gtpdk9.jpg

PRESENTS:

GTP Porsche Carrera Wheel Giveaway

:: Only Open to Qualified GTP_Registered Members ::

:: Members are not obligated to take part ::

Contest Details:

• Register to Participate in the Contest by Posting in This Thread
  • You MUST Register by No Later than 11:59 pm GMT, Friday, October 1st
  • A List of Registered Participants Will Be Maintained at the Bottom of this Post
  • Questions About the Contest and Rules Should be Posted in this Thread
  • Contest Will Follow the Same Rules and Format as GTP_WRS Week 100
  • Contest Participants Should Post Split Times in the GTP_WRS Week 100 Thread
  • Run Your Lap As Detailed in the first post of the GTP_WRS Week 100 Race Thread, and Submit Your Contest Entry, as Detailed Below
  • We Request That Members Who Already Own a High End Racing Wheel (i.e. Fanatec Wheel, Logitech G25, G27, or DFGT) DO NOT Participate in the Contest
  • Participants Must Follow All Rules Detailed in the GTP_WRS Week 100 Race Thread. Any Participant Who Does Not Follow the Rules Will be Disqualified from the Contest.
  • All Submissions Will be Subject to Replay Verification, as Detailed Below

Prize Details:

• Prizes Will be Awarded to the 3 Fastest Submitted Laptimes

[*]Third Place Prize - 1 Month GTPlanet Premium Membership
    [*]Second Place Prize - 1 Year GTPlanet Premium Membership
    [*]Grand Prize - Fanatec Porsche Carrera Wheel and Renn Sport Wheel Stand
    [*]See Details on these Items at Fanatec's Website http://www.fanatec.de/ and In Delphic Reason's Review Below

Fanatec Porsche 911 Carrera
w/ Rennsport Wheel Stand

pwc_main_01.jpg

Welcome to my review of the Fanatec Porsche 911 Carrera Wheel, and the Rennsport Wheelstand. To start off let me explain why I am choosing to review these two items together. In the coming weeks there will be a contest. The winner of which will receive the Fanatec Porsche 911 Carrera Wheel and the Rennsport Wheelstand. Therefore, I thought it fitting to review them together. Furthermore, many people who purchase the PWC will probably opt for the Wheelstand. I don’t imagine most who are in the market for such a wheel will have a home built (or an expensive pre-made) cockpit to attach it to. That being said, I have owned a Fanatec wheel for some time now (Porsche 911 Turbo S model, also known as the PWTS), and have found no flaws with it (other than a momentary driver issue, that was quickly solved). My PWTS has always been connected to a home built cockpit:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116737

So, as you might imagine I was dubious. I wasn't sure what to expect out of the PWC (Carrera Wheel), or the Rennsport Wheel Stand. Having used a cockpit for so long, I wasn't expecting the wheelstand to be something that could be comparable. Similarly, Having used a PWTS for so long, I wasn't expecting the PWC to be comparable. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised with both.

First off, lets talk about the features of the wheel...

Aesthetics

The wheel is a dark blue with black accents. It looks very similar to the GT3RS wheel, although without the Alcantera rim, and sporting different colors. That being said, the GT3RS wheel I have always found to be the most comfortable (wheel grip), so having the PWC with the same layout/wheel grip is certainly a positive design choice. All in all, it's a great looking wheel. Some may even prefer the look to the Turbo S.

As for the "feel", the wheel is rubber, and initially I didn't think I would like it (even though most all other budget wheels are rubber gripped as well), but after a short time, I realised the rubber makes for a very secure/sticky grip on the wheel. Honestly, I would say it provides a bit more grip, than the Turbo S. Also, the PWC is gear driven, as opposed to the GT3RS/PWTS which use belt drives. This changes how the FFB feels through the wheel to some degree. The overall engagement of the FFB/Rumble Effects is not quite as smooth as the PWTS/GT3RS, but what it loses in smoothness/fluidity it makes up for in responsiveness. I was amazed at how "twitchy" the wheel could be (similar to a G25/G27), which is fantastic for fast open wheel racing (Indy, F1, F3000, LM, etc...). Very fast response to inputs. As compared to the Logitech DFGT (closest competitor) the feel/aesthetics are in a league of their own. I loved my DFGT, but the PWC looks better (in my opinion), feels better, and has a level of adjustablity no other budget wheel can touch. Speaking of adjustablity...

Features

The PWC comes with an H-Gate shifter and Standard Pedals (with clutch/brake/throttle). This is the only budget wheel on the market that offers a 6-speed shifter and clutch. The closest competitor that does is the Logitech G25/G27, but at or near $300 it's nowhere near as affordable.

I won't go into too much detail on every feature t his wheel has to offer. Posted above is a detailed list of features for both the PWC and the Wheel Stand. However, one important feature that needs to be mentioned is the upgradeable firmware. Just like the Turbo S (PWTS), the Carrera Wheel can be upgraded with any new firmware updates, keeping the PWC up to date with any new features. No other wheel, budget or otherwise, offers this kind of support. That being said, I will give a brief overview focusing on features I found to be the most applicable to myself, and other users of this forum.

The following is adjustable on the wheel:

o Save up to 5 wheel set-ups (setup for different games)
o Adjust ForceFeedback (0 - 100)
o Adjust steering angle independent from the game (from 90 - 900 in increments of 10)
o Adjust damper strength (Driftmode) (5 settings)
o Adjust deadzone (0 - 10, Perfect for GT5:P and/or any game with an inherant deadzone)
o Adjust linearity (0 - 100, precision around center point)

Out of all of these features (none of which can be adjusted on the DFGT/G25/G27), the most notable are the "Deadzone" and "Linearity" (in respect to Gran Turismo fans especially, but not limited to). For those who do not own a Fanatec wheel, let me explain why this is such a needed feature. Games like Enthusia, GT4, and GT5:P all have a built in deadzone, as all wheels of the time (Logitech) had mechanical deadzones. Therefore, the games needed to be tailored for these wheels. The Fanatec range of wheels are very precise and thus do not have any deadzone inherently. Due to this, the Fanatec range noticed oscillation problems when the wheel was at or around the center point. The added deadzone adjustment allows the wheel user to get around this problem. Adjusting the deazone along side the linearity seems to effectively smooth out the noticeability of the "dead zone" area. Of course these are only 2 of the features available to adjust. The adjustable steering ratio (90 - 900!) is one of if not my favorite features. You can effectively set the ratio to match the vehicle you are driving in the game. This is especially exciting for open wheel fans (F1 anyone?) where 900 degrees is not an accurate simulation. However, it goes beyond that. You can set it up to various degrees depending on the person in question. You can set it up for simulation or arcade games. You can do a bit of research and effectively match any vehicles ratio. All of the features are useful, and would be quite missed if I was to go back to a wheel that didn't have such functionality.

Compatibility

Like most wheels currently on the market, the PWC is compatible with the PS3 and PC. However, most PS2 games can be played with a backwards compatible PS3 system. Also, as said before with the added adjustability the deadzone/linearity allows, more PS2/PS3 games are supported than ever before. With previous Fanatec wheels (Turbo, Turbo S, GT3RS) if one wanted to play GT5:P you had to set the system date back (some technical bug). However, this is no longer the case. All newer Fanatec wheels (PWTSUE, GT3RSV2, and the PWC) are plug and play. No tinkering needs to be done in order to play games like Prologue.

In conclusion, I can't think of any reason someone would be in the market for a budget wheel and not end up with a PWCPorsche Carrera Wheel. A ton of features, a ton of adjustments, and precise force feedback. If you want a wheel, but don't want to shell out the $300 for a G25/G27 (with less features to boot), this needs to be at the top of your list. After trying the PWC, all my friends are bugging me for a release date. Logitech has something to be worried about, after a long time of being the industry leader for simulation wheels. Competition breeds innovation, so we'll see how both Fanatec and Logitech evolve due to this. Right now, my money is on Fanatec.

Below we turn our focus to the Rennsport Wheelstand

Fanatec Rennsport Wheel Stand:

rsws_intro_mitte.jpg

Welcome to part 2 of the review. This time we're focusing on the Rennsport Wheelstand. Although, in this review we will be focusing on the Wheel Stand as it pertains to the PWC.

When I received it, it was nicely packaged and well protected. The instructions were hardly needed, as everything seemed pretty self explanatory. So, everything went together in a manner of minutes (about 10 minutes to be exact). As before, let’s start with aesthetics...

Aesthetics

The unit is all a matte black with silver painted base (pedal base). It is much more substantial than I was expecting. Thick metal tubing provides for a beefy solid feel (a bit more solid than the Wheel Stand Pro, in my opinion). There are rubber stoppers on the end of the pedal base, to stop the runners from slipping/scuffing. Also, there is a mount on the front of the stand that holds the allen key (for adjusting stand height/swivel). A small touch, but very useful, and looks good with the rest of the design. In my opinion the RSWS is the most aesthetically pleasing "wheel stand" currently on the market. Yet, it's not the looks that impress the most...

Features

Above you can see that the RSWS has quite a bit of adjustments for a wheel stand. There are a few of these features I think are particularly useful. The adjustable wheel tray angle allows you to set the wheel exactly where you need it. Whether you like the wheel straight up and down, or in bus driver position, you have the choice. Once the tray is tightened down it's rock solid as well, so no worries about the angle slipping. The one difference between this and the Wheelstand Pro is the angle of the upright support. With the Rennsport Stand the upright is straight up and down (i.e vertical) and this cannot be adjusted. Whereas the Wheelstand Pro has a quick release to adjust this angle. This would seem like a disadvantage, but there is a good reason the RSWS does not allow this adjustment Due to the quick release design of the Wheelstand Pro, the upright can shake and move with vigorous use. The RSWS upright support is rock solid, and does not move at all. Fortunately, one can just move the pedals, instead of moving the upright. I found this method to be easier and more user friendly. Your mileage may vary. The wheel can be folded and stored away in about 10 seconds. I found this to be more like 15 seconds, but either way it's incredibly useful for people who need to save space/time. It's easy to take it out (wheel/pedals still attached) plug it in, race for an hour, then easily fold it away and put it in a closet when not in use. I can't tell you how many times I have forfeited setting up the cockpit, because the wheelstand allowed me to jump right in, and jump right out when time was of the essence.

Compatibility

The Wheel Stand is compatible with most all wheels out on the market. All Fanatec wheels (of course), DF Pro, DFGT, G25/G27, and even the Microsoft Wireless Wheel. This means, any wheel you have, can be connected up. The Carrera Wheel was bolted to the stand using the included hardware in less than 5 minutes as the RSWS is pre-drilled for it. The standard pedals fit onto the frame like a glove (CSP's even better with the pedal stopper), and they don't move. Even when using the strong brakes of the Fanatec wheels. The only thing you will need to buy yourself, are the zip-ties for securing the wires to the stand, thus keeping them out of the way of any limbs.

In closing, if you have a couch/futon/lazy boy, or what have you, and you're tired of clamping your wheel to the coffee table, tv-dinner tray, or unused exercise equipment, this will be just what the doctor ordered. Easily fold-able and store-able, sturdy, attractive, and most importantly functional. It does exactly what it was designed for and in style. I wasn't so sure about it when it arrived, but after logging about 15 hours on it I'm sold. When I have to give this stand away (stay tuned...) I am going to miss it, and honestly I'll probably pick one up for myself, especially for quick 2 player battles where a friend can use the stand, and myself in the cockpit.

Another great product from the boys at Fanatec.

;)

Time verification:

You need to make sure you save the 'Save Best Lap Replay' (ghost replay), not the 'Save Replay'.
To view your best lap replay, go to 'My Page' and watch the replay from there using the 'Replay' option.

pb060041mt3.jpg

Save best lap / ghost replay icon

Save your ghost replay and keep it at least a full two weeks after the event's deadline:

• Racers, named by the OLR Admin staff, (if any) will be required to submit a replay for verification
  • Any submitted time is subject to a time verification request
  • When a time verification has been requested, the concerned racer must provide the correct replay within seven days of the request
  • Failure to do so will result in the removal of the unverified submission from the results table
  • Video replays are not accepted as a form of verification

Submission Details:

Please submit your time in the following format on a single line:
[Division#]---M'SS.XXX---GTP_Tag

All submissions must be sent by PM. This is a separate submission from your WRS Submission, but will use the same event, and has the same deadline. (Subject title: GTP_WRS Fanatec Porche Carrera Wheel Contest Submission) to (EDK):

• Please submit your time in the following format on a single line:
    [Division#]---M'SS.XXX---GTP_Tag
    (Example-) [division 2]---1'44.678---GTP_EDK
  • You can submit only once
  • Please include in your submission PM your division, GTP_Tag and final lap time
  • The deadline is Monday October 4th 11:59pm GMT
  • If you are unsure of the deadline try this site

Why Use GMT?:

GMT is World Time and the basis of every world time zone which sets the time of day and is at the centre of the time zone map. GMT sets current time or official time around the globe. Most time changes are measured by GMT. Although GMT has been replaced by atomic time (UTC) it is still widely regarded as the correct time for every international time zone.
Good luck, :gtplanet:
OLR Team

Last edited by a moderator:
Niice! But I've forgotten how to drive!! :ouch:

and a question:

We Request That Members Who Already Own a High End Racing Wheel (i.e. Fanatec Wheel, Logitech G25, G27, or DFGT) DO NOT Participate in the Contest

How can you know if a new registered member owns or doesn't own a high end wheel? I own, but you know it because you can find footage of me using it :D So anybody who haven't done that is allowed to participate?

Last edited:
Niice! But I've forgotten how to drive!! :ouch:

and a question:

How can you know if a new registered member owns or doesn't own a high end wheel? I own, but you know it because you can find footage of me using it :D So anybody who haven't done that is allowed to participate?

Alot of people have it in there sig what wheel/pad they are using. And I think EDK knows from most, to bad I bought a G27 2 weeks ago lol.

That's my point, a rule that can be only policed with some of the participants is not a very good rule. I just think this is an issue that needs to be discussed earlier rather than later. Other than that the competition looks really great and interesting. 👍 There should be more things like this :)

So basically this is only for pad users??...

If not,anyone who has an old dfp wheel and has proper driving skills,will win this easily...

Or am i missing something....if so - my bad!!

spy.

Maybe the concept of this competition is to give an opportunity to a good driver who can't afford having a High End Racing Wheel... to have one!

If not... by the way i also have a DFPro (except :D the GT3 RS V2 and my old DFGT)

So what if I use my old DFEX wheel or pad? Is my G25 banned because I am able to maker more precise inputs with it or is it because the competition is meant only for those who currently do not own a high quality wheel?

I'm just curious, it is not meant as criticism.

So what if I use my old DFEX wheel or pad? Is my G25 banned because I am able to maker more precise inputs with it or is it because the competition is meant only for those who currently do not own a high quality wheel?

I'm just curious, it is not meant as criticism.

Looks to me as if it's aimed at people who do not own a high-end wheel at all. So even if someone is using a DFEX, but they have a G25 in the attic, it's not for them 👍

All the best
Maz

Great initiative guys 👍

Sorry but I will not enter this competition, because

a) I would never make it to top-3 in a group of gifted drivers that WRS is, and
b) I praise myself in already owning a DFGT that annoys my family but gives me great joy :dopey:

I'll throw my name into the hat for this one :)

There's probably no way I'm fast enough, even among us button-bashers, but what the hey. Can't hurt by trying, I'm doing the combo for the WRS anyway. So count me in, please :)

Last edited:
Looks to me as if it's aimed at people who do not own a high-end wheel at all. So even if someone is using a DFEX, but they have a G25 in the attic, it's not for them 👍

All the best
Maz

Yes that is what I think as well. Just so that there's no confusion whatsoever: This is a good contest and I have no problems at all with being disqualified from taking part (not that I would have won anything anyway)

Edit: Good luck all!

Last edited:
Maybe the concept of this competition is to give an opportunity to a good driver who can't afford having a High End Racing Wheel... to have one!

That sums it up nicely, thanks. :)

The rule that members with a high end wheel should not enter is definitely an honor system rule. The intent here is to direct the contest at members who can use this wheel and will gain a benefit from it. Rather than have 2 or 3 aliens with G25's duke it out so they can turn it on EBay for a profit, or something.

Note that the contest is open only to registry members, we know them well, and have a good understanding of who is using what equipment. I know someone could decide to be deceptive, but I certainly hope people will consider this. That's why the rule says "we ask that".

This is not intended for pad users only. And, I would not agree that a DFGT owner would just walk away with it. There are examples of pad drivers who routinely beat wheel drivers in the WRS. BugMan27 and MadMax86, for example.

I'm going to ask everyone who we know have the high end wheels to refrain from discussing the rule here in the thread. And that anyone with genuine interest in the contest, or specific questions regarding the contest continue to post.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Bit of a low turn out so far :indiff:

Maybe someone should make an item about this in the 'news' section of the site. That might spread the word a bit...

Maybe someone should make an item about this in the 'news' section of the site. That might spread the word a bit...
It's only for us WRS registered users, and there's only a handful of us pad users.

I'm working on it. Jordan is a very busy man as of late. Hopefully it should be up there very soon.

;)

Very nice idea Kevin, great stuff. Count me in...
Not that I have a chance on either of the 3 prizes I think this great gesture is worth supporting nevertheless... and it should have decent participation so it's a brilliant opportunity to compete in a vast field 👍

And of course my 2 cents regarding who is supposed to get a wheel :D: I DO NOT consider the DFGT high end! Coming from my Momo wheel in the days I was still young and bothered big time with PCs I consider this wheel a plasticy POS and I regret ever having bought it (sorry to all who own one and may feel insulted, but I am just speaking for myself). A G25 was not available back when I got my PS3 except in Jo-Burg or Capetown, and then for like rediculous 4000 Rand (=€400 :drool:), besides all this discussion about compatibility was prime just then. So I took the failsafe route and went for the "official GT wheel"... what a joke! And PD is even proud of it :lol:. For me one of my favorite quotes proves itself once more: you get what you pay for!

Long story short: my high end DFGT is falling to pieces anyhow, does that entitle me (theoretically) to get the wheel of my dreams on offer here? :)

Man the times you wish you hadn’t brought a wheel, even if my pedal box is on the blink.

Good luck to all you controller operators, I hope the winners enjoy these great prizes. :drool:

Great idea for a competition.

Should be more of them, where by the prize cost is divided by the number of the participants taking part.

This is the sort of thing that make GTP such a great place to be.
OLR Team 👍

Phillip.

Ren
Not that I have a chance on either of the 3 prizes I think this great gesture is worth supporting nevertheless... and it should have decent participation so it's a brilliant opportunity to compete in a vast field 👍

And of course my 2 cents regarding who is supposed to get a wheel :D: I DO NOT consider the DFGT high end! Coming from my Momo wheel in the days I was still young and bothered big time with PCs I consider this wheel a plasticy POS and I regret ever having bought it (sorry to all who own one and may feel insulted, but I am just speaking for myself). A G25 was not available back when I got my PS3 except in Jo-Burg or Capetown, and then for like rediculous 4000 Rand (=€400 :drool:), besides all this discussion about compatibility was prime just then. So I took the failsafe route and went for the "official GT wheel"... what a joke! And PD is even proud of it :lol:. For me one of my favorite quotes proves itself once more: you get what you pay for!

Long story short: my high end DFGT is falling to pieces anyhow, does that entitle me (theoretically) to get the wheel of my dreams on offer here? :)
DFGT is high end, even if it is falling apart.

It isn't fair for us users who don't have a wheel to have someone with a wheel be in this competition.

Ren

Hmm - Not sure, are you saying that you plan to participate and drive with the pad?

Or, are you saying you want to participate and use your DFGT, and that you don't consider it high end, since it's worn out?

Only trying to clarify, right now.

BTW - I'll get that registered participant list in the first post soon.

Kevin, I use a 3 year old DFP. does that mean that I am eligable to enter?

Cheers

David
Yes, I intentionally left DFP off the list. You are good to enter.

An old DFP is nothing like any of the other wheels I listed. That's somewhat subjective, but I have driven with all of them at LAN events.

EDK
Hmm - Not sure, are you saying that you plan to participate and drive with the pad?

Or, are you saying you want to participate and use your DFGT, and that you don't consider it high end, since it's worn out?

Me pad? Haha, not a chance, I'd be better with the wheel still if I had to operate it with my teeth :lol:. Not that I'm all that hot with a wheel... with a pad I am freed of any trace of talent. If I find the time I'll just put in some laps with my wheel, won't win anyways, no worries. Or should I just not participate as I would use the wheel?

DFGT is high end, even if it is falling apart.

It isn't fair for us users who don't have a wheel to have someone with a wheel be in this competition.

Point taken. Then again, there's a few pad aliens out there that beat many wheel users, me included, any day. But yeah, let the nice prize definetely go to someone who has no wheel at all, agreed.

EDK
Yes, I intentionally left DFP off the list. You are good to enter.

An old DFP is nothing like any of the other wheels I listed. That's somewhat subjective, but I have driven with all of them at LAN events.

Is that so? I thought that the DFP & DFGT were identical in terms of ffb and it was just the additional in race assists that set them apart?

Back