GTP WTAC Week 55 : Passing The Torch

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 79 comments
GTP WTAC Week 55 : Passing The Torch

*** In this challenge, we are going to use two Mazdas: the famed RX-7 and it's 4-door replacement, the RX-8. The particular RX-7 is the Efini badged model Type RZ from 1993. Efini was a sort of off-shoot of the main Mazda brand (sort of like how Lexus is an off-shoot of Toyota or how Acura is to Honda) and people in Japan went to an Efini dealer to buy an Efini car. There is nothing more I can say about the RX-7 (that hasn't already been said by automobile enthusiasts for years) other than the obvious: that it is one of, if not THE greatest Japanese sports car ever. The RX-8 was meant to be a successor to the RX-7, but with in a 4-door configuration. While the addition of a back seat, and two additional suicide-doors to gain entry, did broaden the appeal to more people... the car fell a bit more out of favor with the most enthusiastic performance car lovers. It's still a very competent car on the road or track, but just a bit more family friendly. This car combo and track were selected by someone here (not me, by the way), but I won't reveal who as they didn't give me permission to do so. Either way, we'll enjoy these two fine ladies on a celebrated course that lets us experience the full potential of these finely crafted vehicles. We hope you enjoy it too! ***

1. Track : Grand Valley East (forward)

picture.php

2. Cars : Mazda efini RX-7 Type RZ '93 & Mazda RX-8 Type S '03

efini.jpg
l
rx8i.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S2 / S2
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday June 6th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday June 13th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday June 13th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

----------------------

Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l pvr77########42
2nd #-l MVR08#######l39#
small_up_arrow.gif

3rd #l-l Dan360######.l38#
small_down_arrow.gif

4th #l-l Detroitbb#####ll29
5th #l-l easyasashii###&l25
6th #l-l vaughan#####$l16
7th #l-l red ice#######l12

----------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Seems like I'll finally get to participate again, thanks to it goes to my neat brother! Pretty much had to join since Wankel engines are the BEST, end of story. Haha!

Haha! Thank you guys, this place really feels like another home.
Only drawback in getting back to gtpsp was that I couldn't use the old save data in the new psp, so gotta grind a bit at the test course for money, heh.. shouldn't be hard to find the cars though!

Other than that, I'm not sure if I can play more than this one challenge so I feel like adding me to the regulars isn't necessary :P .

Edit: Just noticed that theres a whopping 100,000 credits right at the beginning so I suppose there's no need to get any money just yet!

Last edited:
Other than that, I'm not sure if I can play more than this one challenge so I feel like adding me to the regulars isn't necessary :P .

Too late, already changed it now you'll have to join us for a few weeks at least! :lol:

Haha! Thank you guys, this place really feels like another home.
Only drawback in getting back to gtpsp was that I couldn't use the old save data in the new psp, so gotta grind a bit at the test course for money, heh.. shouldn't be hard to find the cars though!

Edit: Just noticed that theres a whopping 100,000 credits right at the beginning so I suppose there's no need to get any money just yet!

I think there might be a way for you to use the '1,000,000 credit' cheat - maybe someone else here (red ice? pvr? someone else?) can share their knowledge about this possibility.

I think there might be a way for you to use the '1,000,000 credit' cheat - maybe someone else here (red ice? pvr? someone else?) can share their knowledge about this possibility.

@ Spiral: PM me and I'll walk you through it!

That's what I said one year and half ago ;) !

:cheers:

EDIT :

First times :

Mazda efini RX-7 Type RZ '93 : 1'17.620
Mazda RX-8 Type S '03 : 1'16.677

These cars engine sound like vacuum cleaner :lol:

This was what I did almost 2 years ago to gain more cash. My friend here before had a PSP so we were able to freely trade, share, and most importantly race adhoc.After we got tired of racing competitively, we just found out that we can gain fast cash even while we sleep!

Adhoc Multiplayer
1) master Test Course Track to class S
2) Fire Up Adhoc/Professional Race to 99 Laps/Test Course
3) Choose any fast Racing Car
4) Set your opponent to a slightly less powerful car
5) Set AI for both cars in The Grid
6) RACE...(sleep)
7) Wakeup! You got yourself 1 Million plus Jackpot(if Lucky)
8) Trade/Share cars
9) Profit!

On another gaming Forum, I met SinisterX while we were Pursuing MetalGear Peacewalker Completion. It turned out that he was a TACer before and suggested I join here. Gave me tips for a Million Credit but I forgot how to make it work.

XLINK KAI
Got races before in KAI and also did some Car sharing. I must admit, the lag was there but was really fun. Win or Lose! I got lucky with Jackpots especially in Rallies where everybody hated it online.
I had an opponent there named "Speedmachine" and suggested I join GTplanet.
After 2 days I signed up here.
After 1 day I joined WTAC.

First times :

Mazda efini RX-7 Type RZ '93 : 1'17.620
Mazda RX-8 Type S '03 : 1'16.677

These cars engine sound like vacuum cleaner :lol:

I am about a second faster with the RX-8 too. That surprised me - I thought for sure the RX-7 would be notably faster (it's lighter, has more HP, and more torque!).

Haha, thanks for the help guys, great that you care! Anyways, the method I use to get credits is already very fast and doesn't strain me at all so I think I'll manage on my own.

Be that as it may, 1'14.956 on the RX-7 so far. Very interested to try the RX-8 out thanks to your discoveries! That shall be tomorrow though.

Edit: While waiting for Sonys briefing on E3, I got some interesting results on the RX-8 as well, I won't reveal more for now.

Last edited:
I got both the RX-7 and RX-8 on 1'15.xxx. but the RX-7 was tuned and the RX-8 not. Strange that the RX-8 is so much faster than the RX-7, must have something to do with the more modern drive-train and materials. Ten years makes a big difference.

I got both the RX-7 and RX-8 on 1'15.xxx. but the RX-7 was tuned and the RX-8 not. Strange that the RX-8 is so much faster than the RX-7, must have something to do with the more modern drive-train and materials. Ten years makes a big difference.

I've got a 1'15.3xx with the RX-8 and a 1'16.5xx with the RX-7 (but both are untuned - except for zeroing out the rear toe).

I'm at a loss to explain the RX-8's advantage on the track. I could only guess that the RX-7 is way too easy for me to lose the rear tire's grip (resulting in sliding and loss of time) and the RX-8 is more 'mountain goat'-like in that it is stable and allows me to drive it much more aggressively.

Starting times from me, with default settings with the exception of a neutral toe on rear tires:

RX-8 - 1'14.3xx
RX-7 - 1'14.9xx

I don't use cheats on my PSP myself, so I know nothing about CWcheats or anything similar. Homever there is a way to make good money offline, please refer to this post:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4075740#post4075740

Pretty much the best way to make money in offline mode.

yes. cant explain the feeling so far. Though I'm running the 2 mazdas in grand valley east in GTPSP (while GT5 is installing). This track is very nostalgic for me. T'was last year I joined WTAC week12 on grand valley east reverse. Time flies so fast.
I will still be here competing with you guys. OF course GTPSP will always be my portable game while on the road, breaktimes, even while at work.

Last edited:
^ lucky you !!! Have fun with GT5 and please give us your feedback on the game ;) ! Glad to know you'll still be here competing with us !

:cheers:

You can count on it. :) I will also be searching for previous TACers online. I made a promise to rpr101 that we'd be racing. LOL!!!
current times:
1'19.340 with the Rx-7
I think I'm gonna focus on it more this week as the RX-8 handles better. From my point of view at least.

I'm glad for you red ice! I know how your feeling, I have some curious things I noticed in gt5 that want share with you guys so maybe later I got to go!

Back