GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 111 : Finale di Enzo

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 147 comments
For me the challenge is more rewarding with AS off, I kind of feel like I cheated leaving it on :)

Litchi are you driving this with ABS off?

As someone who's used the DS3 more than the wheel, I'd say Active Steering off is quicker if you have the throttle control because it allows the car to turn in a bit more, where it seems to lose out normally to the wheel. But also, if your throttle control isn't up to par on the DS3, then you will probably be quicker with it on, it's just dependant on the car though.

Hi everyone, long time no see you.

Ramon... long time to see indeed, and long time no speak either.

How are you my good friend? Come say hi in 'the other place' sometime.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Active steering... ironic that people decry active steering in the name of reality, then use ABS with severely rear biased brake balances.

Neither is realistic.

Glad to see some guys taking a stand against Active Steering. 👍 Enzo would approve. :D
Sure, but I don't think Mr.Enzo would approve the use of ABS in a F40. :D

Driving without active steering is fun, even without ABS is funner, but I've fun climbing in a leaderboard too, so I'm kind of divided here.

Just for info, the use of active steering with a DS3 is less noticeable than when using a wheel due to the DS3 handling algorithm.

Have been there a WRS TT event with ABS forbidden in the past? I ask because it would be cool.

How are you my good friend? Come say hi in 'the other place' sometime.
Hey Chris, I'm a bit rusty and some joints begin to squeak here but the spirit is the same of a 20 years old guy :P , I see you're in good shape. :D 👍

BTW, new splits:

Last edited:
So I tried AS last night and it doesn't agree with me. I can feel what it is doing but I'd have to change my brain to be able to use it. Turned it back off and found half a second at the line. Searching for another half at least before I feel good about it.

Still confused on T1...either I suck coming out of Parabolica or I'm slowing way too much. Also, shift points seem to make a big difference with these tall gears on the long straights. Any pointers? I've played around with about 7K but going to redline definitely seems slower.

So I tried AS last night and it doesn't agree with me. I can feel what it is doing but I'd have to change my brain to be able to use it. Turned it back off and found half a second at the line. Searching for another half at least before I feel good about it.

Still confused on T1...either I suck coming out of Parabolica or I'm slowing way too much. Also, shift points seem to make a big difference with these tall gears on the long straights. Any pointers? I've played around with about 7K but going to redline definitely seems slower.

Tried a bit shifting just after 7k maybe 7.5k for curve grande I'm taping the brakes till the car points into the curve, then wait for the front tyres to grab the road and get back on power on 3rd it all happens in a second :) my fastest around there is a .271 (without AS, you don't really need it for sector 1)

Hey Chris, I'm a bit rusty and some joints begin to squeak here but the spirit is the same of a 20 years old guy :P , I see you're in good shape. :D 👍

BTW, new splits:

At out our age things like that are to be expected :lol:

Great T2 👍

I had another quick go today but couldn't find the rythmn. I did see a 22.203 T1 though, and reckon a high 22.1 is possible.

...for curve grande I'm taping the brakes till the car points into the curve, then wait for the front tyres to grab the road and get back on power on 3rd it all happens in a second :) my fastest around there is a .271 (without AS, you don't really need it for sector 1)

Agreed. Easy to wait too long to get back on the power and drop a tenth or two though

Fun car to drive, hard to drive t2 and ascari, Im losing a lot of time there, still playing with brake bias, I wonder what everyone else is using? (does any one have any tips for t2 :) )

some splits for the board

Fun car to drive, hard to drive t2 and ascari, Im losing a lot of time there, still playing with brake bias, I wonder what everyone else is using? (does any one have any tips for t2 :) )

I'm using 3/6... but still playing the the balance.... I prefer a more rearward balance for T1 and T2, but more neutral balance for Parabolica... just don't have the dexterity to change mid lap, so still searching for the right average.

It's important to ease off the brake as you 1st turn in or the car understeers, so early braking is important in T2... get the car turned in, wait for the apex, neutralise your steering angle, then learn the amount of throttle you can pick up without creating oversteer, or understeering too wide on the exit (if you pick it up too early).

I'm using 3/6... but still playing the the balance.... I prefer a more rearward balance for T1 and T2, but more neutral balance for Parabolica... just don't have the dexterity to change mid lap, so still searching for the right average.

It's important to ease off the brake as you 1st turn in or the car understeers, so early braking is important in T2... get the car turned in, wait for the apex, neutralise your steering angle, then learn the amount of throttle you can pick up without creating oversteer, or understeering too wide on the exit (if you pick it up too early).

Thanks 👍 will try it tomorrow

Great T2 👍
Thank you, I got it only once, usually my second split goes from .6xx to .8xx
Great splits from you too 👍
I had another quick go today but couldn't find the rythmn. I did see a 22.203 T1 though, and reckon a high 22.1 is possible.
My best T1 is a .189 but usually it's between .250 and .350

I find curva grande quite tricky, I brake a bit there, downshift to 3rd and never release completely the gas pedal, as soon as the car is near the inner side I press full throttle again and I begin to pray.

I shift at the redline, but sometimes a bit earlier.

I'm using default brake bias and strong active steering.
Right after T1, at variante della Roggia, I was losing some time because I was using 2nd gear there, definitively 1rst gear is the way to go there.

Again, I have to quote Paul Simon: "You know the nearer your destination, the more you slip sliding away"! Giving it your all with this combo can be quite a hair raising experience. Thanks Lucas, er... Kevin.

Last edited:
Found my half. :D I saw a 480 in T1 once and I think I'm getting better there but I found a good chunk in Lesmo. Think I can do Ascari better but pretty pleased with this one. If be happy to find another 3 tenths but it will be tough.

I tried AS in my last stint couple of days ago and it disrupted my concentration totally. It causes strange clunky noises and feeling in my g27, so back to normal attack mode.
The combo is spot on 👍 . Unfortunately, my schedule allows only a couple of sessions more to perform.
Here is some F40 footage I found in Youtube. Unfortunately not in english but nevertheless, very enjoyable:

I'm using default brake bias and strong active steering.
Right after T1, at variante della Roggia, I was losing some time because I was using 2nd gear there, definitively 1rst gear is the way to go there.

Thanks 👍 been using 1st to enter then short shifting to 2nd as going there on 1st can cause some sliding, maybe a downside to not using AS. I tried with it on and it was behaving a bit weird even on the straights making some clunking noises on my wheel

I tried AS in my last stint couple of days ago and it disrupted my concentration totally. It causes strange clunky noises and feeling in my g27, so back to normal attack mode.

If you're using AS with a G series wheel I'd suggest turning your FF down to something like 3... lower FF works better with AS.

22.3xx
38.9xx

Thanks Stotty, but I'd better not mess up with different wheel settings anymore. I'm on the edge now and my rig time is running out.

My playstation is giving some clunky noise when trying to read the disc, yesterday I just restarted it and it worked but now it won't work, does that mean I have to replace the disc drive ?

My playstation is giving some clunky noise when trying to read the disc, yesterday I just restarted it and it worked but now it won't work, does that mean I have to replace the disc drive ?

Might just need a lense clean on the read head. Plenty of YouTube vids out there to walk you through the process and it's cheaper than buying a new disk 👍

Edit: here's a link to one vid www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O-8NzYHr80

Hey All. Been quite a while and i've been itchin to get back to my wheel. Been busy getting the new block assembled for the drag car and trying to buy a new house aswell as getting the old house ready to sell. Not to mention the darn dog chewed through my com cable for my wheel AGAIN ! I had a few short stints at this one and was unsure if I would have the time to get used to racing again, but after this morning's stint i'm gonna find the time to atleast post. Splits to come soon, still not maxed out for the day.

picture.php

Damn and blast it....that was my perfect lap (lap 39)

What's with the cheeky grin? Is it the suspension doing that?
picture.php

Back