GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 102 : Slow in, FAST Out

• Thread starter EDK
  • 156 comments
Thanks Frank, if so you'll join us in no time.

First things first, but I will need to get Silver and Gold in div3 before that will happen....

Only a small improvement in my splits, but 0.350 at the line :)

Last edited:
Another go at it tonight. Still have not got the uphill esses in T1 quite figured out yet, and it seems I am giving away too much in that first left hander after the T1 timing mark. Hopefully I'll have more time to put in Sunday and Monday.

Another go at it tonight. Still have not got the uphill esses in T1 quite figured out yet, and it seems I am giving away too much in that first left hander after the T1 timing mark. Hopefully I'll have more time to put in Sunday and Monday.

I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong in T2. I don't know whether to use 2nd or 3rd on that 1st left hander.

I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong in T2. I don't know whether to use 2nd or 3rd on that 1st left hander.

I hear you Gayle. I wish I could help you, but as you know, I drive an automatic so I don't shift. I do know that the auto trans shifts down to 2nd in the turn and I am braking at about the 75 meter point (just as I pass the 100 meter sign). Most of my problem there is knowing exactly when to get back in the throttle hard with out pushing into the fence on the right. I am convinced that staying out of the rough there is the key though. Oh wait, I might be talking about the Waste Management Open here in the valley!

Well, back to it. Got to try and catch Christina. Fat chance there huh? Well maybe I got a chance at Manu or Kreezy, so here goes nothing. Be back with new and quicker splits hopefully.

Firecracker

I'm having the same dilemma as you. 2nd helps the car turn in, 3rd helps exit speed. In the end I decided to stick with 3rd, helps get a better exit speed and lap time for me. The key is to get on full throttle as early as possible.

Lost my nerve a little in the last sector and ended up being conservative. Still a pretty decent lap.

Last edited:

Unfortunately I beat my lap by 0.002 I'm mad at myself. Saw a 28,598 in sector 1 was so shocked I braked early every where. Hopefully I can have these splits and a better last sector otherwise ill drop positions :banghead:

I'm done, good luck to all late runners

Koen this week were very close yet again, nice rivalry forming here. 👍

Last edited:

Nice splits Manu, couldn't resist he?

Yeah, you really push me to the limit. Every time i think that i did what i could you show up with some splits and i can start back again. This week i am done, think i am to my limit and like you said, had enough of this car and place. It just won't let you drive it the way you want, feels like being a passenger.

Have to say that i notice going slightly faster, so i really like our little competition: it helps me improving and find those extra tenths!!

Very curious about the result this week, so good luck mate:nervous:

:)

Very nice splits. I went down on the leaderboard since the beginning of the week, i just hope to climb some more 0.xxx , i remember that i've made a very good finish with a very good last hairpin.

Let's see what happen.

Congrats to everybody.

last night yielded this. Left 1/10 in T2 and T3. May submit as I can't touch that T1 again. One more quick session.

Probably submitting this.

Last edited:
Another run and I think this may be it. I still have lots of room for improvement in T1 and T3 but I just don't know if I'll be able to do it.

Always wanted to know what it would be like to use the motorcycle portion of Tsukuba.

Spend some time on this combo and ended with two exact the same fastest lap times.

=

Guys do not forget to check this thread:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=273199

You can sign up for some exciting racing :)

2n70aar.jpg

Last edited:
A little bit of improvement here, and I gotta say, that short track is awesome. Love it. 👍

I'll have a go tomorrow but I think those will be my final splits.

A question for the stewards and some background:
I'm trying to get my head around the discussion happening in the GT Academy Edition Challenge Online Qualifying TT. It seems that TiTech managed to gain an advantage by reversing at the beginning of the TT in order to get a longer run up to the lap. This is reflected in TiTech's total time (first laps were faster because cold tyres were better apparently). ImmortalPilot didn't do this and is unhappy about it. It's quite a discussion ;).

I bring this up here because I notice that if I take a very wide turn at the beginning of this TT, in second gear, almost brushing the end wall in the turn before the start, I gain almost a half a car length compared to any second lap. In other words a good lap has to be a first lap. This feels a bit dodgy because I'm outside the white lines in that turn and I know I'd be DQ'd if this had been a turn within the lap.
There's no way to check this on a replay except by noticing greater speed across the start line (overall time would not be as affected as the example above) . Am I misbehaving or is this accepted practice?
Thanks.

I bring this up here because I notice that if I take a very wide turn at the beginning of this TT, in second gear, almost brushing the end wall in the turn before the start, I gain almost a half a car length compared to any second lap. In other words a good lap has to be a first lap. This feels a bit dodgy because I'm outside the white lines in that turn and I know I'd be DQ'd if this had been a turn within the lap.
There's no way to check this on a replay except by noticing greater speed across the start line (overall time would not be as affected as the example above) . Am I misbehaving or is this accepted practice?
Thanks.
1st point to note is that all hard surfaces are track, so you wouldn't be out of bounds there on any lap. Using a wide entry before starting your flying lap is pretty standard practice anyway so my stand is its fair play. We do occasionally have combos where the run up to the Start/Finish line is not long enough to get the car up to speed (Daytona springs to mind) so the only options are to either reverse to get the required distance or write the first lap off... and as has been observed, cold tyres can be advantageous since they don't overheat as fast and can therefore be pushed slightly harder on the first lap.

1st point to note is that all hard surfaces are track, so you wouldn't be out of bounds there on any lap. Using a wide entry before starting your flying lap is pretty standard practice anyway so my stand is its fair play. We do occasionally have combos where the run up to the Start/Finish line is not long enough to get the car up to speed (Daytona springs to mind) so the only options are to either reverse to get the required distance or write the first lap off... and as has been observed, cold tyres can be advantageous since they don't overheat as fast and can therefore be pushed slightly harder on the first lap.

Thanks Chris.
It's stated in the OP that "run off areas are not part of the track". I thought this included those areas outside of the white lines around the hairpins. But anyway, thanks for the clarification 👍

First event on GTP. I only have a provisional Div 4 placement but thought I'd give this a go.

Still working on it. Thanks EDK for the setup. I'm in over my head on the suspension and tranny setup (for now). Hope to learn from some pros.

Scott

I think I am done, Praiano's setup and PB's on all 3 sectors! Can't catch ghosty anymore!

Al

Got a little better in T1, lost a lot in T2, but gained nearly 2 tenths at the line. I think I am done with this one!

Thanks Chris.
It's stated in the OP that "run off areas are not part of the track". I thought this included those areas outside of the white lines around the hairpins. But anyway, thanks for the clarification 👍

The race specifics state 'all hard surfaces are track" at that point the race specifics overrules the standard clean OLR rules.

Unfortunately lost my head completely in the final corner. Missed my braking point and went in deep, and on exit caught the inside kerb and got some serious airtime. Just managed to scrape ahead in front of my ghost. Otherwise a very good lap. Submitted :).

Close at the top with 4 D2 drivers who can end up in any order in the results. It was great fun and good luck :cheers:.

OK, I've improved but getting a bit frustrated now....errrr!

What format do I post all my splits in? I see the info at the beginning of the thread that the fetchbot will add the splits. Do I separate the splits with something? A comma?

Thanks,
Scott

You're entering splits correctly, but they won't show up on the leaderboard for you just yet. Your provisional ranking means that you can participate in the online races right away, but official participation in the time trials here will have to wait a few weeks until you are officially in the Registry.

Gave it one more go after Gooners posted that sweet T2. Can't touch it, but personal best T1 and T3 in same lap. Posting. Good Luck All !

Back