GTP WRS-Online : Event 24 : That's MonZa - Feb 22

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 118 comments
Well done Twissy 👍

Was a fun race, had a few little mini races with Chuck at the start but then he decided to go faster :sly:

The 'ring next week, should be good 👍

Sorry for leaving but when I read the OP earlier I thought this would be over by 9.

i.e. 15 minute quali and 45-50 min race.

But the race didn't start till 8:40ish and then race wouldn't have finished until 9:25-30 and I was hoping to be out by 9.

I would have said before race but it didn't dawn on me until just before I left.

And sorry to cote dazur for accidentally hitting you when I was slowing down, I assumed you would be going down the inside there but I was evidently wrong. I may try join again depending on what I'm at next week.

Congratulation Twissy.

I had a lot of fun, been pass a lot, had a better lap in the Race than in Qualifying, should haved change my tyres way earlier.
I am looking forward to next one, after Nurburgring.

Looks like I am going to be busy on WednesdayS.

Has anybody encountered such strange lags? Ever? Anywhere? Would help? Please say yes... :indiff: Racing with such a problem is no fun at all.
Once for 1-2 minutes all of the cars around start to drive straight, without any throttle or brakes applied, then 2-3 seconds later they jump back on their actual position. I had no more major issues, but that one, which ruined my race.
After spinning out on first turn (I lost concetration for literally 1 second, and it was THAT moment) and falling to last place, I still had chances to get my 7th position back. So I started to fight in the field, overtaking people who also made mistakes. On lap 3 or 4 I think I decided to perform another one at parabolica. Everything seemed perfect - one driver (don't remember nicks) left plenty of space, second one is recovering from sand trap. But in the middle of the maneouver it turned that that it was That Lag. One of the cars jumped onto its place, hitting me hard and sending to the sand. If that didn't happen, I could still chase the others. I spend the rest of the race being afraid of another cars, hardly fighting. Starting at 7th, finishing at 9th.
The only positive things I see, is that I wasn't lapped by leaders, and that I made quite good qualification lap. Well, its always something 👍

Last edited:
Has anybody encountered such strange lags? Ever? Anywhere? Would help? Please say yes... :indiff: Racing with such a problem is no fun at all.
Once for 1-2 minutes all of the cars around start to drive straight, without any throttle or brakes applied, then 2-3 seconds later they jump back on their actual position. I had no more major issues, but that one, which ruined my race.
After spinning out on first turn (I lost concetration for literally 1 second, and it was THAT moment) and falling to last place, I still had chances to get my 6th position back. So I started to fight in the field, overtaking people who also made mistakes. On lap 3 or 4 I think I decided to perform another one at parabolica. Everything seemed perfect - one driver (don't remember nicks) left plenty of space, second one is recovering from sand trap. But in the middle of the maneouver it turned that that it was That Lag. One of the cars jumped onto its place, hitting me hard and sending to the sand. If that didn't happen, I could still chase the others. I spend the rest of the race being afraid of another cars, hardly fighting. Starting at 6th, finishing at 9th.
The only positive things I see, is that I wasn't lapped by leaders, and that I made quite good qualification lap. Well, its always something 👍

I was affraid of you aswell, i noticed you were having 'lag' issues, that is why i let you pass, twice :)

Congratz to James (Twissy) on that amazing run and win without a pit stop. :crazy: Pekka (MadMax86) grabs the fastest lap. Here are the official qualifying and race results:

event24_res_eu.png

event24_quali_eu.png

@Art: We had a driver (CSL) that had serious lag issues and ended up curing it by changing his internet provider/connection and hasn't had issues since. His issues were at their worst when anyone in his household was using the net because he didn't have enough bandwidth. We had another driver (Lefty) that unfortunately gave up on GT5 Online racing because only satellite internet was available to him and the lag and invisible driver issues were too much of a problem to continue. He's happily playing iracing on the same connection without a problem. You may not notice much of an issue with smaller grids, but when the number of drivers goes up the requirements for your connection do too.

I experienced next to no lag at all. Once or twice a car would "jitter" a few feet, but that's pretty much unavoidable over the internet. When you see multiple cars doing straight lines at the same time it's basically because your connection is not getting any data and it's a straight line projection the system is doing without any data to use.

I think the lag issue was mostly for you, Art, and not too many others. Most of us commented after the race that there was less lag than we expected having so many drivers. I never did see you or Twissy on the track.

@ WRP: Awwww...
We've recently signed new deal with the current ISP, and nobody in home would think about changing it because I have issues in "those racing games you play too much" (quote from parents). Well, there's also a possibility that I will get used to them, or find a way to avoid them... At the moment I'm not giving up and hope that I would enjoy the online racing as I want to soon 👍

Pekka, it was fun battling it out with you for one lap, I don't get to do that often with one of the best racers! Looking at the replay, I made a fabulous pass on you at the entrance of Ascari... except it was all by accident! :dunce: I was following you very closely and then realized I was braking too late, so I was only trying to avoid hitting you... but that ended up placing me perfectly for that turn! I don't think I could ever have done that intentionally :dopey:

My strategy was simply 'don't beach yourself', which worked quite well for the first stint. But then, in the second stint, well there were a couple of times where I wasn't able to keep off the sand...

Well done Twissy 👍

Was a fun race, had a few little mini races with Chuck

Yup, nice racing with you! The highlight for me was the two of us doing a successful cross-over move in the chicane without touching or going off. Nice control! 👍

Great race, loads of fun....congratulations to all drivers

Sorry Twissy, did not know that was you coming....thought 'aspecbob' was tryin to catch the 10th place.

I will be enjoying more off this :)

No worries, I was wondering whether you had clocked it was me coming up behind you, hence us both being really late on the brakes into the first chicane, I had no tyres left and couldnt stop anyway

I know I'm repeating myself, but that was a really great run, James!! :cheers:

I'm really bummed out that you don't show up in my replay, because I can't watch you run. :grumpy:

I was considering not stopping at lap 13, but decided against it because I thought that if I hit ANY traffic, the results would either be Glorious or Tragic. :scared: I wasn't willing to take that chance. I wasn't fast enough.

When I did pit, I slowed too much and entered at 80 mph, but I didn't mind, really. Safe, but slow. :) It was the right call for me!

And since I'm typing and just finished watching the replay, I can tell Tim what happened on the last lap. IT WAS YOUR 🤬 NAME ABOVE YOUR CAR!!!

I was looking for my braking point, knowing I still had time for a pass after the chicane, when I realized your name was obscuring the 300 marker I use as a warning in the draft! :ill:

When I first saw a marker, it was already too late. I braked hard for just a second, realized that I was putting us both in danger, then floored it and made sure to miss you. [Which happened to be on the inside, but at least I was out of the way!]

I was lucky to be able to get back on track without interfering with another racer or losing position. :dopey:

As far as starting, I tend to think that the formation lap is the way to go. But of course I would. As you well know, I SUCK at grid starts!!! [cue the BMW] :sly:

Racing On!

I'm withdrawing from tonight's NA race guys.

Burned myself out running the "Green Hell" for hours today.:crazy:

Have fun all.👍

Sounds like another great race. Won't be able to watch the NA race this week which is a shame.

I am however working on a cunning plan that might allow me to take part on a regular basis 💡

Tonight we're doing a formation lap. No staging or grid starts. It looks like we're safe to just stay in the main lounge so no lounge switching either. 👍

If we are 10 or less we will all quali at the same time, 11 or more and we'll do two groups. Either way it's 2 hot laps only. Even with 10 people that's enough space for 10 seconds between drivers which should be enough. If you go off track it's your responsibility to make sure any return to track doesn't disrupt another driver's hot lap.

Hopefully tonight we get the show on the road and start the race promptly.

Formation lap instructions:

1. After quali all drivers will enter the pits and remain there.
  2. Race timer will be started. Repeat: Stay in pits for entire countdown.
  3. When placed on grid stay put a moment to allow pole sitter to drive off a few car lengths.
  4. Driver should then follow in order of qualification.
  5. Pole sitter should maintain a safe pace of up to 90 mph through Ascari.
  6. After Ascari pole sitter should slow and maintain a pace of 60 mph allowing grid to condense.
  7. All drivers should close to within 2-3 car lengths of the car in front. No larger gaps.
  8. Stay at 60 mph until pole sitter hits starting line and then accelerate.
  9. You cannot pass before the start/finish line.

No tire warming procedures during the formation lap this week. This car is too slippery and there were issues today. Just stay in line and keep it tight. We'll all start on the same tires so it'll be fair for everyone. No weaving and no fast/slow tricks to warm tires. Keep it safe and steady.

Tonight No tire warming procedures during the formation lap this week. This car is too slippery and there were issues today. Just stay in line and keep it tight. We'll all start on the same tires so it'll be fair for everyone. No weaving and no fast/slow tricks to warm tires. Keep it safe and steady.

Yeah, that. 👍

Here are the official qualifying and race results for NA:

event24_res_na.png

event24_quali_na.png

Great win and 2nd, Tim and Speedy, you guys worked well to get away from us. I think I'd kick myself for a long time, and hope that Marc felt dirty:sly: if he'd taken 3rd from me, I mean, I did slow down and all. :dopey: It was a valiant effort, Marc, and thanks for offering your services. :lol:

Too bad this track is just so bad for close racing, when a small mistake makes you lose the draft.

Nice to hear Daniel's voice, very melodious. :lol:

And Chuk had the quote of the night (while we're waiting for the 3min timer at the end): OK I'm ready to start the race now...:lol:

Speedy and I "practiced" for half of the EU race working together (before he got away from during the pits) and we put a slightly different strategy together for NA. Instead of bumping we were passing and pulling. I think Speedy had the raw speed to outrun me, but the draft kept me close whenever I made a small mistake. It would have been an epic strategic battle to the end had he not made his one mistake or if he could have gotten me out of his draft I think I would not have caught him.

Speedy caught some sand outside Parabolica on lap 13 and had a quick spin leaving just enough gap that I could somewhat cruise the 2nd half of the race. I went an extra lap in the first stint with that lead knowing I could push my tires in the 2nd stint that much harder and it paid off. My times fell apart near the end of the EU race, but was able to hold it together for NA -- although I backed off quite a bit the last couple laps to play it safe.

I was hoping to beat you again like I was able to in the EU Race, Tim... Unforunatly that spin made my plan impossible so my next goal was to take a quick pitstop and stay ahead of Lucas and Marc.
I never thought, after they took their pit, I would end up enough in front of them to leave them out of my draft. I really had to push 'cause everytime I made a small error, I saw them closing in. Fortunatly they too made some small errors so I could pull away again.
Lap 25, I made a bigger mistake which made them catch my draft. I really thought my race was over and that I would end up fourth.
Then the releasing mistake from Marc came in the last lap on the exit of Ascari and all I had to do was take the last turn and head to the finishline.
Great racing guys! 👍

Speedy6543
I was hoping to beat you again like I was able to in the EU Race, Tim... Unforunatly that spin made my plan impossible :

And to think I thought you spun in purpose to let me win. :lol:

I was entirely capable of spinning myself so even after your dance at parabolica I wasn't safe... I saw you pull away in the EU race. Thats why I went longer first stint so I could try and match your push late without running out of tire.

Good race... You definitely had the pace to win as shown by your quali.

Both Marc and Lucas could have won too if they had done the EU race and got the extra "practice."

^^ I don't know aboot that, Lucas perhaps....
When Lucas and I were trying to catch you two, I kept bumping him as opposed to the drafting / pulling strategy you and Speedy had going.
For the first 12 laps, I dont think I even tried to pass Lucas at all due to the fact that my sector 2 times were just awful. If I did pass him on the front straight, he would have caught up to me again by the first chicane using the draft to stay close.
My lines / gears for the chicane just sucked, and the odd time I was in front going in, Lucas caught me immediately in sector 2, and I wound up slowing both of us down, which was the exact opposite of the plan ;)
Lucas even passed me once in the exit of the first chicane :lol:

Thanks for spinning Speedy, trying to catch you gave us a goal for the second half 👍
Shame it didn't work out, as my almost complete loss of control coming out of Ascari on the final lap blew what could have been a very close 3-way drag race up the final straight :(

Nice Win Tim, never even saw you after sector 2, lap 1 👍

Mike (pre), after last night's race I had a nagging feeling about our offs at Curva Grande on lap 11. I reviewed the replay, and if you feel that your off was due to my being in your driving line while I was trying to get back on track, then I apologize.

At first, it seemed to me you were far enough so that I would have time to get back on, but it was taking me forever (as is too often the case when I have an off) to get back on track and couldn't get out of your way in time. You could ask a race steward to review the incident and I wouldn't mind taking a DQ if they think I should have waited for you.

By the way, it seems to be one of your strengths: when you have an off, you're always back on track very quickly!

Latest Posts

Back