GTP WRS-Online Event 3 : MCMLXXIII - MMII - February 12, 2014

The European races saw a lot of action. There was quite a good number of clean, high-speed passes in the North American races. It was difficult in both to avoid getting mixed up in someone's mishap...but that is city racing. :cool:

Sorry I missed the race, didn't have much time to race with others as the rooms seemed to have the top racers in them which for me isn't good for experience when you are too far back in the pack!! Maybe there can be coordinated pactice practices with others in you're skill level? Academy races would be a good thing for lower skilled WRS'ers. Also I tried to be on Friends list with a couple of similar skills who open lobbies with no acknowledgement.

Sorry I missed the race, didn't have much time to race with others as the rooms seemed to have the top racers in them which for me isn't good for experience when you are too far back in the pack!! Maybe there can be coordinated pactice practices with others in you're skill level? Academy races would be a good thing for lower skilled WRS'ers.

I think you underestimate my slowness. :dopey:

Tonight's race was really fun and the one I enjoyed best so far, especially because of my surprise podium in the 2nd race :D

Started 7th out of 9 in the first race. Ran in 6th I think and kind of kept up with the pack in front for a while, then started dropping due to sloppy driving under pressure from the car behind. He and I got in a little racing accident and dropped further from the pack. In the end of the race I was nervous under pressure from the car behind (was it couttsy, maybe?) and the chase got super close with me going wide in the last turn on last lap. He took his opportunity on the inside and it was a drag race to the line where he gained centimeter by centimeter. Had the finish line been slightly furhter ahead he would have come out on top, but I held onto 6th by 0.053s!

In the second race I lost 1 place in the beginning and dropped a bit behind the pack ahead, then on the 2nd lap I think, I got on the throttle too much out of the tight right hander after first split, spun and dropped to last. With no cars behind or close ahead I did some nice laps at a steady pace, first gaining half a second on the leader and then keeping the time difference for 6 or 7 laps. Some sloppy driving in the end dropped me down 3 seconds, but my steady driving gave me confidence. Closed in on some guys having spun out but never got close and finshed in last.

Starting last in the last race, I got up to 6th? in the early stages, with couttsy having dropped behind but gaining on me. Then there had obviously been a pileup in the last sector, with 3 or 4 cars crawling around. I slowed down to get safely past them, which allowed couttsy to shoot past us all into 2nd. Then for maybe 7 laps, it was my turn to put pressure on couttsy, using the slipstream to get right up to him on every straight. Even had to lift a bit sometimes to avoid pushing him, hoping to make up for it with a good exit, or a mistake from his side. If he looked back I'm sure he must have seen the big evil smile I had on my face, I enjoyed every second of it so much I almost didn't want to pass him! :sly:

Apart from me going wide into the wall in 2nd corner, and a slight tap on his rear when braking for turn 5, it was only clean nice driving. At last I got a good slipstream on the main straight, got past him around the outside into 2nd. He seemed to go a little wide and there was contact but nothing major. I got ahead in 2nd position, but LittlePaul in 4th was approaching fast and managed to to take 3rd from couttsy, then closed the distance to me and got up right behind me on the last lap. I was nervous and tired in my wrists at this point, and again drove a somewhat sloppy drive, but Paul didn't get an opportunity to get ahead. One lap longer and he probably would have. Crossed the line to take 2nd place, much thanks to the pileup that affected the rest of the field but a solid drive from me allowed me to capitalize as much as possible on it.

It was tons of fun and there was good tight racing, with the occasional contact which is understandable on a course like this. Looking forward to more of this quality racing! 👍

Edit: couttsy D/C:ed right in the end of the last race, which was a shame since had done a good drive and kept cool under pressure.

Yeah we had a good little battle for 2nd in that last race, although only because the almost the entire field got caught up in an accident on the 3rd lap, (we did well to avoid that) managed to keep ahead for 6 or 7 laps maybe but couldnt keep up a consistently high enough pace under pressure and was eventually caught up and slipped into 5th and then got DC'd just before the kink on the last lap which was quite annoying. :banghead:

Qualy and first race didnt go well started last and finished last. Made too many mistakes and spun out a couple times. 2nd race was better managed to get myself into a good position 3rd or 4th maybe but again couldnt keep up a high enough pace and was caught up. Ended up spinning out when I had to alter my line coming into the last corner due to being side by side with Speedy. Ended up 2nd last. All in all though really enjoyed the racing! :D

Morning Guys,

Sorry I didn't make it last night I've had no electricity now for 15 hours and counting :(! Hope it was fun though, wish I'd raced this one as I love Rome!

Reactions: EDK
I had three awesome races, first race i started 4th and immediately got matthew on my tail, he passed me but i could hang on, we had a battle right to the end.
In the 2nd race max and me were in a battle and when i passed him i made a mistake and slammed into the wall, max thought it was his fault and waited for me (very noble of you max). I never had so much fun to become last.

Race 3 was indeed epic Skyline, i had to start last and managed to overtake a lot of guys in the first lap, in the first right hander max went a little to far to the left and turok and me could pass. The level off skill was shown there as we went 3 cars side by side and managed to stay on track.
Then for 10 laps side by side with Skyline, we gave eachother just enough space for a car + an half inch !
Unfortunattely matthew got dc'd for the 2nd time, he was just in front of us and i hoped we could have a three way battle for 3rd.

All you guys where excellent in both speed and handling only 2 guys where standing out from the crowd, PASM and doodle, you guys are insane ;)

Thank you guys for great races and see you next week !

My races yesterday were "an adventure". Had two pretty good qualifying efforts 1'26.2 (EU) and 1'26.1 (NA), but pretty much downhill after those.

I started EU in 5th and got freight trained to at least 9th before the end of the first lap... no mistakes actually on my part that lap except braking not to hit the guy in front of me and having a flood of guys go by on both sides. Started the other two EU sprints from the back and spun in both... ended the 3rd race with a next battle with Pekka.

In NA qualified 2nd, but drag racing MadMax took off from the line like I was standing still and was 3rd about 9 feet from the start. Stuck with Pekka and doodle while they went two wide in most spots (including the kink) which allowed Vipond to get back to my bumper. After that Vipond and I started locking horns so the front two got away. We exchanged 3rd a few times, but I tapped the wall out of the kink one too many times and gave up the position finishing 4th. The next race I got punted on lap 1 from 4th to 11th (racing incident with contact concession made so no foul)... then made a come back all the way to 3rd which was pretty fun... I did get lucky with a few large incidents and squeezing through some tight spots. Final NA race was a bit of a cluster... some guys started in reverse, doodle paused after a jump so I slowed and gooners took advantage for the lead... doodle ran away (as he did every NA race except the first) and after a mistake by gooners I was by myself in 2nd without a car in either direction within 4 seconds basically locked into an overall podium points position. Then for no good reason, I spun in the final section, got sideways at the apex of the final corner with my nose on the apex wall and no chance to get out of the way -- even in 4 seconds -- so I had to ghost and wait about 20 seconds for the entire field to pass save Crozzlow who was further back. 2nd to 2nd to last. :dunce: Finished with a nice battle with MadMax who had earlier dropped back from 3rd to the back for no apparent reason (turns out he was slowing in case he was involved in an incident, which he wasn't, but shows good sportsmanship to slow if you are in doubt :doubt:).

Glad we're moving on to a regular event: not a fan of grid starts, not a fan of sprints.

Glad we're moving on to a regular event: not a fan of grid starts, not a fan of sprints.

In this aspect, we are polar opposites. :boggled: I prefer a series of races rather than one long one. I would even go for two 15-20 lap races (depending on track).

With regards to the start, the only thing about formation starts I don't like is that we need to rely on the people directly in front of us to be smooth and predictable. With someone floating from side to side, stopping and going, with not a care in the world, it gets frustrating and you just want to push them out of the way. :D

Yeah we had a good little battle for 2nd in that last race, although only because the almost the entire field got caught up in an accident on the 3rd lap, (we did well to avoid that) managed to keep ahead for 6 or 7 laps maybe but couldnt keep up a consistently high enough pace under pressure and was eventually caught up and slipped into 5th and then got DC'd just before the kink on the last lap which was quite annoying. :banghead:

Qualy and first race didnt go well started last and finished last. Made too many mistakes and spun out a couple times. 2nd race was better managed to get myself into a good position 3rd or 4th maybe but again couldnt keep up a high enough pace and was caught up. Ended up spinning out when I had to alter my line coming into the last corner due to being side by side with Speedy. Ended up 2nd last. All in all though really enjoyed the racing! :D

Yeah we got lucky there. I also slid wide and hit the wall at the kink right before the pileup which allowed you to breeze past. If you hadn't dropped back right after I passed you, you would have probably been able to get in my slipstream and catch me easily and possibly take the position back. It felt like with these cars the effect of the slipstream was really significant, which helped me keep up with you.

I think you underestimate my slowness. :dopey:
You misunderstood. I was referring to Div1/Div2 racers in certain rooms they were practicing in that I happened into. I'm sure you will progress in skills like other's have with time.

In this aspect, we are polar opposites. :boggled: I prefer a series of races rather than one long one. I would even go for two 15-20 lap races (depending on track).

I'm on the same boat as you. I also prefer the sprint races. :D

Sorry I missed the race, didn't have much time to race with others as the rooms seemed to have the top racers in them which for me isn't good for experience when you are too far back in the pack!! Maybe there can be coordinated pactice practices with others in you're skill level? Academy races would be a good thing for lower skilled WRS'ers. Also I tried to be on Friends list with a couple of similar skills who open lobbies with no acknowledgement.

Gayle, you hopped into the EU-A lounge on Wednesday. Yes, it was crazy fast. I was trying to suggest you look at the B or C lounge when you were leaving, but I guess you didn't hear me.

At the moment, not sure how long it will last, we have enough drivers to splits into 2-3 lounges for EU so there are races for all levels of drivers already. If you look at how we split those lounges it worked out to A=D1-D2 Gold, B=D2-Silver-D2-Bronze, C=D3-D4, although that varies every week depending on who signs up.

We published a link which showed the lobby #'s and the splits like this (this is an old snapshot and obviously no longer valid):

roomsplits.png

Basically, you just joined the wrong lobby. If you had been registered for the race we would have assigned you to one based on your division. It's fine to join pre-race practice if you are not registered or not planning to race as long as there is room (and there was extra spots this week). But be sure to reference our lounge split page first and join the lobby that you think fits your pace best. Or just post on the event thread saying you'd like to join for pre-race and one of us will refer you to a lobby.

PS> Based on your event handicap for week 3 (3.423) you would have been assigned to room C had you registered or asked in the thread.

As Gravitron said, there are incidents being reviewed and penalties incoming. There was some driving that wasn't even close to par for our series.

It's a lot of work running these races and the last couple weeks we've been spending a lot of time reviewing incidents. That effectively means we have less resources to plan future events or drive ourselves. Expect us to come down hard, we need clean racers here and the stewards haven't sign up for 10 hours a week of incident review. The message needs to be clear. Drive clean, follow the OLR or a driver's eligibility for these events will be removed until they prove to us they can comply by our rules and they can respect the other drivers on the track.

Gayle, you hopped into the EU-A lounge on Wednesday. Yes, it was crazy fast. I was trying to suggest you look at the B or C lounge when you were leaving, but I guess you didn't hear me.

At the moment, not sure how long it will last, we have enough drivers to splits into 2-3 lounges for EU so there are races for all levels of drivers already. If you look at how we split those lounges it worked out to A=D1-D2 Gold, B=D2-Silver-D2-Bronze, C=D3-D4, although that varies every week depending on who signs up.

We published a link which showed the lobby #'s and the splits like this (this is an old snapshot and obviously no longer valid):

View attachment 115171

Basically, you just joined the wrong lobby. If you had been registered for the race we would have assigned you to one based on your division. It's fine to join pre-race practice if you are not registered or not planning to race as long as there is room (and there was extra spots this week). But be sure to reference our lounge split page first and join the lobby that you think fits your pace best. Or just post on the event thread saying you'd like to join for pre-race and one of us will refer you to a lobby.

PS> Based on your event handicap for week 3 (3.423) you would have been assigned to room C had you registered or asked in the thread.
I think I was registered as a alternate. I was looking for a practice lobby when I came across you fast guy's. I understand now more of how it will works, nice to see the Lobby #'s posted in the header! Don't think I will signup for this week's race as I end up with sand in the carb mot of the time! :)

I think I was registered as a alternate. I was looking for a practice lobby when I came across you fast guy's. I understand now more of how it will works, nice to see the Lobby #'s posted in the header! Don't think I will signup for this week's race as I end up with sand in the carb mot of the time! :)

I am in the sand quite often also... removing the supercharger helps a lot, but it's still tough. I would imagine a few of us are going to have beach adventures this week. I will have to post in the event thread about safely returning to track because i have a feeling that's going to be the issue.

Gayle, you did sign up as reserve for NA, just not for EU. For NA we did assign you to the B lounge as a reserve. Anwho, no matter now... if you want to join for pre-race just check those assignments and have at it. 👍

EU Race Penalties

First off, let's review:

Click the bottom of these quote boxes to see all of the text within. Or see the full GTP OLR Rules & Guidelines here.

:: GTP OLR Rules & Guidelines ::
01: OLR General Rules:

C:
You are expected to compete in a fair and honest manner. With fair and honest is meant according to the GTP online racing rules, not according to your own interpretation of fair and honest.

D:
You are expected to drive responsibly in a way that is not likely to ruin the racing enjoyment of your fellow drivers.

G:
You are expected to behave like sporting gentlemen at all times.

H:
The position of other drivers must always be respected.

I:
Aggressive driving is strictly prohibited.

L:
No careless driving. Always show respect for your fellow racers. Be careful. Show some patience. Understand the limitations of your car and yourself and drive accordingly. Driving online in a racing sim is NOT exactly the same as real life racing in every respect.

M:
If you are found guilty of any of these rules, the behaviour will be evaluated and penalty assessed by the Race Steward.
----------
05: Rules Governing Car Contact:

A:
Contacts and collisions must be avoided at all costs.

B:
Pushing other cars in turns or pushing them off the track is strictly prohibited.

C:
Leaning on other cars is strictly prohibited in any situation.
----------
06: Running into the car ahead of you:

A:
The behind driver must take all necessary care and responsibility not to run into an ahead driver.

B:
In case you brake too late for a corner or partially lose control of your car, but can prevent an accident by steering into the dirt, grass or a wall, you are expected to do so.
----------
07: Contact Concessions:

A:
If there's contact between drivers that results in the guilty driver making up places on the innocent driver, the guilty driver should immediately allow the innocent driver to pass freely to re-establish their position. This rule should be observed, even if it means the guilty driver has to allow drivers not involved in the incident to pass while waiting for the driver they contacted.

B:
If the appropriate contact concession is carried out by the guilty driver then they may avoid or reduce the severity of any penalties that might otherwise apply.

C:
If the appropriate contact concession is not carried out by the guilty party then the usual penalties would apply.

D:
If you have to slow down to let the other player through, move out of the racing line first before you slow down. Coming to a full stop is not allowed, just continue at a lower pace until the other driver passes you again.
----------

hladas (aka @Tomas Hladik on GTP) has been DQ'd from this event and is banned from future events until he can prove that he understands and will abide by the OLR.

Completely unacceptable. 👎 You will be receiving a Private Message from us.

Here are 4 examples of him causing contact and taking advantage. The majority don't even appear to be mistakes, they appear to be intentional. There's a 5th example that I won't even include because it looks exactly like #2 below, but on a different lap.

hladas' actions led to some drivers becoming frustrated, and causing issues of their own.

pitskater (aka @serfon on GTP) is DQ'd from EU race 3 for this contact with no concession:

In this case, serfon contacted Deathstar and apologized and also apologized to us, which we appreciate and would like to acknowledge. 👍

---

EU Results
View attachment 115213

NA Results
View attachment 115212

AU/NZ Results
View attachment 115211

I knew my car got a little squirrelly going through the kink, but dang. :nervous: It was fishtailing all over the place.

Kevin @EDK and I were tied for points going into the last NA race, I have my best race of the night (5th), and Kevin comes through with a podium. :cheers:

Reactions: EDK

Gayle, I have found the best way to get some racing partners, is to open a lobby, and post the lobby ID in the thread. I almost always have a few join me in a short time. The other way is to scan the thread for open lobbies. I used to wait for others, but found it better to be proactive and open your own. If noone shows, well at least you got some practice.

Back