GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 15 : Running Full Stop in Reverse - FIRST POST UPDATED

• Thread starter EDK
  • 711 comments
EDIT: that's very interesting. Chris has ended up with very similar settings to me...

Yeah I just saw that mate. Part of me has died a little inside at using a setup like this... its the tuning equivalent of hitting something repeatedly with a hammer as an attempt to fix it.

Yeah I just saw that mate. Part of me has died a little inside at using a setup like this... its the tuning equivalent of hitting something repeatedly with a hammer as an attempt to fix it.
:lol: Thats a great way of putting it

1st splits. I think my gears are out of wack. If anyone would care to share some it would be great :)

T1: 24.541
T2: 30.362

I'm using this:

Gears:
Max 155 mph
4th 1412
5th 1151

Not sure what it is with your setups Chris, but everytime I use yours, the car seems to be a lot smoother for me. Maybe we have the same driving style? :crazy:

Anyway, great job 👍 & keep it up.

New splits.

T1: 23.592
T2: 29.579

Last edited:
1st splits. I think my gears are out of wack. If anyone would care to share some it would be great :)

Great to see you back in for a run mate 👍

I'm using this:

Gears:
Max 155 mph
4th 1412
5th 1151

I tuned and helped it a bit, will definitely try Plato's settings.

Plato - I know it's not polite to ask for settings, so my question is, "Did you leave the toe settings out for secrecy or are they just stock?

I tuned and helped it a bit, will definitely try Plato's settings.

Plato - I know it's not polite to ask for settings, so my question is, "Did you leave the toe settings out for secrecy or are they just stock?

I think that is his 0/0 setting he posted. But I have been wrong before.

so my question is, "Did you leave the toe settings out for secrecy or are they just stock?

Toe is 0/0 - with this combo and this tune, there are no corners where toe settings would make any difference, other than to further unbalance the car in the high speed bends.. its already unbalanced enough with the rear being so soft.

.. its already unbalanced enough with the rear being so soft.

You mean the front being so soft - remember that the settings are reversed 👍 The rear is actually very hard which follows the principles used in RL for FWD race cars to induce oversteer/reduce understeer.

Toe is 0/0 - with this combo and this tune, there are no corners where toe settings would make any difference, other than to further unbalance the car in the high speed bends.. its already unbalanced enough with the rear being so soft.
I beg to differ. Toe was the main piece for my tune, + rear toe stabilizes the back end, and - toe makes it rotate easier. At least it did with my "tune".

I beg to differ. Toe was the main piece for my tune, + rear toe stabilizes the back end, and - toe makes it rotate easier. At least it did with my "tune".

Yes with another tune - this tune is so extreme front to rear that toe doesn't help. And toe settings are generally more use in slower, technical sections - they reduce the tyres' effectiveness under braking and increase the likelihood of overheating the tyres in the high speed stuff.

CSL - there will be different ways to achieve the same thing. The Skills based tune uses a very hard rear and massive difference in ride height to induce oversteer, you're using -ve toe (toe out) at the rear, but the results are the same.

I am actually pretty happy with my first lot of times . .
Considering that i would struggle to tune a shopping trolley, the settings i came up with arent that bad!
I'll have another go at it tonight with a few ALIEN settings and see what damage that does to my splits.
Thanks for the settings and assistance guys, much appreciated!

Cheers All !!!

Now that my PS3 (replacement) finally returned from the service center (despite my GT5 save being completely worthless, so I had to start over and make a bit of money for this race), I can get back into this.

Running Plato's setup 👍 with custom gearing (still working on it, will post later if desired).

Plato tune 👍

T1: 22.800
T2: 29.046

Engine not fully broken in yet. Anyone know the max hp once broken in?

Yes with another tune - this tune is so extreme front to rear that toe doesn't help. And toe settings are generally more use in slower, technical sections - they reduce the tyres' effectiveness under braking and increase the likelihood of overheating the tyres in the high speed stuff.
Good enough for me, I never did much tuning in GT because it never seems to make a big difference, because it never works the way PD claims.

CSL - there will be different ways to achieve the same thing. The Skills based tune uses a very hard rear and massive difference in ride height to induce oversteer, you're using -ve toe (toe out) at the rear, but the results are the same.
Hopefully not the same, my car still plows like crap.:dunce:

RED - 5% from oil and break in each. 287-89 I expect.

I dropped .6 by switching my DF. Then I decided to try Vag's settings and BOOM its a different car :)

20 min with your settings :bowdown:

Not much left in it (.2 max?) for me unless I get lucky.

Jerome

Bit of improvement in T2

T1: 22.807
T2: 28.846

Gearing stock, except top speed at 155.

First splits after a half hour.
Hope to put some more time but it doesn't look like it at this point in time.
Maybe on Thursday.

Thanks for the tune, Plato. 👍

Thanks for the setting Plato, 6 second increase from stock. Used some of Vagabonds setting on brakes and gears. Look out Division 4, I like this car!

T1: 24.383
T2: 30.755

First splits after adjusting gear ratios only...

You mean the front being so soft - remember that the settings are reversed 👍 The rear is actually very hard which follows the principles used in RL for FWD race cars to induce oversteer/reduce understeer.
So in essence, the columns are inversed for front and back?

I played a little with the antiroll bars yesterday and noticed something strange was going on. I wanted to stiffen up (increase the number) the rear so it would be easier to toss the car in the corner, but I got the opposite effect, more understeer. I then stiffened the front up and loosened (decrease the number) the rear and the car behaved closer to what I expected.

Well that makes things interesting, was going to try to keep the front down and raise the rear like I used to do in GT3, but it would have been an utter failure. Now I understand what needs to be done. Good information in this thread!

I'm thinking that the only way to change the caster on the car is to max the rotation, high in the front / low in the rear = more rake or king pin inclination "KPI" = push. I went the other way to get more bite on the front end and then reduce the traction in the rear to get rid of the push, I'm still playing w/ the trade off. I'll have to suit up 4 cars w/ the different setups that have been posted to compare them.

I played a little with the antiroll bars yesterday and noticed something strange was going on. I wanted to stiffen up (increase the number) the rear so it would be easier to toss the car in the corner, but I got the opposite effect, more understeer. I then stiffened the front up and loosened (decrease the number) the rear and the car behaved closer to what I expected.

When I was racing every week at my local asphalt qrarter mile ovel no one would run a rear torsion bar at all, that was the only way we could get the cars to rotate through the corner.

Last edited:
I'm going to go try RKM's tune, even though I won't have the mid-range turbo.

Nice, Kenny!! 👍 :cheers:

Last edited:
Dramatic...just dramatic improvement by using the extreme setup posted by Plato...up to 2 flat seconds on the finish line.

T1: 23.273
T2: 29.766

I'm happy with my suspension setting, tomorrow I will mess with my transmission.

Ehh What the heck 5 more laps before bed :D

Last edited:
Back