GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 11 : NASCAR - WRS Style

• Thread starter EDK
  • 459 comments
Can't control this car very well, any kind of speed coming out of a turn results in the tail coming to say hello. I think this is why I skipped the A Spec event.

You do have to gradually feed the throttle back to full power with these cars. Much harder on a DS3, no doubt.

First WRS with a wheel for me 👍 Still can't get the hang of counter-steering effectively, so it'll be a week of throttle temperament for me :nervous:

Hoping to give this a go today, had a bad 5 or 6 days with sickness but feeling a lot better, always seems strange getting back behind the wheel after a few days for me, takes time to get back to being able to drive properly

@nine_hundred

Map the throttle and brakes to the triggers is essential. You may have already done this - makes a huge difference if you can be a bit granular with input.

With this car I use TCS 2 or 3 - no more than that is required, don't be fooled by the immense slipperyness the first few laps.

Key thing for powerful, race cars on a DS3 is Active Steering - it really helps and you don't lose much speed.

So far I've used TCS: 3, ABS: 5, Active Steering: Strong, STM: Off, Controller Sensitivity: 0

The above in conjunction with Chuk's settings (Page 2 of the thread?) got me to this, so far

T1: 22.853
T2: 21.622
T3: 17.972 (Didn't realise this was quite so good til I saw the other times!)

Still don't understand turn 4 - there's like....nothing to spot with !? Rest of the lap is coming together quite nicely.

Didn't think I'd like this weeks event, but I do - I quite like the track and despite the fact the car feels like a cathedral on wheels, it's fun to drive on the soft racing tyre and not that tough to control. Still need to find some more time to be division-competitive.

Frustrating - can't lend a car from my other account as the PSN is still down, and I'm only level 17. Seasonals would have been a good way to level up, but...need that PSN again!

It's going to be Friday at this rate before I even turn a lap :ill:

Yeah, but you don't have to level up to lend a car :), I just noticed you have to be lvl 21 to do the last NASCAR challenge.
I'm getting up to lvl 21 now with the Zonda R I've lent before the online breakdown so I can just buy one.

poolhaas, I'm in the same boat with the PSN outages. Have a Nascar in my other account. I have the credits but need to be level 21 to buy. What events are the quickest to level up on? I've got the gallardo and the super evo rally 03, that's the only cars I've got in this account.

Looking forward to this, will be quite a challenge, don't know this track and I'd say this NASCAR will be quite the handful. Love the events I'm bad at to improve my skills.

@Carlos, I see your educating our fellow WRS'ers (chuck) on horlicks, haven't had that since I was a kid. Better then Bonox though :yuck:

Last edited:
@nine_hundred

Map the throttle and brakes to the triggers is essential. You may have already done this - makes a huge difference if you can be a bit granular with input.

With this car I use TCS 2 or 3 - no more than that is required, don't be fooled by the immense slipperyness the first few laps.

Key thing for powerful, race cars on a DS3 is Active Steering - it really helps and you don't lose much speed.

So far I've used TCS: 3, ABS: 5, Active Steering: Strong, STM: Off, Controller Sensitivity: 0

The above in conjunction with Chuk's settings (Page 2 of the thread?) got me to this, so far

Still don't understand turn 4 - there's like....nothing to spot with !? Rest of the lap is coming together quite nicely.

Didn't think I'd like this weeks event, but I do - I quite like the track and despite the fact the car feels like a cathedral on wheels, it's fun to drive on the soft racing tyre and not that tough to control. Still need to find some more time to be division-competitive.

Are you running on the soft racing tire?

Great T3 👍

Are you running on the soft racing tire?

Yeah I worded that somewhat wrongly - I meant that we're on a "softer" racing tyre than usual, I'm using the racing mediums are per the rules :)

@nine_hundred

I'll give this a try, I did have the Throttle/Brakes on the triggers but just couldn't get used to it, so went back to the trusty X and O. I'll give it another go tonight.

Cheers for the input 👍

First few laps after finally reaching lvl 21

T1: 23.764
T2: 22.752
T3: 18.652

I'm still being way too careful, gradually building up the revs :)

Here are some early splits from me.

My car isn't quite upto max HP yet, I've done just under 100 miles with it so far.:)

I don't have a NASCAR car on this account and don't have the money to buy one so I thought, 'I'll just do the NASCAR special events.'. Everything is going fine until I get to the expert races and ASM is locked on and ABS can't be set to 0! Mother:censored:. I may not get a car until PSN is back up. Good luck all.

Not sure I have the patience for this one. Not a fan of driving 'these' cars let alone wait for the hp to increase, GL guys!

Jerome

I don't have a NASCAR car on this account and don't have the money to buy one so I thought, 'I'll just do the NASCAR special events.'. Everything is going fine until I get to the expert races and ASM is locked on and ABS can't be set to 0! Mother:censored:. I may not get a car until PSN is back up. Good luck all.

You can set the brake balance to 0/0 though and that improves things a little according to a post in here:- A plead to PD to turn ASM off in Nascar Driving School

Don´t really remember how i did it, but look at this, maybe can give you some help:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=184492&page=2

1st and probably my only session... I like the challenge of managing the throttle, but just can't seem to get the front end to bite no matter what I do with the settings!

T1: 22.456
T2: 20.847
T3: 17.883

T3 was very rough... sideways with smoke everywhere :grumpy:

Settings...

Aero: Max f & r
Gears: Max speed 236 mph
LSD: 5 30 5
Ride: -20 0
Spring: 15.5 11.0
Rebound: 8 6
Bound: 5 5
Camber 3.0 1.6
Toe: 0 0

Good luck anyone using a DS3 :lol:

Last edited:
I golded the the first event by turning on to the track immediately after exiting the pits and having the third place car crush me up to speed. I think Joey Lagano is dead but hey, I have a car to use for this week so it was worth it. Brake balance of 0/0 seemd to help also. Thanks guys.

Looks like I'll have to level up quickly too to get the NASCAR. If I recall correctly you need to turn off ABS on the pits test to win easily.

Lefty, are you sure you are in the right car? I just bought a NASCAR from the dealership and it comes with over 800hp. No miles, no oil change. I think the norm is somewhere around 827hp

Yah I'm driving a NASCAR mystery car,
mysterycar.jpg

I am just doing my version of a horsepower test as I sort the car out. As I increase the horsepower certain traits about the car will make its presents known and I can see the progression of improvement and not just write it off to massive HP.

The game I am playing is that I can't increase the HP until I can knock out consistent times that are significantly faster then the lesser hp version, after I have absorbed the change in driving brought about by the extra go I can then increse the C-ya. It may be my new trick when we are using such high horsepower cars that we can get access to the power limiter.

I've always said that "you have to sneek up on speed to find it, not just reach out and expect to grab it"

Now, I want to explore the ballast. If you move the ballast adjustment towards the front or rear, it affects the handling. This is true even if the ballast weight is zero.

:lol: I was thinking about the same thing but I think that you have to actually make it weigh something. With all the HP that this car has it shouldn't slow it down enough that the offset of placement of additional weight will more then make up for and bring in rotational balance IMO.

Last edited:
First splits:

T1: 22.619
T2: 21.621
T3: 18.169

What a huge difference from the rally. The worst part is that i´m trying to drift some corners and looking for the grass to slow down the car :crazy:

It's shaping up a bit

T1: 23.168
T2: 21.968
T3: 19.318

Still going wide in alot of corners.

chuk is killing me here, watching him leap. I did make some forward progress though. Funny that my split gain has inversed itself.

Still breaking 'er in, but here's some early splits..!

T1: 23.448
T2: 22.013
T3: 18.579

Frustrating - can't lend a car from my other account as the PSN is still down, and I'm only level 17. Seasonals would have been a good way to level up, but...need that PSN again!

It's going to be Friday at this rate before I even turn a lap :ill:

OK, so after I typed the above I realised I had a lvl 21 ticket on this account :dopey: When I'd used it before all I ever got was NASCAR. In my haste I didn't back-up save the account and what did I get - the HKS C230R time attack car! So now I'm spamming the tuner car challenge and the turbo cup to level up :grumpy:

Maybe this is a sign I should wait until next weeks challenge...

EDIT: Chuk, awesome splits man 👍

Can we run over the rumble and white line on turn 12, the speedway corner? Chuk is freaking out over here.

I am just doing my version of a horsepower test as I sort the car out. As I increase the horsepower certain traits about the car will make its presents known and I can see the progression of improvement and not just write it off to massive HP.

The game I am playing is that I can't increase the HP until I can knock out consistent times that are significantly faster then the lesser hp version, after I have absorbed the change in driving brought about by the extra go I can then increse the C-ya. It may be my new trick when we are using such high horsepower cars that we can get access to the power limiter.

I've always said that "you have to sneek up on speed to find it, not just reach out and expect to grab it"

Very interesting.

I've never been any good at tuning. I really appreciate the insight as I'm now convinced I need a new approach 👍 cheers Lefty.

Can we run over the rumble and white line on turn 12, the speedway corner? Chuk is freaking out over here.

Yeah, you can run over that line and rumble, no problem.

Honestly, I'm not sure that it's any faster doing it that way, I think you can hold the tighter line without costing yourself any speed.

EDK
Yeah, you can run over that line and rumble, no problem.

Honestly, I'm not sure that it's any faster doing it that way, I think you can hold the tighter line without costing yourself any speed.

Absolutely, I agree. I had to convince chuk by making a post. He's driving me nuts :rolleyes:

Not to mention the fact he's mega-quick. 👍

Back