GTP WRS-Online : Event 54 : Getting a Grip in Tokyo - September 19

• Thread starter Speedy6543
  • 101 comments
3D3 main lounge is open for practice. I will be away from my PS3 for about 10 to 20 minutes.

Al

Oh my. From Tuesday practice I learned 2 things. The one thing is, that I'm about 2 seconds too slow on this one, and pretty inconsistent at that. I'm bouncing off walls every other lap and just can't seem to find a rhythm. This might have something to do with rapid tire wear as braking points change all the time. And even when I drive a clean line, I'm so far off the pace, it's ridiculous. (and I don't even have a clue WHERE I'm losing it - seems to be all over the track) And the other thing is, that while I'm slower, I still wearing my tires more than everyone else. I know, the two are probably connected, but I wouldn't know how to be faster AND save tires.

A conservative estimate says that even though the difference per lap in the race might go down slightly, I'll still be losing at least 1 second per lap, while pitting one more time than most others. That means I should be happy, if I don't lose more than a minute, although most likely it will be more.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to get myself together and drive cleanly and see where I end up.

PS: Just for clarification: Can we use Racing Mediums as well...? (no idea, if that makes sense timewise though and I will have very little time to test it)

snowgt
Oh my. From Tuesday practice I learned 2 things. The one thing is, that I'm about 2 seconds too slow on this one, and pretty inconsistent at that. I'm bouncing off walls every other lap and just can't seem to find a rhythm. This might have something to do with rapid tire wear as braking points change all the time. And even when I drive a clean line, I'm so far off the pace, it's ridiculous. (and I don't even have a clue WHERE I'm losing it - seems to be all over the track) And the other thing is, that while I'm slower, I still wearing my tires more than everyone else. I know, the two are probably connected, but I wouldn't know how to be faster AND save tires.

A conservative estimate says that even though the difference per lap in the race might go down slightly, I'll still be losing at least 1 second per lap, while pitting one more time than most others. That means I should be happy, if I don't lose more than a minute, although most likely it will be more.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to get myself together and drive cleanly and see where I end up.

PS: Just for clarification: Can we use Racing Mediums as well...? (no idea, if that makes sense timewise though and I will have very little time to test it)

Did you try using low BB that might help with tire ware

Did you try using low BB that might help with tire ware

Heh, yes, I did. That helped me squeeze out lap 6. With default I was practically done by lap 5.

Guess I have to find a smoother line...

Heh, yes, I did. That helped me squeeze out lap 6. With default I was practically done by lap 5.

Guess I have to find a smoother line...

The only thing you can do, if it's possible without losing pace, is to keep the front tires from heating up much.

I suspect most of us will be taking 4 stops, and I'm not sure if anyone did any tire testing on lower fuel so I'm not sure if less fuel will help with tire durability or not.

What Porsche has mentioned is key. Slow into the corner, mash throttle on exit.

On the high speed corners, partially lifting when turning the wheel can make a huge difference too. Also instead of taking the big U as a constant radius turn, go out and then come back in.

I know signup is already light for NA tonight, but I have not had any time to practice this event, AND I have a lot going on. If it was only one or the other, I would still run. But I'll have to give this one a miss.

May see you next week at Monza, we'll see how time works out for me.

Ok Kevin, no sweat.

I'll try to get up to race anyway, sure hope Marc and/or Baron can make it.

Also, I know I will be on 4-5 stops. I can make 7 laps but really need to be gentle for laps 5, 6 and 7 then. :scared:

So, what happens if we don't have enough drivers?

The race happens no matter what.

But if there are not at least 7 drivers, podiums and wins do not count as official.

It seems like we have more issues with late signup and confirmation than we do with actual turnout lately.

EDK
The race happens no matter what.

But if there are not at least 7 drivers, podiums and wins do not count as official.

It seems like we have more issues with late signup and confirmation than we do with actual turnout lately.

I thought it was 6, not 7.

I thought it was 6, not 7.

Hmm, might be. I thought is was 7, not 6. :dopey:

I'll let the guys who put up the results worry about that, but you guys get the point. If we don't have enough participants, it becomes a race for fun. And hopefully that's the case most weeks anyhow. ;)

All the races I've been part of have been fun.

Even the races where I've ended up a few laps down due to certain circumstances.

I am not feeling well, I am not going to race in the E/U.

Off to bed for me sorry.

Al

Hope you feel better soon Al.

For the results to count for podiums and wins stats, there's a minimum of 6 drivers required. Hope we still get there somehow. If not than so be it.

Don't forget to change your tyres to the soft compound *before* entering the track!

I'm out for tonight, too tired from work, have fun guys, speedy r u streaming the race?

Well done Wes, Shawn and Jon 👍

First half of the race was really good for me. Started 8th (I think), then pretty much battled it out between SnowCrash/Speedy/Jon for the next 20 laps, swapping positions every so often.

Then on lap 24, I was coming out of the pits and SnowCrash was closing down the straight, we ended up side by side going down the hill. The two lane road then turned into one and we hit. Sorry again, Snow.

In terms of actual racing, I think this was one of the best races I've been in, for the whole hour I had somebody to battle with, it was intense trying not to make mistakes and hit the walls.

Last edited:
I'm seconding Mike on his post, it was indeed a race with many battles. Not necessairily side by side but also with the different pitstrategies. 👍

Congrats Wes, Shawn (:sly:) and Jon.

19_09_12_zps91f7b4b6.png

NOTE: for the NA race set laps on 35, I made a mistake not adding the formation lap so the race was 34 laps +1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Shawn and Jon on the other podiums.:cheers:

Have a good NA race, see you next week.

Those last ten laps, I kept expecting Jon to catch me because I was babying the tires so I wouldn't have to pit again. It was only after the race that I realized how large of a gap to Jon I had.

My original plan was to pit every 8 laps, but I realized if I could manage my tires better I could finish in a better overall position, even if the gap to Wes grew.

Back