GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 31 : Flyin' Down Mulsanne

• Thread starter EDK
  • 321 comments
Using an old clamp to hold my wheel to my desk
faithfull-g-clamp-102mm-4in-s.png

It does the job for now apart from the tightening lever keeps banging into my kneecap

I just went through the same thing you are and I decided to hard mount my DFGT wheel but you could do the same thing if you don't mind a couple of 1/4" holes in your desk.

If you split the case and look at the metal plates that the orig clamps bit down on. Drill a hole into the center of each one and sink some wood lags through the newly driled holes into the mounting surface and wha la.

Make sure you put the case back to gether w/ the broken clamps removed :lol:
and you can access the screws through the adjuster holes to quickly remove the wheel.

driving the long straith at over 400 km/h / 250 MPH

Man I thought 247 was the top and the easiest thing you can do while driving a car is to go in a straight line and I can't event do that right. :banghead:

As far as your video goes I was wondering the same thing, how big of a bite can we take at the end of the straight?

Last edited:
Updated Splits:

T1: 29.368
T2: 27.287
T3: 18.234
T4: 19.042
T5: 26.391

Got the first four sectors pretty well worked out and can pretty easily beat this T1-T4 by a good margin, but having a hard time learning last few sectors (and in particular T6) as it takes so long to get there I don't repeat often enough. Still guessing half the time what's coming next on those high speed turns and I haven't gotten "lucky" on it since the lap above. Job for tomorrow is to take the luck out of it and figure out a good rhythm through sector 6.

I think I am going to revisit the Online Dealer and complain that this thing burns oil. I think I've had to do 3-4 oil changes already to keep the HP up.

Wicked combo this week, cant wait to give it a proper go.
First splits:

Next try:

I Managed to scrape nearly 4 secs off my last best but theres plenty left. I've seen a 29.346 sector one but I ruined the lap at Porsche :(

And again...

Another 2 seconds off the total :) still room for improvement tho...

Yet again...

And 1 more second gone. Still plenty left in S1 & S5 but I feel like thats all i can get from the rest.

Another session...
Quiet happy with all of it now except sectors 6 & 7. The new gear ratios make a massive difference.

Probably my last go...
Made about a second at the line, questionable lap due to [picture]

+1 about the oil. It needs a change every 150k kms :banghead:

Last edited:
Where's all the D4 guys?

NINE_HUNDRED, are you going to give it a go this week?

Seems D4 participation has been lacking lately for whatever reason.

I think this is an awesome combo, I really like the prototype style cars on the soft racing tires.👍

So come out and play you D4 guys, maybe Speedy or DDiamond will put you in one of their cool videos.:)

So.....

I'm a full 2 seconds back at T2. Can we cut the inside right of that first chicane at the beginning of the lap? :confused:

Jerome

I'm not cutting it Jerome - if I did there'd easily be another 0.5 in Sector 1 I reckon. Crossing the line at about 140(ish)mph. There's no way to check in the fastest lap replay of course but speed at the start would be telling - I don't think its in the spirit of the WRS to start the lap cutting the chicane.

While driving the long straith at over 400 km/h / 250 MPH I've been carefull not to go too far on the red tarmac either as it's past the white line aswell. :nervous:
Holy snark! 250mph?! I'm maxing at 241... how are you doing that?

I'm taking that corner with the same wide entry but yeah, it is over the line. Any word on that Kev or should we just keep it tighter?

Man, this is just nasty stuff and now I have to make corner by corner rules, which I hate doing. :grumpy:

The problem is that Mulsanne is part of the track that is normally a public road, so some of the white lines are not necessarily intended as track boundaries.

I think the video demonstrates a "normal" line through that corner.

In the past, the red bits have not been track here, going back to the GT4 days. That was mainly about cutting the chicanes, but nonetheless, I want to be consistent there, so I'm sticking to that.

At this time, I would say the right hand turn at the end of Mulsanne is the clear and obvious exception to the white line rule. Not the right side, on the red stuff. But the left side, where the line is almost certainly there to denote a public road transition, not a racetrack boundary.

It will be a little more than 12 hours before I'm able to sit down with the console and start snapping photos, etc.

Until then, assume the sand is the track boundary on the left side of that turn, white lines in play everywhere else. Feel free to point out another area I might be missing, but I intend to go through it with a fine toothed comb tonight.

New Splits:

Not the cleanest of laps, I made one or two mistakes but i'm getting there. 1.8 seconds up at the line :) Topping out at 242mph instead of 240mph on the straight after some suspension tweaking (And holidng the wheel steadier). I don't know whether it was reducing the toe, increasing the near camber or lowering the ride height, but there seems to be less resistance and/or drag as a result.

EDIT:

The sectors aren't much better than my last, but I was a whole second up at the line :eek:

Last edited:
EDK
It will be a little more than 12 hours before I'm able to sit down with the console and start snapping photos, etc.

Thanks for all the hard work Kevin. Take heart as it's only about 1,000 miles around the track to check for oddities :crazy:

While you're busy doing that I'll be waiting in line at the oil change service center. :dunce: Maybe if they gave this thing a 6th gear I wouldn't be taxing the engine so much.

Actually I'd like to recapture all the time I'm going to spend this week going down that long straight trying to not get dizzy. Would be great if the straight was just long enough to get up to max speed and then rest of course would commence. I'm sure during a 24 hour race it's a nice moment to "catch your breath", but in these time trials it's a barrier between me and learning T6.

???
My online dealership never changes, what am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
-gt5 noob

???
My online dealership never changes, what am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
-gt5 noob

Hopefully you aren't the victim of a dealer update. It changes about every 2 weeks, but the car we are using for the event should be available for you to purchase. IIRC, it was toward the bottom right. There are more than just the 8 or 10 cars you see on the first screen, you scroll down to the bottom to find it.

Thought I would be smart by using another account with enough money to gift my GTP account this car. But the game refused such a noble gift. So I ended up having to grind for some money after all. But the pay-outs on the 24h Nurburgring are still great, so it took less then half an hour to get this beast. 👍

These splits are from my first clean lap, with all stock (except oil-change and adjusted end gears). In the replay I noticed a lot of places to gain time, so I'll be back (thank you Arnold). :dopey:

Using Chris's tune.👍

T1: 29.134
T2: 27.191
T3: 18.441
T4: 19.313
T5: 26.750

Chris, what are you seeing for a top speed with your gear settings? I'm getting 238 where I used to get 241 when I would set top speed to 267mph. It accelerates much faster now though. Still plenty of time left on the track.

Its a mission to get a clean lap in this combo.

T1: 29.669
T2: 27.292
T3: 18.241
T4: 19.462
T5: 26.905

I had a lap 1.5s faster till T5, but I put it in the sand on the last chicane of the lap, and now I can't seem to do it again:mad:🤬:banghead::scared:

Chris, what are you seeing for a top speed with your gear settings? I'm getting 238 where I used to get 241 when I would set top speed to 267mph. It accelerates much faster now though. Still plenty of time left on the track.

240 occasionally flicking up to 241 briefly.... 238 seems low. Make sure you're still at full power - my car is losing hp very quickly. Seems like it'll only do about 10 laps before it starts losing power. Other than that, not sure why you're losing 2mph on me with the same tune... :odd:

I'm not cutting it Jerome - if I did there'd easily be another 0.5 in Sector 1 I reckon. Crossing the line at about 140(ish)mph. There's no way to check in the fastest lap replay of course but speed at the start would be telling - I don't think its in the spirit of the WRS to start the lap cutting the chicane.

Agreed, I mean that first chicane once the timer starts not the chicane before the start/finish line.

Jerome

Agreed, I mean that first chicane once the timer starts not the chicane before the start/finish line.

Jerome

Ahhh right... I would've thought it was a given we wouldn't cut there. Or are you being ironic as opposed to suspicious? I took it as a serious question :dopey:

240 occasionally flicking up to 241 briefly.... 238 seems low. Make sure you're still at full power - my car is losing hp very quickly. Seems like it'll only do about 10 laps before it starts losing power. Other than that, not sure why you're losing 2mph on me with the same tune... :odd:

You are right, HP was down to 927. Didn't think to check oil that soon.:dunce: I will give it a run tonight.

You need to change oil every 200km and the track is 13 or 14km long, so if you do full laps you only get 15 tries. Easy to forget, especially if you restart often like me. :D

You need to change oil every 200km and the track is 13 or 14km long, so if you do full laps you only get 15 tries. Easy to forget, especially if you restart often like me. :D

I'm pretty happy with the time I posted then, being down 50hp. I restart often so I should give it a oil change before each session from now on. Thanks for the info guys.

Ahhh right... I would've thought it was a given we wouldn't cut there. Or are you being ironic as opposed to suspicious? I took it as a serious question :dopey:

No, just double checking is all :) Thanks 👍

Jerome

I'm pretty happy with the time I posted then, being down 50hp. I restart often so I should give it a oil change before each session from now on. Thanks for the info guys.

That's why I keep making these oil change jokes. I have to go beyond one oil change before a session and actually have had to stop a session in the middle to jump out and change oil.

It's clear when it's needed as the ghost is catching me almost like he's using my slipstream... very frustrating when you are on a flier lap and giving it away due to low quality oil. 👎

New splits, getting close to my limit now. Not sure I have any more speed than this. It's only Tuesday but I have put more time in already than any of my prevoius events.:crazy:

T1, 29.204
T2, 27.628
T3, 18.183
T4, 19.247
T5, 26.599

2 oil changes and some swearing later...

Seems I'm nailing Tertre Rouge quite well since my sector 2 is good. Struggling to stay fast through the first sector - 4 chances to make major mistakes there. Rest of the lap is so-so - a bit cautious on the throttle again going into the Porsche curves and a messy entry to the first chicane.

Edit - Found my rhythm I think. Too hesitant exiting Arnage and missed the apex again going into Porsche. Not much more in it for me though...

26.306 :scared:

Doncha just love this car when you nail it just right? :)

Edit edit: Where is everyone? Thought we'd be packed out this week?

Last edited:
EDK
Man, this is just nasty stuff and now I have to make corner by corner rules, which I hate doing. :grumpy:

The problem is that Mulsanne is part of the track that is normally a public road, so some of the white lines are not necessarily intended as track boundaries.

I think the video demonstrates a "normal" line through that corner.

In the past, the red bits have not been track here, going back to the GT4 days. That was mainly about cutting the chicanes, but nonetheless, I want to be consistent there, so I'm sticking to that.

At this time, I would say the right hand turn at the end of Mulsanne is the clear and obvious exception to the white line rule. Not the right side, on the red stuff. But the left side, where the line is almost certainly there to denote a public road transition, not a racetrack boundary.

Until then, assume the sand is the track boundary on the left side of that turn, white lines in play everywhere else. Feel free to point out another area I might be missing, but I intend to go through it with a fine toothed comb tonight.
Since you're going to go through, I've been wanting to ask about the rumbles, I saw you say white lines, which is simple enough for me, just wondering since the white lines go inside the rumbles if rumbles are still considered track this week?

Chris
I'm pretty sure Zoky and DHolland are tied up in the DC TT right now, still hoping some of them swing by here to make an appearance, there may be others too.

My routine...
Solid up to Arnage, spin. Restart.
Solid up to Arnage, take it to slow and loose to much time. Restart.
Solid up to Mulsanne, brake too early. Restart.
Brake too late at the first chicane. Restart
Get a good lap going only to mess up on the last chicane. Done for the night

So far, I've completed 3 laps..

My routine...
Solid up to Arnage, spin. Restart.
Solid up to Arnage, take it to slow and loose to much time. Restart.
Solid up to Mulsanne, brake too early. Restart.
Brake too late at the first chicane. Restart
Get a good lap going only to mess up on the last chicane. Done for the night

So far, I've completed 3 laps..

:lol: I see a pattern forming.

Instead of restarting, or pushing hard on your first lap, just do an out lap and warm your tyres, then hit it on lap 2. Believe me, this bugger benefits from warm front tyres. 👍

Changed my setup slightly:

Aero
60/84

Suspension
10/-15
14.2/15.1
9/9
8/8
6/6
3.0/1.2
0.00/-0.25

LSD
7/10/5

Brakes
5/7
ABS 9

Gears
Set Max Speed to 211mph
Then adjust Final to 3111
Adjust individual gears to:
1st 2752
2nd 1800
3rd 1337
4th 1042
5th 0835

Gutted...after suggesting this as a potential WRS event, I've been out of action with gastro. Might be lapping tomorrow but I've lost a fair chuck of track time already :grumpy:

How's everyone doing for top speed? In '89 this car qualified on pole for Le Mans and was clocked at 401km/h down Mulsanne!!

Gutted...after suggesting this as a potential WRS event, I've been out of action with gastro. Might be lapping tomorrow but I've lost a fair chuck of track time already :grumpy:

How's everyone doing for top speed? In '89 this car qualified on pole for Le Mans and was clocked at 401km/h down Mulsanne!!
That would be 249 mph, best I'm getting is 243 I think. I'll double check, not quite broken in yet. (168 mi)

I'll be posting a drastically differing setup later on.:scared:

T1: 30.696
T2: 28.171
T3: 17.863
T4: 19.039
T5: 27.168

I didnt start tuning with a goal in mind to set the fastest sector time thru T3. I just slapped on a trial tune that usually works ok for me on most cars and what do you know its fast down the straight and slow thru the corners but...alot of that I think is I dont really know how to drive Sarthe ultra quickly and clean....yet.

Latest Posts

Back