GTP WRS-Online : Event 22 : Rain Dance - Feb 8/11

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 132 comments
Pekka, totally forgot to congratulate you on the NA win. Congratulations.:cheers:

Lotus Elise '96 Race Modified @ Suzuka Circuit/Weather Change
Date: Saturday February 11 2012
Quali Start: 22:00 GMT / 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific
Race Start: Immediately following 15-minute Quali Session
Lounge: GTP_3D3Racing - open up to 2 hours before the event for practice races and free run.

1. Speedy6543 | GTP_Speedy6543 | Division 2 Silver | BE GMT+1 | ~10 PM GMT
2. w-g-e | GTP_w-g-e | Division 1 Silver | NL GMT+1 | Any time between 6 PM and 2 AM GMT
3. WRP001 | GTP_WRP001 | Division 2 Bronze | US Pacific GMT-8 | 30-45 mins before it starts
4. jtv90069 | gtp_jtv90069 | Division 3 Silver | Aus CST GMT+10.5 | 1 hour before it starts
5. Gravitron | GTP_Gravitron | Division 2 Bronze | US Pacific GMT-8 | ~10 PM GMT | 50% sure
6. mohitraina91 | GTP_gooners_17 | Division 2 Bronze | CAN EST GMT-5 | All day er'ry day
7. Hydro | GTP_Hydro | Division 2 Bronze | Can EST GMT-5 | 50% at best regardless of the start time.

{not necessarily limited to 12 drivers so add additional lines as necessary.}

To sign up please quote the latest version of this message, remove the quote tags and add your name to the list.
Use this format to add your information:
GTP username | PSN ID | Division | Time Zone | ETA in lobby

Last edited by a moderator:
Lotus Elise '96 Race Modified @ Suzuka Circuit/Weather Change
Lounge: GTP_3D3Racing - open up to 2 hours before the event for practice races and free run.

2. w-g-e | GTP_w-g-e | Division 1 Silver | NL GMT+1 | Any time between 6 PM and 2 AM GMT
3. WRP001 | GTP_WRP001 | Division 2 Bronze | US Pacific GMT-8 | 30-45 mins before it starts
4. jtv90069 | gtp_jtv90069 | Division 3 Silver | Aus CST GMT+10.5 | 1 hour before it starts
5. Gravitron | GTP_Gravitron | Division 2 Bronze | US Pacific GMT-8 | ~10 PM GMT | 50% sure
6. mohitraina91 | GTP_gooners_17 | Division 2 Bronze | CAN EST GMT-5 | All day er'ry day
7. Hydro | GTP_Hydro | Division 2 Bronze | Can EST GMT-5 | 50% at best regardless of the start time.
8. ealirendur | GTP_ealirendur | Division 3 Silver | AU AEST GMT+10 | 10PM GMT, 75%

To sign up please quote the latest version of this message, remove the quote tags and add your name to the list.
GTP username | PSN ID | Division | Time Zone | ETA in lobby

Ealirendur;6656665]Lotus Elise '96 Race Modified @ Suzuka Circuit/Weather Change

8. ealirendur | GTP_ealirendur | Division 3 Silver | AU AEST GMT+10 | 10PM GMT, 75%
9.RaceRyder

GTP username | PSN ID | Division | Time Zone | ETA in lobby[/QUOTE]

Lounge is open guys.

If you happen to be in with a certain number of people.
Feel free to start a smaller race. That is if all other drivers agree of course.
Last small race to be started before 21:00 GMT
Reset the track with weather conditions at 100% weather, weatherchange at 7, surface water during start at 40%

Edit: For small races, laps are set at 8 now

9.RaceRyder

Glad you are joining us Dale 👍... It's a fun combo for a race. It can be frustrating at 100% surface water levels, but when it dries it's exhilarating watching your lap times drop every lap until you realize your going to have to pit and make a decision on tires. :sly:

Lounge is open guys.

If you happen to be in with a certain number of people.
Feel free to start a smaller race. That is if all other drivers agree of course.
Last small race to be started before 21:00 GMT
Reset the track with weather conditions at 100% weather, weatherchange at 7, surface water during start at 40%

Edit: For small races, laps are set at 8 now

I'll be on in about an hour.

@All -- remember for the full feature length race (20 laps) a pit is required between lap 5 and 15.

I would have so liked a good race as the online races I had earlier 'didn't go as planned' but it didn't happen.:(
I can say I was kind of happy maybe that I crashed as that gave me a serious challenge. Went from 38 seconds to 20 seconds on my hard tyres but then I switched to intermediates on my first pitstop.:dunce:
Ah well, it's only a Saturday race.:P

Congrats to Pekka, jtv and Lucas for the podiums.:cheers:

Last edited:
Yah, my race was terrible from start to finish. These lounge connection issues are becoming a problem... delaying and disrupting the racing.

I'm half tempted to do our pre-race practice and even quali in the private lounge and then move to a public lobby for a race (and limited to the exact number of drivers that qualify to keep out unwanteds). According to Speedy connection to a public lobby were almost instant in the GTRA test after having tons of issues with the private lounge. I don't see what difference it makes, but can't refute real evidence albeit just a couple data points.

GT5 seems to use PSN servers (service.playstation.net) to assess the connections for the mesh. So, the game's decisions there depend on the latencyNAT/bandwidth to those servers.

The ratings it/they gave our connections today:

ealirendur c2au

Hydro, Gooners a1ca

MadMax a8fi

w-g-e a4nl

RaceRyder a8us

WRP001 a5us

Gravitron a7us

Speedy6543 c7be

jtv c2au

I suspect the letter is to do with latency, and the number may be bandwidth.

Keep in mind it's to the Sony servers, so an otherwise good connection might not be well rated.

EDIT: I have seen my own connection at A2 before, but only in a public Aussie-only lobby. - so it may use more local servers for public lobbies if it can.

Last edited:
Well, I know some people had some game/network issues in the race, but everything felt "normal" to me. Except for that 360 spin I did just before Casio, in the early laps. :dunce:

I only pitted once, around lap 14, changed to racing hards. Surface water was about 19% at that point. Was a ton of fun, and I *did* save the replay! ;)

Congrats Pekka and JTV for the gold & silver, and thanks everyone for sticking with it, on the line-up.

GT5 seems to use PSN servers (service.playstation.net) to assess the connections for the mesh. So, the game's decisions there depend on the latencyNAT/bandwidth to those servers.

The ratings it/they gave our connections today:

Speedy6543 c7be

c7 being the worst of all yesterday?

Unless big numbers are better, which is quite possible. But I think the latency has more effect, anyway, if I'm right about the meaning of the letter.

I noticed when we were doing the original bug test - the network traffic between two players increases somewhat when you're in close proximity with someone. Framerate/perceived grip loss, if it is happening (not the bug, but painful anyway), seems to me to be magnified when you're close to someone you have high latency with. Could be observer bias, mind.

My own connection (and this is likely true for other Australians) has 100-150ms more latency to Europe than US and Canadia.

Remember, it's not the ISP connection itself, but the whole route to the PSN server in question, or the other player(s).

I am just guessing, based a bit on what I know about our network connections in the past to assign meaning to those codes. They're just about the only easily spotted plaintext in the traffic, and they occur at timed regular intervals, unlike the driving data.

I'd like to see us try it with various hosts In a public lobby - more data :D

EDIT: It seems to use ICMP (ping) when setting up - some of the "router incompatibility" or NAT/DMZ issues could simply be no reply to these, due to security. That will in turn probably cause the mesh to have to try to get around it...
I haven't had a chance to check the capture for today properly yet.

Argh, more wall'o'text. Must stop.

More on topic, I didn't really have any hassles network wise. No practice under real grip online with lots of surface water more of an issue, shall we say... :dunce:

Last edited:
Back