GMT and people can show up whenever they want for practice. 👍

Looks like 22:00 GMT and people can show up whenever they want for practice. 👍

Yep, people can even do a shorter (10 lap?) race (say 21 GMT) in between if everyone in the lounge agrees.
Reserving 21:30 GMT for pre-race warm up and 22 GMT for 15 min single stint quali, followed by the race.

Speedy6543
Yep, people can even do a shorter (10 lap?) race (say 21 GMT) in between if everyone in the lounge agrees.
Reserving 21:30 GMT for pre-race warm up and 22 GMT for 15 min single stint quali, followed by the race.

👍

I see you took part in GTRA test today. Were the private lounge connection issues the same we had in the EU race?

Strange that a public lobby made any diff... Wondering if the host changed and that was the real issue versus private vs public lobby. Nat 1 host seems like a good call... No issues when hydro hosted NA race.

If only we could keep public out of public lobbies... What a pain they were for the super gt tournament!

2. w-g-e | GTP_w-g-e | Division 1 Silver | NL GMT+1 | Any time between 6 PM and 2 AM GMT
4. jtv90069 | gtp_jtv90069 | Division 3 Silver | Aus CST GMT+10.5 | 1 hour before it starts
6. mohitraina91 | GTP_gooners_17 | Division 2 Bronze | CAN EST -5 | All day er'ry day

GTP username | PSN ID | Division | Time Zone | ETA in lobby

Thanks for the nice video, Tim.

Kevin, I see you're back from Android 3 already. Did you bring us back some nice souvenirs? I think Chuk was hoping for some alien foam.

Back