GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 11 : NASCAR - WRS Style

• Thread starter EDK
  • 459 comments
Thank you Carlos!! 👍 My best t1 has been a .422, but it's getting harder to stay in front of the ghost. I'm going to keep trying, though. :)

Thank you Carlos!! 👍 My best t1 has been a .422, but it's getting harder to stay in front of the ghost. I'm going to keep trying, though. :)

That's the spirit Chuk - way to represent D3! At the rate I'm going I'll be racing vicariously (sp?) through you this week. I only get an hour or so each evening once everyone else is in bed, and I need to level up from 17 to 21 before I can buy my NASCAR and even start this week - keeping my fingers crossed they'll get the PSN sorted in the next 24 hours or so, at which point I can gift my well run-in car from my main account instead :indiff:

Keep banging those laps in buddy

Very interesting.

I've never been any good at tuning. I really appreciate the insight as I'm now convinced I need a new approach 👍 cheers Lefty.

It's an old trick I used to use and it really helps when trying to sort out handling problems as well as learn the little adjustments to your style as you progress up the HP ladder, rather then deal w/ 800+ponies all at once and a miserable handfull of holy 🤬

When Darrell Waltrip hears tires screeching and a car he is describing to the viewers looks like it is about to crash, you might here him use the phrase " I think he made the car angry"...... :lol:

As I start my evening assault on Indy I was thinking about PSN being down and I had to laugh, by running these challenges each week I don’t hardly ever drive online anymore …. Lol, so the WRS is keeping me distracted enough that I don’t hardly feel it… cool

Last edited:
Yah I'm driving a NASCAR mystery car,
mysterycar.jpg

I am just doing my version of a horsepower test as I sort the car out. As I increase the horsepower certain traits about the car will make its presents known and I can see the progression of improvement and not just write it off to massive HP.

The game I am playing is that I can't increase the HP until I can knock out consistent times that are significantly faster then the lesser hp version, after I have absorbed the change in driving brought about by the extra go I can then increse the C-ya. It may be my new trick when we are using such high horsepower cars that we can get access to the power limiter.

I've always said that "you have to sneek up on speed to find it, not just reach out and expect to grab it".

Hope you didn't think I meant you had no strategy to it. I just thought you might have been in the wrong car and would want to make the switch early in the week.

Now that I read your reply, I completely understand. I am not sure if I am going to attack it this way, but I can definitely see the reasoning behind it.

Good Luck this week Lefty, you have been on a bit of a tear lately.

T1: 23.763
T2: 22.009
T3: 18.830

I’m finally at the end of my 600hp run and I’m ready to go up to 650

T1: 23.789
T2: 21.884
T3: 18.552

Good Luck this week Lefty, you have been on a bit of a tear lately.
Even a broken clock is "Wright" twice a day :)

First round of 650 hp runs

T1: 23.379
T2: 21.900
T3: 18.564

Last edited:
First half hour try with barely any miles on this car as my favorite is not usable this week. Under 870 HP for these splits.
I'm going to send the car to B-spec Bob to get the miles up.

I think my best adjustment so far is to the audio system as I don't like the sound of the tranny. :ill: Sounds like it's bone dry and screaming for lube.

I'll wait to make suspension adjustments after reaching peak HP.
It's hard to tell if it's the tune or the HP that makes the car go faster, kind of a catch 22 there.

Using Chuk's settings. Thank you Chuk:tup:

Not up to full hp yet, and the car already seems to be winning the battle for control(between car and driver). Hopefully as the week progresses, I will be in a bit better control. A fun beast so far.

T1: 22.762
T2: 20.960
T3: 17.731

Edit - Just viewed my car.. 161 miles. Strangely, it required a $250k chassis rebuild. Doesn't this seem a bit early? For reference, I did not install the chassis rigidity.(does this make a difference on chassis wear?) If this persists, it is going to be an expensive week. lol

Edit #2 - Ok, this seems a bit silly. I ran another 50 miles. I am now at 211 miles total on the odometer. Another chassis rebuild is available for $250k. The engine rebuild is also available for $150k. I can't afford this continuing repair bill. Why PD, why? A new car costs $500k but to repair this one costs $400k with no accidents and 211 miles. Am I missing something here? Needless to say, I am going to wait until I have the combo down, before repairing again.

Last edited:
Boogity Boogity...

After spending an hour or so getting my GTP_ account to lvl 21 to buy a NASCAR, got some laps in:

T1: 23.077
T2: 21.351
T3: 18.083

Still some time to be had, as well as whatever improvements I get as the car gains a few hp.

For those interested, to level up, I just did the Advanced AMG challenge - got me from mid level 19 to just under level 21. And had fun driving the old merc in the wet for good measure.

Yeehaw!

@Red - I think the chassis/engine refresh become available as soon as you leave the garage, so to speak. For the distance I will drive this week, I dont think I will bother with it.

T1: 23.379
T2: 21.900
T3: 18.564

Well the round of 650 yielded another 1.1 off the OT and another .9 sec‘s of the shows. To this point I have increased my HP by 200 HP and lost 4.2 sec’s overall and 2.2 sec’s on my shows.

T1: 23.399
T2: 21.694
T3: 18.303
Now on to the Round of 700

Nice splits, Dr!! :cheers:
Thanks 👍

Well the round of 650 yielded another 1.1 off the OT and another .9 sec‘s of the shows. To this point I have increased my HP by 200 HP and lost 4.2 sec’s overall and 2.2 sec’s on my shows.

T1: 23.399
T2: 21.694
T3: 18.303
Now on to the Round of 700
Nice times for still being down on power, looks like its time to open her up.:sly:

Worked on my set-up a bit more and am making some progress, still need to work on the gearing through the hairpins but its feeling good for a baseline. Took a little bit to get the rear dampers sorted so it pulls nicely up off the corners without roasting the tires though.

New splits.
T1: 22.436
T2: 20.973
T3: 17.876

Last edited:
Updated splits.

Have seen better on all 3 of the splits (some 22.4's at T1), but this is my best example of holding it together.

Using Chuk's settings. Thank you Chuk:tup:

Not up to full hp yet, and the car already seems to be winning the battle for control(between car and driver). Hopefully as the week progresses, I will be in a bit better control. A fun beast so far.

Edit - Just viewed my car.. 161 miles. Strangely, it required a $250k chassis rebuild. Doesn't this seem a bit early? For reference, I did not install the chassis rigidity.(does this make a difference on chassis wear?) If this persists, it is going to be an expensive week. lol

Edit #2 - Ok, this seems a bit silly. I ran another 50 miles. I am now at 211 miles total on the odometer. Another chassis rebuild is available for $250k. The engine rebuild is also available for $150k. I can't afford this continuing repair bill. Why PD, why? A new car costs $500k but to repair this one costs $400k with no accidents and 211 miles. Am I missing something here? Needless to say, I am going to wait until I have the combo down, before repairing again.

You're welcome for the settings. I do have to give Jake credit, too. 👍 He helps me tune a car really quickly, rather than testing for hour after hour. The funny thing is he and I hardly ever agree on a final tune. To each his own, I guess.
As far as the chassis reinforcement, I didn't buy it. I just never found it to make that much of a difference. It's more important to change the oil. The motor I used for my posted splits needs a rebuild, but I'm too cheap to do it. I only have 1,000,000 credits, and there's no telling when the PSN will be back up, so I'm saving my money.
Race On!
@ Barra333: Glad to see I'm not the only one!!! :cheers:

First splits:

T1: 22.619
T2: 21.621
T3: 18.169

What a huge difference from the rally. The worst part is that i´m trying to drift some corners and looking for the grass to slow down the car :crazy:

I'm not looking for the grass, but it seems to be finding me. :sly:
Still learning the track. Here's a tip, left and right are actually different directions :crazy:

It's quite hard here, especially on the inner part as there is not many braking markers I have found yet. Purely relying on the driving line to help me find the way at the moment. I'm using my normal account to learnt the track/car combo before attempting any serious splits. Hopefully by the time I learn the track PSN will be back up and can gift myself the car. Regardless I'm enjoying this, much more fun when I stay on the hard stuff though.

I wonder if there might be any leniency this week about using the 'normal' accounts rather than the GTP accounts considering the PSN problems?

Edit: Anyone got any tips on the tight 'S' in T3. Should I be staying out wide and cutting the apex of the first right, or trying to straightline by staying tight on the first right? Loosing bucketloads of time here. In the 18.9xx and I see everyone in the 17's, must be doing something fundamentally wrong here.

Last edited:
You're welcome for the settings. I do have to give Jake credit, too. 👍 He helps me tune a car really quickly, rather than testing for hour after hour. The funny thing is he and I hardly ever agree on a final tune. To each his own, I guess.
As far as the chassis reinforcement, I didn't buy it. I just never found it to make that much of a difference. It's more important to change the oil. The motor I used for my posted splits needs a rebuild, but I'm too cheap to do it. I only have 1,000,000 credits, and there's no telling when the PSN will be back up, so I'm saving my money.
Race On!
@ Barra333: Glad to see I'm not the only one!!! :cheers:

I decided to do all the rebuilds one more time, exit the game, and save it to a flash drive. This way, every time before I log on, I will refresh that save. I don't really know another way around it, without wasting a bunch of credits. It probably doesn't make much of a difference, but it gives me piece of mind.

I hope this might help anyone that was worried about credit waste.

My old splits:

New splits:
T1: 22.456
T2: 20.910
T3: 17.917

.2 slow in T3, which unfortunately loses me the fastest T3 on the board. But did improve my time by just over .3 on T1/T2

Good idea redreevos! 👍 By the way, I tweaked the front toe up to .10. I don't know if it made a difference in handling or was just psychological, but I did it! :sly:

Good idea redreevos! 👍 By the way, I tweaked the front toe up to .10. I don't know if it made a difference in handling or was just psychological, but I did it! :sly:

Thank you Chuk! I will give that a shot. Your tune seems to be working great so far. We have 2 of the top 4 spots from using it. The difference between your and my time is almost nothing. Hopefully we can keep improving, and swap spots a few times this week.

Thanks again for sharing

:cheers:

Updated splits.

There is still some room for improving these too.:)

First 120km's, using Chucks setup....thanks for sharing!
This track and this cars are new to me...mostly restarts for now because of the first turn:

-------

Improvement at the end, even if T2 and t3 are marginally slower
T1: 22.607
T2: 21.406
T3: 18.110

First 120km's, using Chucks setup....thanks for sharing!
This track and this cars are new to me...mostly restarts for now because of the first turn:

-------

I'm using (what I think is) one of the track side cameras on the left as a braking point.

Turn 1 is a bit of a SOB... you need to be super close to the tyres to get the right line, but half my laps are ruined by hitting them :lol:

Still, turn 1 isn't anywhere near the hardest corner for me. That prize goes to turn 4 and the last proper right hander before the 2 final flat rights and the straight to the line. Both those corners require a bit of trail braking to get the car turned in... but a bit too much and the car understeers, and too little and the car understeers... grrrr!

New splits:

-------

Having problems with sector2....(turn4 is grrrr)
240km's so far and just realised that I need to change oil...curently on 867bhp!!:dunce:

Off to work now,laters!

Another Update.

These splits aren't much faster than the previous ones but the lap is nearly a 3 tenth improvement at the line.:) There is still a few tenths in it at least though, if I put all my best sectors together.:sly:

Having loadsa problems in T3 and T2 doesn't feel all that great either. But hit my lap time target for today. Using Stotty's tune. I think this is just a case of practice rather than tuning adjustments though.

For the right hander before the long back straight, are people using 1st or 2nd?

I'm contemplating tweaking 2nd gear (I've not touched anything but the final gear, which is at 217mph) so I can get a bit more oomph out of there. I can then also use it for the exit of the final hairpin in T3. But not sure if that'll compromise me anywhere else.

Spent most of yesterday morning, plus a few hours today just trying to get to lvl 21 on my second (GTP) account :irked: Level 18 so far godammit.

I may spend a bit of time practicing on my main account.. Get the tune right and then copy n paste on my GTP profile when i'm able. Or just gift it when PSN is back up? It'll come on just as I reach 21 I bet ya!

Feel like I'm missing out though, on paper it sounds like a really good combo :(

For the right hander before the long back straight, are people using 1st or 2nd?

Using 2nd on that corner... lift and slight brake just before the shadow, turn in at the shadow, back on the gas almost fully (I said ALMOST!) at the apex.

I use 1st in turn 1 too (just to get the bloody thing turned in) but back up to 2nd straight away, and also a quick downshift at the end of the back straight (again, to aid turn in), but back in to 2nd at the apex.

Using 1st in the chicane... and exiting in 1st there too.

Spent most of yesterday morning, plus a few hours today just trying to get to lvl 21 on my second (GTP) account :irked: Level 18 so far godammit.

I may spend a bit of time practicing on my main account.. Get the tune right and then copy n paste on my GTP profile when i'm able. Or just gift it when PSN is back up? It'll come on just as I reach 21 I bet ya!

Feel like I'm missing out though, on paper it sounds like a really good combo :(

You might want to try this -

For those interested, to level up, I just did the Advanced AMG challenge - got me from mid level 19 to just under level 21. And had fun driving the old merc in the wet for good measure.

Back